Epilogue: That's it? (spoilers, obv)

in Battle for Lion’s Arch - Aftermath

Posted by: Traveller.7496

Traveller.7496

So, only thing that we get is the “heroes” stand around in a bar making jokes. The PC tells them it’s a Dragon and Kasmeer is surprised. (has she been living in a barrel?) Then Marjory’s sister comes in (?) and drops a hint about going to Brisban wildlands, which is about the only interesting thing about this. After standing there and listening their yammering some more you get a reward (which you deserve) and can leave. And you’re left hanging with a feeling of … lacklusterness.

But yes, I was really disappointed that so many plotlines were left unanswered and the focus was on these NPC’s the devs are trying hard to push as interesting characters. So fitting end to the living story, I guess.

Posted by: ViralVarda.2739

ViralVarda.2739

Two sentences of a dragon and that’s it. No one saying, “shouldn’t we go try to find the dragon?” Instead it’s, “my leg hurts,” “I don’t wanna talk about things, I wanna make things,” “I just asked for a chicken,” and “here’s my sister, and I’m a lesbian.” They vaguely alluded to Scarlet interrupting the leyline because she wanted to mess with the dragon. So… Mord didn’t ask her to do it? Why isn’t anyone worried about a new dragon? Why isn’t anyone researching the new dragon?

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

So, only thing that we get is the “heroes” stand around in a bar making jokes. The PC tells them it’s a Dragon and Kasmeer is surprised. (has she been living in a barrel?) Then Marjory’s sister comes in (?) and drops a hint about going to Brisban wildlands, which is about the only interesting thing about this. After standing there and listening their yammering some more you get a reward (which you deserve) and can leave. And you’re left hanging with a feeling of … lacklusterness.

But yes, I was really disappointed that so many plotlines were left unanswered and the focus was on these NPC’s the devs are trying hard to push as interesting characters. So fitting end to the living story, I guess.

Did anyone else believe that was a party?

Not one had a drink or food and didn’t exhibit any party-like exuberance.

Not only that, that was the quietest part I have ever seen, no band, and these are the heroes of Tyria in a tiny place without the grandeur of the city they are sitting in with its Queen still firmly on the throne?

Ok, so where’s the dragon and how do we do anything when there is no direction to the dragon or any ability to rebuild our city.

A blank week?

I am as confused as anyone else.

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

Posted by: Calys Teneb.7015

Calys Teneb.7015

Did anyone else believe that was a party?

Not one had a drink or food and didn’t exhibit any party-like exuberance.

Not only that, that was the quietest part I have ever seen, no band, and these are the heroes of Tyria in a tiny place without the grandeur of the city they are sitting in with its Queen still firmly on the throne?

Ok, so where’s the dragon and how do we do anything when there is no direction to the dragon or any ability to rebuild our city.

A blank week?

I am as confused as anyone else.

Rox and Braham had cups.

Posted by: NEOCROM.8957

NEOCROM.8957

Take care of the wounded, get healthy, and only after you got enough power you must go after an ancient dragon. I dont think we will see some action too soon.

Posted by: Fafnir.5124

Fafnir.5124

Because the pale tree already knows everything about this dragon and is holding out from us. Caneths return… So it would be a waste of time for them to be researching it vs. combating it.

-I want to know what happens to the impenetrable separatist and nightmare fort that is there. No lore on why those two groups teamed up yet.

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

Two sentences of a dragon and that’s it. No one saying, “shouldn’t we go try to find the dragon?” Instead it’s, “my leg hurts,” “I don’t wanna talk about things, I wanna make things,” “I just asked for a chicken,” and “here’s my sister, and I’m a lesbian.” They vaguely alluded to Scarlet interrupting the leyline because she wanted to mess with the dragon. So… Mord didn’t ask her to do it? Why isn’t anyone worried about a new dragon? Why isn’t anyone researching the new dragon?

Why isn’t anyone worried about a new dragon?

Did you miss the part where Marjory’s sister says she going to Brisban Wildlands for a while?

Has anyone been to Brisban to see if there are any changes yet?

Posted by: Carcerus.9107

Carcerus.9107

It was pretty consistent with the rest of the Living Story.

/shrug

Posted by: LastShot.4762

LastShot.4762

Technically none of the npcs should know it’s a dragon(unless scarlet left some hints somewhere), all they can see is a beam shooting out of a giant drill, only players know it’s mordy cause we see where the beam actually lead to at the end.

Posted by: cubed.2853

cubed.2853

ist only $$$… new hairstyles and new minis. minis that look – i guess – pretty boring, that cannot swin and so on…
i gave up on *net… guild wars 2 is just [insert bad words here]…

it was written…

Posted by: Etien.4601

Etien.4601

UH-HUH
15 chars/

Drop Acid Not Bombs (Richie Hawtin)

Posted by: Oulov.7913

Oulov.7913

“Uh-huh” pretty much sums up all this party and this patch. Did you guys really expect something more interesting than “my leg hurts”? hhahhaah

(edited by Oulov.7913)

Posted by: clint.5681

clint.5681

Well it doesnt sound any worse than the living story usually is.

Rangir Dangir – Ranger | Mr. Ragr- Guardian| Sneak Stab – Thief | Mr. Ragir- Warrior
[url=https://] [/url]

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

It sounds like her sister going to get in some type of problem and this is how the Mag part of the map is going to open up. Its a set up for the next arc that how you wright things after a climax you have a fast fall in action. Did you think we where going to fight a dragon today?

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: Ray.6149

Ray.6149

The PC tells them it’s a Dragon and Kasmeer is surprised. (has she been living in a barrel???)

She probably forget to look at the cinematic…

Cavalieri Del Destino [CDD] – Piken Square
www.cavalierideldestino.com

Posted by: Harbinger.8637

Harbinger.8637

I wasn’t expecting much with it being a maintenance patch and all, but seriously…

Uh-huh pretty much does sums it all up.

Guardian WvW Guide!
Heavens Rage

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

Anybody else feel that Marjory’s sister has been shown just so she can be killed off in the next Living Story release? You know, give Marjory a personal reason to go kill a dragon.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

Traveller.7496

Anybody else feel that Marjory’s sister has been shown just so she can be killed off in the next Living Story release? You know, give Marjory a personal reason to go kill a dragon.

Yep, all she was missing was her red shirt.

Posted by: Sakri.7234

Sakri.7234

Most boringiest patch ever. I was expecting class balance, new runes and inscriptions and maybe new legendaries but all we got was some gem items and a 5 minute npc conversation that didn’t even answer any of the questions.

(edited by Sakri.7234)

Posted by: Egon Vidar.9125

Egon Vidar.9125

I’m really not trying to sound like a jerk, but never before has a game made me feel so awkward and out of place in the middle of a conversation. Or at a party. And the dialogue sure was.. something..

My sylvari just kinda stood there and looked on in confusion on as people mostly talked around him disjointedly and very, very, very slowly. Talked, and made jokes that felt in absolutely terrible taste considering the state of affairs. Marjory especially came across as a petty snot. Scarlet was a real piece of work, but it’s generally frowned upon to crack jokes about the recently deceased. To the person that killed them. Killed them due to their murderous rampage wiping out thousands and leaving a city in utter devastation.

Yikes. Also, LA cut scene didn’t play so I have no idea what’s going on there. I went to LA first.

Traveller.7496

Oh, and I forgot to mention all those options for Marjory’s question made me cringe. In a RP sense, my character wouldn’t have said any of them.

The thing is this. All throughout the Living story, the devs and those who liked it have said “wait until the end, it’s gonna get better” … “you can’t judge the story in the midpoint” … and so on. And now it’s ended and I’m left with confusion and disappointment. I have kept an open mind, wanting the story to pick up, to be good. But I think now it’s safe to say that most of the interesting plot-points were left alone and what we actually got was a big mess. (literally and metaphorically).

But if you tell me now “just wait for season 2, it’ll surely be awesome now that they learned what NOT to do!” – I may just run out of polite responses this time.

(edited by Traveller.7496)

Posted by: Palimow.6342

Palimow.6342

This ending was, dare I say, worse the Mass Effect 3’s ending. Talk about blah. Again we get Braham saying “it doesn’t matter”. Gee thanks (again) anet. For something that was built up for a year…this has to be one of the biggest let downs of story telling in gaming history and the sad thing is, I was expecting it. Maybe we can get a creative player in this community to formulate their own interpretation of events and share it for the rest of us. Kinda like the Indoctrination Theory for Mass Effect. Anyway, I’ve wasted enough of my time with this.

Posted by: Egon Vidar.9125

Egon Vidar.9125

Oh, and I forgot to mention all those options for Marjory’s question made me cringe. In a RP sense, my character wouldn’t have said any of them.

Ditto. I read the list of dialogue options repeatedly in confusion and wound up wishing there was a “have some kittening tact, Marjory” option. Something. Anything but forcing my mild, kindness-inclined character to also be a complete jerk.

Posted by: RedStar.4218

RedStar.4218

Egon, I had exactly the same feeling.

I went with the “Braham whatever” answer after searching a minute for another answer…

I was wondering why I was there. It was kind of eerie : they weren’t just celebrating the end of Scarlet’s attacks (and it was wrong too, because we have bigger problems now), they were celebrating her death.

However, if Braham gets killed, I won’t care too much for the details. It gets annoying how Anet uses him to say “kitten you, we aren’t giving you details”.

Posted by: Qawsada.4251

Qawsada.4251

I like how most of the conversation in that Epilogue was too childish, or how the Epilogue was basically a bunch of worthless conversation that the player has no in. I like how its stupidly awkward to hear about all the sister talk or how the discussion between Braham and Taimi bring nothing relevant to the story.

I like how its over one years ingame since Zhaitan’s death and how fighting Jormag or Kralkatorrik never came to past.

Its a horrible end to a horrible story from a horrible story writer.

Oh and here is a picture of what the writer consider “good character choices”. Its freaken childish.

Attachments:

Posted by: Moritz.4056

Moritz.4056

Most boringiest patch ever. I was expecting class balance, new runes and inscriptions and maybe new legendaries but all we got was some gem items and a 5 minute npc conversation that didn’t even answer any of the questions.

holy… what? it was stated multiple times this wouldnt happen in the recent patch

Posted by: wookiee.4631

wookiee.4631

I really disliked that instance. It feels very pointless, it doesn’t leave me with the “ah, the story’s over.” misty-eyed feeling, and it only sort of teases season 2. And it doesn’t answer any questions about Scarlet.

They didn’t have to magically answer all my questions, but it at least could have been salvaged if, for example, Belinda showed up saying something like “Something weird is happening around Fort Vandal! The Seraph are sending me there to check it out soon!” Maybe she says there’s reports of monsters gathering west of Fort Vandal or something? A dialogue like that would interrupt the party and instill the sense of urgency a recently awoken Dragon should evoke.

I sort of see why they’re celebrating, but given that LA is in ruins and thousands are dead, it really does feel out of place without some kind of reminder that there’s bigger things to worry about. Like at the end of the PS where everyone’s like “This is just one victory, we shouldn’t celebrate too much yet, there’s still 4 dragons out there”.

Sorry, but this instance really didn’t go over well for me.

Guild: Northern Wolf Clan [WOLF]

Posted by: HHR LostProphet.4801

HHR LostProphet.4801

This was really some of the most awkward moments in GW2 for me.
but the most unsatisfying thing is that they have a pretty harsh cliffhanger now with lots of unfinished storylines. Now they (hopefully) start fixing things like the balancing, but this is for me the worst possible moment to do so.
I want to rebuild Lion’s arch. Now! And I want to search for the dragon. Now!

Posted by: Rezz.8019

Rezz.8019

So many awkward silences in that dialogue. But I don’t care, I got my 2 obsidian shards!

Posted by: Solus.3926

Solus.3926

if that was … polished work … I want me duster back!

I am the menace. The one whose will is done. The haunting chill upon your neck. I am the Conundrum.

Posted by: BlazerellaNine.1026

BlazerellaNine.1026

Don’t worry guys, Kasmeer’s hiccups are gone…THANK THE SIX we got that
resolved <.<

The whole thing has been shrouded in too much mystery for my tastes and I hoped that they would have answered so many more questions to really wrap this up.

The LS was boring, the characters were boring and so, keeping with the theme, the final party was boring.

I must admit, when I seen poor little Tiami limp into the bar, I was all “OH NO!! She shouldn’t be walking in her condition!!” and just wanted to throat-punch someone for Scruffy not fitting through the door. Most emotion I’ve had for the LS to date.

Blazerella Nine – Human Elementalist
Mercenaries Of Anarchy[MOA] (SBI)

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

So uh.

Where’s Canach?
Where’s Mai Trin?

Nalhadia – Kaineng

Posted by: sazberryftw.3809

sazberryftw.3809

It was so slow. There were huge gaps between each conversation. Felt like the opposite of a celebration in a bar.

| Lithia |

Posted by: Oulov.7913

Oulov.7913

So uh.

Where’s Canach?
Where’s Mai Trin?

Who cares…. the most important thing is that braham’s leg hurts! roflmao5
Fail patch

Posted by: spritefire.5234

spritefire.5234

This was the final nail on the head for me.

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

I said the last one, it wasn’t a joke. Closest choice to “It felt like getting rid of a massive thorn in my side.”

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

Posted by: HHR LostProphet.4801

HHR LostProphet.4801

So uh.

Where’s Canach?
Where’s Mai Trin?

Where are the Aetherbaldes, the Molten Aliance, the Toxic Ones? They all just disappeared? Unsatisfying…

Sarrs.4831

So uh.

Where’s Canach?
Where’s Mai Trin?

Where are the Aetherbaldes, the Molten Aliance, the Toxic Ones? They all just disappeared? Unsatisfying…

I actually went to check on a few characters; Riel Darkwater in particular, because I know she’s Commodore Lawson’s attache.

Apparently, Doern Velazquez thinks that Lion’s Arch still needs agents sent there to protect it. Yes Doern. The city full of dead bodies and nothing needs people protecting it.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

Posted by: CorneliusCoffin.3169

CorneliusCoffin.3169

So uh.

Where’s Canach?
Where’s Mai Trin?

Canach is actually still in custody. He could be seen leaving Lion’s Arch during the evacuation events with a Sheriff. My guess is that he’s being held at the vigil keep.
As to Mai Trin…who knows? To be honest, I found it strange that she wasn’t with Scarlet when Lion’s Arch was attacked. We know that she (and the aetherblades in general) were scared of Scarlet’s antics. The aetherblades were there for the attack. the only reason I can imagine why mai Trin wasn’t there would be that she was specifically ordered not to come.

Posted by: Qawsada.4251

Qawsada.4251

Guild Wars 1 Wind of Change did a better job at this. When you kill their leadership, all the minions scatter around the city and started making trouble in the neighborhood. The player end helping the citizens removing any minions in the path and making it a safer place.

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/There_Goes_the_Neighborhood

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

The animation of that party was really poor. Lots of pauses, lots of people standing about, no flow to it at all. It really has to be much better considering this is quite a long conversation sequence that the player essentially just watched.

Posted by: RedStar.4218

RedStar.4218

It’s not the only time we did something like that in GW1 :
After defeating the lich we went after the Titans
After defeating Abaddon we went after Mallyx

But in GW2, Scarlet’s armies are so dumb that when you kill her, they go back to their little life, without causing a ruckus. Also, especially compared to GW1, her armies are inifite…I didn’t know there was so much Charr who turned to the flame legion or aetherblades…

Posted by: Feothyr.6072

Feothyr.6072

Where’s Canach?

In a cell in Vigil Keep. Haven’t you paid attention? :P

I can understand that some people don’t like the living story and are unhappy with it – especially with today’s patch. But honestly: if you don’t like it then don’t play it. Nobody is forcing you to do so.
And while I do think it is important to give feedback and that everbody should be allowed to express their dissapointment, people should keep in mind that all these content patches ArenaNet delivered in the last couple of months haven’t cost us a single penny. So either take it or leave.

Goroth – Necro | Valea – Mesmer
Naneth – Guardian | Brannoc Oakbark – Ranger
Is all that we see or seem just a dream within a dream?

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

-sigh-

From the March 4th patch notes:
A small release will be available on March 18, which will provide an epilogue to recent events. That release will show the aftermath of what players have experienced in the Battle for Lion’s Arch and will conclude the current story arc.

It was also stated later on this epilogue would take place in the Death End bar (forgot where) What did you expect?

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Rabe.9804

Rabe.9804

Majorys sister will follow this blacklion traders in regions behind the brisbane wildlands .
No contact with the seraph group out there for weeks.
Majory will start to search here.
The dragon Mordremoth has his habitat west of Brisbane Wildlands (cinematic on breachbreaker).

Posted by: wookiee.4631

wookiee.4631

So either take it or leave.

I choose neither. I’ll play what they release, buy an expansion if they release one, and leave feedback here and hope they listen to improve for the next time.

This thread isn’t even that bad yet. People have been much harsher on the forums in the past.

Guild: Northern Wolf Clan [WOLF]

Traveller.7496

I can understand that some people don’t like the living story and are unhappy with it – especially with today’s patch. But honestly: if you don’t like it then don’t play it. Nobody is forcing you to do so.
And while I do think it is important to give feedback and that everbody should be allowed to express their dissapointment, people should keep in mind that all these content patches ArenaNet delivered in the last couple of months haven’t cost us a single penny. So either take it or leave.

So, how am I going to know if it’s good or bad if I don’t even play it?

You kinda contradict yourself there, first you say it’s important to give feedback and then say if you don’t like it leave it. So only feedback allowed is positive? I’m sure even the good folks at ANet would correct you on that one – to be able to grow and better yourself, one must receive and process all kinds of critique – as long as it’s constructive.

Honestly, I’d wish people would stay polite in this thread since like you said, it’s important to give feedback. A lot of people are disappointed about the ending (and LS in general) but still, keep it civil. (it goes for you too, Feothyr.)

Posted by: Blade Syphon.4325

Blade Syphon.4325

-sigh-

From the March 4th patch notes:
A small release will be available on March 18, which will provide an epilogue to recent events. That release will show the aftermath of what players have experienced in the Battle for Lion’s Arch and will conclude the current story arc.

It was also stated later on this epilogue would take place in the Death End bar (forgot where) What did you expect?

Gee, I don’t know, good story telling? A fulfilling sense of accomplishment? Dialogue that didn’t sound like it was written by a child who just finished watching some terrible anime ending?

These last four updates were something that, over the past six months, we’ve been told would be climactic and make everything come together. We were told by Anet over and over that things were going to get better, and that the story was going to be an amazing experience full of never before seen content in an MMO before, found here:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-01-14-you-thought-that-was-it-for-guild-wars-2

And taken from the article:
“Concern: Story schmory! ArenaNet said the climax of Season One will rock Tyria to its core but I bet that’s overblown sales talk.”

Hell, they even had an interview put up a week before the first part of finale was introduced, with one section stating that this wasn’t just a big hype train, and that the ending would be so shocking and riveting, it would shake Tyria to the very core.

And yet, what did we get? A capital city besieged, (which has already been done, multiple times, by other MMOs), a lackluster final boss, and a terrible ending with another Dragon awakening, something we’ve all expected since, you know, Zhaitan died, and Destiny’s Reach said “Hmm, one dragon down, five to go! Let’s get cracking!”

Remind me again how ANY of this is rocking Tyria to it’s core? How is Lion’s Arch being besieged, and left a smoldering ruin, any different than what Deathwing did to Stormwind in Cataclysm, or what the conclusion of Mists of Pandaria did to Ogrimmar? How about Dynamis from Final Fantasy XI, or even Besieged from the Treausres of Aht’Uhrghan expansion. A game that’s eleven years old did it first, and arguably better.

I guess the concern was true, it was just over blown sale talk.

The Living Story started out alright, had moments of glory during the Zephyr Sanctum and Queen’s Jubilee patches, than fell into a complete stink hole from then on out. It had one moment of shining grace with the Toxic Tower, before falling back into an absolute mess of poor story telling and design decisions.

The Living Story has done terrible damage to the integrity of GW2’s story telling, as well as consumer good will towards Anet being able to put out good, compelling content. If Season 2 is anything like Season 1, than we won’t be having this conversation this time next year, because I adamantly believe GW2 won’t even be around than.

Magnus in LA right now has a rather fine line that sums up not just Lion’s Arch, but Guild Wars 2 as a whole:

“We’ll salvage the city if we can, but if it turns out we can’t save it, better we evacuate this sinking ship”.

(edited by Blade Syphon.4325)

Posted by: Calys Teneb.7015

Calys Teneb.7015

So uh.

Where’s Canach?
Where’s Mai Trin?

Both are in the same places they’ve been since Escape. Canach is in a prison in Vigil Keep and Mai Trin is in the Edge of the Mists.

Sarrs.4831

Where’s Canach?

In a cell in Vigil Keep. Haven’t you paid attention? :P

Oh, so he is. My mistake.

I know it’s fun to be snide, gosh knows I enjoy it, but if the feedback you have to offer can be truncated to “LOL WHY DON’T YOU JUST QUIT?” then please go back to the drawing board.

Wrapping up of loose ends. I can think of at least five.
Mai Trin- Where is she?
Aetherblades- What happens to them?
Molten Alliance- What happens to them?
Toxic Alliance- What happens to them?
Caithe’s secret- What was it and how did Scarlet learn it? Did I miss it or is something actually going on? Come to think of it, since Scarlet’s dead, will the Aetherblade Path in TA change?

Nalhadia – Kaineng