UK 28y/o wants immersive, fun play w/ purpose

in Looking for...

Posted by: Orenard.2541

Orenard.2541

Hello people!

Downloading GW2 right now and want to choose the right server for the right guild.

I’ve tried MMO’s in the past but struggled with a lot of the stuff that GW2 reputedly does away with. I want immersion in my games and I play them to chill. I will go hardcore if there’s good reason- which means genuine enjoyment and, if it exists, a sense of purpose in-game. I’m not here to grind!

I’d be up for an RP guild but I’m guessing these are fairly rare. Aside from that just a group of good people who like to immerse themselves in the game world and enjoy it would be great. I’m all for teamwork and sharing!

Orenard

in Looking for...

Posted by: Falunel.7645

Falunel.7645

Welcome, Orenard!

You came to the right game. Here’s a little thing I wrote in another thread:

GW2’s not a typical MMO- it’s not about rushing to max level to then grind one tier of gear in order to grind the next tier of gear so you can participate in X raid to get another tier of gear and then be able to participate in Y raid to get another tier of gear ad infinitum. It’s more like Skyrim in that a huge part of the game is built around exploration and finding secret events, secret caves, interesting tidbits of lore, and so on. You take your time and progress at your own rate.

When people say that the endgame starts at level 2, that’s what they mean. From the beginning, you can unlock your skills and go exploring wherever you wish. You unlock dungeons as you progress and can do them again at level 80 with them still being challenging and rewarding. If you don’t enjoy running from heart to heart, then turn off your minimap and simply navigate by what you see on the screen- follow an interesting path, dive to the bottom of a lake to find a network of underwater caves, or read a book in a creepy shack to spawn demons that will ambush you from behind. There’s a whole world of things to discover out there, and practically everything in it will give you exp.

I’ll warn that you’ll run into people who, to put it politely, are “typical MMOers”- the people who complain that everything’s a grind and do nothing all day but run in circles (in fact, you may encounter these people in the human starter zone). However, I have played since launch, have several fully geared level 80s/a legendary weapon/a bunch of other nice cosmetics, and can attest that GW2 is only grindy if you make it so. It’s very easy to get top-tier gear (with cosmetic stuff being harder to get), and I funded everything just by gathering while I explored and dungeoning casually.

Since you’re interested in RP, I would recommend joining either Piken Square (EU) or Tarnished Coast (NA), the unofficial RP servers. I can’t say anything for Piken Square, but I’ve been on Tarnished Coast for months and it’s a well-populated server with a lot of nice people and plenty of RP. Feel free to check out any server that catches your fancy, though- you can “guest” to play PvE content on any server in the same region as your home server. You can’t guest cross-region (from a EU server to a NA server, or vice versa), but you can transfer for free once a week by deleting all of your characters (and it works cross-region).

If you’re interested in a RP guild, or just the RP scene in general, I’ll recommend taking a look at http://www.guildwars2roleplayers.com, the GW2 RP hub. In addition, if you decide to play on Tarnished Coast, you’re free to check out my guild, Ember Solace. We’re a small social/casual guild primarily focused on creating a welcoming, affirming space for LGBTQ individuals, women, people with disabilities, and other groups at the margins. We are also incredibly newcomer-friendly and devote a lot of time to answering questions, taking people through their first dungeons, and helping them level.

I wish you the best of luck and happy gaming!

Falunel – Sylvari Elementalist | Falche Graysong – Human Mesmer | Tarnished Coast
Ember Solace [SOL] – A guild welcoming of newbies and those at the margins.
New Player Outreach Thread

(edited by Falunel.7645)

in Looking for...

Orenard.2541

Hi Falunel,

Thanks for that, what a great welcome! Your post gives me a good helping of faith that I’m going to enjoy this game a lot. I actually just submitted an app to a guild that looks perfect for me and they’re on tarnished coast too- they’re called Remnants of Hope.

Question- would it be a problem for me as a UK player to make my home on Tarnished Coast?

in Looking for...

Posted by: Falunel.7645

Falunel.7645

Hi Falunel,

Thanks for that, what a great welcome! Your post gives me a good helping of faith that I’m going to enjoy this game a lot. I actually just submitted an app to a guild that looks perfect for me and they’re on tarnished coast too- they’re called Remnants of Hope.

Question- would it be a problem for me as a UK player to make my home on Tarnished Coast?

You’re most welcome, and good luck!

As for playing on TC, you should be fine. The two issues you might come across are population and lag. Most EU players say they don’t experience lag, so you should be all right there. As for population, TC’s peak hours are NA peak hours, but from what I’ve seen, we do have a decent amount of people who play during EU hours. Overall, give it a try and see how it works out.

Falunel – Sylvari Elementalist | Falche Graysong – Human Mesmer | Tarnished Coast
Ember Solace [SOL] – A guild welcoming of newbies and those at the margins.
New Player Outreach Thread

in Looking for...

Posted by: Resurrected.4132

Resurrected.4132

Hi Orenard,

I’ve just seen your post and if you do not mind I will reply fully later today. It’s 550am here in the UK and I am just leaving for work.

I run a UK/US lead guild on the NA Ferguson’s Crossing server and have experience of playing on both EU & NA servers so I’ll give you some more information later today to help you make a choice.

in Looking for...

Orenard.2541

Hi Resurrected,

5.50am, wow! salute

Of course that’s fine- I’ll look forward to hearing from you.

And thanks to both of you for the advice re: servers.

in Looking for...

Posted by: Bry.8140

Bry.8140

Hi Orenard

If you are looking for a casual laid back and friendly guild please have a read of my recruitment post – https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/guilds/recruitment/Desolation-Froody-recruiting-PvX/first#post3454721

We are a UK based guild residing on Desolation who do regular fractal and dungeon runs as well as open world PvE and daily world bosses.

If you have any questions please ask away and I endeavour to answer them for you.

Regards

Bry/Braetakk