Regeneration is a liability for Necro

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Jelzouki.4128

Jelzouki.4128

Drarnor Kunoram: Allow me to clarify the OP:
Regeneration’s effect, like all healing, is blocked by Death Shroud. Unlike some professions, Necromancers have no benefits simply for having a boon and get no special benefit from Regeneration specifically either. No runes will give a benefit for having Regeneration or generic boons either. As such, a Necromancer in Death Shroud is literally receiving no benefit from the boon.
However, there are things that punish the Necromancer for having the boon. Other Necromancers can corrupt it to poison via Corrupt Boon, Well of Corruption, or Path of Corruption. Mesmers and Thieves can steal it with Arcane Thievery, Bountiful Theft, or Larcenous Strike. Mesmers can copy it with Mimic, Necros strip it for extra damage with Spinal Shivers, or Warriors get bonus damage from Destruction of the Empowered.
Unlike traits or skills that get benefits from conditions on a target, the counterplay of removal is not present for boons. Nobody can end their own boon sooner than it would naturally expire. As such, the Regeneration boon turns from buff to liability when a Necromacer activates death shroud.

Original Post:
Regeneration is a boon, and boons are supposed to support your profession, but when Necromancer use there main mechanic for survivability & damage (deathshroud), regeneration does not work.

Let me explain why this is counter productive: it just acts as a boon that does nothing. It can be stripped for damage and corrupted into poison. Can we at least get an explanation from the devs on this one?!?!?!?

http://strawpoll.me/3648686/r Queue for PvP from any map. Vote Here. Zojoel [ASAP Zerg]

(edited by Jelzouki.4128)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Allow me to clarify the OP:

Regeneration’s effect, like all healing, is blocked by Death Shroud. Unlike some professions, Necromancers have no benefits simply for having a boon and get no special benefit from Regeneration specifically either. No runes will give a benefit for having Regeneration or generic boons either. As such, a Necromancer in Death Shroud is literally receiving no benefit from the boon.

However, there are things that punish the Necromancer for having the boon. Other Necromancers can corrupt it to poison via Corrupt Boon, Well of Corruption, or Path of Corruption. Mesmers and Thieves can steal it with Arcane Thievery, Bountiful Theft, or Larcenous Strike. Mesmers can copy it with Mimic, Necros strip it for extra damage with Spinal Shivers, or Warriors get bonus damage from Destruction of the Empowered.

Unlike traits or skills that get benefits from conditions on a target, the counterplay of removal is not present for boons. Nobody can end their own boon sooner than it would naturally expire. As such, the Regeneration boon turns from buff to liability when a Necromacer activates death shroud.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Roe.3679

Roe.3679

This is why I’ve mentioned having a necromancer specific boon that works just like soothin mist, but also works in death shroud. Necros actually can get a decent amount of regen (mark of blood, reapers touch, blood magic minor adept trait, well of power), but it doesn’t help when you would most need the healing.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: killahmayne.9518

killahmayne.9518

Obviously things would have to be rebalanced, but I think peripheral heals like Regeneration, heals from water blasting should be applicable in death shroud.

However, the thing with that is that ANet will probably compensate with a nerf to Death Shroud.

Mace/Greatsword Video (Sept Patch)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoAjKtD6MLY

in Profession Balance

Roe.3679

Obviously things would have to be rebalanced, but I think peripheral heals like Regeneration, heals from water blasting should be applicable in death shroud.

However, the thing with that is that ANet will probably compensate with a nerf to Death Shroud.

I wiser approach would be to begin allowing more healing in death shroud, such as from our own traits that are shut down by death shroud. Then allowing some healing in as a percentage if necessary. But seeing as how any other class is never prevented from healing received, and necromancers have longstanding issues with sustain, I can’t see it being overpowered.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Sebastian Knight.4736

Sebastian Knight.4736

Since the devs are obviously terrified of necromancers healing themselves while turtling in death shroud, what do you all think of regeneration and other healing effects restoring life force while in death shroud rather than health? So if the necro has regeneration on and goes into death shroud, the remaining regen duration will add to their life force.

in Profession Balance

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

This is why I’ve mentioned having a necromancer specific boon that works just like soothin mist, but also works in death shroud. Necros actually can get a decent amount of regen (mark of blood, reapers touch, blood magic minor adept trait, well of power), but it doesn’t help when you would most need the healing.

I’d rather just have Regeneration work normally in death shroud than creating a necro-specific boon.

I’m a Geeleiver

(edited by Drarnor Kunoram.5180)

in Profession Balance

Roe.3679

I’d rather just have Regeneration work normally in death shroud than creating a necro-specific boon.

Fair enough, but this also in some way addresses necro’s lack of unique group buffs.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

Since the devs are obviously terrified of necromancers healing themselves while turtling in death shroud, what do you all think of regeneration and other healing effects restoring life force while in death shroud rather than health? So if the necro has regeneration on and goes into death shroud, the remaining regen duration will add to their life force.

isn’t that just pretty much healing anyway? XD
life force acts as a degenerating health extension.
so regen effecting it would pretty much be like healing the necro

in Profession Balance

Jelzouki.4128

Thanks!

http://strawpoll.me/3648686/r Queue for PvP from any map. Vote Here. Zojoel [ASAP Zerg]

in Profession Balance

Posted by: coglin.1867

coglin.1867

Yeah they can just allow it to work. If they feel there is some balance issue, it seems to me there are a hundred other ways to make small adjustments for it. In this case, it kind of seems to me, that someone was trying to out smart their own common sense by making it function in this manner.

A video on what weak PvPer’s and WvWer’s want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Baltzenger.2467

Baltzenger.2467

Or, make poison heal you while on death shroud, also blasting on a poison field, give you a similar effect as blasting on a water field for the rest.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: TyPin.9860

TyPin.9860

Why not just give regeneration an additional effect?
Lowers DS degeneration by 33% or something like that.

[ROSE] – Fissure of Woe
Chronomancy works, I am proof of it. Now stop asking me questions. Time must be preserved!

in Profession Balance

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Why not just give regeneration an additional effect?
Lowers DS degeneration by 33% or something like that.

That particular effect can cause some problems with Vital Persistence. With just one or two methods of gaining life force in death shroud, it would be possible for a necro to stay in death shroud for massively long periods of time, potentially indefinitely in WvW, for example.

I’m a Geeleiver

in Profession Balance

Posted by: zapv.8051

zapv.8051

At this point I just wish anet would allow all healing in DS and nerf DS to compensate.

Necros don’t have reflects, invulns, vigor, blocks,
extra dodges, real stability, mobility skills,
burst skills, sustain, or good support. GG ANET.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: TheLastNobody.8319

TheLastNobody.8319

Honestly, I feel they should just allow regeneration and siphons to go through, along with our signet effects (but deny access to using the actives)

Necro’s are so balanced around the best possible scenarios it is ridiculous!

A knight in shining armor is a man who never had his metal truly tested.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Bhawb.7408

Bhawb.7408

Death Shroud cannot be allowed to continue countering other defensive mechanics. If this requires a nerf in some ways, then so be it.

But of Corpse – Watch us on YouTube
My PvP Minion Build

in Profession Balance

TheLastNobody.8319

Death Shroud cannot be allowed to continue countering other defensive mechanics. If this requires a nerf in some ways, then so be it.

Please don’t give anet any ideas. We don’t need anymore nerfs to our profession than we already have. They might do something like allow 10 percent of a heal to go through deathshroud, but make us require 50% life force for us to enter it and a cooldown time of 50%!

in Profession Balance

Posted by: zapv.8051

zapv.8051

Please don’t give anet any ideas. We don’t need anymore nerfs to our profession than we already have. They might do something like allow 10 percent of a heal to go through deathshroud, but make us require 50% life force for us to enter it and a cooldown time of 50%!

It is ok to take 1 step back if you get 2 steps forward. Give Anet some credit, their recent balance patches have all been on point overall. The only absurd thing I have seen recently is the nerf to Well of Blood. If you aren’t willing to accept some nerfs than the class will probably never see the buffs you want. Either that or they will get the buffs and then get massive nerfs later because it is too strong.

Necros don’t have reflects, invulns, vigor, blocks,
extra dodges, real stability, mobility skills,
burst skills, sustain, or good support. GG ANET.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Elitist.8701

Elitist.8701

Lol. The last thing we need is for Necros to become more OP. NTY.

Best Multiclass NA. RIP my beautiful Necromancer, such a shame. Retired, April 2015. GG Anet,
I’m not coming back, not that you care.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

It’s ironic that you mention mesmers copying the boon with mimic because taking that utility is also like equipping yourself with a major liability :p

in Profession Balance

TheLastNobody.8319

It is ok to take 1 step back if you get 2 steps forward. Give Anet some credit, their recent balance patches have all been on point overall. The only absurd thing I have seen recently is the nerf to Well of Blood. If you aren’t willing to accept some nerfs than the class will probably never see the buffs you want. Either that or they will get the buffs and then get massive nerfs later because it is too strong.

Honestly would be fine with that, still just a bit hesitant after that September patch. Major plus, we can finally interact in death shroud. I was really disappointed in that they really didn’t do anything with siphons though when they said they would buff our sustain…and all they did was shave ten seconds off of spectral armor and add 1 second to signet of vampirism. The buff to axe was nice I’ll admit, but didn’t really seem to do much, for me at least. The nerf to lich i’m cool with now because I don’t think there was a time I stayed transformed the full 30 seconds. Plus the bug with flesh of the master…could go on with minion AI as well but I won’t because they do need to be careful with that. Don’t want them accidentally messing up the whole game just to rush a fix for us.

If they wanted to do something with terrormancer, I’d be fine with it, think the biggest problem is Reaper’s protection and just how well nightmare runes synergize with us because of terror, least that’s what I think.

I am looking forward to the Staff #1 buff and the dagger #2 buff, but am still cautious. Annnnd that is my rather long winded two cents.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

Please go somewhere where your opinion matters and is supported by arguments.

54 infractions and counting because a moderator doesn’t understand a joke when he/she sees it.
E.A.D.

in Profession Balance

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

It’s ironic that you mention mesmers copying the boon with mimic because taking that utility is also like equipping yourself with a major liability :p

Difference is, you can (albeit rarely) get great benefit from mimic. Too rarely to warrant bringing, sure, but the skill itself isn’t designed to be a buff, but actually hurts you. It’s designed to be a buff and it always helps you.

Regardless, I was listing it for completeness, not because I thought it ever actually came up.

I’m a Geeleiver

in Profession Balance

Jelzouki.4128

You need to re-evaluate your skill level if you think Necromancer is overpowered.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: The Game Slayer.7632

The Game Slayer.7632

You need to re-evaluate your skill level if you think Necromancer is overpowered.

Don’t mind him. He thinks every class except thief is OP. Either that, or he’s and explicit troll. It seem’s he’s trying to get back at all the professions that claimed thieves were op back in the day.(and still are)

I am a teef
:)

in Profession Balance

Jelzouki.4128

Difference is, you can (albeit rarely) get great benefit from mimic. Too rarely to warrant bringing, sure, but the skill itself isn’t designed to be a buff, but actually hurts you. It’s designed to be a buff and it always helps you.

Regardless, I was listing it for completeness, not because I thought it ever actually came up.

I mean, if regeneration wasn’t truly intended to function while in deathshroud or the developers just think it won’t work, I would like to see us not getting punished for having it, as you have described.