Kill credit is breaking during big events.

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Edge.4180

Edge.4180

Note: this thread is NOT about event chest rewards.

Something was horribly wrong with our ability to receive kill credit (both XP and a chance of receiving drops from the corpses) during the Lost Shores event. The phase 3 event with the Ancient Karka is the example I’m going to focus on.

I’ve been watching a few recorded streams of the entire event and some of these video makers were receiving kill credit for almost every mob they bothered to attack during the Lost Shores finale on the island. I watched players obtain what seemed to be nearly a level’s worth of XP on kills alone, and obtain so many item drops from corpses that they had to go sell at a vendor mid-event because their inventories were overflowing with treasure. Shells, junk-loot, blues, greens, yellows.. they got it all and they got A LOT of it.

Now, as far as kill credit + loot goes, I usually do very well on normal zone events that require killing hordes of monsters, even amongst a decent sized (a dozen or so) group of players. And I was doing comparable damage (and often better) than these people who were recording the Lost Shore finale streams, with much more consistency, and being more aggressive with my attacking. The players streaming tended to multi-task often (typing in chat, fiddle with game settings, stop to make comments for the video, etc), usually just auto-attacking at these moments and sometimes not bothering to even do that. And yet, they would receive kill credit after kill credit. I watched one streamer fire just a total of TEN attacks against a veteran Karka, almost all the strikes minor auto-attacks, and still receive credit for the kill.

I, on the other hand, walked out of the 3+ hour Lost Shores finale with a total of 6 Karka kills under my belt (verified by the Karka kill achievement counter) and no corpse loot drops . How is that even possible? I would run up to a fresh karka, big or small, and attack it from start till death and still not receive kill credit for my efforts. And I know I wasn’t alone, because there were many, many people complaining about the lack of loot drops and XP during the event.

Now, I was assuming that practically no one was receiving kill credit, and the reason for that is this: according to developer interviews, to receive credit for killing a mob (and thus be rewarded XP and a chance of a loot drop) you have to be responsible for at least 5-10% of the damage required to kill your opponent. Let’s be on the safe/generous side and say 5%. Well, once you have more than 20 players fighting a single opponent, you’re obviously in a situation where some people are guaranteed not to get kill credit no matter how hard they try.

In fact, once you have ~25 people attacking one of these event monsters with large health pools, it is theoretically possible for nobody to get credit for killing the mob if all 25 players are responsible for no more than 4% of the total damage. Throw 50 or 75 players at a champion boss in one of these events and the likelihood of no one receiving XP (or the possibility of a loot drop) increases dramatically. It would be fairly difficult for an individual to be responsible for at least 5% of the damage done to mob (with a large health pool) if you have nearly a hundred other players attacking it also.

And that made sense to me, but what doesn’t make sense are some players making out like total bandits on kill credit while others who were doing comparable damage (or better) were receiving no kill credit during the phase 3 event. Something must be breaking down somewhere in how kill credit is awarded when you have dozens and dozens of players attacking the same monster. I can’t imagine what else could be causing such a huge disparity in awards.

The only obvious difference (I could see) between myself and players receiving tons of kill credit was that they were in a party and I was not. But that shouldn’t have been a factor AT ALL, because credit for kills is not shared between party members. I know this because it is one of the big things that annoy me about grouping. I wish they did because then it would be easier for players to focus on support roles during events, but it doesn’t: if one player in a group is doing all the damage and the other group members are not, only the player doing damage receives credit for the kill. It has always worked that way in this game.

So, if it’s not a party-thing, then what’s the deal? Something is breaking down somewhere. I’m curious to hear other people’s experience on kill credit during the Lost Shores finale.

(edited by Edge.4180)

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Aexrael.5918

Aexrael.5918

according to developer interviews, to receive credit for killing a mob (and thus be rewarded XP and a chance of a loot drop) you have to be responsible for at least 5-10% of the damage required to kill your opponent.

Source of this quote?

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Facepunch.5710

Facepunch.5710

I also got only a dozen or so kills added to my karka kill count achievement, and I don’t think I got any loot rights at all. I assumed this was because I’m a staff ele and I was switching on and off between casting on the karkas and casting regen fields on the zerg of players, so I just didn’t do enough damage compared to everyone else.

Please take your tinfoil hats off and be reasonable. ~ReginaB
This forum is a wretched hive of scum and villainy. ~DevilLordLaser

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Katz.5143

Katz.5143

There is a huge incentive to group. If you are grouped, as best I can tell, everyone in the group is getting some credit if anyone in the group hits the mob. Therefore, it is best to have the maximum size group in order to get decent drops.

This is based on my observations of when I have participated in events solo versus grouped. If I am wrong, someone please correct me.

It’s a kitten conspiracy. Kittens gonna be kittens. All is vain!

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: roperratt.6917

roperratt.6917

People were getting drops and exp from Vet karkas? I did not know that. I thought that they didn’t reward exp and loot. I spent several hours in the event Sunday, and then did a little exploring after. I never once received exp or loot from a vet. That’s why I made the decision to not go back to that area.

IGN: Roper the Ratt, Mithril Knight, Sophie the Golden, (TTS), (DTtD), (KCCO), (BANA)
Fort Aspenwood

in The Lost Shores

Edge.4180

according to developer interviews, to receive credit for killing a mob (and thus be rewarded XP and a chance of a loot drop) you have to be responsible for at least 5-10% of the damage required to kill your opponent.

Source of this quote?

http://www.incgamers.com/2011/06/interview-designing-guild-wars-2-part-2

in The Lost Shores

Edge.4180

There is a huge incentive to group. If you are grouped, as best I can tell, everyone in the group is getting some credit if anyone in the group hits the mob. Therefore, it is best to have the maximum size group in order to get decent drops.

This is based on my observations of when I have participated in events solo versus grouped. If I am wrong, someone please correct me.

This simply can’t be accurate. And I say that because it is so simple to test. Get a friend and form a group with them, and then go kill some mobs (or kill mobs in an event). If you simply stand there while your friend does all the killing, even if you are actively buffing your friend the entire time, you will not get credit for the kills. No XP message. No looting rights. You must do beyond a certain threshold of damage to the monster to receive credit for the kill.

In regards to grouping, I know it doesn’t work that way in nearly every other MMO. I wish it were true here because I’ve been complaining about that failing of the group mechanic since beta. But how I’m describing it is how it works (unfortunately).

in The Lost Shores

Posted by: Clarity.7281

Clarity.7281

This simply can’t be accurate. And I say that because it is so simple to test. Get a friend and form a group with them, and then go kill some mobs (or kill mobs in an event). If you simply stand there while your friend does all the killing, even if you are actively buffing your friend the entire time, you will not get credit for the kills. No XP message. No looting rights. You must do beyond a certain threshold of damage to the monster to receive credit for the kill.

In regards to grouping, I know it doesn’t work that way in nearly every other MMO. I wish it were true here because I’ve been complaining about that failing of the group mechanic since beta. But how I’m describing it is how it works (unfortunately).

Actually you are both right, You can get more credit, however you have to hit the mob, not just buff or heal an ally. If you do so you do get team effort on the kill, therefore more experience and more chances at loot.