New boss boon: Cornered

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Archon.6480

Archon.6480

I feel sorry for all the enemy bosses being rammed/lured into the corner (or surrounded) and beaten to death like piñatas. I think they should get a new boon called Cornered, that will function similar to defiance.

Now we all know it’s a bad idea to corner a wounded animal, why should Dungeon bosses be any different?

Cornered: (15s duration)
50% increase to attack speed
30% reduction to damage
Damage increased by 150%
Conditions last twice as long

They should receive this boon if they take 20% damage while adjacent to a wall or 4 or more players and it should stack in intensity. Let’s give these foes some teeth.

Defiance should then be changed to work in a similar fashion. It should be gained if boss is hard cc’d more than once in 10s.

Jade Quarry – Esparie
Illustrious Exhausted Primordial Legendary Druid, and Mesmer for fun
PvE | PvP (1500)| WvW | Fractals | Dungeons

Posted by: NovaanVerdiano.6174

NovaanVerdiano.6174

Ridiculousness at its finest.

Archon.6480

Ridiculousness at its finest.

Maybe a little OP, but you have to get the gist. Most dungeon bosses are pushovers. It would be nice it they were a bit more dangerous. I mean, tequatal is the only scary foe in the game…

Jade Quarry – Esparie

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

So…. Well. You could do that. It’s an option.

Attachments:

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

Archon.6480

:) I mean, I’d settle for anything to make these guys fight back a little. As it is they die so fast…. It’s kind of a let-down. Don’t you think? You really think they fight back enough, as is?

How many people go into dungeons for a challenge? It’s more of a somewhat glorified Ori-farm. Only mildly more interesting than running from node to node. Am I missing something?

Gw1 challenges were far more challenging.

Jade Quarry – Esparie

(edited by Archon.6480)

Lilith Ajit.6173

:) I mean, I’d settle for anything to make these guys fight back a little. As it is they die so fast…. It’s kind of a let-down. Don’t you think? You really think they fight back enough, as is?

How many people go into dungeons for a challenge? It’s more of a somewhat glorified Ori-farm. Only mildly more interesting than running from node to node. Am I missing something?

Gw1 challenges were far more challenging.

Community: Is bolded on bingo yet?

Archon: Yeah I get what you’re saying. I don’t think it’s really the case though. Unless it’s spider queen we are discussing I would need a bit more info about which bosses we are talking about. She’s not challenging to range either. (Check out my art below!)

you might say subject alpha. I’ll give you that he is, to me, a much more challenging and risky fight while ranging. But we did that as a community. We found it was a better strategy to stack on him. That evolution tends to happen on daily run stagnant content… so sure. That buff would maybe force us to not stack. Maybe. But isn’t that really just… destroying options rather than creating them? O.o

Anyway I can’t really think of any other boss that is cheapened really from “stacking” until we throw in fiery great sword rush. But most of us agree that unless we are record seeking cough not I cough, we really don’t use it because yes, it makes a fight boring.

Attachments:

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

Lilith’s posts are awesome lmao

Archon.6480

Lilith’s posts are awesome lmao

He, he. I love the spider picture. Lol

Jade Quarry – Esparie

Lilith Ajit.6173

My art is pure Picasso

[ARES]

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

Why do so many people think a boss fight needs to be long? Made sense in single player games, gotta give the consumers value for money after all. That translates roughly to a minimum number of hours you can complete the game in. Made even more sense in subbed MMOs, because you’ve gotta keep players around as long as possible. None of that is necessary here in GW2.

Of course, you can always create your own challenges, like the rest of us. Ever tried a duo? Solo even?

Some of the simplest dungeon paths can be surprisingly tough if you run them that way.

Archon.6480

Community: Is bolded on bingo yet?

Not yet, but it’s a good candidate!

Archon: Yeah I get what you’re saying. I don’t think it’s really the case though. Unless it’s spider queen we are discussing I would need a bit more info about which bosses we are talking about. She’s not challenging to range either. (Check out my art below!)

Love the art! She’s what gave the idea, of course! So cute. You can still stack and burn her for a portion of the fight (which is cool) it just get’s dangerous to do it to long (kinda like Ashym) you can stack and burn him until he pulls his flaming staff… Then you need to adjust. Makes it fun. Malrona (cuddles) has a similar mechanic.

you might say subject alpha. I’ll give you that he is, to me, a much more challenging and risky fight while ranging. But we did that as a community. We found it was a better strategy to stack on him. That evolution tends to happen on daily run stagnant content… so sure. That buff would maybe force us to not stack. Maybe. But isn’t that really just… destroying options rather than creating them? O.o

Very good point, we don’t want to destroy options, and stacking is a nice option. I see these sort of things as creating options, though. On the defensive side. We have to delve a little deeper into the defensive arts in this way.

Anyway I can’t really think of any other boss that is cheapened really from “stacking” until we throw in fiery great sword rush. But most of us agree that unless we are record seeking cough not I cough, we really don’t use it because yes, it makes a fight boring.

I’ve got nothing against stacking. But, it does cheapen my video card a bit. All I see is wall and explosions for most fights these days. might as well pull out the old CRT Monitor for that!

Jade Quarry – Esparie

(edited by Archon.6480)

Posted by: TurtleDragon.3108

TurtleDragon.3108

The main problem with this idea is that it’s a band-aid fix that doesn’t address the actual “issue”. Why not address the reasons why people stack, los/wall and FGS in the first place and formulate a solution based on that.

How many people go into dungeons for a challenge? It’s more of a somewhat glorified Ori-farm.

It’s really hard to find excitement or desire for challenging content in dungeons that are almost 2 years old at this point. Even if say, all the bosses got reworked in AC I wouldn’t care because I’ve ran AC 100s of times already and only sometimes do it for the gold.

Also, I especially don’t care about challenge if the rewards aren’t there.

I do find regular dungeons boring and don’t do them because I don’t need the gold, but I always suggest new dungeons/paths as the solution. Main content I liked doing in this game is Fractals because the encounters are more interesting and FGS is not as dominant (or atleast is harder to do) there as it is in regular dungeons.

Archon.6480

Why do so many people think a boss fight needs to be long? Made sense in single player games, gotta give the consumers value for money after all. That translates roughly to a minimum number of hours you can complete the game in. Made even more sense in subbed MMOs, because you’ve gotta keep players around as long as possible. None of that is necessary here in GW2.

Of course, you can always create your own challenges, like the rest of us. Ever tried a duo? Solo even?

Some of the simplest dungeon paths can be surprisingly tough if you run them that way.

You make a very good point here. I would be in favor of lower HP, higher damage PvE opponents who had some interesting evasion/protection styles skills to work around. Instead of millions of hit points. I think some encounters could be improved by reducing boss hit points and increasing damage output.

I did say something to the effect of dying like piñatas, which king of implys being bounced around and only incidentally bumping you before spilling candy colored guts all over the place.

Jade Quarry – Esparie

(edited by Archon.6480)

Archon.6480

The main problem with this idea is that it’s a band-aid fix that doesn’t address the actual “issue”. Why not address the reasons why people stack, los/wall and FGS in the first place and formulate a solution based on that.

Ah yes, well this is not meant to fix stacking/FGS so to speak, as I don’t think it is broken. Please don’t let us get off topic, as this is not the intent of the kind of changes I am thinking (though I understand why it might seem that way). Think of it as ways to make stacking (or whatever) more Interesting.

Wouldn’t it be nice to hard cc some of the perma-defiant baddies once in a while. Or to have to run from that foe you just burned down to 30% health when he gets angry (cornered, so to speak)

Jade Quarry – Esparie

Posted by: TurtleDragon.3108

TurtleDragon.3108

Ah yes, well this is not meant to fix stacking/FGS so to speak, as I don’t think it is broken. Please don’t let us get off topic, as this is not the intent of the kind of changes I am thinking (though I understand why it might seem that way). Think of it as ways to make stacking (or whatever) more Interesting.

Wouldn’t it be nice to hard cc some of the perma-defiant baddies once in a while. Or to have to run from that foe you just burned down to 30% health when he gets angry (cornered, so to speak)

Ah, I just assumed this was another anti stacking topic.

I suppose giving bosses more than 3 attacks and 1 phase could be a place to start.

Some of those ideas might be alright I guess if it was for a select few bosses. Having every boss enrage at 30% or get a corner buff would get old and/or frustrating fast. A lot of people in this game don’t like excessively long time gates (cough Mai Trin, AC p3, TA unskippable cutscenes)

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

As always, this points toward a need for some new dungeon content rather than buffing the current phases. Especially when the NPCs, dialogue, mobs and rewards remain the same.

Posted by: Saint.5647

Saint.5647

Be careful. Those volatile blossoms are dangerous.

One True God
Fashion Forward!
Guild Wars Dinosaur

Posted by: winterchillz.2564

winterchillz.2564

Lilith, the new screens of your tiny azura are adorable.

Cloud of Sparrows
Fluffiest Blood Legion Charr
“At least I die knowing my sisters are free”

Posted by: DigitalKirin.9714

DigitalKirin.9714

So. Bosses are animals? A cornered animal is certainly dangerous, but is it more dangerous than walking into a lion’s den, kicking the Alpha awake and trying to box it in the center of its pride? ‘Cause when I see people YOLO into a boss, that’s basically what they’re doing.

Genevieve Talbot [NP] – Noble Phantasm on Stormbluff Isle

Posted by: Bread.7516

Bread.7516

Quite the bad idea, we need less plain variable tweaks and more movement.

AI detecting corners and geometry would be more work than anet is willing to put.

Let’s say they finally got of their bums and find the triggers and conditions to detect geometry, a better option would just to trigger a movement skill similar to a leap/long dodge/WW/charging launch atk or some CC. Slap in a little RNG per boss “state” and intuitive tell animations – you have baby’s first steps into making interesting bosses.

(edited by Bread.7516)

Posted by: Ranael.6423

Ranael.6423

Some cornered animals also die from heart attacks … so your buff should be 50% what you propose and 50% instant death of the boss

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

New boss boon:
Artificial intelligence:

When the bos is lured with A LoS tatcic in a corner, it justs moves away, rather then blindlessy charging its target.

P.S. also steals a banner.

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Posted by: TKiller.6829

TKiller.6829

also steals a banner.

You win.

Defeated by packet loss.

Posted by: dlonie.6547

dlonie.6547

we need less plain variable tweaks and more movement.

QFT.

Posted by: Norjena.5172

Norjena.5172

U stack/los because u don´t have tank.

Deal with it or play another game (with trinity).

GW2 community is imo the most kitten i´ve ever seen. So much hate and ignorance……

Posted by: Saint.5647

Saint.5647

U stack/los because u don´t have tank.

Deal with it or play another game (with trinity).

GW2 community is imo the most kitten i´ve ever seen. So much hate and ignorance……

O_o LoL would make you cry yourself to sleep every night. Or 1 round on any FPS on a console

One True God
Fashion Forward!
Guild Wars Dinosaur

Posted by: Miku Lawrence.6329

Miku Lawrence.6329

I have a better fix – give them meta builds. I would love to fight equally skilled bosses.

Snow Crows [SC]

Posted by: NovaanVerdiano.6174

NovaanVerdiano.6174

I have a better fix – give them meta builds. I would love to fight equally skilled bosses.

Urban Battlegrounds Fractal. It’s something I guess.

Posted by: Miku Lawrence.6329

Miku Lawrence.6329

Not enough! Need full 5 weaponskills and 5 ulties.

Snow Crows [SC]

Posted by: Lucas.9157

Lucas.9157

Not enough! Need full 5 weaponskills and 5 ulties.

Inb4 League of Guild Ancients MOBA

Posted by: robertul.3679

robertul.3679

New boss boon.
For every gear piece not berserker/assassin boss becomes Concerned(23h). Like in real life, where real bosses get concerned about your effectiveness.
Increases damage just enough to compensate for defensive stats. People now take the same damage as if they wore dps gear.

Posted by: Lucas.9157

Lucas.9157

New boss boon.
For every gear piece not berserker/assassin boss becomes Concerned(23h). Like in real life, where real bosses get concerned about your effectiveness.
Increases damage just enough to compensate for defensive stats. People now take the same damage as if they wore dps gear.

+1