Graveling Scavengers are OP.

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Jasher.6580

Jasher.6580

I’m convinced that whoever came up with the idea of Graveling Scavengers is a bad bad person and they should feel bad about themselves. I’m also convinced that it’s the same person who came up with the idea of jump puzzles.

IF they are two different people, they are both kindred souls and they are both evil.

Posted by: spreadsheets.9805

spreadsheets.9805

Their jump is VERY telegraphed and easy to dodge.
Champion Scavengers are a bit of a pain, because you can’t always interrupt their channeling attack.

Jasher.6580

Champion Scavengers are a bit of a pain, because you can’t always interrupt their channeling attack.

Yes, but what about when there is two of them… and you dodge one only to have the other jump on you right after…

Posted by: Hobocop.1508

Hobocop.1508

Then….dodge both? You are in possession of two consecutive dodges, correct?

spreadsheets.9805

Yes, but what about when there is two of them… and you dodge one only to have the other jump on you right after…

Stunbreakers. To be fair, I just pull the groups while I’m in range of all the Scavengers. That way, they all do their jump at the same time. If you add a group, that’s tough luck. But then again, unexpected situations are what you keep oh-kitten-buttons in your build for.

edit: Scavengers really shouldn’t be getting a second jump off. If your group doesn’t kill them before that, something is going wrong.

Jasher.6580

And if you dodges something else before? And then dodged the first… Oh wait, you’re saying that to be condescending. Because I’m a “bad player”…

Posted by: Hobocop.1508

Hobocop.1508

Then…you have stun breaks and CC to fall back on. Or maybe a simple jump skill that allows you to hop out of range.

Posted by: Day.4501

Day.4501

And if you dodges something else before? And then dodged the first… Oh wait, you’re saying that to be condescending. Because I’m a “bad player”…

Sorry, but all signs are pointing towards that.

Posted by: Jay.3284

Jay.3284

-Dodge
-Stun Breaker
-Don’t run into them chewing into the air

Pretty simple stuff

Dungeon Master 8/8 | Fractal 50
80Rng – 80Wa – 80Thief – 80Grd – 80Ele – 80Engi – 80Necro

Posted by: zencow.3651

zencow.3651

The three species of gravelings each only have one ‘special attack’ and otherwise just auto attacks.

The graveling species are:
Howler – Inconsequential buffs
Breeder – Channelled spew of hatchlings
Hatchling – Bleeding autoattacks, low HP, even if one manages to down you, you can probably hit the same one who downed you for a rally. Good practice for TA’s blossoms.
Scavenger – Leap of death, obvious 2 second charge up.
Graveling (adult) – Imitates scavenger’s leap but does not knockdown

Basically only the scavenger’s leap is worth dodging. Note that the scavengers have unique orange stripes, making their presence and intents easily visible from the other types. If you’re wasting endurance on other stuff you’re doing it wrong.

Quasi-elitist dungeoneer and missing Gw1 GvGs greatly.
“GW2’s PvE is almost as bad as the PvP.”

spreadsheets.9805

Howlers do both a buff and a cone AoE launch.
Breeders can spawn hatchlings and do an evading hit.
You also missed Stalkers, which do evading hard hits.

Posted by: Milennin.4825

Milennin.4825

Dodge, stun break, stability. Otherwise make sure you run a decent party that bothers ressing downed people.

Just who the hell do you think I am!?

Posted by: zencow.3651

zencow.3651

Oh when they burrow into the ground? Yeah kinda forgot about those since they are so easy to just backpedal from. I think the stalker’s popping out of burrows does AoE launch, not the howler’s but not too sure. Can’t believe I don’t remember all of their skills after a gazillion runs

Quasi-elitist dungeoneer and missing Gw1 GvGs greatly.
“GW2’s PvE is almost as bad as the PvP.”

spreadsheets.9805

I am really sure it’s not the Stalkers popping out of burrows. Have been launched in places without burrows multiple times already.

Posted by: Humposaurus.5764

Humposaurus.5764

They are easy to dodge, but once they get you, you’ll be dead. They always spam knock you down, I think its their default attack lol.

Also I got knocked into some stairs by one lol. Couldn’t get out and had to TP back to free myself xDDDD

Posted by: Lindriss.7801

Lindriss.7801

I always have a Stun Breaker/Stability Utility Skill for AC because of Scavengers. That way, if I miss or unable to dodge a Scavenger, use it and back off while they are munching on air.

Posted by: swiftpaw.6397

swiftpaw.6397

Tip for you- probably mentioned above: Stability, Teleport skill, stun breaker, Aegis.
Don’t worry, AC get’s easier the more you do it.

Grandmaster Forum Mind Brain
|-Swiftpaw Sharpclaw [DnT]-|

Posted by: emtwo.4058

emtwo.4058

Just makes sure you have one or two stun breakers equipped for the fights with scavengers. Pretty easy.

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

Actually it can’t be dodged. They’ll knock you down mid-air. You can only try to dodge/run backwards out of its (350m?) range. And if you put up a ward or bubble between you or Immob them right before they do it… the activation still takes place and their “Attack” just gets magically summoned wherever you’re standing if you’re still in range and will kill you instantly if you can’t move any further back. It’s pretty hilarious.

Posted by: Heliox.8632

Heliox.8632

Actually it can’t be dodged. They’ll knock you down mid-air. You can only try to Dodged backwards out of its (350m?) range. And if you put up a ward or bubble between you or Immob them right before they do it… the activation still takes place and their “Attack” just gets magically summoned wherever you’re standing if you’re still in range and will kill you instantly if you can’t move any further back. It’s pretty hilarious.

Been dodging it everyday, not sure if you’re timing your dodge right but it is “evade-able”. The only problem with them is that their knockdown radius is incredibly larger than their sprite/pixel.

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

Warrior, 30 def, 30 tactics, full on pow, toughness and vit (2K power, 2.2K toughness, 2K vit)… just the thought of this lizard gives me the shivers

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

Been dodging it everyday, not sure if you’re timing your dodge right but it is “evade-able”. The only problem with them is that their knockdown radius is incredibly larger than their sprite/pixel.

Which again… underlines the fact that it can’t simply be “dodged”, read: EVADED. The definition of a Dodge is to evade an Attack. Your definition in this case is to LEAVE THE EXACT AREA OF THE ATTACK fast enough that the lag-monster can’t reach you. …which is more like a “Blink” if we have to use lol-terms.

Also: Sprite-Pixel is for Particle Effects, not Model Animations (and very poorly Kinimatized ones at that!). If you’re claiming to have programming experience here then you should probably brush on these terms a little better.

(edited by ilr.9675)

Posted by: Kamahl.3621

Kamahl.3621

Stun. Break. Hurr. The only one that’s a true threat once you’re pinned is the champion one at the north within AC, as you can’t knock him off every time with a stun (Unshakable). The others, if your teammates are coordinates, well – I’m an engineer, and I solve problems. I push 4 with my rifle and there’s no longer a pinned player.

Posted by: Varl.3269

Varl.3269

These guys are fair and any player with experience will be able to find a way to avoid/live through the attack. The problem I have with these guys are they’re position in the lowest level dungeon, the entry level dungeon for most players. These guys alone make this dungeon harder than some of the higher level places.

Posted by: mbelcikuwh.1379

mbelcikuwh.1379

dodging the leap attacks were like a walk in the park…but after that,we can’t even get near them until their animation stops or we interupt them..even from their backs…

for that’s the most disturbing and i loathe it so much…imagine,you try to get close to them while they chomp at nothing from the BACK of them,and then suddenly you got knockdown and still get a hit out of it…

from the front that’s very understandable,but from their back?come on ANet,..sure we can switch to range weapons,but that is not the point,unless of course that was intended…

it was like fighting a warrior with HB and a thief sneaking up on him to try to get a backstab and died because the HB can actually hit anything at a 360 angle

honestly i’d rather fight lupicus 10 times than have to meet those leaping lizards on the way

Posted by: Heliox.8632

Heliox.8632

Which again… underlines the fact that it can’t simply be “dodged”, read: EVADED. The definition of a Dodge is to evade an Attack. Your definition in this case is to LEAVE THE EXACT AREA OF THE ATTACK fast enough that the lag-monster can’t reach you. …which is more like a “Blink” if we have to use lol-terms.

Also: Sprite-Pixel is for Particle Effects, not Model Animations (and very poorly Kinimatized ones at that!). If you’re claiming to have programming experience here then you should probably brush on these terms a little better.

Sorry but I can run right through every scavenger in the whole dungeon with proper timing dodge roll along with everyone I’ve taught how to properly time their dodge to avoid getting hit by the jump+knockdown attack. If you want a video of me doing scavenger dodges all day I’ll be glad to record it just for you.

I do not claim to have a programming background but if you want to be “purely” technical and nitpick on my terminology, then yes what I stated may not be accurate. What I do refer to however is the fact that even if you are not “physically” touching the model of the scavenger attacking or even remotely close to it, it will still hit you while it is using the channelled “nomnomnom” attack that knocks everyone and kills anyone w/o a stunbreaker/stability.

Posted by: chuiu.4985

chuiu.4985

While the scavengers are the only graveling that actually hurts, they aren’t a problem. Their attacks are dodgeable and once knocked down you can also use a stun breaker and roll away from them.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

The one thing that surprised me about the Scavengers is that the after-KD munching is AoE. I found this out by trying to revive someone who was in it. That part is not obvious.

Posted by: Auesis.7301

Auesis.7301

They’re fine. The only problem with them is that the chewing animation has such a bad hit-box that I take damage from it a few metres away with no chance of physical contact.

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief