Liadri fight worse than ever

in Festival of the Four Winds

Posted by: Nokaru.7831

Nokaru.7831

• A Medic was added to revive you after failed attempts if you are alone.

Is this really true? (Haven’t tried doing queens gambit again, haven’t really gotten past my anger from first release) If so, thats awesome, probably the best thing out of all the changes (at least to me).

It’s true.

Posted by: King Hardcore.7065

King Hardcore.7065

I personally enjoy and accept the challenge. I fought her probally 20 times earlier(never fought her last year) and died every single time..came close a few different times but I never felt like I couldnt do it. Im gunna get her Ive brainstormed a few ideas with what to do I know the exact pattern Im just not outputting enough damage as I kite her right now. So I adjusted my build some(ele) to get some more might(full fire) output and I know her kitten is done when I get some tickets tomorrow.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

I just saw a necromancer killing liadri with the 3 shrouded by darkness buffs.
Is that even possible?
That buff specifically says: “Immunity to damage from incoming attacks”
So how can he even damage her?
He killed her with all 3 shrouded by darkness buffs.

Lifesteal.

Venoms do it too, although it’s hard to beat the timer that way.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Jorvych.3064

Jorvych.3064

I can’t seem to get past phase 1 on my mesmer. I’ve tried a zerker build, a PU build, and some build this person told me their used.
It’s really bumming me out. It seems like I’m waaaay too squishy to survive all of the stuff she throws at me. I’ve never fought her or anything, but I’ve read guides and seen videos and it just doesn’t add up for me.

Posted by: Zanshin.5379

Zanshin.5379

For those who keep saying “hey, I beat her, it’s an easy fight”, get off your high horses. There is currently a bug where a shadow will kill without touching you. I just witnessed it right now.

Posted by: Bluee.1425

Bluee.1425

I wouldn’t say it was easy, but it was a definitely a challenge that’s not impossible. Last year I could do it, but now this year I could. I beat Liadri as Elementalist D/D. Once I got used to the mechanics, all I had to do after that was execute the plan to beat her.

Commander Champion Magus Bluee of Rata Sum Security [RSS]

Posted by: Rezz.8019

Rezz.8019

Took me like 10 tries to beat her on my berserker glass ranger. I won’t do 8 orbs on ranger though.

Posted by: Yamiga.7863

Yamiga.7863

I can’t seem to get past phase 1 on my mesmer. I’ve tried a zerker build, a PU build, and some build this person told me their used.
It’s really bumming me out. It seems like I’m waaaay too squishy to survive all of the stuff she throws at me. I’ve never fought her or anything, but I’ve read guides and seen videos and it just doesn’t add up for me.

zerk mesmer (phantasms oriented) worked really fine for me, did the 8 orbs achiev too
sword+focus (both traited) works wonder for 1st phase: use the focus to reflect her attacks and sword #2 to dodge the aoes. Once you get used to the patterns of the aoes, white pits and illusions spawning it gets quite easy. After that switch to GS and kite her to death. I strongly suggest bringing Mantra of Recovery to get rid of the cripple (i also used the Mender’s Purity trait with Mirror for heal), and Blink in case of emergency

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

It’s not that easy and still extremely annoying. I think I blew through 25 times on my warrior just now. It’s still a highly variable and not really skill based. It’s just luck of the draw and build based.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Posted by: Realist.5812

Realist.5812

It’s not that easy and still extremely annoying. I think I blew through 25 times on my warrior just now. It’s still a highly variable and not really skill based. It’s just luck of the draw and build based.

Warrior is probably the easiest class to do it with.

There is no luck involved, since the entire fight is based on patterns and set spawns. There is nothing random about it. Every run in the same arena is exactly the same.

Stop looking at Liadri/clones, and just look at the floor and for vortexes.

As a warrior, last year and this year I used:

Full celestial (any Condi set is fine), sword warhorn longbow.
2, Deep cuts
3, Dogged march
6, lung capacity, quick breathing, shout heals
3, signet mastery

Healing signet
Endure pain, for if you’re about to make a mistake
For great justice
Shake it off
Signet of rage

Sigil of doom/earth on longbow. Food: Mango pie, but anything will do really.

Start of fight, select Liadri and press control+T, so you can target her later without looking, by pressing T.

Now all you do is walk around in a circle around the arena, when you’re in the next rotations safe spot, hit Liadri with longbow F1, 5 and 2. Maintain vigour with warhorn. Repeat. Auto Win. Ez.

8 orbs? Can’t give tips for that, you just need to keep doing it until you remember the patterns perfectly. Actually, one tip, perfect your movement/timing with the spawns, and replicate your movements each run, don’t move around differently.

Same goes for every class, use ranged condis, bring heals, walk around in a circle, win.

ALL IS VAIN.
PvP modes are the “endgame” in every MMO.
Stop failing at PvE, start fixing PvP/WvW. Thank you.

(edited by Realist.5812)

Posted by: Wilder Wicht.7206

Wilder Wicht.7206

For me it was a fun fight, and now after around 20 attempts i managed to kill her with my Warrior.

Build:
Axe(Sigil of force)/horn(sigil of energy) and Greatsword (sigil of force+night)
Traits: 6/5/0/0/3
Full Berserker’s with scholar runes, with strength runes should work even better. I think i never got the 6th rune bonus of scholar while damaging her.

Food: Bowl of Orrian Truffle and Meat Stew and Maintenance Oil
Utilities: Signet of Stamina, shake it off and i think i had signet of might

Strategy for phase 1: move quickly right-left to avoid Liadri’s auto-attack, use gs 5 to rush to orbs and kite the adds
Damage phase: try to separate her from her adds and burst her down, repeat until she dies :-)

Condi or Ranged builds weren’t an option to me, melee is more fun!

Posted by: eekzie.5640

eekzie.5640

The event is the same every single time.
How does that make it luck based?

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

The orientation of the Shadowfall’s and Cosmic Rift’s to you and themselves have a set of variables. I’m also not thrilled with the poor visual representation of the Shadowfall boundaries and Vision of Mortality hit range. I’ve lost several times due to moving in whats visually in the clear and yet being hit by both. If anything, the visual representation should span beyond the attack radius, not less than it. Whether it’s lag or not, it’s pretty poor.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

(edited by DeWolfe.2174)

Posted by: Mr Ko Killer.7206

Mr Ko Killer.7206

If you’re just going for a simple Liadri kill, depending on how long it takes to kill her it relatively is the same…however, rifts don’t always spawn in the same spot nor do they have a set time before they pull you in, I’ve had a rift spawn and about 2 seconds later pull me in, I’ve also had rifts spawn and pull me in 5 seconds or more later.

For someone going for the 8 orbs as well, it is pretty much based on luck depending on on what I mentioned above…because if they spawn in an area further away from a light portal, it makes it that much harder to kite the visions into them. Especially if you’re trying to kite at least 2 into a portal at the same time to quickly have 8 orbs and have plenty of time to kill her.

Jade Quarry’s TrollMaster General| Generation Of Legends [EviL] Leader

Posted by: Dwaynas Avatar.1562

Dwaynas Avatar.1562

Pro-Tip: Use your favorite warrior build and faceroll the keyboard, this will do it for you.
Even the 8 orbs, I can tell from experience.

all is vain – #BelieveInKarl – #EvanForPresident

Posted by: keenlam.4753

keenlam.4753

#Tips for Phase 1#
There are couple of things you can make use of:
- stealth will buy you time against the shades, they need to target u to explode. if u in stealth, the shades simply just stand around doing nothing.
- aoe blind (Torch #4, signet of midnight) works on the shades, if they explode on you while blinded, they will miss.
- keep moving sideway a bit (left right, dont stand still) to easily avoid Liadri’s auto attack.
- use a proper heal (i see lots of people use signet heal, if u can’t manage, maybe its time to use a better heal, signet heal is very ineffective, since most of the time, you dont have even 1 illusion out to make use of the bonus passive heal).
- most importantly, learn how the fight works and stick to a certain dome so you can familiarize yourself with her attack patterns.

#Tips for Phase 2#
- tips from Phase 1 still apply here
- GS is great for this
- have decent condition removal (mantra is recommended)
- remember u dont need LoS to cast phantasm
- cripple/cc Liadri and/or the shades to give yourself some space to maneuever around.

Best of luck.

(edited by keenlam.4753)

Posted by: Noctis Kai.3579

Noctis Kai.3579

There is no luck involved, since the entire fight is based on patterns and set spawns. There is nothing random about it. Every run in the same arena is exactly the same.

I’m relatively positive, after 70 or so failures, the light-vortexes and the Rifts both have at least a semi-random spawn variances/activation rates(for rifts), cause in regards to Light-vortexes theres been a few occasions that its spawned kitten up against the wall making it next to impossible to get a clone to walk on it reliably.

It’s not impossible. Its a accomplish-able fight with memorizing patterns and such, but that said, I can’t in good conscience call “1-hit KO” mechanic anything but cheap and lazy design. The fight is fairly challenging in some ways, but not so fair in others. Fun for some, frustrating for most.

I’m not saying the fight should be changed, just that the rage toward it isn’t unreasonable.

(edited by Noctis Kai.3579)

Posted by: Velimere.7685

Velimere.7685

Hey, I beat her. It’s an easy fight.

Anyone who says Zerk is the average Joe build is an average Joe.

Posted by: Nabarue.3290

Nabarue.3290

I’m relatively positive, after 70 or so failures, the light-vortexes and the Rifts both have at least a semi-random spawn variances/activation rates(for rifts), cause in regards to Light-vortexes theres been a few occasions that its spawned kitten up against the wall making it next to impossible to get a clone to walk on it reliably.

It’s not impossible. Its a accomplish-able fight with memorizing patterns and such, but that said, I can’t in good conscience call “1-hit KO” mechanic anything but cheap and lazy design. The fight is fairly challenging in some ways, but not so fair in others. Fun for some, frustrating for most.

I’m not saying the fight should be changed, just that the rage toward it isn’t unreasonable.

I can agree with the part about cheap and lazy design. It certainly feels that way.

I also agree with you saying it IS able to be done. I am about 70 tries into it. Playing an engineer. It’s difficult. Been an engi since a week after launch. I don’t suck at my class, and I know how to play, but darn if it isn’t just intensely frustrating.

I get close. Had her at 25% health once. But I just have yet to be able to seal the deal. I will keep trying. My pride dictates as much. But I will curse it up and down now, and even after I beat it.

Sir Sprocket the Engi/ Kyoryu Silver the Ele
And my Alter-Ego- Kyoryu Gold, Mesmer, Thundering Hero, wielder of the Legendary Meteorlogicus!

Posted by: Realist.5812

Realist.5812

Focus on the floor, where aoe is dropping, and where it is dropping next, and where you’re going to move/stand. Play with sound so you can hear rifts. Don’t watch Liadri just target her with ctrl-T and drop the occasional attack/condition on her.

The one hit mechanic isn’t really all that lazy and unreasonable, since you can see the aoe circles and know where the next lot will be spawning, and you can see the visions slowly walking.

And if they changed both of those to do damage rather than 1 hit, all it means is you could build tanky (aka Condi bunker) and you’d never die, since you would heal to full HP instantly after being hit. No challenge there.

The one hit mechanics are fine in this fight, since it is making sure you keep track of your positioning, its not like the boss just spam throws 1-hit KO projectiles at you, that would be unreasonable and lazy design.

As for the light puddle things, there’s no variance there, its always in the same spots.

Rifts? They spawn in one of a few set locations, which one it spawns at I think is random. If a rift gets you downed you can kill it to get rallied. It is even easier to kill it this year, last year it was broken/glitched.

Tip: Stand on the edge of the aoe circles, so after that wave drops, you can instantly move into the area they dropped into, and you now have tonnes of time to deal damage or pick up an orb. Practicing this is necessary for the 8 orb achievement.

I like how the fight isn’t simply about dodge/dps or tank/dps like every other AI fight in the game. This one is positioning/dodge/dps/cleanse cripple/remembrance/focus, and I wish we had a lot more challenges like it.

ALL IS VAIN.
PvP modes are the “endgame” in every MMO.
Stop failing at PvE, start fixing PvP/WvW. Thank you.

(edited by Realist.5812)

Posted by: Nabarue.3290

Nabarue.3290

All I’m sayin is if I wanted to play Dark Souls, I’d play Dark Souls.

Now back to the walking death factory that is Liadri. Gonna get her one of these games.

Sir Sprocket the Engi/ Kyoryu Silver the Ele
And my Alter-Ego- Kyoryu Gold, Mesmer, Thundering Hero, wielder of the Legendary Meteorlogicus!

Posted by: dodgycookies.4562

dodgycookies.4562

The problem is that the pve content in this game usually does not require any skill at all. So when difficult content arrives like liadri, candidate trials, aetherblade path TA, there are always complaints from those not used to the difficulty which is much higher than most of the other content. Pve in gw2 is purposefully not separated into “raider” and “everyone else” but rather “those that put in the time” and “those who play the game very casually”. This makes time the distinguishing factor in pve rather than skill. However difficult content goes against the whole pve design philosophy.

I’ve said this the first time Liadri came out: the gauntlet bosses are combinations of simple raid mechanics that have been used for years. However there is a split in the playerbase. For those who have raided and participated in high end pve content in other games, she is pretty easy. Especially for those who have done all aspects (tanking/healing/melee+ranged dps).

For those who have never been part of that scene will find her extremely challenging as they must learn “the book of raiding” in a short amount of time while raiders have had years to get accustomed to mechanics/playstyles.

Bugs aside, the mechanics are neither cheap nor new and is found in most modern raid encounters. Shadowfall is a simple ground pattern aoe that forces player movement. Adds to orbs forces players to pay attention to surroundings and positioning. The cosmic rifts force target shifts. Her cripple is debuff management. Her leap is an attack that should be mitigated through a tank cd (in this case dodge). Her whirl cleave forces melee disengage. And the timer is simply an enrage. Raiders have dealt with all these mechanics for a long time and at the high end know 1 mistake wipes a raid. The only real challenge is that most dont deal with all aspects at once, and could be new for those who have only done 1 job ever in raids.

[ICoa] Blackgate

(edited by dodgycookies.4562)

Posted by: Lalocat.6793

Lalocat.6793

The orientation of the Shadowfall’s and Cosmic Rift’s to you and themselves have a set of variables. I’m also not thrilled with the poor visual representation of the Shadowfall boundaries and Vision of Mortality hit range. I’ve lost several times due to moving in whats visually in the clear and yet being hit by both. If anything, the visual representation should span beyond the attack radius, not less than it. Whether it’s lag or not, it’s pretty poor.

I died to this a lot, and see people dying to it all the time while waiting. It looks like you are far enough, but you’re not. I finally just started dodging through the shadowfall, needs exact timing but luckily for me is the same as dodging alpha’s aoe in coe so I had lots of practice. Without this I never would have beat her, soooo many times it looked like I was out but the little evade text would pop up, showing that if I’d dodged just a little sooner I’d have died again.