New insignias: what for?

in Crafting

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

So, this patch introduced the “Prime Ineffable Insignia” and the “Protean Ineffable Insignia”

Now, because these use a lot of gossamer, does anyone know what they actually get used in? Apparently, it’s for level 68 and 65 gear respectively, which makes me wonder why it requires T6 cloth and dust.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

in Crafting

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Propably for the new rare gear that can be crafted while leveling.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

in Crafting

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

O.o is it even possible to get gossamer below level 80? much less enough to make anything?

in Crafting

Wanze.8410

O.o is it even possible to get gossamer below level 80? much less enough to make anything?

Those items are meant for people that level alts, so it gets easier to level them, i quote from the blog post:

These items are intended for the up-and-coming heroes of Tyria. As such, they extend up to an exotic level of rarity, but they are all exclusively under level 80. You may find that early explorations of Tyria are easier the second, third, or twenty-third time around with some of this gear.
The recipes for these items are meant for advanced crafters
, but we’ve also added versions of the weapons to monster hauls across Tyria that come with a few stat combos intended for characters who are still leveling. If you find one you like that doesn’t work for the character you’re on, you can always store it away for another character on your account. Happy hunting!

in Crafting

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

The items themselves also require ectos from what I hear (20 ectos even), which you can’t get from salvaging anything below level 68. And the items themselves are below that (or right at that). If you already have gear you can salvage for 20 ectos, why would you even need to craft something at the same level?

These items make no sense from any perspective, at least the crafting aspect. Only for loot.

in Crafting

Posted by: Padreviejo.6283

Padreviejo.6283

I just made a set of level 68 light armor for an alt with these. It took a lot of ectos. About 120 of them. That’s like 50 gold if you buy them from the trader. Then you have to use Gossamer items, and 30 piles of crystaline dust. I had the mats and wasn’t doing anything else with them, but I think that one set of armor would have set me back at least 65 gold total.

I did it. Doesn’t mean I feel particularly smart about it. I just did it to see, and now you know what the costs are. My opinion is that these are a lot of gold for not a lot of use. From 68 you can be to 80 in a short time using boosts and crafting discovery, and buy a whole set of Exotics from the trader for a lot less.

I don’t see a whole lot of people making these, unless they plan on rolling a whole bunch of characters that use the same armor type.

in Crafting

Posted by: thefantasticg.3984

thefantasticg.3984

I just made a set of level 68 light armor for an alt with these. It took a lot of ectos. About 120 of them. That’s like 50 gold if you buy them from the trader. Then you have to use Gossamer items, and 30 piles of crystaline dust. I had the mats and wasn’t doing anything else with them, but I think that one set of armor would have set me back at least 65 gold total.

If that’s the case… One would have to be EXTREMELY stupid to waste those resources on that kind of gear.

RNG is a bell curve. Better hope you’re on the right side.

in Crafting

Posted by: Mervinas.9482

Mervinas.9482

Reading all this I feel really cheated with this nonsense-insignias. I saw new type of thing to craft and tried it to see what I would get. If developers put such expensive new stuff with particular purpose then they have to add clear description to it – what is it for. Now a lot of resources wasted … for nothing!

in Crafting

Posted by: azzy.6485

azzy.6485

I did it. Doesn’t mean I feel particularly smart about it. I just did it to see, and now you know what the costs are. My opinion is that these are a lot of gold for not a lot of use. From 68 you can be to 80 in a short time using boosts and crafting discovery, and buy a whole set of Exotics from the trader for a lot less.

I don’t see a whole lot of people making these, unless they plan on rolling a whole bunch of characters that use the same armor type.

120 ecto’s for 6 pieces? what else in the crafting process takes ecto’s? The insignia take 5 each (so 30 ecto)… why are another 90 required? Unless you made 4 sets of gear…

in Crafting

Padreviejo.6283

120 ecto’s for 6 pieces? what else in the crafting process takes ecto’s? The insignia take 5 each (so 30 ecto)… why are another 90 required? Unless you made 4 sets of gear…

the chest, legs, and helm take 20 ectos each, gloves, boots, and pauldrons 10 each. Like I said, I don’t feel particularly smart for doing this. It IS a HUGE waste of resources. Now that I’ve done it, and it looks like a couple others have, watch a-net go … woops we messed up. I just hope when they do I get a bunch of ectos showing up in my mailbag :-)

(edited by Padreviejo.6283)

in Crafting

Wanze.8410

the chest, legs, and helm take 20 ectos each, gloves, boots, and pauldrons 10 each. Like I said, I don’t feel particularly smart for doing this. It IS a HUGE waste of resources. Now that I’ve done it, and it looks like a couple others have, watch a-net go … woops we messed up. I just hope when they do I get a bunch of ectos showing up in my mailbag :-)

They didnt mess up, you did.

They talked about this in the blog posts.
Those crafted armor and weapons as well as the backpacks are intended to veteran players (425 crafting proficiency) that level their alts. These items have higher stats thats comparable on level gear and they have selectable stats. I also think they stay account bound after use, so you can use them for more alts, if you wish, but i am not 100% sure about the account bound statement.

in Crafting

Posted by: azzy.6485

azzy.6485

ouch…yeah I just experimented with a level 18 staff recipe :
1 ecto for the inscription and TEN ecto to actually make the staff! WHAT?!?!? I get that it is selectable stats and account bound…but really?

It should of been ONE set of weapons and armor that SCALED as you level from 18-79 – then maybe it would of been worth it. The current cost to craft is laughable, making it pretty much worthless to even think about.

(edited by azzy.6485)

in Crafting

Posted by: Mervinas.9482

Mervinas.9482

So everyone has to read blog post before playing patched game? It’s their fault not to give clear hints IN GAME. Like something in the description of new insignia or whatever. I was crafting new item thinking “oh it would give selectable stats, that’s interesting”, expecting something new, and.. .getting item with same stats as my rare item and losing ridiculous amount of ectos. In the end I had to salvage this with black lion salvage kit. I’m not proud of being dumb, really. But I think developers did not enough to safeguard players from such mistakes.

in Crafting

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

So everyone has to read blog post before playing patched game? It’s their fault not to give clear hints IN GAME. Like something in the description of new insignia or whatever. I was crafting new item thinking “oh it would give selectable stats, that’s interesting”, expecting something new, and.. .getting item with same stats as my rare item and losing ridiculous amount of ectos. In the end I had to salvage this with black lion salvage kit. I’m not proud of being dumb, really. But I think developers did not enough to safeguard players from such mistakes.

Why do you think ARenanet goes through the trouble of writing these blogpost? So people can read it and be informed.

Ignorance is not an excuse for making a costly mistake.

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

in Crafting

Posted by: fictitiousacct.1782

fictitiousacct.1782

Even if the equipment was account bound and slightly higher stats than normal, it would not be worthwhile to even craft at the current cost. It’s not like it’s gear that levels up with you, it’s gear that goes obsolete after you reach certain levels, which for veteran players it can be in an hour or two of game play. If it truly is intended for veterans, it should be more reasonably priced for the set so it actually gets used.

in Crafting

Wanze.8410

Even if the equipment was account bound and slightly higher stats than normal, it would not be worthwhile to even craft at the current cost. It’s not like it’s gear that levels up with you, it’s gear that goes obsolete after you reach certain levels, which for veteran players it can be in an hour or two of game play. If it truly is intended for veterans, it should be more reasonably priced for the set so it actually gets used.

Well, dont craft it then. Whats your problem?

in Crafting

Padreviejo.6283

It should of been ONE set of weapons and armor that SCALED as you level from 18-79 – then maybe it would of been worth it. The current cost to craft is laughable, making it pretty much worthless to even think about.

agree. Other MMOs have gear like this that you have to grind for, but it stays account bound and scales. No selectable stats though.

in Crafting

Posted by: Sokia.3710

Sokia.3710

It should of been ONE set of weapons and armor that SCALED as you level from 18-79 – then maybe it would of been worth it.

Exactly. In the time that it takes you to farm the materials/gold to make that stuff, you could have leveled from 65 to 80 using experience boosters and killing random mobs, and made money in the process rather than spending it.