IMHO: why Evon could never win the vote

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Aeri.5738

Aeri.5738

This is no QQ thread, I’m fine with the outcome of the vote (although as we all know Evon was the far better candidate :-P )

My problem with the whole thing is, that I think Evon started at a bad place.
Kiel was the Hero of the past few updates and people had a chance to get to know her better.
When Evon came up, he was introduced as the bad guy, the antagonist.
This made me spend my first few tokens for Kiel.
as I realized, that Evon might just be the more exciting character (for me) I felt a bit – cheated on. I didn’t know this guy at all, I had no idea what was going on.
In the end, I spend like 60/40 for Evon

So IMHO, Evon should have gotte na bigger role in the last few updates to let the playerbase get to know him better.

All I can hope for is, that ANET doesn’t let Evon die in a quiet corner.
As the vote was very tight, you should consider adding more relevant story to and around Evon Gnashblade.

“We just don’t want players to grind in GW2.” – Well, I guess you really failed, ANet!
Update 5.9.2013: getting better ANet, still way to go!
A Lannister always pays his debts – For everyone else, there’s Mastercard.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

Agreed – surprised it was so close at all what with Kiel being so predominant in recent stories and Evon only a greedy merchant.

Now let’s wait for the story developments until it comes to pass that Kiel is and has been a scheming bad guy all along in consort with the Aetherblades… looking forward to pointing fingers at all the Kiel voters then

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Lucky.9421

Lucky.9421

I don’t know 48-52 is pretty close, but everyone knows that was mainly because of the fractal. If Kiel had Abbadon, it would have been a massacre. I would have voted for her.

For what it was worth, I enjoyed Evon’s character more, mainly for the hilarity of his voice lines. At least we’ll always have Southsun. Q__Q

“HAHAHA…one of you is an excellent survivor” xD

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: azureai.9764

azureai.9764

I think the devs did try to balance Evon’s bad start by giving him the more desirable fractal and a stronger reward. I think they were banking on non-casual players voting for Evon.

Unfortunately, they really should have bothered to write the opening scenes with Evon as more than ANet’s typical cackling villain. I would have been shocked, but ANet storywriters haven’t shown any ability to write nuanced characters. They can do humor well, but every character is either a mary sue or is written as a cackling villain. And Evon suffered for that.

in Cutthroat Politics

Posted by: Varqov.6984

Varqov.6984

All I know is that people in my guild voted for Ellen simply because they don’t care about reduced cost of black lion keys and wanted reduced waypoint travel more. Casual players look at that stuff and don’t pay much attention to backstory.

Nobody I know voted for Evon because nobody I know cares about black lion chests. Most of the stuff you get from the chests, we have gotten for free through achievement chests, etc. We have 250+ black lion chests just sitting in the guild bank as I write this with no plan for anyone to actually open them.