Italian market

Italian market

in Suggestions

Posted by: JosepITA.3780

JosepITA.3780

hi all!
i have a suggestion for this excellent game!
Many people I know, do not play this beautiful game, because they know little English and are afraid of the idea of a game where they would understand little or no English.
I am sure, if you translate the game with italian subtitles many other Italians buy the game.

thanks in advance for your answers

Italian market

in Suggestions

JosepITA.3780

We have picked up a lot of signatures (as they have made the Spanish players):

http://firmiamo.it/for-a-guild-wars-2-subtitled-in-italian

Italian market

in Suggestions

Posted by: wouw.5837

wouw.5837

Not going to happen anytime soon, there are to few Italian only speakers in the world, Spanish is something totaly different.

Elona is Love, Elona is life.

Italian market

in Suggestions

JosepITA.3780

I’m not saying this.
The Italian community on Gw2 is increasing more every day. At least their subtitles they could insert them.

Italian market

in Suggestions

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

It might be growing, but it is still only a single country and not a very wide-spread language.

As such it is quite unlikely that they could justify spending the money for said translation.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Italian market

in Suggestions

JosepITA.3780

I understand your answer but it is wrong.
Arenanet has spent many money in Italy for publicity of Gw2.

In time of economic recession to pay a team of translation for subtitles is more economic.
In alternative, us fan we can also make the translation so the only cost for arenanet would be the exit of the strings in English and the entry of the strings in Italian.
As you see, it is not necessary to spend many money for subtitles in Italian (or in other language).

Italian market

in Suggestions

lordkrall.7241

Even if fans would translate it, ArenaNet would still need to hire someone with understanding of Italian to proof-read the whole thing.
There is also the whole matter with new information needing translation every two weeks and if they were going to be live as soon as the rest of the languages, they would need to send out the information long before each release, which wouldn’t really work if it was done by fans.

It will cost a rather huge amount of money, regardless who does the actual translation.
And if they do it for Italian, then they should also do it for every other language of the playerbase and that would require a massive amount of time and money with way too little payout.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Italian market

in Suggestions

JosepITA.3780

What???? are you sure? I don’t believe. If it were so the other MMORPGs that support a lot of languages would have closed.
Neverwinter and Aion are (for example) translated in continuation, yet they have not closed down yet. Especially Aion that’s a lot of translate.
another example, WOW (And they support a lot of languages).

Italian market

in Suggestions

lordkrall.7241

And how many of those games does have new updates needing translation every two weeks?
Or more or less everything with voice-over (and yes, if they are to translate it, it is highly unlikely they would not give voice-overs for the new languages, seeing as it is a rather major part of the game.)

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Italian market

in Suggestions

JosepITA.3780

The voice-over is not important. Seem me that Guild wars 2 in Spanish it has only the subtitles and not the dubbing.
What is important, is the subtitles. Nobody is asking the moon .

Italian market

in Suggestions

Posted by: Dante.8456

Dante.8456

Im sorry, perhaps I’m being naive but surely the cost to add subtitles is minimal. I mean ‘spending money for translation’ – does no one realise that this cost is tiny? Add all the text in GW2 and hire a few translators and in a few weeks (if that) it will be translated and that would cost little. The real expense is changing the game text of NPCs and the implementation of that. I’m less sure of this but I would assume that:

Cost of translation < New game purchases of an entire additional demographic

I mean are there not already multiple language versions for the asian v english-speaking markets?

I agree though that there are some languages that should take priority (Spanish) because Italian is not very widely-spoken (and I’m Italian!)

Desolation EU
Guardian / WvW Enthusiast

Italian market

in Suggestions

JosepITA.3780

Im sorry, perhaps I’m being naive but surely the cost to add subtitles is minimal. I mean ‘spending money for translation’ – does no one realise that this cost is tiny? Add all the text in GW2 and hire a few translators and in a few weeks (if that) it will be translated and that would cost little. The real expense is changing the game text of NPCs and the implementation of that. I’m less sure of this but I would assume that:

Cost of translation < New game purchases of an entire additional demographic

I mean are there not already multiple language versions for the asian v english-speaking markets?

I agree though that there are some languages that should take priority (Spanish) because Italian is not very widely-spoken (and I’m Italian!)

HOLY WORDS !!! The costs of translation are quickly repaid.

(edited by JosepITA.3780)

Italian market

in Suggestions

lordkrall.7241

The cost for might it not be superhigh, but they would still need to hire at least one full-time translator for every new language supported, seeing as there are new things that needs translating with EVERY SINGLE RELEASE. Which means there is constantly new translation work having to be done. And hiring someone full-time DOES cost money.

It will most likely still cost more than they would earn from it, thus it is a bad addition, from a business point of view.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Italian market

in Suggestions

JosepITA.3780

The costs are repaid. In This way are made the investments. Welcome in the real world. Then of thing you are speaking?

Italian market

in Suggestions

lordkrall.7241

So you are going to suggest that enough italian people will suddenly start playing (and constantly buying gems) the game to pay for a full-time translator?

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Italian market

in Suggestions

Posted by: Tetriandoch.6145

Tetriandoch.6145

Hello. Just a few points about this topic.
1) I am indeed Italian.
2) I speak/write/read fluent English and never found any problems in playing games in English.
3) The repliers are right: Italian community isn’t big enough to justify a total (or partial, whatever) translation of the game and I don’t really think it’s growing that much, but it’s just my feeling.
4) As much as I would support the thing, fans can’t stay up-to-date with amateur translations with the ongoing amount of content ANet biweekly publishes. Who would keep on translating new content without being paid just for the sake of it?
5) I’m not into statistics and numbers but I don’t think that the cost of translating the entire game (a cost that DOES exist and it’s NOT a secondary issue, as lordkrall is trying to explain!) in a minor language like ours would really be repaid.
6) This game is not a very complex one and lacks profound narration: you could understand every personal-story cutscene without even reading a single line of text or listening to mediocre acting voices. It’s 95% about combat, but that’s not the point of this thread I reckon. ^^
7) The only part that I’d like to see translated in the game, though, are skill descriptions and tooltips. They (usually) don’t change with living-world content and may help an Italian non-English reader to have a better understanding of combat, which is 95% of the game and… again… ^^

Do try to learn some basic words like smash, hammer, destroy, burn, knockback, corruption and so on… you’ll enjoy the game at its best! ^^
Happy new year!

And a few words to my Italian mates: disponibile per tradurvi e spiegarvi qualsiasi parte del gioco vi sembri necessaria (davvero necessaria, però) in qualsiasi momento, purché la impariate e memorizziate così da non doverla tradurre tutte le volte (e farmi fare lavoro doppio). Il mio nick in-game è di fianco!

Italian market

in Suggestions

JosepITA.3780

7) The only part that I’d like to see translated in the game, though, are skill descriptions and tooltips. They (usually) don’t change with living-world content and may help an Italian non-English reader to have a better understanding of combat, which is 95% of the game and… again… ^^

ahahha
Would be already something!