cleric guardian runes

cleric guardian runes

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Artemis Thuras.8795

Artemis Thuras.8795

So, as many people of the fractal & dungeon forums know: clerics is a very handy stat for some of the more challenging content. Particularly when dealing with party mates who are still learning how to mitigate damage.

So what runes are the guards using for this purpose?

Running trooper runes at the moment.

monk runes have been suggested ( due to out-going heal increase).

Runes of earth/forgeman sound promising if using a hammer build ( may be overkill prot duration however).

rune of the defender looks insanely strong for personal sustain, but lacks group support.

mercy runes not going there. Not even entertaining them as a suggestion.

Co-Leader of The Mythical Dragons [MYTH],
Advocate of learning and being a useful party member.
http://mythdragons.enjin.com/recruitment

cleric guardian runes

Posted by: Oxbone.3490

Oxbone.3490

I started running with Monk runes. Then I wanted to dps a bit more so I switched to ascended zerker gear and put in scholar runes. If I could get more ascended Cleric’s gear I would swap back I think. I need the AR slots. No quite enough right now on my cleric set with the monk runes. Soon though.

cleric guardian runes

Artemis Thuras.8795

agony resistance and asc isn’t an issue at all for me on this. Nore is dps. I already have an asc zerk+ scholar and asc cleric+trooper rune set.

Just trying to figure out if i want monk runes or stick with the trooper.
on the cleric set.
Looking at the numbers I’m leaning towards switch over to monk runes at the moment ( for the cleric set).

cleric guardian runes

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

I’d say monk out of your selection there. As you point out protection additions aren’t needed. Defender seems silly with a heal that already blocks for you. Leaving monk kind of by default. Boon duration + healing power. Really the only 2 support things you can get from stats.

Trooper could be nice, but I’m guessing your only shout most of the time is retreat, maybe stand your ground in some cases. So you’re probably not activating it all that often, and being a guard you can generally easily substitute absolute resolution/purging flames in those scenarios.

cleric guardian runes

Posted by: Titanimite.2534

Titanimite.2534

Monk by far, IMO though. Cleric Guard is really only useful on Mai Trin.

cleric guardian runes

Posted by: Painbow.6059

Painbow.6059

Monk runes or altruism if you want to use cleric guard, but i’m warning you that it is a waste of gold. For more challenging content they are either going to have no idea and die anyway regardless of your healing, and your lack of damage wont allow you to push the fight. If they know what to do then your healing power will be wasted. This is just my opinion

cleric guardian runes

Posted by: IllegalChocolate.6938

IllegalChocolate.6938

Monk runes or altruism if you want to use cleric guard, but i’m warning you that it is a waste of gold. For more challenging content they are either going to have no idea and die anyway regardless of your healing, and your lack of damage wont allow you to push the fight. If they know what to do then your healing power will be wasted. This is just my opinion

An opinion that is warranted though IMHO at the extreme ends of the spectrum. I personally feel that everything within the midline can see augmentation from Hard Support used at its maximum potential.

cleric guardian runes

Posted by: Fewix.4250

Fewix.4250

Water runes ggez. mo heals mo betta

In most games. Casuals are the majority. In Gw2, casuals are the game.

cleric guardian runes

Artemis Thuras.8795

might/fury on altruism runes doesn’t seem that useful – those should come from other sources.

More to the point I want my party mates to be aware that they aren’t providing those boons enough ( part of the goal with a clerics guard is to make it easier for people to learn to play their class at a given encounter).

As for being a waste of gold, that’s subjective and not the topic of the thread.

Water runes ggez. mo heals mo betta

4 on water: remove a condition,
4 on monk: 10% boon duration, 645 heal ( hp coef 1.0) <— according to wiki.

6 on water: 600 range aoe heal of 645 (0.5 hp coeff).
6 on monk: 10% outgoing heal effectiveness increase.

Given that 10% is going to have a similar increase to the HP on the entire set of clerics gear it seems like a substantial boost.

Also condi clear typically I’ll be giving as a group wide effect via purging flames or absolute resolution( or yelling at staff ele to drop healing rains if we need that much clear..). so that seems pointless, especially as an on-hit effect.

inclined to say your argument for water runes isn’t very swaying.

(edited by Artemis Thuras.8795)

cleric guardian runes

Posted by: bearbear.1903

bearbear.1903

Skady made this post a month ago (followed by a train of hate) which looks to be exactly what you’re looking for and she uses Monk runes.

(edited by bearbear.1903)

cleric guardian runes

Artemis Thuras.8795

Skady made this post a month ago (followed by a train of hate) which looks to be exactly what you’re looking for and she uses Monk runes.

This looks promising.

Train of hate? lol I guess some don’t like it pointed out that non zerk is not only viable, but often works out better due to team strength
Which is why I’m doing some deep digging on the topic myself.

There may be a bit of overkill on the heal and tanking capabilities of that..
(though it does prove a point about just how strong that play style can be).
I’m looking to just apply some training wheels to my guildies while they learn how to actively defend themselves, or switch into support on say a staff ele.

I may try those rice balls and see what kind of effect that 10% healing output has though.

cleric guardian runes

Painbow.6059

This looks promising.

Train of hate? lol I guess some don’t like it pointed out that non zerk is not only viable, but often works out better due to team strength

I can’t think of a single instance off the top of my head where going cleric would be better than berserker for carrying people even if they are the dumbest of the dumb.

cleric guardian runes

Artemis Thuras.8795

This looks promising.

I can’t think of a single instance off the top of my head where going cleric would be better than berserker for carrying people even if they are the dumbest of the dumb.

Insulting people who are learning to play is a sure-fire way to cause a flame war, and its not needed.

I edited that post after watching the first video and the beginning of the second.
I was hoping to avoid making a second reply post but evidently that isn’t possible.

It is beyond overkill for anything I’ve seen. That being said, there are some out there who would need that much to keep them alive. These would consist of teams with little or no zerker – and even no meta traits however. – different purpose entirely.

tl;dr
Since I’m trying to create a “training wheel” environment for guildies ( and friends) who are traversing the learning curve ( and attempting to play glass cannon builds). I’m looking to give them a safety net ( which I can slowly reduce and remove as they become stronger players).

The arguments for taking monk runes seems pretty overwhelming compared to the other options. Largely due to the outgoing healing boost to everyone else.

cleric guardian runes

Painbow.6059

This looks promising.

Insulting people who are learning to play is a sure-fire way to cause a flame war, and its not needed.

I edited that post after watching the first video and the beginning of the second.
I was hoping to avoid making a second reply post but evidently that isn’t possible.

It is beyond overkill for anything I’ve seen. That being said, there are some out there who would need that much to keep them alive. These would consist of teams with little or no zerker – and even no meta traits however. – different purpose entirely.

tl;dr
Since I’m trying to create a “training wheel” environment for guildies ( and friends) who are traversing the learning curve ( and attempting to play glass cannon builds). I’m looking to give them a safety net ( which I can slowly reduce and remove as they become stronger players).

The arguments for taking monk runes seems pretty overwhelming compared to the other options. Largely due to the outgoing healing boost to everyone else.

Then train them under conditions where they will actually need to learn to dodge or use their heal skill. Or just get them to use a few soldier pieces instead of making yourself suboptimal. If what your guildies need is some support then the real way to do it is to let them experience what it’s like trying to survive in reality and they will learn from that

cleric guardian runes

Artemis Thuras.8795

This looks promising.

tl;dr

Then train them under conditions where they will actually need to learn to dodge or use their heal skill. Or just get them to use a few soldier pieces instead of making yourself suboptimal. If what your guildies need is some support then the real way to do it is to let them experience what it’s like trying to survive in reality and they will learn from that

And when they get bored of ( or run out of time due to) dying over and over and over?

Your way doesn’t work for the particularly nasty fights, with the majority of people I’ve met. ( and trust me, i’ve tried. Clerics is my last resort option to get people through something, rather than kicking someone who is honestly trying to learn).

cleric guardian runes

IllegalChocolate.6938

The day that a build specifics thread doesn’t derail into zerker meta discussion bile is the day that I win the lottery.

On brighter news I bought ice cream today.

#killit

cleric guardian runes

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

The day that a build specifics thread doesn’t derail into zerker meta discussion bile is the day that I win the lottery.

#killit

Oh look it seems like you are the one trying to derail. Funny that.

cleric guardian runes

Posted by: deSade.9437

deSade.9437

I love playing healer elly. It’s super fun to see people’s health go UP and UP after lupi throwing a random necrid bolt. The problem is the guys I usually play with are skilled so they don’t take damage in regular fights. Healing is useless and feels like trolling most of the time (unlike pigbow, which is a super op build nobody really understands). Still, we had a 3 elly 1 mes comp yesterday, super squishy, and it was hilarious when we aggroed the champ and I healed them for half of their health with a water dodge.
I think stacking so much healing power is supremely useless. I play with cele and I basically saw no improvement with exo cleric gear. The added heal is minimal. Just stack outgoing heal stat, that’s what makes it strong. My geyser was like 7k.
Monk runes all the way.

Sincerely, a monk player and healer/buffer since my first game ever.

P.S. I’d like to point out that I think stacking outgoing heal and healing in general is better suited for an elementalist, not a guardian. But that’s just my opinion.

cleric guardian runes

IllegalChocolate.6938

#killit

Oh look it seems like you are the one trying to derail. Funny that.

That’s the joke.

Its already derailed so why the hell not.

cleric guardian runes

Posted by: rfdarko.4639

rfdarko.4639

P.S. I’d like to point out that I think stacking outgoing heal and healing in general is better suited for an elementalist, not a guardian. But that’s just my opinion.

The thing is, if your going for stat based support, healing power is basically your only option, outside of maybe boon duration. You need enough toughness to maintain agro (when it’s relevant)- any other defensive stat is selfish.

I prefer healing guard over healing ele simply because guard does more of the kind of healing you need when healing would be at all relevant – sustained healing to counter retal, aa damage, frizz lazer walls, etc. Ele has amazing burst healing, as you mentioned the dodge roll heal, but burst damage is countered most often with blocks/evades. You can aa in staff water, but as soon as you do anything else the only sustained healing you’re left with is soothing mist. I found playing a healing ele was much more reactionary, waiting for my teammates to get low so I could get of a burst, where guard keeps everyone topped off without wasting big heals.

Guardian also has much better access to aoe protection, which goes quite well with healing – keep the squishes from being chucked down too quickly so you can heal them up. A guardian will also have an easier time keeping themselves and the mobs still during the fight, which allows your party members to position themselves safely.

The burst healing nature of ele probably also explains why you didn’t see much improvement from cele to cleric – it’s very easy to over heal. But the small ticks of healing a guard has gains much more out of high healing power. It’s a wombo combo of aegis/prot to stop the spike damage, and sustained healing to keep everyone topped up, with just a few choice burst heals (f2 for example) for those oh-crap moments.

Sincerely, someone who may secretly enjoy trying out healing builds in late night FOTM. >_>

guildless hobo who likes to solo – [x]

(edited by rfdarko.4639)

cleric guardian runes

Posted by: robertul.3679

robertul.3679

Mercy runes. Gotta rez them noobs cuz they go down with their glasscannon yolo builds.