Skill Bar - Balance Preview w/Karl on RU 7.25 @ Noon PDT

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Mark Katzbach

Mark Katzbach

Content Marketing Manager

Hey everybody,

There’s already a post about tomorrow’s Ready Up in the PvP forum, but I thought I’d pop over here and give you guys a head’s up about what you can expect to see from a balance perspective.

The Skill Bar segment is a prerecorded balance preview, much like the previews that used to be posted on the forums. Each segment will cover 2 professions and Karl will talk about the changes as they are demonstrated. We decided to prerecord these segments because it allows us to cut down each profession from over 15 minutes to about 5 while still allowing us to show off the changes without making you wait for Karl to make build changes on the fly.

Tomorrow’s segment will cover Engineer and Ranger. For your feedback, please feel free to open a new thread (for each profession previewed) in the profession balance subforum after the preview and I’ll make sure the balance team knows where to find it.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Wyrden.4713

Wyrden.4713

could we get the info of when u gonna do wich proffessions? like.. wich 2 proffession will be next time after ranger and engineer

just my ytb channel

FeintFate~

in Profession Balance

Posted by: leman.7682

leman.7682

8 professions / 2 professions/stream = 4 streams
4 streams / 1/2 streams/week = 8 weeks
8 weeks / 4 weeks/month = 2 months

Conclusion – next balance patch no sooner than in two months.

Touche, Anet, touche.

Leman

(edited by leman.7682)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

Can we get a text version today that can highlight the highlights we’ll get tomorrow in video form? Highlights are fun!

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Ithir Darkleaf.7923

Ithir Darkleaf.7923

Conclusion – next balance path no sooner than in two months.

Touche, Anet, touche.

I hope that this isn’t what is going to happen. I REALLY do :S

~ The light of a new day

in Profession Balance

Posted by: nightwulf.1986

nightwulf.1986

Touche, Anet, touche.

Why would they talk about balance choices long after the patch hits instead of before?

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Bhawb.7408

Bhawb.7408

Guaranteed patch in 2 months > a patch at some point maybe in the future (probably not)

But of Corpse – Watch us on YouTube
My PvP Minion Build

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Yoh.8469

Yoh.8469

Conclusion – next balance patch no sooner than in two months.

Touche, Anet, touche.

Sooooo, business as usual then?
Somehow I don’t see this wooing me back to the game.

I’m also willing to bet the hobosack is still going nowhere.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: BobbyT.7192

BobbyT.7192

Balance patch update, just in time for Halloween, yay,

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Relshdan.6854

Relshdan.6854

so much talk about balance…so little implementation. its nice to talk……to see where the devs might want to take the classes…..but so little ever materializes.

last real balance patch (skills/traits) was Dec. 2013…..the only other balance patch was mainly the rune/sigil redo in April.

having to wait another two months for the next real balance patch is insane.

implementing many balance changes every 11 months is horrific balance iteration. why not spread it out and do a few shaves/changes every month? waiting almost a year for devs to recalibrate the numbers or reverse miscalculated changes is so frustrating.

….and this doesn’t even take into consideration bug fixing broken skills and traits……which seems to happen at an even slower pace.

Chaos Organ (Ele), Pistol Opera (Thief), Modular Man (Eng)
MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

(edited by Relshdan.6854)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: tetrodoxin.2134

tetrodoxin.2134

If you’re already cutting prerecorded material down each to 5 minutes per class, why limit “The Skill Bar” to 2 professions per cast? I’m pretty sure the community can handle more classes at once, and the feedback threads won’t just disappear. Plus, you can always lock threads if you got enough feedback. I’d understand the limit if Karl would do it live, but since it’s prerecorded…

Like the others, I also fear 2 more months without bug fixing and balancing.

Anet hates [your class], since [other classes] got buffs while [your class] only received nerfs.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Xaylin.1860

Xaylin.1860

I’m looking forward to the Skill Bar Segment. I always enjoy getting insights.

I got to admit, though, that I’m not very thrilled when assuming that the next real balance patch will be in September. The stagnating PvP meta bores the hell out of me especially since Mesmers got the short end of the stick for a pretty long time now.

On a different note: Buhhh, does this mean no CD threads for other classes?

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Fix conditions! Also, fix the ranger pet! Do those two things, and then we can talk balancing classes.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: NinjaEd.3946

NinjaEd.3946

Fix conditions! Also, fix the ranger pet! Do those two things, and then we can talk balancing classes.

Those are both balance issues. Unless your talking about “fixing” your pet, in which I have to say how rude. Just because they didn’t live up to your expectations doesn’t mean you take away their pride and joy ; ;

“I’m waiting for the staff to get off their lunch
break. I feel like they should be back by now..”

in Profession Balance

Posted by: McWolfy.5924

McWolfy.5924

Rangers? We will see it

WSR→Piken→Deso→Piken→FSP→Deso
Just the WvW
R3200+

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Rangers? We will see it

it was the last CDI made right?

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Miltek.2104

Miltek.2104

Just tell us something new and don’t repeat old stuff form CDI.
Just be straight and any jokes about “bearbow”.

We want facts not opinions.

Trust me. I’m engineer

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

It’s a huge undertaking but yeah, we need some way to viably use conditions. :s
And the whole pet-AI needs to be rewritten, for all pets.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Relshdan.6854

Relshdan.6854

some nice buffs/lateral changes announced…….but where are the nerfs? Not that ranger needed any, but it seems they chose to only show buffs. I can’t imagine engi isn’t getting some nerfs…

Chaos Organ (Ele), Pistol Opera (Thief), Modular Man (Eng)
MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

in Profession Balance

Posted by: coglin.1867

coglin.1867

some nice buffs/lateral changes announced…….but where are the nerfs? Not that ranger needed any, but it seems they chose to only show buffs. I can’t imagine engi isn’t getting some nerfs…

They are nerfing the knock back on turrets. They do not innately have a knock back, but it is very common to invest in the trait when using them. With the change, instead of knocking you back and/or on your backside, they simply knock you back in the manner of a push, to a range of 150.

What nerfs do you think an engineer needs? It seems to me what they were doing, is trying to add some value to skills, particularly gadgets, that were to limited, or out done by other skills, to be used very often, if at all.

A video on what weak PvPer’s and WvWer’s want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c

in Profession Balance

Posted by: lakdav.3694

lakdav.3694

Can we please get a tiny little checkbox for kit backpack visibility please? I would like to enjoy using these more useful kits now, without throwing out my customized looks. Im sure it cant be such a complicated issue.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

Those rapid fire and entangle changes look scary for eles. I guess I’ll really have to train my reflexes…

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

Those rapid fire and entangle changes look scary for eles. I guess I’ll really have to train my reflexes…

For eles?

You guys have ground target burns evades,dodges , i even believe you can destroy the vines by simply swapping attunement..
Necro is the profession thats gonna get screwed with these changes.. ^^

54 infractions and counting because a moderator doesn’t understand a joke when he/she sees it.
E.A.D.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

So I watched skillbar on the ready up and was impressed by the changes to both Ranger & Engineer.

The skillbar format itself is excellent and a big improvement, delivering a lot of information in a easy to follow 5 minute burst. It also looked very professional, slick.

However, I think Anet are missing a ‘trick’ here. Why wait till all 8 classes have been covered by ready up before implementing them in game? If the Ranger/Engineer balance changes are ready to go, then put them ingame at the next update!

The advantages of this:-

1. You are currently getting a lot of posts of players bored to death by the current meta. Releasing 2 characters balance changes in a update, means your going to change the meta, 4 times in 2 months. No one will complain about a boring 4 month long meta then.

2. Releasing this way, will see 4 surges of players flocking back to GW2 to try the balance changes.

3. Number of people playing both sPvP and WvW will go up because again players will want to test there ‘new’ skils on other players.

4. Players will have 2 weeks to figure out the ‘new’ Ranger & Engineer and then the next 2 weeks figure out the 2 new classes etc…It continues skillbars method of putting the spotlight on 2 classes at a time.

Please like/comment if you want those balance changes in the next update or the one after, rather than 2 months+ from now.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

My guess is that staff eles, which are finally use in sPvP, would be utterly destroyed by the ranger in this balance update. So it could be that these planned changes, which have the potential to be somewhat overpowered, are countered partially by some other changes they have yet to finalize.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Gorni.1764

Gorni.1764

My guess is that staff eles, which are finally use in sPvP, would be utterly destroyed by the ranger in this balance update. So it could be that these planned changes, which have the potential to be somewhat overpowered, are countered partially by some other changes they have yet to finalize.

great, then I can’t play staff not only when there’s a thief in the enemy team but also when there’s a ranger …

Rachat – Elementalist (Abbadon’s Mouth)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

Magnetic Shield… Just sayin….

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Gorni.1764

Gorni.1764

and the other 25 seconds? One rapid fire without magnetic aura available and ele is dead

rangers have always been strong against eles

Rachat – Elementalist (Abbadon’s Mouth)

(edited by Gorni.1764)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

and the other 25 seconds? One rapid fire without magnetic aura available and ele is dead

Rapid Fire’s damage isn’t changing a bit. It just occours in less time now.

There are a couple of advantages and disadvantages regarding this.

1. If you are slow on the dodge, or don’t have active defense available immedietly, you eat more damage. However, if you do have a channeled block or a dodge roll, you also avoid a lot more damage than before.

2. More time to use other skills, but also Retaliation becomes even more dangerous as it’s harder to break the channel in time to avoid eating the damage. This one also applies to Barrage.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

in Profession Balance

Posted by: NinjaEd.3946

NinjaEd.3946

You have to keep in mind that although rapid fire will occur faster, that also means if you dodge you dodge more attacks. Rapid fire gains its damage from all the arrows hitting, if you dodge you will likely dodge 2-3 hits right there and if they have quickness likely 5 or so. So yes face tanking it will not be your best option but it still has to connect a lot of arrows to amount to any big numbers. There is also always LoS.

“I’m waiting for the staff to get off their lunch
break. I feel like they should be back by now..”

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

Not to mention staff ele has a reflect…

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Wyrden.4713

Wyrden.4713

seems fair, i always felt as if i am doing terribad against rangers as ele

against any kind of real experienced ranger

just my ytb channel

FeintFate~

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Lorelei.3918

Lorelei.3918

The longbow isn’t getting that big of a buff to overall dps. 10% more attack speed(with gm trait) and Rapid Fire doing same damage in half the time. Since they aren’t lowering Rapid Fire’s cooldown time or raising its base damage, its damage over time remains the same. It’s just a bit more bursty now. So if we’re talking a 20 second span of fight time, the actual felt damage over time difference is going to be 10% more, coming from the buffed RtW trait.

Also remember quickness is a percent function. A 4 second channel with quickness becomes 2 seconds. A 2 second channel becomes 1 second. So the difference this change makes when quickness is factored in is only 1 second.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Adrian Guardian.9480

Adrian Guardian.9480

The longbow isn’t getting that big of a buff to overall dps. 10% more attack speed(with gm trait) and Rapid Fire doing same damage in half the time. Since they aren’t lowering Rapid Fire’s cooldown time or raising its base damage, its damage over time remains the same. It’s just a bit more bursty now. So if we’re talking a 20 second span of fight time, the actual felt damage over time difference is going to be 10% more, coming from the buffed RtW trait.

Also remember quickness is a percent function. A 4 second channel with quickness becomes 2 seconds. A 2 second channel becomes 1 second. So the difference this change makes when quickness is factored in is only 1 second.

It’s more than 10%: the reduced activation time gives you 2.5 more autoattacks per rapid fire usage. So if rapid fire does 10k damage and long range shot does 2k (made up numbers), kitten window which previously did 10k damage would with the buff do 14-16k damage.

Also, wouldn’t rapid fire be available every 12.5s instead of every 15s (unsure if that’s how cooldown work, think so) with an activation time decrease?

Quickness doesn’t work like that anymore, it reduces activation time by 1.5 times.

(edited by Adrian Guardian.9480)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Quickness doesn’t work like that anymore, it reduces activation time by 25%.

fixed that for you.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

in Profession Balance

Posted by: HHR LostProphet.4801

HHR LostProphet.4801

Touche, Anet, touche.

Why would they talk about balance choices long after the patch hits instead of before?

To build up hype.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Soilder.3607

Soilder.3607

So I watched skillbar on the ready up and was impressed by the changes to both Ranger & Engineer.

The skillbar format itself is excellent and a big improvement, delivering a lot of information in a easy to follow 5 minute burst. It also looked very professional, slick.

However, I think Anet are missing a ‘trick’ here. Why wait till all 8 classes have been covered by ready up before implementing them in game? If the Ranger/Engineer balance changes are ready to go, then put them ingame at the next update!

The advantages of this:-

1. You are currently getting a lot of posts of players bored to death by the current meta. Releasing 2 characters balance changes in a update, means your going to change the meta, 4 times in 2 months. No one will complain about a boring 4 month long meta then.

2. Releasing this way, will see 4 surges of players flocking back to GW2 to try the balance changes.

3. Number of people playing both sPvP and WvW will go up because again players will want to test there ‘new’ skils on other players.

4. Players will have 2 weeks to figure out the ‘new’ Ranger & Engineer and then the next 2 weeks figure out the 2 new classes etc…It continues skillbars method of putting the spotlight on 2 classes at a time.

Please like/comment if you want those balance changes in the next update or the one after, rather than 2 months+ from now.

Yes, please release the ranger and engi changes next patch. I can’t wait any longer.

Stormbluff Isle

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Canidae Canis.2861

Canidae Canis.2861

Just wanted to say that the skill bar Ready Up was great. Concise and filled with upcoming changes. Just what we needed, Anet! Thanks

in Profession Balance

Posted by: T raw.4658

T raw.4658

Rapid fire changes is a good boost in th DPS department and also goes against their vision of non burst oriented class.

Rangers have always been a great class and viable in all aspects of the game. These changes are not needed and should be taken off the table. Please anet stop listening to the least skilled most vocal players

Thanks

A concerned customer

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Kibazuka.1390

Kibazuka.1390

Rapid fire changes is a good boost in th DPS department and also goes against their vision of non burst oriented class.

Rangers have always been a great class and viable in all aspects of the game. These changes are not needed and should be taken off the table. Please anet stop listening to the least skilled most vocal players

Thanks

A concerned customer

Do you want to say longbow, as it stands right now, is a fine and functioning weapon?
hint: it is not. The weapon is absolute garbage in every single game mode and format, it HAS to get some sort of buffs.

Ranger – Drakkar Lake[DE]
Full melee Ranger since August 2012