Search feature not working

in Forum and Website Bugs

Posted by: Chaos Archangel.5071

Chaos Archangel.5071

Honestly.. This is getting really frustrating. I tried to ignore the issue for months now and still the search feature doesn’t work.

These forums are the BEST source of information for players.

At this point it just seems really careless. I hate to sound rude, but I think you guys are really underestimating what an important and useful tool the search function is when it works.

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

Haha, I’m just having one of those ‘doh’ moments. Tried to find a thread in the guardians section that I had posted in about a year ago, well, wasted a lot of time – typed key words into google … first hit.

Note to self: Use google.

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

Posted by: Mash Hog.5672

Mash Hog.5672

It’s been well over a year since we’ve been having these problems and this still hasn’t even been addressed…

Gasmic > Mic Gazzy
Leader of [GASM] #ELEtism
(Retired) Commander [2500+ tPvP Matches Won]

Posted by: MarMaster.6241

MarMaster.6241

Searching for the letter “b” … fails. Apparently there is a time dependency in search. A single letter search finds NOTHING. Let us just say search is very unreliable.

Dragonbrand (JQ) [FIRE]bats ~ Trusted member of the Universe
Mar Steadfast G, Silent Intrigue T, Mar Fidget Engi, Mar Fierce W, Silent Awe M
In GW2 since BWE1 ~ ~ ~ Guild leader of Legio Romana [LR], too

Posted by: Captain Morgan.6081

Captain Morgan.6081

Show me a way to turn off this behaviour where it automatically searches based on a few keys and then jumps to another page and I’ll be happy. I can hit the return key myself, thank you very much. This is the most annoying web stunt I’ve seen in years. And I’ve never seen another search function anywhere that works this way.

Posted by: wolfram.8291

wolfram.8291

Four months ago I made a post in this thread – “searched for ‘search’ and got 0 results”. I thought the message was obvious, but I guess I need to elaborate. I see these forums as a place to search for solutions to problems I’m having in the game, like bugs and griping about precursors. But more than that it’s a place to connect with the community. The search feature is a simple but powerful tool we take for granted. It’s one of those things you don’t miss till it’s gone, and I REALLY miss being able to find a thread about something I’m interested in without having to wade through pages of irrelevant topics. I’d like to voice my opinion, but I can’t find an audience that might care about what I’m saying. I’d like to see feedback on things I’m interested in, but I can’t find that either. As it stands, I use the forums almost exclusively to check patch notes. I only bother looking at other threads if I’m in a good mood, have time to kill, and don’t really care what topic I’m reading about.

Posted by: Bigoak.3270

Bigoak.3270

Search is limitied to last 1 hour of posts. Anything older than that is not returned, which is not very useful.

Posted by: uktrbuk.5807

uktrbuk.5807

I would like to add: I just tried using the search function while looking to see if a bug had previously been posted. Apparently there are no results for “party” in the forums, which of course is rubbish because I can find plenty via google.

If you don’t want people to repeat the same bugs in different topics over and over why not fix your search feature once and for all so people can determine whether or not they are repeating what 10 others have already said.

And in regards to:

Search is limitied to last 1 hour of posts. Anything older than that is not returned, which is not very useful.

Is this genuinely true? If so it is the worst idea I’ve ever heard.

Posted by: Rhongomyniad.5081

Rhongomyniad.5081

Came here to post this bug cause I can’t find a thread I am browsing on my phone – but looks like it is just the search feature bugged for months.

Posted by: Emissary Vex.5690

Emissary Vex.5690

The search function is not literally broken, its always been terrible

Posted by: Pyx.1906

Pyx.1906

why is everyone complaining? I just tested the search and it will always search for the letter “a”. That’s it. Just the letter “a”. No other word or letter set. Just change your search needs to fit the system!

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

win! see attachment.
Seriously, Anet why is this seemingly major feature of the forum more or less ignored? If it can’t be fixed just remove it and replace it with a Google search box. I hate to be harsh but the busted search function should be embarrassing to you.

Attachments:

The Burninator

Posted by: Culzean.8571

Culzean.8571

This about sums up my experience with the search function

Attachments:

-Wulf

Posted by: Fey Zeal.7032

Fey Zeal.7032

Is the forum search bar’s lack of correct functionality an issue that is just very low priority? Considering it has been 6 months since this Topic was created I would think some small step/s would have been taken or maybe it’s not so easily fixed.

I would think this not a small issue considering a search bar is what I understand to be the key feature used to reduce redundancy of posts. I hope the mods have better tools for navigating the forum at their disposal or I suppose their jobs must be far more frustrating than I could imagine.

Posted by: smiley.1438

smiley.1438

from http://www.fangamer.net/pages/about

The Fangamer Forum is an advanced forum software package the worst piece of crap ever we wrote from scratch for the Starmen.Net Forum. We recently licensed the software to made ArenaNet throw money at us for use in their Guild Wars Support Forum and still laugh at them for doing this.

Seriously, i bet every programmer you can find in the API subforum would write a better forum from scratch. I’ve never used any custom styles before – this forum (for an AAA game title!) was the first website ever to do so in order to make it at least a bit better usable. Of course it doesn’t solve the problems with the search…

On a side note: i was pleasantly surprised that the WildStar-Online Forums actually use the Invision Power Board (along with NCSoft login), which is one of the best commercial community solutions to date. I still cannot understand why ArenaNet chose the current crap…

Edit: The Fangamer blog is “Proudly powered by WordPress” – i guess we all know why…

/rant

(edited by smiley.1438)

JustTrogdor.7892

As the search feature is still not working I found this moderator post today as a bit odd.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/A-Question-1/first#post3413975

Please remember to use the search function before creating new topics. As this question has been replied to previously, this thread is locked.

Please fix the search function Anet, especially if you are going to tell people to use the search function.

Happy Holidays.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Posted by: Portal Master.9146

Portal Master.9146

Please fix the search function or remove it. I am a bit embarrassed for you seeing that this has not worked for so long.
Remove it at least and it won’t be glaring at us every time we come to the page.
Thank you.

*edited for grammar

Posted by: cassius.5809

cassius.5809

When search ceases to function, please update this thread again. We will explore options to potentially restore search again if it ceases to function, but I can’t make any promises at this time.

If I search this thread for the word ‘working’ I invariable get no results (when it clearly appears in at least one comment on the first page). Interestingly, if I search for ‘not’ I sometimes get 87 hits, occasionally 88, and then (after retyping it and searching a couple of times) 0 results.
If I search the entire forum for ‘working’ I get 4 hits, none of which are this thread.

It’s better than before (this time I actually get to a search page) but it’s clearly not completely functional.

We seem to have two separate issues affecting search. The first is with indexing, which immediately after the deploy appeared to be working as normal, but shortly thereafter narrowed down to only searching within about the last hour. The second is an issue where search stops functioning entirely after an undetermined amount of time. Currently, we’re only experiencing the first, but not the second.

Seems to be happening again, at least with the indexing.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/livingworld/wintersday2013

Typing ‘skritt’ into the search returns not results yet this thread is on the first page, 1 day old:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/livingworld/wintersday2013/Wintersday-gift-nodes-skritt/first#post3434871

Has skritt in both the title and the posts themselves.

Another one I can’t tell if it’s indexing or not since I can’t manually see any posts with it in, but ‘cog’ ‘mystic cogs’ or ‘mystic’ returns no results, however i’d assume at least one person has said cog in the thread/forum.

Perhaps implement a ‘tagging’ system that doesn’t get indexed? Create a comma seperated tag entry against a post alongside subject and body, and searches just refer to this for new posts (at least whilst it gets fixed).

Stack overflow does tagging very well.

Posted by: GrayFox.2601

GrayFox.2601

Here’s a workaround

Perform your search with Google instead, but start with the line “site:https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum

Here is an example, if I were searching for posts related to tonics:

You would type “site:https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum tonic” into Goggle and click search. (ignore the fact that it is a link, I can’t remove it, disabling textile doesn’t help)

And here is a link to the results
(paste it into the address bar, clicking on it triggers the External Link Warning message and when it finally goes through it just takes you to the Google search page)

https://www.google.com/search?num=20&site=&source=hp&q=site%3Ahttps%3A%2F%2Fforum-en.guildwars2.com%2Fforum+tonic&oq=site%3Ahttps%3A%2F%2Fforum-en.guildwars2.com%2Fforum+tonic&gs_l=hp.12...1983.22585.0.25432.16.14.2.0.0.0.132.1033.12j2.14.0....0...1c.1.32.hp..7.9.656.G0sctEwol5E

While not perfect, I think the results are fairly good for having to use Google to search the site, especially considering I get zero results from the same search using the forum search bar.

Posted by: frans.8092

frans.8092

I can’t even find a topic I just created with words (like soulbound) from that topic. It’s really unusable.

Posted by: Foghladha.2506

Foghladha.2506

Benjamin “Foghladha.2506” Foley
Founder, Gaiscioch Community [GSCH] | Gaiscioch Magazine | Twitch | YouTube | Twitter
Proud Resident of Mercenary Server Sanctum of Rall | 6 Year Extra-Life Charity Event Participant

Posted by: Mirage.4536

Mirage.4536

We need to keep boosting this topic and if someone gets a chance, ask a dev when they are going to fix it if they get a chance at a Q&A or such….

Posted by: dennie.9237

dennie.9237

Still not work…screens

Attachments:

Chaos Archangel.5071

This is kind of sad. =/ Not even a Dev response on the subject? It’s been over a year now….

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Just use google like I do. Make sure to put gw2 first and you’ll see a bunch of posts on your topic. Google even let’s you search by date too.

Posted by: Nutshel.7264

Nutshel.7264

Just use google like I do. Make sure to put gw2 first and you’ll see a bunch of posts on your topic. Google even let’s you search by date too.

That’s not the point. I feel that forum is integral part of service they provide and as such has to work properly – it does not.

Why would they even try to develop their own forum solution when they obviously do not have means to do so properly? It lacks usability, features and these that are here do no work.

Just suck up your pride anet, get one of
already well working available solution and mod it to your needs, that would have been easier and probably cheaper if that was done in the first place

Posted by: smiley.1438

smiley.1438

Just suck up your pride anet, get one of already well working available solution and mod it to your needs, that would have been easier and probably cheaper if that was done in the first place

Just a few postings before (i guess your answer was merged from another topic): https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/forum/Search-feature-not-working/3411380

Posted by: Nutshel.7264

Nutshel.7264

…i guess your answer was merged from another topic…

Actually no, cba to read 5 pages of posts, just scrolled though them to see if any of anet staff had something worthwhile to say.

But if that’s true and they did license forum and modded it then wtf has happened there when the decision which one to pick was made? Did they not test it prior? Did not research it?

My point still stands, why would they pick crap soft and mod it to point where it is still not usable instead of picking

already well working available solution

?

Posted by: Tom Deluxe.9105

Tom Deluxe.9105

Any updates about this? Search is still not working properly and the last developer talked about this like 4 months ago…

Posted by: Lolalilu.8546

Lolalilu.8546

It has never worked for me. Never not ever have I had a search result in anything other than “No results”.

[PSC] Recruiter Extraordinaire

Posted by: Avigrus.2871

Avigrus.2871

The search feature has never worked.

Every other forum i have ever used has had a working search function – i don’t understand why it’s so hard to fix.

80 Necro (5), 80 Guard (4), 80 Mesmer (3)
80 Ranger (3), 80 Warrior (3), 80 Thief (3)
80 Ele (2), 80 Engi (3), 80 Rev (2)

Posted by: DoctorOverlord.8620

DoctorOverlord.8620

This forum has to be one of the least functional I have ever seen. The Search function has never worked even on the most basic level. I just lagged out and crashed simply trying to post on a CDI thread. I just lost my entire post because I had to reload the page.

I do not have these problems on any other professional company forum. ArenaNet seriously needs a complete overhaul of this forum.

Check my GW2 Comic Dynamic Events http://goo.gl/JyB3J (Short Google Link to Fan Content Forum here)

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

Lol, kinda funny. I just come here every 2-3 months to see if they did something and even after more than one year they still can’t fix a freaking forum search feature. This stands for the neverending bugfests we have in the whole game.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: trooper.2650

trooper.2650

I do not want to be rude but… I started wondering if Anet is short of staff/money. In which case why not a monthly subscription? The game would be worth it… I love this game. Seriously.
I never complained about in game bugs because I always thought Anet would have had fix them soon or later. But after reading this post I started wondering why a problem like this hasn’t been fixed yet. And everything leads me to think that they do not have the time or the man power to address it. I do not what to believe they do not care.

Chaos Archangel.5071

Over a year, 6000 views and 100+ comments and still no fix..

Whoever moderates this thread must be laughing their abs off.

Posted by: Bran.7425

Bran.7425

On these forums, anytime now… no pressure.

Pets have been hidden due to rising Player complaints.

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

I know it’s not exactly what you are asking for but in case you were not aware, you can use the Google site function to search the forums by typing “site:https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/” after your search term. Without quotes of course

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

I tried a search a few days back after a moderator post on a thread admonishing people to do a search on the forum. It gave me several posts BUT only one or two were relevant. The rest were random, by which I mean they didn’t even have the word I was searching for. This is unprofessional and makes ANet look incompetent.

Did another search for the word guild on the Accounts Forum. It gave me ONE post, from that day.

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

JustTrogdor.7892

I tried a search a few days back after a moderator post on a thread admonishing people to do a search on the forum.

I’ve seen this as well and is is kind of frustrating to see Anet staff chastise people and tell them to use a feature that doesn’t work, at all.

The Burninator

Posted by: technonewt.2907

technonewt.2907

I too have trouble finding anything using this forums search feature. It seems very very picky about how you type anything into it to find. 90% i get 0 results for anything. Also typing in results and it auto searches take me out of the window is really annoying, especially if i was just trying to delete a typo and retype in the search bar again.

Posted by: Image.8630

Image.8630

I cant remember the last time it worked. Seriously, how hard is it to get a working search engine?

Posted by: Mash Hog.5672

Mash Hog.5672

This is ridiculous.

15 Charrs.

Gasmic > Mic Gazzy
Leader of [GASM] #ELEtism
(Retired) Commander [2500+ tPvP Matches Won]

Posted by: shadow.6174

shadow.6174

EDIT: the thread where this post was before was merged, so why this post now doesn’t make any sense :P

(edited by shadow.6174)

JustTrogdor.7892

And still we are waiting for a working search. I don’t understand the silence from Anet on this.

Attachments:

The Burninator

Posted by: EpicHedgehog.1754

EpicHedgehog.1754

I want to do a suggestion thread, but first i want to check if the same suggestion already exist, but the search engine is not working. There will be a lot of identical threads if the search feature of the forum is not working.

Not good at english ^^

Posted by: Mootly.5246

Mootly.5246

Yes, would definitely be nice to have a search function that searches. At present there are apparently no articles mentioning the Trading Post, but there is one mentioning April … specifically, many people pointing out that the Trading Post stopped working on the Mac client some time yesterday.

Makes it really, really hard to look for known bugs and solutions before starting a new chain.

/me ambles off to see if maybe the problem is that they are looking to hire someone to manage the forums and documentation even as we complain.

(edited by Mootly.5246)

Posted by: infantrydiv.1620

infantrydiv.1620

I mean seriously, it’s been like this for ages… and seems to work in some forums and not others….

Ranger//Necro

Posted by: LordEnki.9283

LordEnki.9283

^This. It’s very tough to see if anyone else has posted a similar question or observation.

Posted by: Nage.1520

Nage.1520

I’ve seen this exact post before. I think I see it about every three months. You’d not know it, however, because the forum search box doesn’t work.

JustTrogdor.7892

And… still busted. Really, Anet can you fix it or not? If you can’t just say so. If you can, well, fix it.

Attachments:

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)