Insider trading is rampant...

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: ThePedroKid.2580

ThePedroKid.2580

Sorry for the extreme topic title, but it’s becoming more and more evident.

At first, I was too lazy to write this post but after reading comments by a karma food seller in a karma thread I realized just how far insider trading is beginning to go.

This individual had commented on how he knew exactly what the demand for karma food was (as he made it frequently for profit) and how much sold, then suddenly, for no apparent reason, he sold multiples of what he usually does and saw a huge demand spike on the TP. Low and behold, two days later the ‘accidental’ removal of karma boosting happens (mid-August).

My personal story is much more severe…

I was one of the few people who still made The Crossing. I made them very regularly and had become quite familiar with how they fluctuated in price and how frequently they sold. Then, a couple days before this last major patch where they suddenly could not be made anymore (and we had no public warning of) one of my older listings at a much higher price sold… I found this strange as literally THREE MINUTES before there had been seven others listed lower than mine. The Crossing DOES NOT SELL THIS FAST… ever. It is expensive and a true specialty item.

After the patch it became immediately clear to me why this happened. Someone had gotten inside information that it would a) no longer be craftable b) would be blessed with the ability to pick which stats you want on it and, the big one, c) it would not become account bound in the same way other MF stat items would. In other words, you could sell The Crossing on the TP with the ability for people to pick whatever stats they want and with ZERO new supply because it can not be made anymore!!

I guess there’s no question why someone bought up nearly a dozen of them to have an exclusive supply monopoly on them where they could charge practically any price.

Did I mention that I had stumbled into a /say convo in a hidden jumping puzzle where someone mentioned the crossing not being able to be made anymore in the next patch shortly after the TP incident? How did these people get this information!?

I feel this is coming from testing and some people who have been given privileged access to content prior to public patch notes or comments. Many of them play regularly, are in guilds, and have many friends on servers. They can talk to their friends on Mumble where Anet has no clue they may have tipped them off. They may not be in the same guild or anything so tracking the source is even more difficult.

This is a major problem. The affects can be seen in legendary issues, specialty item issues and all other aspects of the market as certain players with access to this information are becoming more and more bold with how they use it to benefit (or give to their friends to benefit).

Please Anet, get your house in order and stop the proliferation of this information. Since you can’t control it, you need to make it public immediately before it hits test servers or preview servers. You must communicate these changes before these people have an opportunity to poison the well. Unfortunately, it is the only solution.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Clark Skinner.4902

Clark Skinner.4902

I’ve seen gw2spidy graphs jump and supply bars drop before patch of items that turned out to be used in new recipes. You can check it after any big spike caused by a new use for an item. Note when the news officially broke and check the spidy graph. Supply often gets bought out.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Buttercup.5871

Buttercup.5871

This info is coming out more and more, including on reddit. I would like to know what Anet is doing about it.

In your case, which is incredibly specific and the result of in-your-face obvious advance knowledge, it would be quite easy to track the accounts of those that bought the crossing. They could check out what other stuff they bought shortly before other patches came out. If the pattern is similar, terminate the account and investigate the chat history.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

If true, the idea that someone at Arenanet is allowing (intentionally or not) a select few to make massive profits they otherwise shouldn’t be able to make is a disturbing one.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Buttercup.5871

If true, the idea that someone at Arenanet is allowing (intentionally or not) a select few to make massive profits they otherwise shouldn’t be able to make is a disturbing one.

“Allowing” is not the right word. They need testers. Everyone benefits from good testers. Just not corrupt ones. They need to clean their house.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

“Allowing” is not the right word. They need testers. Everyone benefits from good testers. Just not corrupt ones. They need to clean their house.

“Allowing” works well enough. If inside trading is happening, it’s falls to Arenanet to find a way to stop it. They have an NDA for a reason. If a tester is violating the NDA, find out who and get rid of them.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

I’m pretty sure that ArenaNet doesn’t care about this.

We, collectively, may view it as wrong, because IRL insider trading is a crime, as is pumping and dumping, and attempting to corner a commodities market (I’m not arguing this one, so don’t bother arguing with me — look it up instead).

There has been no indication that ANet cares about these other wrongs. Why would they care about this one?

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

in Black Lion Trading Co

ThePedroKid.2580

I’m hoping that the lack of any response whatsoever from Anet is an indicator of them taking their time to do some research then come back to us with a solution.

The market is broken on many items and it’s very easy to see insider trading is a massive part of it with a simple look at gw2spidy.com. The spikes before major patches on items not publicly stated as having drastic changes is shocking. There is very clearly an incredible amount of insider trading going on.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

One of my friends was one of the testers for LoL (They had a tier above the public beta) and I remember he was telling me that when somone spilled the beans on a certain top secret project, the company purged the entire group access and records to oblivion.

Just reminded me of that, I guess. In any case, I hope we get some more light on this issue.

I ? Karkas.

in Black Lion Trading Co

ThePedroKid.2580

Threat of a complete wipe of everyone who has early testing access, etc., is a great idea.

Would make it clear fast that if you spill, you ruin your fun no matter what because everyone gets purged (the don’t need to know it was you. Just that something happened). It’s a huge lose no matter what to leak at that point.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: nmoral.3876

nmoral.3876

this exists from the very begging of the game…certain alpha testers took info advantage in forging precursors based on certain weapon combination.
I was “wondering” in a recent post the same, since it is getting more obvious this information “leak”

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

This wouldn’t happen if there was a public test realm (as well as it would solve other issues).

Just sayin’…

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

in Black Lion Trading Co

ThePedroKid.2580

This wouldn’t happen if there was a public test realm (as well as it would solve other issues).

Just sayin’…

Absolutely!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

Just sayin’…

This is assuming that there is still no upper-tester tier though. As long as they have a group above the PTR, you’re still pretty much screwed. Either they need a tighter leash on their testers, or they need to give them the Crossing treatment – Removal of further availability.

I ? Karkas.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Geikamir.6329

Geikamir.6329

this exists from the very begging of the game…certain alpha testers took info advantage in forging precursors based on certain weapon combination.
I was “wondering” in a recent post the same, since it is getting more obvious this information “leak”

I’ve noticed this occurrence since the beginning as well. I mean, every beta tester that knew how legendaries worked/were made of was making tons of money because they bought everything while it was cheap, because no one else knew yet. Just imagine how much crazy amount of gold will be able to be made if you knew what the recipes of future legendaries involved.

Toons: Foreseer, Geikamir, Rapscallion, Specimen, Scythian, Zeau, Ärtifact, and Replica.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Hell Avenger.7021

Hell Avenger.7021

ya, it is pretty obvious some people do have access to information prior to the release.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

Just sayin’…

I’m still pretty skeptical on how much of this is actually insider, and how much was just lucky speculating. But I agree 100% with ^ the ^ above ^ statement. Sunlight is always the best disinfectant

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: oZii.2864

oZii.2864

Just sayin’…

What? No it wouldn’t it would make the problem worse. PTR wouldn’t stop people from making money from changes it would make them more money.

[Good Fights]Sinndicate{Ele}Sinactic{Engineer}
Sinnastor{Warrior}Sinnacle{Mesmer}Sintacs
{Thief}

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: somsom.5201

somsom.5201

Not to name names, but in my previous guild there was a co-leader who was an ex-ANet dev; he regularly gave us info/hints on upcoming changes and he wasn’t even really in the know-how much anymore.

It’s sad, but until ANet gives EVERYONE the PTR…it’s going to keep happening and a select few will be able to reap the rewards of foreknowledge.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Just sayin’…

What? No it wouldn’t it would make the problem worse. PTR wouldn’t stop people from making money from changes it would make them more money.

I think the idea is get rid of the inhouse people and announce all the changes publically for everyone at the same time on the public server. This puts everyone on an even playing field.

in Black Lion Trading Co

nmoral.3876

Even if those players represent an insignificant % of whole playing community it matters, it does matter since the vast amount of money that they hold can easily affect the tp, we witnessed a lot of examples during all this time.

I dont mean all rich players (lets say 10.000-100.00 gold range) made their fortune exploiting reserved information but Anet should target those who did, and beyond looking for culprits, it is far more important as you guys stated to set some system to avoid this problem

(edited by nmoral.3876)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

With a PTR there will be more people taking advantage of it and it’ll be a race just like it is today. Players on the regular server will wonder why the TP suddenly went all wonky because even with a PTR, the actual percentage of players checking out a prerelease will be very small.

It doesn’t solve anything, only let a few more people in on the secret.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: oZii.2864

oZii.2864

Just sayin’…

I think the idea is get rid of the inhouse people and announce all the changes publically for everyone at the same time on the public server. This puts everyone on an even playing field.

That’s more people with early access. At least inhouse people have the fear of being kicked off which is why this is all speculation that it is even occuring. If there was a PTR the situation would be worse now at least here people can point fingers at a select few and accuse if there was a PTR nobody would know who was doing what.

The people that have fingers pointed at them in this thread would be completely concealed because the player base would all point fingers at each other and not mystery people we dont even know about. Just because you have access to the PTR doesn’t give you alot of money. Anyone with a good amount of Gold and access to the PTR would be a fool to not log in to Live right away and set themselves up for success.

This doesn’t even have to be to increase the gold they have but to save what they have because they can buy all they need for cheap before the price will inevitably rise.

[Good Fights]Sinndicate{Ele}Sinactic{Engineer}
Sinnastor{Warrior}Sinnacle{Mesmer}Sintacs
{Thief}

(edited by oZii.2864)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Valdemas.4960

Valdemas.4960

The part of OP’s post where he mentioned people meeting in a JP to conspire made me laugh out loud. I would like to see some sort of “Beta patch notes” where they list changes. Those may or may not make it into the game, but will give everyone equal footing.

Vinita Rush, ZDs Officer

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: bri.2359

bri.2359

@OP
I am sure your case is not unique. In fact, I would be more surprised to discover there was no insider knowledge/trading going on.

Furthermore, I am equally as sure Anet knows very well this has been going on since game launch and does nothing about it, and, either by design or default, encouraging it to continue.

Lvl 80’s: Ranger; Guardian; Mesmer; Necromancer; Thief
Gandara Megaserver

in Black Lion Trading Co

Aberrant.6749

Just sayin’…

It would be public knowledge then Vs. just a few select insider players getting rich off of it. Everyone would have a fair chance at seeing/learning about the upcoming changes.

Tarnished Coast

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

I have a better idea

Balance TP trading so it gives similar rewards to dungeons, open world, WWW and stuff like that.

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

Whats the weather like in Conspiracy Theory Land?

Death and Taxes [DnT]
http://www.twitch.tv/nike_dnt
DnT is Recruiting – http://www.dtguilds.com/

in Black Lion Trading Co

Hell Avenger.7021

If the real world financial market has insider trading, this game definitely will have it. Since there is zero punishment and lack of oversight to control for this type of information being given out.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Teege.4623

Teege.4623

So that’s what Edward Snowden has been up to. Huh, well glad to see he’s doing okay.

“We just don’t want players to grind in Guild Wars 2.” -Colin Johanson
Don’t support the Gem Shop, it’s that easy.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

If the real world financial market has insider trading, this game definitely will have it. Since there is zero punishment and lack of oversight to control for this type of information being given out.

You know what it’s called when people allege a vast conspiracy and their only evidence is conjecture, circular logic and reductive reasoning?

Death and Taxes [DnT]

in Black Lion Trading Co

nmoral.3876

You know what it’s called when people allege a vast conspiracy and their only evidence is conjecture, circular logic and reductive reasoning?

if you think this is not happening you must be truly naive or blind

By the way even Anet at certain point said in public that some players abusing restricted info were going to be punished, a statement i dont hear since the first months of the game but i dont doubt it is still happening, like in almost all games online i know

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Mourningcry.9428

Mourningcry.9428

if you think this is not happening you must be truly naive or blind

By the way even Anet at certain point said in public that some players abusing restricted info were going to be punished, a statement i dont hear since the first months of the game but i dont doubt it is still happening, like in almost all games online i know

Unfortunately, Nike has a point.

Without the transactional data which only ANet has access to, there’s very little outside of circumstantial evidence we can offer. As obvious, and as blatant, as it may appear.

Also, unforutnately, the damage these transactions do isn’t easily reversed.

However, I personally would get some solace from a public listing of the violators, as opposed to the silent judgement the ban hammer usually delivers.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Helenorz.2547

Helenorz.2547

well, at least we do know with some new updates, some players seems to get early access/preview for testing/feedback. I seem to recall Dulfy sharing previews of certain updates, and she can’t be the only one.

so, if some people are able to see certain contents ahead of time, what’s stopping them from sharing info as is?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Geikamir.6329

Geikamir.6329

Claiming that it doesn’t happen with incomplete knowledge is just as bad as claiming that it does happen with incomplete knowledge.

Toons: Foreseer, Geikamir, Rapscallion, Specimen, Scythian, Zeau, Ärtifact, and Replica.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

Claiming that it doesn’t happen with incomplete knowledge is just as bad as claiming that it does happen with incomplete knowledge.

Actually, the default position on any claim is the skeptic. The burden of proof lies with the person making the claim. I made no claim that it isn’t happening, for all I know it might be happening. But pointing out the lack of evidence in another’s argument does not, necessarily, imply an endorsement of the opposite position. Understand the difference?

But I didnt see any evidence offered by the OP or any of the other parrots in the replies, so it was pretty clear that once again we were trapped in a conspiracy theory thread made by someone whose creativity is a bit bigger than his reasoning ability.

Death and Taxes [DnT]

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Feed Me Change.6528

Feed Me Change.6528

One of my friends was one of the testers for LoL (They had a tier above the public beta) and I remember he was telling me that when somone spilled the beans on a certain top secret project, the company purged the entire group access and records to oblivion.

Just reminded me of that, I guess. In any case, I hope we get some more light on this issue.

They are all contractually bound by an NDA (almost 100% of companies that have alpha/beta testers use these), they can boot you for anything. If someone is leaking information you can report it to ANet and they’ll take care of it.

Also, I heard it’s Vol. he is too rich to not be an inside trader!!!

NSP>ET>SoS>BG>ET>SoS>JQ>SoS>Mag>JQ
My fun laughs at your server pride.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

Actually, the default position on any claim is the skeptic. The burden of proof lies with the person making the claim. I made no claim that it isn’t happening, for all I know it might be happening. But pointing out the lack of evidence in another’s argument does not, necessarily, imply an endorsement of the opposite position. Understand the difference?

But I didnt see any evidence offered by the OP or any of the other parrots in the replies, so it was pretty clear that once again we were trapped in a conspiracy theory thread made by someone whose creativity is a bit bigger than his reasoning ability.

Burden of Proof … lol, obviously you are a lawyer wannabe. Buddy real world investing or human behavior don’t always follow your rule book. Stuffs you learn in school is important, but please do not assume the world work in that naive simple case.

You want an easy way to spot real world insider trading? VERY EASY, check out the price of certain stock prior to M&A announcement, almost in all cases the price creep up a little.

Stock price naturally goes up and down, even when there is no material information readily available.

Just cause the price changed in one direction just before a major announcement doesn’t mean it was insider trading.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

in Black Lion Trading Co

Vol.5241

They are all contractually bound by an NDA (almost 100% of companies that have alpha/beta testers use these), they can boot you for anything. If someone is leaking information you can report it to ANet and they’ll take care of it.

If I were an inside trader I would probably buy those mats en masse and be richer than the 4GK peak in assets I had.

Then again, I’m massing on gossamer/orbs like never before. Maybe I DO know something :S

[Permabanned on Forums]

in Black Lion Trading Co

Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

Burden of Proof … lol, obviously you are a lawyer wannabe. Buddy real world investing or human behavior don’t always follow your rule book. Stuffs you learn in school is important, but please do not assume the world work in that naive simple case.

You want an easy way to spot real world insider trading? VERY EASY, check out the price of certain stock prior to M&A announcement, almost in all cases the price creep up a little.

And yet, everything I said was correct and your response didn’t address anything I said.

Death and Taxes [DnT]

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

(…)Maybe I DO know something :S

Clever, lol

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

in Black Lion Trading Co

Feed Me Change.6528

If I were an inside trader I would probably buy those mats en masse and be richer than the 4GK peak in assets I had.

Then again, I’m massing on gossamer/orbs like never before. Maybe I DO know something :S

That does it folks, wrap up this case. We found him.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Aberrant.6749

Oy! Quit making the prices of things that I’m stocking up on as well increase by telling the forums >:O

Thankfully you didn’t say anything about the other tiers of cloth/jems.

Tarnished Coast

in Black Lion Trading Co

Vol.5241

Oy! Quit making the prices of things that I’m stocking up on as well increase by telling the forums >:O

Thankfully you didn’t say anything about the other tiers of cloth/jems.

You mean stuff like scraps, crystals, and t6 leather? I would stock on those two but it’s not worth the bank space :|

I really should buy a 2nd account and use the TP as storage..

[Permabanned on Forums]

in Black Lion Trading Co

Hell Avenger.7021

Stock price naturally goes up and down, even when there is no material information readily available.

Just cause the price changed in one direction just before a major announcement doesn’t mean it was insider trading.

buddy, I dont want to argue with you. However, there is a very obvious correlation between announcement and prior day trading. Some prop trader even used as way to bet on possible M&A. My finance professors and industry practitioners all agreed on it. Btw I am already working in the field, and not a student spewing theories.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Hell Avenger.7021

And yet, everything I said was correct and your response didn’t address anything I said.

Hilarious! All you really said is basically: “I don’t know anything, you cannot prove anything. Therefore, there is nothing.” A typical knee jerk response from a lawyer wannabe.

We are talking things that are more similar to the markets than court cases. If we need advices on the legal ramification of a deal, we will talk to you else be gone, because your “expertise” is useless.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Vol.5241

buddy, I dont want to argue with you. However, there is a very obvious correlation between announcement and prior day trading. Some prop trader even used as way to bet on possible M&A. My finance professors and industry practitioners all agreed on it. Btw I am already working in the field, and not a student spewing theories.

And so then that wasn’t insider trading. It was just some trader speculating that there would be a M & A.

You may work in that field and obviously know more than I do but making blanket statements that say a rise in share price before any positive announcement is a sign of inside trading isn’t convincing. It could be, but not always. If it were always the case I would feel sorry for the folks at the SEC.

[Permabanned on Forums]

in Black Lion Trading Co

Hell Avenger.7021

And so then that wasn’t insider trading. It was just some trader speculating that there would be a M & A.

You may work in that field and obviously know more than I do but making blanket statements that say a rise in share price before any positive announcement is a sign of inside trading isn’t convincing. It could be, but not always. If it were always the case I would feel sorry for the folks at the SEC.

No, the trader acted on the price movement the day prior to the announcement. They are not the one initiated the price movement.

Actually, you should feel sorry for the SEC folks. They have been criticized for not doing enough for a long time. They seem to step it up a little after financial crisis.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Buttercup.5871

What the heck is wrong with some folks here? Ya’all look at spidy as the end all be all as “evidence” for all kinds of junk, yet when it comes to an extremely obscure item like the crossing, which jumps up in price the day before the patch, poof, from 160g to 200g, higher than ever before for no reason anyone could even remotely speculate on in advance, and you don’t include/consider this data as part of your discussion?

C’mon. It was inside trading. Don’t beat around the bush. I’m glad the OP brought it up, because there’s only a few people in this game that will have been involved on this market. I could think of no ill motive on the OP’s part to bring this up, either. Due to the obscurity of this item, a thread like this is neigh irrelevant to the prices on this market.

Purge this game of inside traders. Terminate their accounts and the accounts of their inside trader buddies. Use a blunt pitchfork to delete every item in their inventory, one by one, preferrably while they’re watching.

(edited by Buttercup.5871)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Feed Me Change.6528

I’m waiting for the screenshot of this “secret JP convo”. Why would it be in a public space and not through whispers?

“They can talk to their friends on Mumble where Anet has no clue they may have tipped them off. They may not be in the same guild or anything so tracking the source is even more difficult.”

As I stated before, any testers for any software company sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-disclosure_agreement

Breaking this gets them kicked out or even some times legal action.

Companies are always looking for leaks so if you come across someone leaking information — you should contact Arena Net.

(edited by Feed Me Change.6528)