Golem Pronounced Wrong!

Golem Pronounced Wrong!

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Meriem.3504

Meriem.3504

I Just wanted to point out Hobo-Tron pronounces golem as you do gollum from the LotR. It is pronounce goal lum. This is important because I <3 Hobo-Tron!

Golem Pronounced Wrong!

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Shaez.5762

Shaez.5762

I actually believe it’s pronounced more like Goal em.

Golem Pronounced Wrong!

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: xerca.6135

xerca.6135

At leas I have always pronounced Golem as Goal-em

Golem Pronounced Wrong!

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Elbegast.6970

Elbegast.6970

“Exterminate! Exterminate! Exterminate the Doc – tor!” – Hobo-Tron

Golem Pronounced Wrong!

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Grimwolf.7163

Grimwolf.7163

Webster’s claims it can be either goal-em or goal-um, so that’s no help. Goll-em certainly isn’t one of them, though!
I’d favor the side that actually follows the spelling and say it’s goal-em.

(edited by Grimwolf.7163)

Golem Pronounced Wrong!

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

It is a different planet that doesn’t actually exist. I think we can allow them a little differentiation in pronunciation of the occasional word.

#TeamJadeQuarry

Golem Pronounced Wrong!

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

Goal-em was the original pronunciation, but it’s since come to be widely pronounced both ways.

Just like a Jubilee was the 50th year after seven Sabbath years, but now it just means big celebration.

Golem Pronounced Wrong!

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Grimwolf.7163

Grimwolf.7163

It is a different planet that doesn’t actually exist. I think we can allow them a little differentiation in pronunciation of the occasional word.

Maybe we could also allow all the characters to talk in an incomprehensible fake language made of gibberish so we never actually know what anyone is saying, since it’s a “different planet” and all.
Maybe everyone there talks telepathically, or maybe with pheromones like some kind of insect, so we just watch characters stare blankly at each other for some length of time.

Golem Pronounced Wrong!

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

This really bothers me also. It’s like everyone heard Gollum’s name used in LotR and suddenly started assuming they were the same thing when the clearly aren’t. Golem (goh-lem) = a magical construct. Gollum (gah-lem) = the name of a creature based on the sound he makes from the back of his throat.

It is and always has been pronounced like “goal” and not like “gall”. WoW did the same thing with their insistence that the plural of “shaman” was “shaman” when it is objectively “shamans”. Stop defending it, just fix it.

Maybe we could also allow all the characters to talk in an incomprehensible fake language made of gibberish so we never actually know what anyone is saying, since it’s a “different planet” and all.
Maybe everyone there talks telepathically, or maybe with pheromones like some kind of insect, so we just watch characters stare blankly at each other for some length of time.

This post eloquently lays out the idiocy of the previous argument (no offense meant to that poster). Language has rules for a reason, because otherwise we’d just be barking incomprehensible gibberish at each other. People should strive to obey those rules. When they fail to do so, they should be corrected.

Goh-lem is correct. Shamans is correct. Octopuses, not Octopi, is correct.

(edited by Einlanzer.1627)

Golem Pronounced Wrong!

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Just here to say, if you think that’s a problem don’t talk to anyone from Boston about their automobile, or Canada concerning their footwear. And it will drive you mad to try to talk to someone in Britain . . .

This post eloquently describes the idiocy of the previous argument. Language has rules for a reason, because otherwise we’d just be barking incomprehensible gibberish at each other. People should strive to obey those rules. When they fail to do so, they should be corrected.

Language has rules, but they’re all different from language to language. And a lot of times, even the rules for English do not make sense. Seriously, just look at homonyms for a start.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Golem Pronounced Wrong!

in Queen's Jubilee

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Octopuses, not Octopi, is correct.

Both are correct.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Golem Pronounced Wrong!

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

Just here to say, if you think that’s a problem don’t talk to anyone from Boston about their automobile, or Canada concerning their footwear. And it will drive you mad to try to talk to someone in Britain . . .

This post eloquently describes the idiocy of the previous argument. Language has rules for a reason, because otherwise we’d just be barking incomprehensible gibberish at each other. People should strive to obey those rules. When they fail to do so, they should be corrected.

Language has rules, but they’re all different from language to language. And a lot of times, even the rules for English do not make sense. Seriously, just look at homonyms for a start.

And none of that is related to how one should be pronouncing golem.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Golem Pronounced Wrong!

in Queen's Jubilee

Einlanzer.1627

People like to toss out this argument a lot, but it frankly misses the point. The main reason why is because inflection is not the same as pronunciation rules. While the Queen’s English and American English differ to some extent, the vast majority of words are pronounced the same way using the same exact grammar rules; it’s only the speaker’s inflection that differs due to regional variation in accents.

Even rather egregious examples like the way the ‘r’ is spoken in the NE are not the product of following improper grammar rules, they are differences of inflection based on speech conditioning. Meanwhile, the tendency in the south to use double negatives is just a regional application of bad grammar and should be corrected.

Golem Pronounced Wrong!

in Queen's Jubilee

Tobias Trueflight.8350

And none of that is related to how one should be pronouncing golem.

It’s related, you just need to step back to appreciate the broader scope of the discussion on language. It’s not directly related, but heck, I’ve seem flimsier connections used to justify a lot on the forums so why not?

Golem Pronounced Wrong!

in Queen's Jubilee

Tobias Trueflight.8350

People like to toss out this argument a lot, but it frankly misses the point. The main reason why is because inflection is not the same as pronunciation. While the Queen’s English and American English differ to some extent, the vast majority of words are pronounced the same way using the same exact grammar rules; it’s only the speaker’s inflection that differs due to regional variation in accents.

Well, when the accent on a Bostonian “car” loses the R sound and the C becomes a hard K? It does make a difference, much like accents in the Southern US tend to blur words together sometimes into other things. And that’s without visiting South Carolina and some of the accents there . . .

No, it doesn’t fully excuse “gall-em” versus “goh-lem” (not using the long O), but if I can run into people continuously correcting my spelling with “colour” then I can make this argument.

Golem Pronounced Wrong!

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Lonewolf Kai.3682

Lonewolf Kai.3682

Toe-may-toe, toe-mah-toe; Poe-tay-toe, poe-tah-toe?

……Sorry, couldn’t resist.

“Be like water” – Bruce Lee

Golem Pronounced Wrong!

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: LyricDawnhagen.7803

LyricDawnhagen.7803

Actually (in US English) the word golem should be pronounced as

‘go-lem’ – with a long o and neutral e.

sited for reference: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/golem

Golem Pronounced Wrong!

in Queen's Jubilee

VOLKON.1290

People like to toss out this argument a lot, but it frankly misses the point. The main reason why is because inflection is not the same as pronunciation. While the Queen’s English and American English differ to some extent, the vast majority of words are pronounced the same way using the same exact grammar rules; it’s only the speaker’s inflection that differs due to regional variation in accents.

Well, when the accent on a Bostonian “car” loses the R sound and the C becomes a hard K? It does make a difference, much like accents in the Southern US tend to blur words together sometimes into other things. And that’s without visiting South Carolina and some of the accents there . . .

No, it doesn’t fully excuse “gall-em” versus “goh-lem” (not using the long O), but if I can run into people continuously correcting my spelling with “colour” then I can make this argument.

I’ve heard that thing covering a house called a roof with a long ‘oo’ sound, and I’ve heard it pronounced like “ruff”, depends where you are. I’ve lived in at least a dozen states across the U.S., coast to coast to coast and heard more accents than you’d believe. “Gall-em” vs. “Goh-lem” can very easily be written off as local accents.

#TeamJadeQuarry

Golem Pronounced Wrong!

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Rainbow Sprint.3215

Rainbow Sprint.3215

It’s deck-ku alright? Everything else is wrong.

Don’t criticize something for pronouncing it a different way when it’s not technically wrong.

Golem Pronounced Wrong!

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

I’m pretty sure there are other NPC’s who use the Gall-Uhm pronunciation as well. The Asura at the gate in the Grove talking about the Sylvari wierding out his golem does, I think.

Golem Pronounced Wrong!

in Queen's Jubilee

Einlanzer.1627

Don’t criticize something for pronouncing it a different way when it’s not technically wrong.

That’s the rub though – it is technically wrong. Maybe it isn’t a crime against humanity, but it’s still annoying when they blatantly mispronounce something that has a very well established correct pronunciation and everyone defends it.

We might as well start mispronouncing everything and never calling into question.

Golem Pronounced Wrong!

in Queen's Jubilee

VOLKON.1290

It is technically wrong though, that’s the thing. Maybe it isn’t a crime against humanity, but it’s still annoying when they blatantly mispronounce that has a very well established correct pronunciation and everyone defends it.

“Well established” and “correct” pronunciations are not the same thing. “Well established” can change even between counties within a state like you wouldn’t believe.

#TeamJadeQuarry

Golem Pronounced Wrong!

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Meriem.3504

Meriem.3504

Ya that is closer. I just really wanted to emphasize the pronunciation!

When does he say this?! o.o

What if I started calling you VOLTRON instead of VOLKON >: O

(edited by Meriem.3504)

Golem Pronounced Wrong!

in Queen's Jubilee

VOLKON.1290

Ya that is closer. I just really wanted to emphasize the pronunciation!

When does he say this?! o.o

What if I started calling you VOLTRON instead of VOLKON >: O

You could, but that would be well beyond the realm of inflection and odds are no one would have a clue as to what you’re talking about. In Tyria, everyone seems to know what “Gah-lem” is. Now, if they pronounced it “Golly-gee-willakers”, that would be akin to your example.

#TeamJadeQuarry

Golem Pronounced Wrong!

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: RoyHarmon.5398

RoyHarmon.5398

Goal-em was the original pronunciation, but it’s since come to be widely pronounced both ways.

Just like a Jubilee was the 50th year after seven Sabbath years, but now it just means big celebration.

Actually, Vekk pronounced it like “Gollum” in the Eye of the North cinematics.

“It is the stupidest children who are the most childish
and the stupidest grown-ups who are the most grown-up.”
- C. S. Lewis

Golem Pronounced Wrong!

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: RoyHarmon.5398

RoyHarmon.5398

“It is the stupidest children who are the most childish
and the stupidest grown-ups who are the most grown-up.”
- C. S. Lewis

Golem Pronounced Wrong!

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: RedRhino.4281

RedRhino.4281

I’m still wondering where “Clore” Island is at. Trahearne keeps talking about this clore island and how we have to defend it, but I can’t find it.

Golem Pronounced Wrong!

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I pronounce it as “Goal-em”. The other pronounciation just reminds me of a wretched little troglodyte hiding in the darkness and whispering “My Preciousssss” to himself over and over. :P

Golem Pronounced Wrong!

in Queen's Jubilee

Posted by: Lonewolf Kai.3682

Lonewolf Kai.3682

ROFLOL!

I +1’d that.

“Be like water” – Bruce Lee