World 2, Zone 3...that's it.

in Super Adventure Box: Back to School

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

Well. The Super Adventure Box is ruined for me now. I had to do this on Infantile Mode just because I wanted to finish this thing. And even now as I type this, I’m still stuck trying to finish it.

Seriously, who designed this place? It is too long. Even with the happy clouds helping me out, it just felt like this level stretched on longer than it should have.

The enemies are still annoying to deal with, especially when ranged ones knock you off the rainbows to your death, and the ice means you can either not get enough momentum for a jump and kill yourself, or go too fast, overshoot your jump, and still kill yourself.

And I’m still irritated by needing to get a torch to even get to the rest of the level. There’s a great idea. Make us require an item, that in order to even buy, we have to find a specific shop back in World 1 Zone 3, because just having the bag expansion available anywhere after getting into World 2 just made too much sense, or was too convenient. And how many times do we use it? Twice. …… ….what was the point?!

Posted by: xerokitsune.5094

xerokitsune.5094

Did you go to world 3-1? There is a bit more story(it ties nicely in with the story bit ) and 2 achievements attached.

Posted by: showtime.9175

showtime.9175

I think you are obviously trolling.

If not, take a look at this:
20min run, world 2, zone 3 tribulation difficulty, pre-nerf
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUr-JYdQKMI

Now its easier because they nerfed a lot.

Nilkemia.8507

And, as if enduring all that wasn’t enough, I reach the boss. This guy is supremely annoying. Things start off fine, just hit his projectiles back at him, since nothing else works. (Note to developers: Making boss fights that render nearly our entire inventory pointless is stupid and not challenging in the slightest, just more cheap artificial difficulty)

I get the boss to half health, and he decides to be a complete jerk. He uses a cheap charge move that you can’t outrun, and even if you dodge, he just changes directions and hits you anyway, turning the fight into a battle of attrition. Make sure you have 2-3 Continue Coins for this part, because that’s the only way I managed.

And even after that, the boss goes “I’m not left-handed, I’m a frakking dragon!”

Even now, I am still stuck there, waiting, cooling off, because I basically had no idea what to do and just kept dying to all the lightning… if this is an example of what future levels will be like, than I don’t want it anymore. Just wanted to finish the levels and get what little story there is for this, and I can’t even do that with out more misery. On Infantile Mode, of all things.. sigh.

I’m still not buying that stupid Infinite Coin. Now I’m beginning to think that the people arguing that the coin essentially means pay-to-win might actually be right, in a manner of speaking. This is how bad that last zone is.

Nilkemia.8507

Did you go to world 3-1? There is a bit more story(it ties nicely in with the story bit ) and 2 achievements attached.

Um, no. Mainly because I can’t. The whole reason I’m even slogging through World 2 at all is to unlock that little bit.

Nilkemia.8507

I think you are obviously trolling.

If not, take a look at this:
20min run, world 2, zone 3 tribulation difficulty, pre-nerf
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUr-JYdQKMI

Now its easier because they nerfed a lot.

And I think you’re not reading at all. I’m not on Tribulation Mode.

Posted by: Riathen.2641

Riathen.2641

Complaining about too much content is a null complaint. The zone is not all that long to begin with and you can get through it rather quickly if you’re a decent player. The enemies can be annoying, sure, but I’d rather have enemies that you have to make some sort of effort to kill or avoid over enemies that just stand there and allow you to pass.

If you didn’t purchase the upgrades in other worlds, that’s your problem. What’s the point of having upgrades in a game if you’re not even going to be required to use them at some point? Needing certain items to continue was used in games that SAB is influenced by. If that’s not your thing, I don’t know what to tell you. Don’t play it, I guess.

Overall I don’t understand your complaints. You state that you needed infantile mode to complete this zone which unravels what you say about the zone being too long. This shows that you need to improve at jumping puzzles to lower your clear time instead of coming to the forums to incorrectly say that the content is too lengthy.

Riathen.2641

And, as if enduring all that wasn’t enough, I reach the boss. This guy is supremely annoying. Things start off fine, just hit his projectiles back at him, since nothing else works. (Note to developers: Making boss fights that render nearly our entire inventory pointless is stupid and not challenging in the slightest, just more cheap artificial difficulty)

I get the boss to half health, and he decides to be a complete jerk. He uses a cheap charge move that you can’t outrun, and even if you dodge, he just changes directions and hits you anyway, turning the fight into a battle of attrition. Make sure you have 2-3 Continue Coins for this part, because that’s the only way I managed.

And even after that, the boss goes “I’m not left-handed, I’m a frakking dragon!”

Even now, I am still stuck there, waiting, cooling off, because I basically had no idea what to do and just kept dying to all the lightning… if this is an example of what future levels will be like, than I don’t want it anymore. Just wanted to finish the levels and get what little story there is for this, and I can’t even do that with out more misery. On Infantile Mode, of all things.. sigh.

I’m still not buying that stupid Infinite Coin. Now I’m beginning to think that the people arguing that the coin essentially means pay-to-win might actually be right, in a manner of speaking. This is how bad that last zone is.

After reading this I can say that all you really need to do is get good. You’re the problem here, not the developers. The storm wizard is as straight forward a boss as you could ask for. Reflect his attacks, run from him when he charges at you (WHICH YOU CAN DO), and then on to the second phase. Once you’re there all you have to do is wait in the middle until the lightning orbs disappear on the outer platforms and then kill any lightning orbs he sends after you in the center. After that, jump to an outer platform as he’ll blast the center. Next he’ll eat a platform and fall on the center where you can damage him. Repeat until dead. Easy.

Posted by: Crise.9401

Crise.9401

Storm Wizard is arguably easier than the frog, charge is annoying yes… but the two dodges are enough, since he only changes direction once, and dodge nulls all damage, if you manage to have enough distance from when he starts you might not even need more than one dodge. The key to his first form is distance.

The dragon phase is little finicky at times but it has a clear pattern, destroy “dragon balls” (by killing the things that kill you) when that is done stay on the outer ring of platforms (since he nukes center) and keep on the move to give yourself more time to react to his dives. Afterwards he lands on the center platform, which is your window to do damage, three rounds and he is dead.

Storm Wizard is definitely easier/more interesting and fun than the yeti, who can burn in hell and never be seen or heard from again as far as I am concerned (spam jumping is not fun, there are not even half way points like on the slope earlier).

(edited by Crise.9401)

Nilkemia.8507

Snip snip “you’re just whiny” “you just suck” “you’re just entitled” snip snip.

You’re clearly not reading either. Whatever. I did finally kill that annoying boss. Somehow. Felt more like I was waiting for it to let me hit it rather than anything I was doing. Well, regardless, I won’t play that zone again.

(edited by Nilkemia.8507)

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Something tells me that you may not enjoy the older games which were based about this. There are a ton of games that required items before you could progress (*cough*Zelda*cough*). Not all games can be rushed through and be super easy.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Nilkemia.8507

No, I probably wouldn’t enjoy those. Yes, other games do require certain items to progress, but from my experiences, they didn’t make you have to grind one zone over for about 15 times to get enough for them.

Riathen.2641

Snip snip “you’re just whiny” “you just suck” “you’re just entitled” snip snip.

You’re clearly not reading either. Whatever. I did finally kill that annoying boss. Somehow. Felt more like I was waiting for it to let me hit it rather than anything I was doing. Well, regardless, I won’t play that zone again.

Pfthaha oh man that denial. Unlike you I actually read what was being said and next to none of it was valid. Try looking at yourself to see what YOU could improve instead of instantly writing it off as being the games problem. I’m sick of these kinds of complaints so no I won’t be entirely nice about it. I said to improve yourself which you do need to. That is all. People like you are what prevents games like this from having any sort of challenging content. Every patch it’s complaint after complaint on how rewards aren’t being outright handed to them. It needs to stop. Try getting better next time instead of coming to the forums to complain about your incompetence. Complaints like these flood out the actual criticisms and bugs that deserve the developers attention, not your whining.

Posted by: Player Character.9467

Player Character.9467

2-3 Infantile took too long? All you do is run on rainbows… I think it takes like 10 minutes at most…

Nilkemia.8507

Well, than I guess I just suck. Like I said, I’m not running through World 2 ever again…just awful compared to World 1. Don’t even care to go to World 3, or what little we get to see of it. Take that evil genie, I’m not a pawn in your scheme!

Posted by: Vermillion.1429

Vermillion.1429

I so hope that Anet never listens to anything you have to say. 2-3 was perhaps the most enjoyable zone pre-nerfs, I had a blast. The boss was simple and easy to telegraph, the charge portion was a bit annoying, but you have to just be very careful with your dodges.

The fact you struggled on infantile tells me you really do need to re-evaluate what you are doing. I don’t want developers catering to babies anymore, they’ve ruined enough genre’s because of this.

Nilkemia.8507

If this were Tribulation Mode, you might have a point. But this was the supposed “easy mode” and it still felt like it went on too long. And that boss…ugh. I even dodged twice and still got hit anyways. It was basically reduced to “better kill this boss before he uses up all of your lives and coins!”

I’ve gotten to the point where I can handle all of World 1 and the Toad King himself with little trouble on Normal Mode, but apparently I still suck, even though it’s clear that World 2’s length and difficulty are too far upwards compared to World 1.

Posted by: Andrew.4506

Andrew.4506

Did you finish the dragon boss? Because on infantile it’s kind of a joke. You can just stand at the top of the rainbow platforms and afk until it’s time to dps the boss. Then you walk up and press 1 until he gets up. As for his “cheap charge”. You can outrun it. He sometimes still catches up, but you can avoid most of it by just running along the outer circle.

Posted by: showtime.9175

showtime.9175

Don’t feed the troll.

Posted by: matthewr.3980

matthewr.3980

This was my experience, too. First half of the battle was alright. A few stupid mistakes and learning how to time the reflection back at the boss.

When he starts to dakitten you, expect to lose a heart.

And there is virtually zero indication of what to do in the dragon form fight.

Posted by: matthewr.3980

matthewr.3980

After reading this I can say that all you really need to do is get good. You’re the problem here, not the developers.

This is one of the worst posts I’ve ever seen on the GW2 forum.

Posted by: drunkenpilot.9837

drunkenpilot.9837

It’s the final zone of World 2, so of course it’s more difficult than World 1. This is to be expected.

I assume that at the time of your posting, it was your first time playing through that zone. First time through a level in Super Mario Bros and you’re probably going to die a lot, too. I bet if you were to go back and play through that zone again you would find that it isn’t as outrageously difficult as you previously thought, because once you’ve learned the layout of a level and what to expect, you can tackle it fairly easily.

I myself got extremely frustrated at zone 3 in normal mode when playing through it the first time, but after the second and third playthroughs and I’d figured out where to go and what to do, it’s a fairly straightforward zone now.

Practice, practice, practice!

Posted by: Jacks.5367

Jacks.5367

Tbh it’s true that SAB is difficult and annoying (especially tribulation) but that was what make the optional mini-game fun.

There are many circumstances where I almost become like this kid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kIlsmQRIzM

(edited by Jacks.5367)

Nilkemia.8507

Yes, it is to be expected, but the difficulty of World 2 compared to World 1 makes it seem like it feel like an awful sharp spike.

Yes, at the time of that post, it was my first (and only) time running 2-3. It probably would get easier eventually if I felt like running through it. But after that horrible first impression on what was supposed to be the easy mode, I just have no desire to do it again.

I’ll just stick to World 1, as I should. And I won’t touch Tribulation Mode.

Posted by: neon.4863

neon.4863

World 2 is incredibly long compared to World 1. It is also much harder than World 1, even post-nerf. I can understand why someone who isn’t experienced with or very fond of this type of content would be frustrated. I can tell you, though, that after going through it the first time, it gets less frustrating.

The length really is a problem, though, especially since this is an online game (meaning disconnect solo or in trib and you’re done – unlike a console where it’d take a blackout, something much more infrequent than a disconnect, or a portable device, which would just take running out of battery power, even more infrequent if you have a power supply available). I hope there are ways to return to checkpoints you’ve already unlocked in the future.

Posted by: Cele.5467

Cele.5467

Well. The Super Adventure Box is ruined for me now. I had to do this on Infantile Mode just because I wanted to finish this thing. And even now as I type this, I’m still stuck trying to finish it.

Seriously, who designed this place? It is too long. Even with the happy clouds helping me out, it just felt like this level stretched on longer than it should have.

The enemies are still annoying to deal with, especially when ranged ones knock you off the rainbows to your death, and the ice means you can either not get enough momentum for a jump and kill yourself, or go too fast, overshoot your jump, and still kill yourself.

And I’m still irritated by needing to get a torch to even get to the rest of the level. There’s a great idea. Make us require an item, that in order to even buy, we have to find a specific shop back in World 1 Zone 3, because just having the bag expansion available anywhere after getting into World 2 just made too much sense, or was too convenient. And how many times do we use it? Twice. …… ….what was the point?!

either Plataformers is not your thing or you are just trolling

I have just finished this on tribulation mode, yeah it was hard, but not so much.
I have to agree with you on the LONG levels, none of my 8 bit plataformers took 2 hours to complete on the first run (world 2 zone2 im looking at you)
Now on the backtracking that’s a nice detail since on older games I found myself going back for some items, hell even Zelda games still do that

Im a photographer, Visit my website :D http://cele-cam.deviantart.com/

Nilkemia.8507

Because I’m known for being a troll. (/sarcasm) It seems you didn’t read the entirety of my posts either. I suspect you’re one, but I’ll feed you. Just this once.

I have just finished this on tribulation mode, yeah it was hard, but not so much.

Um, well, congrats to you. But I didn’t play this level on Tribulation Mode, so that comment is pointless, unless you’re seeking to stroke your own ego. It seems like you expect everyone else to live up to Tribulation Mode’s standard or stop playing.

And while backtracking in and of itself is fine, it isn’t if it’s badly done. The torch costed 400 baubles, more than you can initially carry, so you have to buy the bag expansion, which is 250 baubles in and of itself. So, I ended up starting W1Z1 over and over, using the key, 20 bauble chest and the nearby cave that needs to be bombed, about..oh 10-15 times. That’s just tedious. And as I pointed out before, you only need it twice in the whole level. What a waste.

I suppose you’ll tell me the Storm Wizard is somehow easier than the Toad King too?

Posted by: Merendel.7128

Merendel.7128

Um, well, congrats to you. But I didn’t play this level on Tribulation Mode, so that comment is pointless, unless you’re seeking to stroke your own ego. It seems like you expect everyone else to live up to Tribulation Mode’s standard or stop playing.

And while backtracking in and of itself is fine, it isn’t if it’s badly done. The torch costed 400 baubles, more than you can initially carry, so you have to buy the bag expansion, which is 250 baubles in and of itself. So, I ended up starting W1Z1 over and over, using the key, 20 bauble chest and the nearby cave that needs to be bombed, about..oh 10-15 times. That’s just tedious. And as I pointed out before, you only need it twice in the whole level. What a waste.

I suppose you’ll tell me the Storm Wizard is somehow easier than the Toad King too?

Its really rather trivial to get that number of baubles if your smart about it except if you run the whole thing on infintile. go to dufly and follow one of their guids to the world 1 dig spots. Even after the nerf from the april version you could still easily get 400+ baubles once a day going through and hiting them all, only downside is they dont show up in infintile.

Asside from the requirement of the torch I really cant see how they could make infintile mode any easier for you short of just puting a button where you zone in labled press F for loot and achievements. I ran it for the achievement after I’d already done tribulation mode and compaired to the 4 hour slog of learning that with no guides it was downright dull. Do you even have any achievements for the open world jumping puzzles that didnt involve a mesmer port? because I cant think of many that were easier than infintile mode if you disregard having to fight the storm wizard at the end.

And ya, torch might be a waste for only 2 uses if you just want to clear on infintile but you need it alot more to uncover all the secrets in the zone. If your really wanting to be stingy just partner up with someone thats already got it, they can open the door for you.

(edited by Merendel.7128)

Posted by: dronzer.8392

dronzer.8392

Its really rather trivial to get that number of baubles if your smart about it except if you run the whole thing on infintile. go to dufly and follow one of their guids to the world 1 dig spots. Even after the nerf from the april version you could still easily get 400+ baubles once a day going through and hiting them all, only downside is they dont show up in infintile.

Asside from the requirement of the torch I really cant see how they could make infintile mode any easier for you short of just puting a button where you zone in labled press F for loot and achievements. I ran it for the achievement after I’d already done tribulation mode and compaired to the 4 hour slog of learning that with no guides it was downright dull. Do you even have any achievements for the open world jumping puzzles that didnt involve a mesmer port? because I cant think of many that were easier than infintile mode if you disregard having to fight the storm wizard at the end.

And ya, torch might be a waste for only 2 uses if you just want to clear on infintile but you need it alot more to uncover all the secrets in the zone. If your really wanting to be stingy just partner up with someone thats already got it, they can open the door for you.

I think your answer is pretty heavily biased and one sided here, especially since you’re saying how easy and dull TM is, objectively speaking it is very true that there such a huge spike not only in difficulty, but also in length and higher progression barriers as well as upgrade costs in comparison to the first world, there doesn’t seem to be a median between to the two, it just suddenly went from , “oh that is cool, fun and straight forward” to.. . “uhhh, what the hell…” – at least that was my first thought, I generally run achievements first from hardest to easiest so my first stop was in infantile mode, I was pretty surprised as how lengthy it was, especially in W2Z3, whilst the pretty rainbow takes you to the end it is still quite a trek the first time you do it, and that Storm Wizard boss, I like the design of the fight minus the charge ability, but I hate how the skills work for the encounter, the “push” has a ridiculously slow animation and makes it feel clunky and worst of all it’s key binded to 9…….. , and the hit boxes of the enemies are small, it makes it feel unresponsive, especially when you’re wacking the lightning balls.

As for the torch I definitely agree that it was by far the most stupidest barrier to add and I can definitely see how frustrating that is for casual players or those that didn’t also farm the living hells out of World 1 back in April, the cost is just a bit on the silly side.

Though once the zones are done on a regular basis, it all falls into place and it becomes easier as you begin to know the routes and enemy distribution.

Though I do feel World 1 was perfect, World 2 seems at least to me has fallen into the trap of quantity over quality, some parts just seem un-necessarily long.

Oh for Baubles, if you can muster it… learn the route for 1-1 TM, you’ll get 250 baubles for the end (daily) chest and doing this over several days you can build up enough to afford the upgrades without the feeling of “excessive grinding” if you know what I mean.

Nilkemia.8507

I stuck to Normal Mode throughout World 1. I tried World 2 on Normal, but after the raft section, it just became too much. (Granted, that was before the patch, so it might be better now, but I didn’t feel like it after that.) So I went on Infantile to get through the levels quickly to reach the World 3 preview. But even with those happy clouds, it just felt too long compared to World 1. Meh.

While I’m aware that Dulfy probably has a guide to all the good dig spots, I just stuck with the 20 bauble chest, the green “5” bauble(s), bombing the cave to get 20 more, then going back to the hub and doing it again. I don’t feel like having to have the Dulfy guide open and constantly moving back and forth to get all the dig spots. Especially seeing as they too are account bound, once-a-day digs. And honestly, if I have to rely on a third-party site to help me just get through the levels, that implies that I’m either really stupid, or that whoever designed them did a poor job.

And I’ve been doing this all solo, so.. (shrug) Sorry. I don’t mind playing with others, but I prefer to do it myself.

Posted by: Player Character.9467

Player Character.9467

The wallet upgrade was a world 1 item and loads of chests in world 2 contain 50 each.

Posted by: posidenii.8279

posidenii.8279

The fact you struggled on infantile tells me you really do need to re-evaluate what you are doing. I don’t want developers catering to babies anymore, they’ve ruined enough genre’s because of this.

That just bad logic, infantile mode is suppose to cater to babies cause that’s what infantile means. Why would you fault someone who is in infantile mode want it to be infantile?

Also I agree with it being too long and its not that I don’t want the content but can be less painful? See what the above poster suggested.

“I hope there are ways to return to checkpoints you’ve already unlocked in the future.”

Posted by: Cele.5467

Cele.5467

Because I’m known for being a troll. (/sarcasm) It seems you didn’t read the entirety of my posts either. I suspect you’re one, but I’ll feed you. Just this once.

Whoa easy there buddy, not triying to prove anything here, i’m just saying it may not be your thing, and no there’s no way im telling you that wizard is not OP, the frog can be done without getting hit, but the wizzard charges are just out of the question, me and my friend tried to figure out the strat for him the only way we found possible is to climb the clouds of infantile mode, normal you are just gonna have to suck it, and TB sparks just spawn everywhere and get you killed reaaaally fast.
Now, back to topic there are TONS of baubbles in w1z1 i just went in abou 5 times and got the 250 baubbles, digsites are great, there are some nice baubbles in the secret rooms, and if that’s not your thing on normal you can get some decent loot on the boss’s Chest.

Im a photographer, Visit my website :D http://cele-cam.deviantart.com/

Posted by: zityz.6089

zityz.6089

I would say that world 2 over all IS TOO LONG. What made the first world so great was it was short quick and straight to the point. some hidden things here and there. World 2 is honestly a group of dudes overthinking the whole thing. I love the concepts and how each look but I honestly never want to bother with world 2 again. Too many mini bosses in between other mini bosses and some interesting stuff (Q-bert nod) that I think could have been used at a later date.

World 2 LOOKS better than World 1 but World 1 is far more enjoyable to play through.

I did it on infantile mode myself because I was just getting too bored trying to go through it and even then I felt like I spent a good solid 2 hours or so by hopping on clouds.

That boss could have done without the wizard part completely. The dragon was cool but after fighting that p.o.s. Yeti for no reason just to fight the wizard( which BTW whoever thought it was a good idea to put the clouds in a way where they’re IN the way? I hope your running coffee for the rest of the Dev team for the rest of the month) and then having to fight the dragon.

Overall it’s a 5/10 for world 2. Bummer really because SAB was the best Living World add on stuff I enjoyed.

Oh well. Can’t win em all.

Posted by: Havana.8625

Havana.8625

Don’t feed the troll.

Most helpful comment in this thread.

“We don’t need to make gear treadmills”
Colin Johanson on how arenanet measures success.
(Please no gear treadmills, Colin!)

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

“I hope there are ways to return to checkpoints you’ve already unlocked in the future.”

wtf, zones arent divided small enough for you?

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions