Search feature not working

in Forum and Website Bugs

Posted by: Foghladha.2506

Foghladha.2506

Still completely broken. Try typing “Guild Wars” you should find something mentioned if it’s working. You get nothing what so ever.

Benjamin “Foghladha.2506” Foley
Founder, Gaiscioch Community [GSCH] | Gaiscioch Magazine | Twitch | YouTube | Twitter
Proud Resident of Mercenary Server Sanctum of Rall | 6 Year Extra-Life Charity Event Participant

Posted by: Clark Skinner.4902

Clark Skinner.4902

i tried searching bone
it didn’t even attempt a search, it just remained on the home page

I tried searching pick
it didn’t even attempt a search, it just remained on the home page

Websites and forum had search features in the last millenium. It’s embarrassing that it doesn’t work here.

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

Lol is this still not working? Why do they even have a web/forum master?

Posted by: Graendall.4765

Graendall.4765

Anet i hope you realise how bad this is for your playerbase…in a game called GUILD WARS people are unable to search for guilds in their games forums.
Being a member a of a greek community guild i don’t even want to know how many greek players have searched for a greek guild in this game and have failed because search option doesn’t work…its also highly likely those players have quited the game.I suggest you get it fixed before the next update.

Zancrow The Red-Elementalist of [ObV]Oblivion-Hardcore WvW guild
http://oblivion-guild.shivtr.com/
Server-Piken Square

Posted by: Siliconmana.3816

Siliconmana.3816

as in title, not working in Firefox.24

[KnT][KnM] – Blackgate

Posted by: Siliconmana.3816

Siliconmana.3816

Issues where the search engine would randomly return 0 results instead of real results have been fixed.

Lol, 3 months later, it simply DOES NOT WORK.

[KnT][KnM] – Blackgate

(edited by Siliconmana.3816)

Posted by: OneBigPear.1249

OneBigPear.1249

I can confirm this. Also not working in Safari.

Posted by: Zaxian.6035

Zaxian.6035

I’m slightly puzzled why the search box is even still there. I have never, ever seen it search successfully and it would surely be better to remove it completely than have people expect it to work and be disappointed.

Or better yet, just have it link to the equivalent google search.

As a side note – is the IE version of the forum supposed to display in Courier? (I happened to notice it when seeing if FF was the reason for the search not working).

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Completely and utterly broken. (Using Safari). If you type anything in the search box, such as Search which is in the title, nothin happens. AT ALL. It doesn’t even go thru the motions and its been like this for some time.

Posted by: Darquan.1567

Darquan.1567

Search doesn’t even exist for me. Nothing happens at all. I think it is just disabled now? Why don’t they just replace it with a Google search bar and be done with it? lol

Posted by: Knaifhogg.5964

Knaifhogg.5964

Nothing happens for me either.

Posted by: synk.6907

synk.6907

I was trying to use Search earlier today and also had it sit there and do nothing for me.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

It certainly would be nice if Anet stopped by this thread to say something, anything. Please let us know if you are working on it, plan to work on, don’t know how to work on it, or don’t care at all. A small tidbit would help out all of the customers that can’t figure out why the search function doesn’t work and potential customers that want to review the forums before buying but can’t even do a search. I would think the later certainly wouldn’t leave a very good impression.

The Burninator

Posted by: Rhea Ravenseeker.7105

Rhea Ravenseeker.7105

Anet do not read the forums any more. This thread is clear proof. Disprove me by posting an update Anet.

Posted by: Six.8051

Six.8051

yeah, been having issues with the search function… mainly that it doesn’t work whatsoever.

Posted by: Portal Master.9146

Portal Master.9146

It was funny for a while but now…
At this point please remove the search box if you can’t fix it in a timely manner.

Posted by: Missy.3854

Missy.3854

I can’t remember the last time search actually worked for me, no matter where in the forums I try to use search, it just doesn’t work.

Posted by: Milea.6043

Milea.6043

Search broke. Gah, sloppy.

Swearing allegiance in life & beyond did Desmina Zqooksha thence become the gods first follower

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

Still broken. WTF, now its not even giving me the message of 0 results found, it just sits there on the forum/thread I’m currently on. Is this ever going to be fixed?

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Posted by: Mark Katzbach

Previous

Mark Katzbach

Content Marketing Manager

Next

Hey everybody, an update on the search situation. The issue with search is a bit more complex than anybody thought it would be. Today we deployed an update to the forums that contained a few unrelated bugfixes. Since this deploy, it appears that the search function is working again.

However, we have not yet addressed the root cause of why search breaks in the first place and cannot predict how long it will remain functional. When search ceases to function, please update this thread again. We will explore options to potentially restore search again if it ceases to function, but I can’t make any promises at this time.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

Hey everybody, an update on the search situation. The issue with search is a bit more complex than anybody thought it would be. Today we deployed an update to the forums that contained a few unrelated bugfixes. Since this deploy, it appears that the search function is working again.

However, we have not yet addressed the root cause of why search breaks in the first place and cannot predict how long it will remain functional. When search ceases to function, please update this thread again. We will explore options to potentially restore search again if it ceases to function, but I can’t make any promises at this time.

Thanks for letting us know that it is being worked on. It is back to where it was a several weeks ago but that means it still doesn’t work properly. While the search box is active again a simple search for “ranger” from the main forum page returns a grand total of 24 results. I’m sure the word “ranger” has been used at least 25 times.

Attachments:

The Burninator

Previous

Mark Katzbach

Next

Looks like the indexing borked up again. Right after the deploy I was testing with common terms and was getting 50+ pages of results. I’ll be sure to pass on how quickly this degraded, hopefully the information will help with fixing the issue.

Posted by: Greyfur.1082

Greyfur.1082

Google works better then the search function on these forums, since BETA. Use the site: feature

for example:
“site:forum-en.guildwars2.com search never works”

http://bit.ly/19XLeeY

(edited by Greyfur.1082)

Posted by: Imagi.4561

Imagi.4561

I’m glad I stumbled upon this thread. I thought it was just Firefox acting up, but I suppose that’s my lack of programming knowledge in action.

I appreciate that ArenaNet is working on the problem.

#ELEtism
By Ogden’s hammer, what savings!

Posted by: RoyHarmon.5398

RoyHarmon.5398

In the meantime, I would suggest this Custom Google Search Page.
The only caveat is that it also includes pages from the wiki. The user can decide whether that’s a bug or a feature.

EDIT: Here’s one that only searches the forum.

“It is the stupidest children who are the most childish
and the stupidest grown-ups who are the most grown-up.”
- C. S. Lewis

(edited by RoyHarmon.5398)

Posted by: Serenity.6149

Serenity.6149

In the meantime, I would suggest this Custom Google Search Page.
The only caveat is that it also includes pages from the wiki. The user can decide whether that’s a bug or a feature.

EDIT: Here’s one that only searches the forum.

Awesome! Until now, I’ve been using the regular Google search, but this is much better!

It’s pretty comical how long the search function has either not worked properly or at all, and if anyone thinks it’s not high priority, they’re seriously mistaken. At best, it reflects poorly on the game; at worst, it seems like you’re intentionally trying to keep players from finding threads relating to their issues, so they won’t realize how many bugs still haven’t been fixed since launch.

Posted by: Zaxian.6035

Zaxian.6035

When search ceases to function, please update this thread again. We will explore options to potentially restore search again if it ceases to function, but I can’t make any promises at this time.

If I search this thread for the word ‘working’ I invariable get no results (when it clearly appears in at least one comment on the first page). Interestingly, if I search for ‘not’ I sometimes get 87 hits, occasionally 88, and then (after retyping it and searching a couple of times) 0 results.
If I search the entire forum for ‘working’ I get 4 hits, none of which are this thread.

It’s better than before (this time I actually get to a search page) but it’s clearly not completely functional.

Posted by: Mel.8769

Mel.8769

Google works better then the search function on these forums, since BETA. Use the site: feature

for example:
“site:forum-en.guildwars2.com search never works”

http://bit.ly/19XLeeY

Agreed. I use a similar method when I need to search these forums.

Common sense is a flower that doesn’t grow in everyone’s garden. -Unknown

Previous

Mark Katzbach

When search ceases to function, please update this thread again. We will explore options to potentially restore search again if it ceases to function, but I can’t make any promises at this time.

If I search this thread for the word ‘working’ I invariable get no results (when it clearly appears in at least one comment on the first page). Interestingly, if I search for ‘not’ I sometimes get 87 hits, occasionally 88, and then (after retyping it and searching a couple of times) 0 results.
If I search the entire forum for ‘working’ I get 4 hits, none of which are this thread.

It’s better than before (this time I actually get to a search page) but it’s clearly not completely functional.

We seem to have two separate issues affecting search. The first is with indexing, which immediately after the deploy appeared to be working as normal, but shortly thereafter narrowed down to only searching within about the last hour. The second is an issue where search stops functioning entirely after an undetermined amount of time. Currently, we’re only experiencing the first, but not the second.

Posted by: Imagi.4561

Imagi.4561

The search feature is working for me, at the moment. However, it only gives me results from threads I’ve recently visited, which isn’t terribly helpful.

#ELEtism
By Ogden’s hammer, what savings!

Posted by: lethlora.1320

lethlora.1320

Search is returning no results at all if I broaden my search past the letter “a”.

Posted by: Graendall.4765

Graendall.4765

Still not working

Zancrow The Red-Elementalist of [ObV]Oblivion-Hardcore WvW guild
http://oblivion-guild.shivtr.com/
Server-Piken Square

Posted by: Bjond.3581

Bjond.3581

Search hasn’t worked at all for me any time in the past few weeks. Most recently, I’ve been trying to use it to find a guild on henge of denravi and it can’t even find things that I cut & paste from the forum subject list.

Posted by: Seraki.2753

Seraki.2753

Been about 2 months that I noticed the search problem, still not working for me. The only search returns I get now is that it seems to find matching letters in my own recent post from the same day and nothing else. :/

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Not even working.

I tried searching for a word I could see as part of a thread title on first page in a forum. First 3 tries it shows zero results and on the fourth try it pulls up a thread that doesn’t even have that word in it.

Posted by: Omaris Mortuus Est.2738

Omaris Mortuus Est.2738

Yeah the search function of this website is absolutely terrible, almost non-existant!

I just created a forum post asking for mesmer builds, one reply was have I used teh search function, I laughed.

For instance let’s take the post above:

Not even working.

I tried searching for a word I could see as part of a thread title on first page in a forum. First 3 tries it shows zero results and on the fourth try it pulls up a thread that doesn’t even have that word in it.

Try searching for the word “working”, it’s there clear as day for everyone to see and now also appears in this post. I bet you the search displays no results.

It seems this website’s search function gets confused by punctuation.

If the webmaster is having trouble, may I suggest https://www.google.co.uk/cse/ :P

Macros, you can use them as long as they arent macros.
Remember to buy the officially endorsed GW2 Steel Series Keyboard, it supports macros!
WvW, we only care if it affects the servers we play on.

(edited by Omaris Mortuus Est.2738)

Posted by: robotempire.2451

robotempire.2451

Search is broken again/still. But really I’m posting because I want to hear how search got into this state in the first place. Would love a post-mortem on this. I wish you guys had more talks available on your web architecture.

Posted by: Einhander.8120

Einhander.8120

I’m thinking the API for the search function needs to be scraped and rebuild from scratch, getting a little tired of this search breaking all the time.

Posted by: Deli.1302

Deli.1302

To be honest, this forum has the worst search function I have ever seen.

Posted by: Darquan.1567

Darquan.1567

Start from scratch with a brand new forum. Freeze this “old broken forum” and within a couple months, all relevant data will exist in the new forum, frequently with pointers or links back to the old. I’ve seen other companies do this with great success. Yes, folks complain about making the transition, but the complaints will be brief.

Posted by: Portal Master.9146

Portal Master.9146

Funny you can’t even find the word search in this thread still! I think they should just remove the search box until it is fixed.

Posted by: Cefiro.9372

Cefiro.9372

I get 0 results for such searches as Agony Rating, or longer searches such as why does GW2 have gear gating such as agony rating

Posted by: circuitnerd.5863

circuitnerd.5863

doesnt work for me, and never has

Certified Gameaholic

Posted by: Peacemaker Xeranan.4508

Peacemaker Xeranan.4508

I have never had the search feature work in a meaningful way for me.

To test it out I can go the Mesmer forums and type “Mesmer” and get a couple of posts of people using the “Mesmer” but I type in just about anything else, even the words of a title I can see on the page I’m looking at, I suddenly get “No results found”.

Frustrating.

Posted by: Kitiara.2706

Kitiara.2706

Issues where the search engine would randomly return 0 results instead of real results have been fixed.

Guess this bug is back? I cannot search for anything at all. Get 0 results for all searches

Posted by: Doctoris.2675

Doctoris.2675

Also chiming in— in my experience, searches for a single word occasionally return less than a dozen recent results, searches with two words usually return no results. I’ve also resorted to using custom google searches when needing to search for something in these forums at the moment.

Posted by: Combination NC.9813

Combination NC.9813

Still not working for me. No matter what I put in a search for, I get zero results. Tested on the latest version of Chrome, Firefox and Explorer, on three different computers.

Knights of the Round Vegetable [SASS], Tarnished Coast.

Posted by: Anen.1742

Anen.1742

Please remove the Search box and replace it with a link to https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Aforum-en.guildwars2.com. This has given me infinitely better results than your Search feature.

Posted by: Sophianne.9204

Sophianne.9204

We seem to have two separate issues affecting search. The first is with indexing, which immediately after the deploy appeared to be working as normal, but shortly thereafter narrowed down to only searching within about the last hour. The second is an issue where search stops functioning entirely after an undetermined amount of time. Currently, we’re only experiencing the first, but not the second.

Mark – Thanks so much for taking the time to post an update. We hope that there will be another soon since it appears that this is still not working.

This morning I was going through the list of thief traits as I was considering the potential impact of the proposed upcoming changes to thief abilities. I was trying to check the forums to see if an old bug on Shadow Refuge had ever been corrected, but I was unable to get “Shadow Refuge” to appear as a search result (screenshot included as attachment). Since there are plenty of posts where it is mentioned at least as a component of a thief build, I’m sure it should have pulled results under that context, even if not for anything related to the bug.

The search has always worked like this for me. I quickly learned to put in the most general search terms possible, but still, the results aren’t coming up. I know database indexing is a pain, but “Search” is a critical feature. I’m sure you can tell by the length of thread that it’s a feature that has value and is worth the effort to correct. I understand from the many references in previous posts that it is possible to use Google, but it’s still preferred for this site to have its own search.

Thanks again! Please, post another update for us – even if only to say you’re still working on it. It’s just good to know that someone is still seeing our posts.

Attachments:

Posted by: joshisanonymous.5270

joshisanonymous.5270

I know it may hurt ArenaNet’s pride or something but, seriously, why have you not just implemented the Google search idea yet? Search has been pretty much unusable for as long as I can remember and even the most recent dev posts on this thread suggest that ArenaNet literally has no idea whatsoever why it’s not working. It’s pretty clear that the issue will not be resolved for a very, very, very long time (read: it will never be resolved). Please just implement Google search and be done with it. I’d rather have an in forum search that can target particular sections or threads but obviously ArenaNet is only capable of programming MMOs, not complicated stuff like forums.