"The intention is to deincentivize dungeons"

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Belorn.2659

Belorn.2659

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/hot/Economy-Questions-Repost/first#post5602939 / https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3ogusa/the_guild_wars_2_heart_of_thorns_economy/cvxdpi6

I understand why they do this, but they are intentionally creating a ghost town out of old content. Would it not make more sense to dismantle unsupported content and reuse them in either fractals or living story?

(edited by Belorn.2659)

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

Funny considering Fractals is not getting new content. Actually they want you to be doing raids… by buying the expansion.

They are making the base game garbage to discourage people from holding out. I feel that that is a much better tactic than providing content people want to play to incentivize them to buy… oh wait nope I don’t.

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

Posted by: notabot.3497

notabot.3497

I enjoy dungeons, I HATE fractals. Hated them from day one, can’t stand to do them. Living story season one was pretty fun, even though it was temporary content. LS2 was so boring and stupid I couldn’t get through it. I don’t see how you can salvage dungeons for LS content either way. The supported content judging by drytop, SW, the tail end of the scarlet story, and what i’ve played on beta weekends seems that they are supporting mindless zerg maps and people pressing 1 and occasionally dodging big bright orange AoE rings. Raids IDK about, but if they aren’t awesome, and I have little reason to believe they will be, will be a pain to get 10 people who don’t wear their pants on their head to be able to competently run the content.

I get that they want people to play their new stuff, but shouldn’t the content be good enough that you don’t have to use gold bribes to do it? As it is, the SW is just a giant gold farm with the content being stale 1 week after launch. At least it was a challenge for groups to figure out how to run dungeons (even though its trivial now that all the tricks have been figured out).

Posted by: BoogerSammich.7189

BoogerSammich.7189

Creating, developing and supporting content requires resources.
Resources are finite.
GW2 already does more to support and maintain relevance on old content than any other mmo i’ve played.
This sounds like a necessary sacrifice.
Unless of course we are all willing to start paying a sub so that we can support the extra staff required to maintain old content indefinitely. No? Yeah, i didn’t think so…

For a bit of perspective, ponder the following;
“Other” mmo’s already charge subscription fees and yet still simply leave old content to rot AS SOON as the new content drops.
I’d say our devs are working pretty kitten hard to allow us to keep as much of our cake as possible while eating it too…

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

Well I gave a few minutes of my time and spoke my mind, but I doubt it will be cared about by him.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3ogusa/the_guild_wars_2_heart_of_thorns_economy/cvxhw1w

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

Resources are finite.
GW2 already does more to support and maintain relevance on old content than any other mmo i’ve played.
This sounds like a necessary sacrifice.
Unless of course we are all willing to start paying a sub so that we can support the extra staff required to maintain old content indefinitely. No? Yeah, i didn’t think so…

For a bit of perspective, ponder the following;
“Other” mmo’s already charge subscription fees and yet still simply leave old content to rot AS SOON as the new content drops.
I’d say our devs are working pretty kitten hard to allow us to keep as much of our cake as possible while eating it too…

Really? because it seems to me Anet has been great at putting resources into content that is TEMPORARY and never to be seen again.

LS is a joke. They could be putting those dev resources into permanent content, but nope. Also they’re canning the old Borderlands WvW map… because reasons?

explain to me how that is a good use of resources.

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

Posted by: Elomite.2396

Elomite.2396

@boogersammich Other mmo’s have alot more content that they couldn’t possibly support, gw2 on the other hand has open world, fractals, dungeons and pvp. The last major content update for any of those was almost a year ago when they added silverwastes. This game really does not have much content compared to most mmos yet they keep overhauling things like traits, QoL updates like the wallet and fluff.

Posted by: BoogerSammich.7189

BoogerSammich.7189

Really? because it seems to me Anet has been great at putting resources into content that is TEMPORARY and never to be seen again.

LS is a joke. They could be putting those dev resources into permanent content, but nope. Also they’re canning the old Borderlands WvW map… because reasons?

explain to me how that is a good use of resources.

-“LS is a joke”
Ok, so this is definitely a subjective statement. The entire concept behind the “Living Story/Living World” drives the transient nature of this content. More importantly, these concepts are CORE to Anet’s strategy for GW2 and have been clearly outlined since well before launch. I would even say that the very ideas expressed in these CORE game concepts are what excited many people into trying the game in the first place. Personal opinion about the “quality” of this content is irrelevant.

-“They could be putting those dev resources into permanent content”
They ARE putting dev resources into permanent content: Raids, Fractals, Zones (several given to us THROUGH the LS content) oh and everything else that comes with a brand spanking new expac…

-“explain to me how that is a good use of resources.”
I feel like answering this would be redundant at this point.

As a side note, i am not trying to start a debate here. just offering a different point of view

Posted by: Kodiak.3281

Kodiak.3281

So this is what they meant by destroy the Berserker Meta. Make it so the content that Berserker excels at isn’t run anymore in favor of much more rewarding content that requires different gear.

I like the elegance of this solution.

Kodiak X – Blackgate

Posted by: Simzani.4318

Simzani.4318

They say that they focus on fractals, but the changes on them is only easy done fluff stuff. A real work on fractal would be to double or triple their numbers, they were cretaed this way because it could have been easy to make many more . Instead, as usual, they create a half broken system and let it down because it demand work to fix or upgrade. Lazy way since lauch is arenanet’s strandard.

Posted by: Sigfodr.9576

Sigfodr.9576

So this is what they meant by destroy the Berserker Meta. Make it so the content that Berserker excels at isn’t run anymore in favor of much more rewarding content that requires different gear.

I like the elegance of this solution.

I think I have missed out on content, where is this content where DPS-gear dont excel?
Open world PvE.. nope
Fractals.. Nope
Raids (from what we have seen so far).. Nope
PvP.. Nope
WvW.. YES.. But I already play this

So what have I missed?

Posted by: Eight Samurai.6840

Eight Samurai.6840

Q.
why are you nerfing the income of players who prefer your old content over your new content? I for one don’t care much for raids but really enjoy dungeons..

A.
We don’t intend to nerf income, just shift where most players derive their income. You won’t be forced into raids in order to earn value though.

Players who enjoy playing dungeons will have either lower income or will have to play content they do not enjoy as much in order to maintain their existing level of income.

The only way you can accurately claim that you did not intend to nerf their income is to state that you intended to reduce their enjoyment of the game instead.

Edit for clarification: I did not mean you personally, but rather the collective of those who made the decision.

This is called false dilemma. I think you should probably restate this.

Is the intention to deincentivize dungeons

Is the intention to reduce targeted liquid gold earning, or are you putting that liquid somewhere else thats targetable?

What type of instanced content do you see offering marketable rewards that players can take part in on a regular basis?

do you see players seeking to earn main methods being through open world and tp trading

Is the intention to deincentivize dungeons
Yes

Is the intention to reduce targeted liquid gold earning, or are you putting that liquid somewhere else thats targetable?
The intention is not entirely to reduce liquid gold earning, we’ll be using up the slack we generate in other locations

What type of instanced content do you see offering marketable rewards that players can take part in on a regular basis?
Fractals

do you see players seeking to earn main methods being through open world and tp trading
I don’t understand this one

Straight from the horses mouth, we have a a dev telling us that he wants to discourage the use of dungeon runs. I think it’s time to just rename this the Fractal and Raids forum.

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

Their confidence in the new HoT content is worrisome. Kind of sad that they have to do this in order to ensure people will choose the new content over the old.

edit
I’m not too sure I still believe what I wrote here. I think anet might be trying to avoid the inevitable case where people play the most rewarding content. By nerfing the dungeon rewards it helps to prevent people from choosing the more rewarding dungeons over the new potentially less rewarding content. If that’s not the case and fractals etc will be as(or more rewarding) than the dungeons, I keep my first opinion.

(edited by Fernling.1729)

Posted by: Vox Hollow.2736

Vox Hollow.2736

I have got to give this guy some credit.

He’s got a clear idea of what he’s after.
He announced it, immediately followed it up with a Q&A, and has so far answered questions in a straightforward way. However you may feel about the change itself, this is actually pretty solid community interaction.

(edited by Vox Hollow.2736)

Eight Samurai.6840

He announced it, immediately followed it up with a Q&A, and has so far answered questions in a straightforward way. However you may feel about the change itself, this is actually pretty solid community interaction.

Anet has been bombarded for 3 years about dungeons and their lack of development which pretty much shows the community WANTS dungeons. Sure, John is telling us straight up he doesn’t want us playing dungeons. Yep great he’s communicating, woohooo! Except instead of communicating which involves listening, Anet pretty much through an F-you to all dungeoners. We are telling anet what we want, they are afraid that their fractals and raids won’t be as fun as dungeons, so they are clearly telling us that they will force us not to play dungeons by removing rewards.

Posted by: Iozeph.5617

Iozeph.5617

It’s bait and switch. They roll out Heart of Thorns, telling the world how grand it is that the base game is now free -and then in the same breath they make the base game worthless.

Way to be.

Posted by: Windsagio.1340

Windsagio.1340

Their confidence in the new HoT content is worrisome. Kind of sad that they have to do this in order to ensure people will choose the new content over the old.

It was broken. You guys should be glad you got to ride the gravy train as long as you did.

Posted by: Mitch.4781

Mitch.4781

However you may feel about the change itself, this is actually pretty solid community interaction.

But it’s not a solid answer. The question is WHY do this? If Dungeons were infact, very popular, why try to force players to other parts of the game? Whn not actually put resources into new dungeons. So much for “play your way”.

The “community interaction” you speak of is basically:

We are doing this, just cos…..

Posted by: Iozeph.5617

Iozeph.5617

Windsagio.1340

It was broken. You guys should be glad you got to ride the gravy train as long as you did.

Is that the speech this rotation of devs is going to be given after being made into scapegoats and handed their walking papers?

Eight Samurai.6840

However you may feel about the change itself, this is actually pretty solid community interaction.

But it’s not a solid answer. The question is WHY do this? If Dungeons were infact, very popular, why try to force players to other parts of the game? Whn not actually put resources into new dungeons. So much for “play your way”.

BINGO! And if the dev, John Smith was smart enough he would have explained why.

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

We’re all frustrated with this announcement, but you’re doing yourself a disservice by making really ignorant claims like this.

He’s doing his job. Consider the possibility that maybe he’d put himself in jeopardy by disclosing information that he’s not supposed to.

Eight Samurai.6840

We’re all frustrated with this announcement, but you’re doing yourself a disservice by making really ignorant claims like this.

He’s doing his job. Consider the possibility that maybe he’d put himself in jeopardy by disclosing information that he’s not supposed to.

That is a silly statement, if he wasn’t supposed to be doing this, the entire forum post would have been long deleted by now. Right now you are making ridiculous assumptions. All I’m stating is don’t give one word answers to important questions, because more than likely, you will look like an kitten (which I’m sorry but his simple ‘yes’ answer does sound like one).

Posted by: Eddie Mo.7169

Eddie Mo.7169

Except OP didn’t post a question asking WHY. He posted questions asking Are you doing this, Is this happening. Is that happening. All which were answered thoroughly.

Mitch.4781

Except OP didn’t post a question asking WHY. He posted questions asking Are you doing this, Is this happening. Is that happening. All which were answered thoroughly.

Fair enough but it is blindingly obvious 95% of people would want to know why. He gave a one worded answer to a pretty kitten good question, that required a much more elaborate response. It may be “communtiy interaction”, but it it isn’t good or informative.

Posted by: Vox Hollow.2736

Vox Hollow.2736

Anet has been bombarded for 3 years about dungeons and their lack of development which pretty much shows the community WANTS dungeons. Sure, John is telling us straight up he doesn’t want us playing dungeons. Yep great he’s communicating, woohooo! Except instead of communicating which involves listening, Anet pretty much through an F-you to all dungeoners. We are telling anet what we want, they are afraid that their fractals and raids won’t be as fun as dungeons, so they are clearly telling us that they will force us not to play dungeons by removing rewards.

I get that, I’ve been one of those voices over the years too.

It’s just…
I’m still trying to parse what a Fractal even is now. Much less how it interacts with Raids, which is itself a black box. I’m stretching my imagination to redefine the value of Ascended gear, given that it now has an entirely new context to have value in. And I think on a really good day, I might have some idea as to the implications of reward track legendaries and map rewards, and how that makes me feel about all of the previous things.

Right now all I’ve got is the corner pieces done on this jigsaw puzzle of a bigger picture, and even a whole handful of darker pieces is nonsense without knowing their place.

(edited by Vox Hollow.2736)

Eight Samurai.6840

Fair enough but it is blindingly obvious 95% of people would want to know why. He gave a one worded answer to a pretty kitten good question, that required a much more elaborate response. It may be “communtiy interaction”, but it it isn’t good or informative.

Yes, not having the brains to think to oneself that maybe I should explain what I mean here is in fact being ignorant.

Eight Samurai.6840

I get that, I’ve been one of those voices over the years too.

It’s just…
I’m still trying to parse what a Fractal even is now. Much less how it interacts with Raids, which is itself a black box. I’m stretching my imagination to redefine the value of Ascended gear, given that it now has an entirely new context to have value in. And I think on a really good day, I might have some idea as to the implications of reward track legendaries and map rewards, and how that makes me feel about all of the previous things.

Right now I’ve got the corner pieces done on this jigsaw puzzle of a bigger picture, and even a handful of darker pieces are nonsense without knowing their place.

Well, all we can do is wait for more answers that aren’t one word responses from John Smith. We are all frustrated I think.

Posted by: Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

It’s fun to speculate on the reasons for this.

Did they all dislike Hrouda?
Are dungeons too unpopular?
Are the devs salty because they got kicked for being bads?

At this point it’s not like this is a surprise. Oh well.

Eddie Mo.7169

I think they gave a response regarding the economy of the game or something, but who really knows. I personally think they just want people to buy HoT.

Still, Anet never ever gives a direct answer to anything and they really don’t give a crap whether or not people are raging. So we really won’t know how bad the dungeon rewards are nerfed until HoT comes out.

Nonetheless…

The official announcement was that there was a lowering of gold reward but it is not stated exactly how much (unless I missed something) and all the other drops would remain.

And then there’s also the fact that dungeons are freaking easy, or at least a lot of them are. Then Raids are said to be hard where one mistake can cause a party wipe or something.

Dungeon difficulty: Medium worth ~1-3G
Raids come out
Raid difficulty: High worth ~1-3G

Now it makes sense to nerf dungeon rewards and make Raids reward high. So it kind of makes sense to me to allocate the rewards from the dungeons to the raids. Of course, this being logical if and only if the Raids will give the same or around the same as the dungeons used to.

Mitch.4781

Yes, not having the brains to think to oneself that maybe I should explain what I mean here is in fact being ignorant.

We aren’t telepathic or mind readers. I’ts in our basic human nature to query and question, especially when given an extremely unsatisfactory response. It’s a rather simple and acceptable request. Are you satisfied with one word answers in every facet of your daily life? If so, that is true ignorance.

Eddie Mo.7169

You sound like one of those people who question the governments secret activities then call the government stupid because they don’t tell you what they’re doing.

Or when you ask your friends to go out and then they say they have plans and then you keep inquiring. They’re the stupid ones for not answering you right?

John Smith is stupid because he doesn’t answer a question that ANet probably didn’t have an answer for or didn’t want to reveal. Yes… He’s the stupid one.

We aren’t telepathic or mind readers. I’ts in our basic human nature to query and question, especially when given an extremely unsatisfactory response. It’s a rather simple and acceptable request. Are you satisfied with one word answers in every facet of your daily life? If so, that is true ignorance.

Pretty sure he is talking to me, calling me ignorant.

(edited by Eddie Mo.7169)

Eight Samurai.6840

Yep, pretty much this, I think you just said it better.

Eight Samurai.6840

You sound like one of those people who question the governments secret activities then call the government stupid because they don’t tell you what they’re doing.

Or when you ask your friends to go out and then they say they have plans and then you keep inquiring. They’re the stupid ones for not answering you right?

John Smith is stupid because he doesn’t answer a question that ANet probably didn’t have an answer for or didn’t want to reveal. Yes… He’s the stupid one.

Ooooh the assumptions are stronk in this one about my personal life! I’m an avid reader of news and try to keep up with politics, about the friends thing I’m not sure what you mean there but sounds like to you asking questions are baed… more sad faces :::(((

If I was John here would be a simple way to fix a lot of anger due to lack of response:

‘Yes, because blah blah blah’
‘Yes, but I am not at liberty to say atm’
‘Yes, but this will be revealed why to you shortly’

One word answers to something important are ignorant.

(edited by Eight Samurai.6840)

Eddie Mo.7169

Ooooh the assumptions are stronk in this one about my personal life! I’m an avid reader of news and try to keep up with politics, about the friends thing I’m not sure what you mean there but sounds like to you asking questions are baed… more sad faces :::(((

If I was John here would be a simple way to fix a lot of anger due to lack of response:

‘Yes, because blah blah blah’
‘Yes, but I am not at liberty to say atm’
‘Yes, but this will be revealed why to you shortly’

One word answers to something important are ignorant.

If you want to get answers you have to be smart enough to ask the right questions.

Also, learn to think for yourself instead of relying on people to give you answers.

Eight Samurai.6840

If you want to get answers you have to be smart enough to ask the right questions.

Also, learn to think for yourself instead of relying on people to give you answers.

If that is the case, I’m pretty sure that having not only the forums, but also reddit filled with confusion about his one word answer and people asking why they would admit this is enough reason to go back and answer, which he nor no one else did.

Eddie Mo.7169

If that is the case, I’m pretty sure that having not only the forums, but also reddit filled with confusion about his one word answer and people asking why they would admit this is enough reason to go back and answer, which he nor no one else did.

Are you kidding me? They’re not confused about these one word answers. You really think they are confused by them?

“Is this going to happen? Yes”

How do you get confused about that. They are not confused.

They are upset that this is happening… Obviously they want an explanation and they aren’t getting one which only fuels their anger.

Eight Samurai.6840

Are you kidding me? They’re not confused about these one word answers. You really think they are confused by them?

“Is this going to happen? Yes”

How do you get confused about that. They are not confused.

They are upset that this is happening… Obviously they want an explanation and they aren’t getting one which only fuels their anger.

How about instead of making assumptions yet again, you go and read the responses on reddit. Yes, some of them are angry about what was said, but there are also people wanting an explanation.

Eddie Mo.7169

You keep claiming that I am making assumptions. What are these assumptions?

I’m saying that you asked some pretty stupid yes or no questions and you got yes or no answers. Then you called the guy stupid for answering your questions but not giving you an explanation.

You think I’m happy that they nerfed dungeon rewards? Hell no, I wanted to run those dungeons and get paid.

I’m not confused why they would do this because I can think of a couple of scenarios that are have to deal with game balancing and/or getting profits. I do, however, want to hear their explanation.

Now…

I’m telling you and I cannot be more direct than this. My point is that he’s not going to give you an explanation. He doesn’t care if the reddit forums are in an uproar because he gave the information he is supposed to give and no more than that. There is really no point in calling him stupid for doing his job.

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

“Farming” dungeons? With once-a-day runs? Can that be called “farming?”

Sounds to me like this is just a way to reduce income from the core game in order to “encourage” people to buy HoT. If a SW nerf comes soon, I’d say this is confirmed.

Lord Kuru.3685

This. It’s pretty clear that they think HoT can’t stand on its own merits… that they have to nerf the core game in order to make HoT appealing.

It’s a really bad sign.

Eight Samurai.6840

“Farming” dungeons? With once-a-day runs? Can that be called “farming?”

Sounds to me like this is just a way to reduce income from the core game in order to “encourage” people to buy HoT. If a SW nerf comes soon, I’d say this is confirmed.

Almost right, but that gold is moving from dungeons to fractals, it’s not a fix for the economy. If it was a real fix they would eliminate that gold instead.

Lord Kuru.3685

I wonder where they think all the gameplay time currently spent on dungeons is going to go? Fractals? Raids?

Posted by: Cat Has Ducks.1982

Cat Has Ducks.1982

Its obvious why. You can run dungeons on a F2P account but the new Fractal and Raids will require HOT. So you limit what good stuff people can do for free, by forcing them to buy the expansion to play the good stuff. They realized dungeons can keep people happy for a long time, and they can’t have that if they want people buying this expansion.

Its also why rev is receiving so much love in PVE and PVP.

Lord Chuck I – Guardian
Chuck The Stampede – Engineer
[Lg] Agatha – Dragonbrand

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

Glad he’s talking, but I’m still very curious as to why they’re doing it. There are things in this game that allow you to get money far easier than just playing whatever you have fun doing. I can understand if they want to get rid of that stuff and balance out the income to make every element of the game balance out, and with how an economy works it’d be all good even if it meant we made less per time.

But, that’d mean things like SW Chest farm would have to disappear. I guess I just don’t get why they would target dungeons but leave braindead run in circles play around.

I’ve read his reports and I’m still sitting here scratching my head. All he’s really done is confirmed that they’re doing this because they want to disincentivize dungeons, which I think we all figured out already, the question is why?

Posted by: Windsagio.1340

Windsagio.1340

Windsagio.1340

Is that the speech this rotation of devs is going to be given after being made into scapegoats and handed their walking papers?

Heh, really.

Posted by: Belorn.2659

Belorn.2659

They are currently spending resources in order to deincentivize that content which secondary effects are negative PR and lower customer satisfaction. Doing nothing would have been better from a resources conservation perspective.

It does make this look like a cash grab, which I suspect is a unintentional consequence.

In the end I am disappointed to see this wasteful behavior. Dungeons are rich on art models and story, both which constitute free raw material to mold into new fractals. There they can bring historical events into a playable instance, and fractals gives a story reason to do what no other mmorpg are allowed to: retire unsupported content without community backlash.

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

Glad he’s talking, but I’m still very curious as to why they’re doing it. There are things in this game that allow you to get money far easier than just playing whatever you have fun doing. I can understand if they want to get rid of that stuff and balance out the income to make every element of the game balance out, and with how an economy works it’d be all good even if it meant we made less per time.

But, that’d mean things like SW Chest farm would have to disappear. I guess I just don’t get why they would target dungeons but leave braindead run in circles play around.

I’ve read his reports and I’m still sitting here scratching my head. All he’s really done is confirmed that they’re doing this because they want to disincentivize dungeons, which I think we all figured out already, the question is why?

because they want to have all the people who want to do 5 man content doing fractals and raids, they no longer feel dungeons should be daily activity. Basically they want people to stop doing dungeons and do things like raids/fractals/adventures/map goals, all of which have ties to HoT purchases.

basically they feel dungeons are on life support with rewards, and they can let them die by taking them off life support.

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

It clearly shows that they are unhappy with the 8 initial dungeons. They were bad design, you can stack in a corner and finish it. Even with the first new instanced content – fractals – you notice this is not possible anymore – well at least not in 95% of all possible situations.

Oh something I want to highlight: Mr. Smith doesn’t say he want’s to discourage players to play dungeons, he answers to the question to de-incentivize dungeon running. This just means he agrees to lessen the appeal/carrot on a stick to run dungeons for monetary reasons only like it’s done these days. Don’t turn words.

They tried then something new with aetherpath which was super gimmicky and long, rewards weren’t that good for such a path. I never understood why they didn’t do it like in WoW – accessible, no gimmicky skill jumping/puzzling parts, just straight forward with an universal currency to buy exotic/ascended stuff.

They went from the one extreme to the other extreme. There is a lot of middle ground and somehow most other MMOs I played can do that and Anet is hell of a talented team.

Anyway, the grudge is softened by the fact we soon get raids.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

(edited by ProtoGunner.4953)

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

The intention ultimately is to reduce gold gain.

Anyone who thinks these new legendaries won’t be more grindy and costly than the vanilla ones is fooling himself.

John’s Smith job description is to design systems that frustrate players enough so they open their wallets and buy gems to ease the gold grind by converting RL money to gold.

It’s been their modus operandi since the game’s release, nerfing any gold farm or quick wealth generation scheme to keep scarcity high.

And despite their claims that they nerfed gold income to stop inflation, nothing could be further from the truth. They kept nerfing gold farms and introducing more goldsinks in the form of ascended armor and yet precursor and legendary prices have only kept increasing over the years.

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

It clearly shows that they are unhappy with the 8 initial dungeons. They were bad design, you can stack in a corner and finish it. Even with the first new instanced content – fractals – you notice this is not possible anymore – well at least not in 95% of all possible situations.

Oh something I want to highlight: Mr. Smith doesn’t say he want’s to discourage players to play dungeons, he answers to the question to de-incentivize dungeon running. This just means he agrees to lessen the appeal/carrot on a stick to run dungeons for monetary reasons only like it’s done these days. Don’t turn words.

They tried then something new with aetherpath which was super gimmicky and long, rewards weren’t that good for such a path. I never understood why they didn’t do it like in WoW – accessible, no gimmicky skill jumping/puzzling parts, just straight forward with an universal currency to buy exotic/ascended stuff.

They went from the one extreme to the other extreme. There is a lot of middle ground and somehow most other MMOs I played can do that and Anet is hell of a talented team.

Anyway, the grudge is softened by the fact we soon get raids.

im not turning words thats what disincentivize means

disincentivize basically is to discourage

dis·in·cen·tiv·ize
?disin?sen(t)iv?z/
verb
verb: disincentivize;

discourage (a person or course of action) by removing an incentive.

there is nothing innate to dungeon design that makes it inferior to fractals, there is nothing that it would be impossible to fix. They just dont want to do it. I’m not even saying they should fix em, at this point it would be waste of resources. Even if they were fixed they would still be old content.

However they didnt really need to stop making it worth doing. Whats the point of killing content? it would have been something some players like to do to get gold, why is less competing methods of gaining gold better?

do they really think the gold running dungeon people wont do raid or fractals if dungeons exist? wouldnt that mean that dungeons offer something unique a sizable portion of players want from the game?

fractals have, and had tons of exploits.