Are the Molten Facility rewards too limited?

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Dog.1472

Dog.1472

So with the new Molten Facility, there are now two new unique items, a decorative jetpack back item, and a new miniature that many people are after. (there’s a bunch of other stuff that I don’t feel like listing.)

The dungeon is only around for a very limited time, and these two items in particular have a very low drop rate. This leads to only a handful of people having a small chance at getting these cosmetic items. Limited time only items are nothing new at all, but the way it’s being done this time is really bothering me.

It doesn’t matter how many times I run the dungeon, there is a very realistic possibility that I will never see them even if I run it every day for the duration of the event. I have no real way of making progress towards these items, my only options are to either hope for a small random chance at getting one, or spend a ridiculous amount of money at the trading post.

The Super Adventure Box on the other hand allowed people to work for account bound versions of the items that could be gained by making actual progress by completing the event. There was a small chance at getting ones you could trade, but more importantly is that you could make solid progress towards your own personal goal.

Unfortunately, that isn’t the case with the Molten Facility and this is making me feel very pressured and forced into running this dungeon a lot more than I want to. It is incredibly disheartening to, after running this dungeon several times each day, never see any progress towards an item I am trying to get. I feel like I’m getting burned out for the first time since I started playing GW2 because of the combined limited time this event is available and low chance of obtaining an actual reward for doing it.

Does anyone else think it would be better if we would get tokens at the end of the event that we could exchange for a soulbound/account bound version of the new items?

“Please, you can look down on people without having to be physically above them.
As an asura, I do this all the time.”

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Vargs.6234

Vargs.6234

If it weren’t for this complete and utter reliance on ridiculous RNG odds, I would have done the new content a fair few times. As is, though? No thanks. One run and done. It was a good dungeon but I’m not going to bother finishing it dozens of times for nothing.

The new gauntlets are also unbelievably alt-unfriendly. Anet often makes sure that it is unnecessarily difficult and time consuming to play multiple characters with things like story mode unlocks, fractal levels, and laurels, but this seems to be the only thing that you cannot overcome with enough time and effort. One per account, never any more, ever.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

If a virtual item causes someone mental anguish, then, perhaps it is time for a break? I like the idea of items being rare, otherwise they aren’t very special. And no, I don’t have either of them, nor do I run the dungeon multiple times a day. It was fun, but not enough fun to spend that much time on it. Of course, this is just my opinion, and others’ will vary.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: sostronk.8167

sostronk.8167

Theres quite a decent drop on other things though. Ive done about 15 runs and got some lodestones, exotic weapons and armor, new chef recipes, some Ori/mithril/silk/gossamer inscriptions and the azuri pebbles and plenty of T5/6 drops, cores and Mithril/Orichalcum. All of this is enough to keep me playing a dungeon I enjoy playing for the rest of the time it will be here. Overall maybe I slightly better off farming Cursed Shore or Citadel of Flame but you know, I can do that anytime, Molten Facility is only for a limited time.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: raptor.1064

raptor.1064

this dungeon could have dropped molten scrap or whatever that you trade in for molten theme items, but nope, gotta run the gem shop scam

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: nesh.7234

nesh.7234

I hate RNG and RNG hates me

Said that, I’m not against gating unique items behind it (tho having tokens may be better tho).

It’s a skin, and it should be unique especially for the temporary content as that give “older” players something to show off — I always liked one time unique items as they are even more worth than current implementation of “legendary” (yeah right, legendary grind to get gold and buy them only). After a few years I’ll still have my GW2 cap, SAB GS, molten gauntlets, shield, mining pick and pets to “prove” that I was there from the start and that makes those items more valuable than any “standard” item in the game.

OTOH if I miss some of them, oh well, maybe I’ll get next one …

Also, as sostronk said, this dungeon has (for me at least) better drops than any other (at least ores are not behind RNG) so atop that is fun to run its nice place to get some mats without too much running around.

EU / Aurora Glade

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

meh i feel like it had nothing worth farming for me. i want a cool looking weapon or most importantly an armor, not a backpiece that clips with all my two handed weapons/armor/hair.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Infernia.9847

Infernia.9847

The new gauntlets are also unbelievably alt-unfriendly. Anet often makes sure that it is unnecessarily difficult and time consuming to play multiple characters with things like story mode unlocks, fractal levels, and laurels, but this seems to be the only thing that you cannot overcome with enough time and effort. One per account, never any more, ever.

Just one more reason that they really need to sell a Gem Store item that allows characters to make a soul bound item, account bound. Or get rid of soul bound altogether and use account bound.
It won’t fix the problem that the item you chose was light/medium/heavy armor and you can’t share that between characters unless they all use the same type of armor.

When I got the fused gloves for my Ranger I didn’t realize the flame color could be changed. Had I known that I would have gotten them for my guardian instead. Lesson learned and no fix possible unless they eventually let us get more of these in the future.

Blackgate : Level 80 Ranger, Necro, Guardian, Warrior
Devs: Trait Challenge Issued

in Flame and Frost

Dog.1472

I don’t think it’s too much to ask to give people a realistic chance to gain event items by participating in the event.

“Please, you can look down on people without having to be physically above them.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Wiser with Age.3714

Wiser with Age.3714

Back during the Super Adventure Box thread, I saw multiple player comments and dev responses that centered around the “exclusive” item issue. People wanted to have ultra-rare graphical items as some form of bragging rights. ArenaNet acknowledged that this was a common idea with their customers, but refused to take a stance about whether it was a good thing. At the time, this revolved around whether the current SAB item skins would be available again whenever ArenaNet brings the SAB back.

Based on that conversation, at least part of ArenaNet recognizes that their customers want “exclusive” items and that the devs consider it to be a good thing. The whole deal with the Molten Facility is another example of people wanting to feel special by having items that most people don’t have. By intentionally limiting the supply, ArenaNet is encouraging people to log into GW2 to grind through their new content since people are unsure about whether these items will ever be offered again.

I frankly don’t like that mentality, but MMOs have done this for years with holiday events and other such things. While I know that I won’t be grinding the MF dungeon, this new content will likely keep many people happy and will probably make ArenaNet some more revenue through the Gem Exchange.

We are Test Group F. (Don’t ask about what happened to the previous Test Groups.)

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

By the same token, Guild Wars 1 also had ultra rare items the same way. The christmas dungeon would award a mini polar bear, but most people would never see one, no matter how much they farmed it.

The result..something very valuable.

It’s not making your more powerful or anything. Why does everyone have to be able to get everything? I don’t get this.

The fact is, over time, everyone eventually gets SOMETHING. The only thing I don’t like is when the RNG is part of something you have to buy from the cash shop, like the dyes or the black lion chest. I’m dead set against that.

But in game? I have no problem with people getting a few things here and there. And if other people want them enough, they can spend real money to get them.

But it’s not different from Guild Wars 1, which didn’t have a gem shop., where Anet did the same exact thing.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Infernia.9847

Infernia.9847

@Wiser with Age – This exclusivity attitude is common. Yet it will only satisfy those that get lucky. The others that tried and failed, due to RNG, are left with a bitter taste. Anet was on the right track with it’s transmutation stones and armor dyes but the models are not as varied at the moment and weapons are less customizable.

I didn’t even try to get a fused ticket because I don’t agree with RNG chests. I ended up leveling an alt, getting a single key, and a ticket was inside.
My ranger has a nice longbow skin and everytime I use it I feel bad for the people that used 100+ keys and got nothing. I certainly didn’t earn that skin. I just got lucky.

One day there will be an MMO where customization and choices of cosmetic weapons & armor will be vast enough that you will be hard pressed to tell that you’re wearing the same armor or using the same weapon as the person beside you.
Being able to change the hilt of a sword/axe/greatsword/dagger or rifle/pistol stock. Being able to stain the parts of the weapon different colors. Earn a particle effect for the weapon and tint the color to your liking. Etc.

Blackgate : Level 80 Ranger, Necro, Guardian, Warrior
Devs: Trait Challenge Issued

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Wiser with Age.3714

Wiser with Age.3714

While it wrecks with the exclusivity angle, I would love to see temporary items get added to the Mystic Forge recipes. I’d be fine with making the recipes cost rediculous things. This would let people who missed the temporary content actually have an opportunity to get these items at a later date. Even if the Mystic Forge recipes were added with a 6 month delay after these events, it would be acceptable in my mind.

Though that gets on another subject. I’m baffled about what they just don’t continue to add more Mystic Forge recipes as a way of adding appearance customization. Your average person won’t be making a lot of those more expensive items, so it still adds a level of exclusivity to your character if you’re decked out with all kinds of interesting appearance items.

We are Test Group F. (Don’t ask about what happened to the previous Test Groups.)

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Asmodal.6489

Asmodal.6489

well i got the recipe for the infinite molten berserker….

was really happy until i found out i need 50 molten and 50 glacial lodestones.
… i really do not know if i should go for that…

on the actual topic i do not have an opinion

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

I agree with OP. Limited rewards based on RNG luck should not ever be placed in temporary content (nor should they be RNG cash shop items either). Either make any limited rewards for temporary content should be gotten by either completing the content (limited reward always given once per character, or in case of minis once per account), or by getting tokens of some kind (which are gotten each run) and traded to NPC (like SAB/Moto). I’m really hating the new content, and the only reason is because the kitten rewards structure. The dungeon is fun, don’t get me wrong, and I like it, but I REALLY hate that the combo is based on RNG in extremely temporary content.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

in Flame and Frost

Dog.1472

@Wiser with Age – This exclusivity attitude is common. Yet it will only satisfy those that get lucky. The others that tried and failed, due to RNG, are left with a bitter taste. Anet was on the right track with it’s transmutation stones and armor dyes but the models are not as varied at the moment and weapons are less customizable.

And this is what I’m afraid of. I really want the jetpack in particular because it will go with the theme of my warrior, but I could end up not getting it at all because I was unlucky. If I end up having countless hours wasted and end up getting the middle finger when the event ends, I am going to be incredibly unhappy.

Only rewarding a handful of your players and alienating the rest is not good business practice.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

All i can suggest is if you’re not happy with the way Anet does things stop playing, i know that sounds drastic but if enough unhappy players stop then Anet will have to do things different, its happened in other games it could happen here..

I do not say just up and leave over the jetpack or mini but until players take a stand companies with these poor business decisions sometimes need a wake up call..

But hey im sure there is a group that love these prestige things, i know TP flippers do..

in Flame and Frost

Dog.1472

I think at this point it is best if I simply farm CoF and buy the thing. If I did that from the start, I would have it by now.

It is so stupid that I have to farm a different dungeon in order to get what I want from this one.

I really, really hate this event right now.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Lifelost.5627

Lifelost.5627

Thinking about that Jetpack skin makes me sad panda.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: bravoart.5308

bravoart.5308

Between being:

1. Spamming this dungeon so hard because it’s available for a limited time only
2. Being kicked from the dungeon because pugs (think it’s too hard/get disconnected).
and
3. Consistently shafted by RNG on the final chest

I’m slowly coming to accept that no matter how hard I try, I won’t be able to obtain the things I want due to sheer luck.

Finally I recalled the stopgap solution of a great princess who was told that the
peasants had no bread and who responded: “Let them eat brioche.”

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Donner.6293

Donner.6293

It’s really sad. With the introduction of SAB I just thought ArenaNet had learned and decided to lower the player frustration by extreme RNG for temporary rewards. Apparently that’s not the case and the only way to reliably get what you want, is again – surprise – farm COF1 for money and buy it.

in Flame and Frost

Dog.1472

I still don’t see the logic of getting rare items by being lucky only. I am fine with doing crazy amounts of work to get something, but there are those that get the super rare most desired items after their first run. Why is it sensible at all to shaft so many people.

in Flame and Frost

skullmount.1758

I still don’t see the logic of getting rare items by being lucky only. I am fine with doing crazy amounts of work to get something, but there are those that get the super rare most desired items after their first run. Why is it sensible at all to shaft so many people.

Because they have to appease the one that somehow think exclusive items make them the look better or be better. I just don’t get that.
This is why I hate the RNG of exlusive items: the lucky person that gets one and doesn’t want it, while another person who REALLY wants it doesn’t (and can’t pay the gold that its on the TP for). It should be based on having to do a specific thing (whether thats running the content X amount of times, like SAB), not on RNG. This is a game, not real life, there shouldn’t be many things that are exclusive to only the rich or extremely lucky.

Darkhaven server

(edited by skullmount.1758)

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Personally I don’t care about how rare an item is, I like stuff I think looks good or interesting regardless of how many other people have it. Which is why I often run around with blue minis, IMO some of the best looking ones are the most common.

If I had my way the token you get for completing all the F&F achievements would be tradeable for any of the exclusive items (Gauntlets, mini, jet pack, fused weapons etc.) and each would also be available some other way. So at least everyone who does the content would be guaranteed one item they want, instead of everyone getting the same one whether they want it or not and everyone who happens to want something else being frustrated and disappointed.

If you want more than 1 thing you’d have to choose which one you want most but at least you’d have the option instead of being told which one you will get.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

Personally I don’t care about how rare an item is, I like stuff I think looks good or interesting regardless of how many other people have it. Which is why I often run around with blue minis, IMO some of the best looking ones are the most common.

If I had my way the token you get for completing all the F&F achievements would be tradeable for any of the exclusive items (Gauntlets, mini, jet pack, fused weapons etc.) and each would also be available some other way. So at least everyone who does the content would be guaranteed one item they want, instead of everyone getting the same one whether they want it or not and everyone who happens to want something else being frustrated and disappointed.

If you want more than 1 thing you’d have to choose which one you want most but at least you’d have the option instead of being told which one you will get.

Sounds good to me. I probably won’t even use my Molten Gauntlet, not a fan of the general design (burning armor looks goofy to me), but I’d love to be able to grab the jetpack or a Fused weapon. And being able to get only 1 would still encourage people to do the dungeon multiple times to get more stuff, or whatever.

A few might complain that it would ruin the exclusivity, but oh well. I’d rather appease a larger audience and slightly reduce exclusivity (everything would still be limited time, just not RNG / wealth limited) than keep it RNG heavy just so a few can say they’ve got a super special skin.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: rogerwilko.6895

rogerwilko.6895

So far no reward for me except the last fight which is nice. I doubt I`ll run the dungeon again and I`m sorry I wasted time returning the 3 letters for the kitten karma bottles.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

If a virtual item causes someone mental anguish, then, perhaps it is time for a break? I like the idea of items being rare, otherwise they aren’t very special. And no, I don’t have either of them, nor do I run the dungeon multiple times a day. It was fun, but not enough fun to spend that much time on it. Of course, this is just my opinion, and others’ will vary.

You can’t have the dark without the light. If people care about cosmetics and loot (it’s an MMO, these things have value) and derive pleasure from them (this is an intention of the game’s design) then it’s to be expected that the opposite of this can and will happen when people aren’t able to access these things. It’s not a flaw in the player, it’s a consequence of giving value to cosmetics.

I’m on board with this RNG dislike. For some reason all that talk before the game launched about how crappy it was to run a dungeon and not get anything you wanted for your time because the drop rate was so low (I think it was Colin that said it, like many of the broken promises) is another thing they are just dropping. ArenaNet loves their RNG as much as the average F2P korean MMO. Nothing exploits addiction and stretches out content better than RNG. If it keeps players in the rate race they will implement it. This is yet another thing that favours running CoF over running the dungeon itself. One more item for the power traders and TP flippers rather than the people who actually enjoy running dungeon content itself.

The reality is they won’t take this feedback and change it in the future. They knew when implementing this content in this manner that they were fuelling the power traders and they were rewarding a lucky few at the expense of the many who run the dungeon, that’s just the decision they went with. Don’t worry though, instead of sinking 100 hours into the dungeon with little to no chance of getting this item, you can buy your jet pack with real money from a few hours of overtime at work. That’s just a coincidence, right? Right guys??

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

I don’t like how people value things.

Anet breaks all their promises (They didn’t). Red herring about addiction problems and how that’s Anets fault because rare items and RNG (It’s not).

Change it so we can all get these new items.

(You know, in addition to that special gauntlet skin that you’re only going to be able to get for this event, RNG-free).

Made a TL:DR for you.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: TehPwnerer.7215

TehPwnerer.7215

this dungeon could have dropped molten scrap or whatever that you trade in for molten theme items, but nope, gotta run the gem shop scam

This whole dungeon could have been made permanently with a token system to reward those weapons. But why do that when they can make a couple million dollars on keys with a 1 in ~500 chest drop rate?

in Flame and Frost

CETheLucid.3964

This whole dungeon could have been made permanently with a token system to reward those weapons.

That doesn’t make any sense. It’s a special event, an ongoing story that’s coming to an end shortly so that another part can begin.

We end up destroying the place. We blow it up. Ka-boom! Dungeon go bye-bye.

But why do that when they can make a couple million dollars on keys with a 1 in ~500 chest drop rate?

Yeah. How dare Anet try to make a profit with their game in a completely optional cosmetic way?

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Zhaneel.9208

Zhaneel.9208

But why do that when they can make a couple million dollars on keys with a 1 in ~500 chest drop rate?

Yeah. How dare Anet try to make a profit with their game in a completely optional cosmetic way?

I’m all for them making a profit, but RNG is fairly unpleasant for the player when you consider how much time and/or money is required to get such items. I doubt they will alter this, and at the very least I’m glad they’re offering some cosmetic items at a fixed price.

in Flame and Frost

skullmount.1758

This whole dungeon could have been made permanently with a token system to reward those weapons.

That doesn’t make any sense. It’s a special event, an ongoing story that’s coming to an end shortly so that another part can begin.

Except that we’ve had 3/4 ‘different’ facilities (granted they were exactly the same, down to killing the same guys (firestorm/zerker) in each one), so how is that any different?
It seems like there would/should always be a new facility to destroy. Its not like we’ve completely wiped out the Molten Alliance, which means they could keep rebuilding. So why not make it a dungeon with tokens. Hell make it a separate thing accessible from the fractals hub (not a fractal itself) and reward us with fractal tokens (just not that many) and the normal rewards. That way we could still get the good rewards (jetpack/mini, even put fused weapons or gauntlets in there too) either by RNG (which could be sold on TP), or by using tokens (which make it account bound version). Like the SAB rewards.

Darkhaven server

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Fuz.5621

Fuz.5621

Stop this RNG crap already.
Give us tokens for the mini and the jetpack, I’ve ran the facility 30+ times and got only crap, it’s kittening annoying.
Don’t put unique vanity items on a RNG table without giving alternatives, for kitten’s sake!

in Flame and Frost

skullmount.1758

Give us tokens for the mini and the jetpack, I’ve ran the facility 30+ times and got only crap, it’s kittening annoying.
Don’t put unique vanity items on a RNG table without giving alternatives, for kitten’s sake!

This! If you’re going to put unique vanity item in that can only be gotten from RNG tables, make that content permanent.

Darkhaven server

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Bloody Rhapsody.3810

Bloody Rhapsody.3810

It’s really sad. With the introduction of SAB I just thought ArenaNet had learned and decided to lower the player frustration by extreme RNG for temporary rewards. Apparently that’s not the case and the only way to reliably get what you want, is again – surprise – farm COF1 for money and buy it.

Agree. I like SAB very much not only because of the content but also many other aspects such as:

1. token based and RNG based reward system for players to obtain the skin.
  2. Easy mode for players who find the content too challenging.
  3. Secret rooms for players to explore and the achievements associated with them

In contrast, the reward systems of fotm and MF are simply disappointing.
I really hope Anet can learn from the SAB to build better dungeon in the future.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

51 runs and no one in my party any of the time has gotten a mini nor a jetpack o.O

I’m really starting to wonder if the drop rate got bugged.

Gotten the morph recipe twice though : /

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: sostronk.8167

sostronk.8167

51 runs and no one in my party any of the time has gotten a mini nor a jetpack o.O

I was thinking the same thing. I did about 40 runs. I know alot of people got them around the first day. Then nobody after that. Its like they had a quota of drops and they hit it in the first day and then no more drops. Not that I care, I don’t want the jetpack and minis don’t really appeal to me either.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Anglvamp.5632

Anglvamp.5632

One day there will be an MMO where customization and choices of cosmetic weapons & armor will be vast enough that you will be hard pressed to tell that you’re wearing the same armor or using the same weapon as the person beside you.
Being able to change the hilt of a sword/axe/greatsword/dagger or rifle/pistol stock. Being able to stain the parts of the weapon different colors. Earn a particle effect for the weapon and tint the color to your liking. Etc.

There already was an MMO like this, City of Heroes, and it was terrific. None of the costuming items were exclusive and I /never/ ran into someone with a look even close to what I had.

It’s always seemed to me that the more exclusive an item was supposed to be, the more often you’d see it.

^.^

in Flame and Frost

TehPwnerer.7215

This.

in Flame and Frost

TehPwnerer.7215

Nice straw man. I never said anything about Anet making money but you can’t tell me that they aren’t making enough and NEED to make things both limited and RNG from BLC. That’s ridiculous. That means that no matter how hard anybody tries they may never see a reward simply because of horrible RNG luck.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Andele.1306

Andele.1306

Nice straw man. I never said anything about Anet making money but you can’t tell me that they aren’t making enough and NEED to make things both limited and RNG from BLC. That’s ridiculous. That means that no matter how hard anybody tries they may never see a reward simply because of horrible RNG luck.

Not to mention that they are fine selling the Rox and Broham weapons that are technically higher quality then the jetpack and mini.

When life gives you lemon, ask if its from a anime or manga.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: KorKor.9452

KorKor.9452

The real answer no matter what the real rate is for the item is that is to low for a limited time item based off of RNG. There are multiple reasons for this and all of them reek.

A: Many players do not get to spam the dungeon and have a limited amount of time to try at all for said item.

B: Yes, they can buy it for gold but due to the rate being so low the market is cornered by the top 1% player base of the game. Who purchase mass amounts of the time item to sell later and keep the price of it high. (The kinda players that hoard money till they get to max and will never spend it all or even come close. They will quit the game years later with max cash left to rot.)

C: Leaves the players feeling annoyed and letdown. These players often leave for a few weeks or play less for awhile due to this annoyance with the game. This also effects their desire to give the game any money in appreciation of an event even if the overall design was good.

D: Limits the customization that many players desire for multiple characters and forces them to at most get just one of a said item. Sometimes they use it on the wrong character and it invokes disappointed sadness, etc. Causes the same issues noted above.

There really is no reason for the rate to be so low. The event is a one of a time thing and down the road even months? Many peeps will have swapped for other items, deleted it, deleted it by accident, and more. So you will see less of any given item due to such things down the road. The rate should have at least been high enough to mess up the control the 1% economy hoarders have.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: mikoolios.2453

mikoolios.2453

I was thinking the same thing. I did about 40 runs. I know alot of people got them around the first day. Then nobody after that. Its like they had a quota of drops and they hit it in the first day and then no more drops. Not that I care, I don’t want the jetpack and minis don’t really appeal to me either.

This is what I’ve been wondering about for a while with events like this – does anet use a rate of entry system or just go by the RNG pure? If anyone’s seen a dev comment on this and could link it, that would be great!

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Andele.1306

Andele.1306

This is what I’ve been wondering about for a while with events like this – does anet use a rate of entry system or just go by the RNG pure? If anyone’s seen a dev comment on this and could link it, that would be great!

Its kitten rng, shown by the fact that i finally got at least the mini at like the 49th or 50th run.

When life gives you lemon, ask if its from a anime or manga.

in Flame and Frost

Danikat.8537

I’m on board with this RNG dislike. For some reason all that talk before the game launched about how crappy it was to run a dungeon and not get anything you wanted for your time because the drop rate was so low (I think it was Colin that said it, like many of the broken promises) is another thing they are just dropping. ArenaNet loves their RNG as much as the average F2P korean MMO. Nothing exploits addiction and stretches out content better than RNG. If it keeps players in the rate race they will implement it.

To be fair that, like the line about grinding for gear, is something that’s often misquoted. They never said it wouldn’t be in the game, they said it wouldn’t be required to play. And it’s not. You can get a full set of max gear very cheaply with no RNG. What you can’t get without RNG or grind is all the purely cosmetic items.

I don’t agree with it, I’d much rather everything was a guaranteed drop or rewarded for tokens or something, but they never said that would be the case and it shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone that some things are limited this way when it’s pretty much standard, even in single-player games. It’s not a good system but it’s a very common one.

in Flame and Frost

CETheLucid.3964

Nice straw man. I never said anything about Anet making money

Really? Be honest now.

… but you can’t tell me that they aren’t making enough and NEED to make things both limited and RNG from BLC. That’s ridiculous.

You wouldn’t want to give people the impression that you’re lying when you say that.

in Flame and Frost

Dog.1472

I don’t think I could be less happy with this event right now. Ran multiple times everyday for the entire event and I didn’t get anything worthwhile. Crap drops every. single. run. RNG does nothing except for tick people off who spend countless hours farming only to turn up empty handed. This absolutely causes people to stop playing the game and find something that’s actually fun to do.

I’ll move on for now, hoping there will be better content in the future, but if the RNG continues I’m going to run out of patience eventually. There needs to be a token system or something comparable for everything.

in Flame and Frost

Posted by: Bubi.7942

Bubi.7942

I ran a lot. Neither got the mini or the jetpack. So I bought the Mini for 60g.

Where’s the problem?

Edit: One last thing. You actually GET ‘tokens’ for your runs. It’s called gold.

in Flame and Frost

Danikat.8537

Where’s the problem?

Edit: One last thing. You actually GET ‘tokens’ for your runs. It’s called gold.

The problem is that it’s very unfair. I put in just as much effort as some other people and ended up with just 13g from selling rewards I didn’t want, and none of the rewards I did want. Other people who did exactly the same things, the same number of dungeon runs etc. got the mini or the jetpack or whatever that they wanted, or got one they didn’t want and were able to sell it for 100g+ (when I looked an hour ago the mini was selling for over 120g and the jet pack was over 150g a few days ago).

If I’d had 60g in the first few days of the event I’d have bought a mini then, but I didn’t and now it’s going to cost me more than twice that. I will buy it when and if I have the money (if the price keeps going up, as it likely will now they’re not dropping any more that might never happen) but it’s annoying to know that I’ll have to put all that extra effort in when other people just had to do the dungeon 2 or 3 times.

That’s very different to dungeon tokens where everyone is guaranteed the same number of tokens for the same effort, and everyone has to pay the same number of tokens per reward item.

in Flame and Frost

skullmount.1758

Where’s the problem?

The problem is that it’s very unfair. I put in just as much effort as some other people and ended up with just 13g from selling rewards I didn’t want, and none of the rewards I did want. Other people who did exactly the same things, the same number of dungeon runs etc. got the mini or the jetpack or whatever that they wanted, or got one they didn’t want and were able to sell it for 100g+ (when I looked an hour ago the mini was selling for over 120g and the jet pack was over 150g a few days ago).

If I’d had 60g in the first few days of the event I’d have bought a mini then, but I didn’t and now it’s going to cost me more than twice that. I will buy it when and if I have the money (if the price keeps going up, as it likely will now they’re not dropping any more that might never happen) but it’s annoying to know that I’ll have to put all that extra effort in when other people just had to do the dungeon 2 or 3 times.

That’s very different to dungeon tokens where everyone is guaranteed the same number of tokens for the same effort, and everyone has to pay the same number of tokens per reward item.

Darkhaven server