175 Black Lion Keys Results

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

There will always be a tangible value along side of a perceived value, but not necessarily a perceived value along side a tangible one. That’s just the way it is. Kinda like how a lotto ticket might cost 1 dollar and for some the value of hope is well worth the 1 dollar maybe more, but for others is not. Regardless the perceived value of hope, the actual value is still 1 dollar.

Be careful: the “actual” value isn’t a dollar; that’s the cost.

The “actual” value is whatever the ticket is worth after the winning numbers are published (and it’s zero after the expiration date).

The expected value is 50 cents for most US lotteries, in that half the money goes into prizes (most to the jackpot, some to the consolation prizes). In practice, no one is going to see the expected value, because that requires either buying millions of tickets or some weird sort of RNG in which one gets half the costs returned.

In practice, the value is going to be a lot less than the expected value: if you leave out the jackpot and top 1-2 unlikely prizes, the vast majority of lotto players are going to end up with a lot less than 50 cents.

Here’s an example of how we simply cannot do any better than estimating expected value: the expected value of US lotteries is almost 50 cents on a dollar ticket and the chance of winning is always tiny, yet plenty of people (with and without mad math skills) will buy lotto tickets only when the jackpot is over a hundred million dollars or more. The expected return is always 50 cents, but people find it more valuable with a higher jackpot.

So sure, you can look at someone else’s winnings and offer your market valuation of their loot; but you can’t say whether it was worth it to them or not.

And in this thread, a poster expressed their happiness with their prizes, so the gracious thing is to say “gz” — it’s churlish to say they shouldn’t have been happy or that they have incorrectly valued their shinies or even that you wouldn’t be happy with that.

For the most part I agree with the lotto ticket deal except that it could be sold to another person for 1 dollar. Any more than that and they’d just go to the store and buy one themselves. Value can change and does constantly…..ie ticket goes from being worth 1 dollar to being worth whatever the win/loss dictates.

That aside. I never said they shouldn’t be happy with it. I said I wouldn’t be happy with it. Two different things.

The value was the gold value of the gems minus the gold price of tp buyable goods. That left us with a very measurable snapshot value of the rest.

Serenity now~Insanity later

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

There will always be a tangible value along side of a perceived value, but not necessarily a perceived value along side a tangible one. That’s just the way it is. Kinda like how a lotto ticket might cost 1 dollar and for some the value of hope is well worth the 1 dollar maybe more, but for others is not. Regardless the perceived value of hope, the actual value is still 1 dollar.

Be careful: the “actual” value isn’t a dollar; that’s the cost.

The “actual” value is whatever the ticket is worth after the winning numbers are published (and it’s zero after the expiration date).

The expected value is 50 cents for most US lotteries, in that half the money goes into prizes (most to the jackpot, some to the consolation prizes). In practice, no one is going to see the expected value, because that requires either buying millions of tickets or some weird sort of RNG in which one gets half the costs returned.

In practice, the value is going to be a lot less than the expected value: if you leave out the jackpot and top 1-2 unlikely prizes, the vast majority of lotto players are going to end up with a lot less than 50 cents.

Here’s an example of how we simply cannot do any better than estimating expected value: the expected value of US lotteries is almost 50 cents on a dollar ticket and the chance of winning is always tiny, yet plenty of people (with and without mad math skills) will buy lotto tickets only when the jackpot is over a hundred million dollars or more. The expected return is always 50 cents, but people find it more valuable with a higher jackpot.

So sure, you can look at someone else’s winnings and offer your market valuation of their loot; but you can’t say whether it was worth it to them or not.

And in this thread, a poster expressed their happiness with their prizes, so the gracious thing is to say “gz” — it’s churlish to say they shouldn’t have been happy or that they have incorrectly valued their shinies or even that you wouldn’t be happy with that.

For the most part I agree with the lotto ticket deal except that it could be sold to another person for 1 dollar. Any more than that and they’d just go to the store and buy one themselves. Value can change and does constantly…..ie ticket goes from being worth 1 dollar to being worth whatever the win/loss dictates.

That aside. I never said they shouldn’t be happy with it. I said I wouldn’t be happy with it. Two different things.

The value was the gold value of the gems minus the gold price of tp buyable goods. That left us with a very measurable snapshot value of the rest.

No, someone else’s lotto ticket isn’t worth a buck to me, maybe 20 cents — I don’t know if it’s a legit ticket.

What you said was

Here’s my 25 key haul. I’m pretty happy with it.

To each their own, but I don’t think I’d pay 335g for the glider, 3 wardrobe unlocks, 25 personal presents, and a few odds and ends.

Which is a reasonable statement of fact about how much it was worth to you: you don’t think it’s that valuable. But in the context, it comes across as a value judgment of someone else’s preferences. I accept your word that such wasn’t your intention; I hope you’ll accept mine that (based on reading various responses here), it came across as something else.

It might be the phrase “to each their own” which steered people the wrong way — the defined meaning is neutral; it just gets used a lot by people who want to dismiss someone else’s opinion. It’s like when I tell my mom “sure, whatever you say”.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: azureai.9764

azureai.9764

Yeah, the Black Lion Chests are near utter trash.

I came into some gems for Christmas and bought some keys – what a waste! Even when I got something that could be cool, like a new weapon skin, it would give me an item that provides a RANDOM weapon skin. Randomness upon randomness – there’s no way you’re going to get anything you want out of these.

Ol’ Evon Gnashblade sure managed to swindle this human.

Posted by: msalakka.4653

msalakka.4653

It used to be awesome. You almost always got something useful from one of those boxes. They nerfed them at some point when they reworked them. Now it’s just trash, box after box.

Gutter Rat [cry] | Gandara | Roaming nuisance
~ There is no balance team. ~

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Well, not to be unexpected.

I’ll stay away as always. I only keep about 10 chests in reserve just in case a key drops but that doesn’t happen much and is generally disappointing anyways.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: SirDrygan.1823

SirDrygan.1823

So, any other way for ANET to earn money to maintain Guild Wars 2?

Because one day, it will be like many other MMOs, ANET would be force to run maintenance mode and then close the server if the money doesn’t come in. And you all are complaining about the RNG of a cash shop item that you all do not intend to pay for the key. I am sure the keys the OP gotten are accumulated from in-game and thus ANET did not get a cent from it.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

So, any other way for ANET to earn money to maintain Guild Wars 2?

Because one day, it will be like many other MMOs, ANET would be force to run maintenance mode and then close the server if the money doesn’t come in. And you all are complaining about the RNG of a cash shop item that you all do not intend to pay for the key. I am sure the keys the OP gotten are accumulated from in-game and thus ANET did not get a cent from it.

Lots of people buy BL keys with gems they acquired with RL cash.

Posted by: titje.2745

titje.2745

i want a good drop from a bl chest something worth 2k + gold i want kitteng nevermore but i cant force myself farm 24/7 till i have the gold. and i cant save money in a guild bank becouse the flavor to buy a gb tab i cant get becouse i need atleast 3 ppl to complete events with for flavor for 3 weeks. i want a item to put gold in so i cant reach it. against gamble.

and about map completion its very BAD i asked someone i know irl to play gw2 he completed few maps in 1 day and he got 3 keys. i completed 8 maps over 2 chars and got only 1 key. i know anet want the person to buy the xpack and yes you can give him better luck with keys but dont ruin the fun for those players that play very long.

yes i had 89 gold at that moment but thats not a reason to reward me with trash transmute charge and think i have to buy the keys with the gold. i bought 1 few months ago becouse i was angry but its waste of 32 gold.

and why do some ppl have so much luck with black lion chests? everyone should be rewarded ingame with the chests. and even more when you pay irl money for it.
i hope i will get more keys with map completion becouse this make me angry.
and angry ppl ragequit. if i have a nice game i sometimes buy gems if i need something but not for keys. last xmass i got an infusion (thanks for that) and later i bought 2k gems becouse i was happy but i need better luck from black lion chests.

so pls make my rng better and give something for 2k+ worth gold. i want nevermore so bad.

Posted by: trixantea.1230

trixantea.1230

Tomes of knowledge shouldn’t drop from chests.

Posted by: costepj.5120

costepj.5120

I had a BL key drop yesterday for the first time in ages … and got a new glider skin. So I’m a happy bunny!

So long and thanks for all the skritt

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Why not?

Chests are intended to drop junk as filler; Tomes of Knowledge deliver.

Posted by: trixantea.1230

trixantea.1230

Why not?

None of the persons who spend gems (aka real money) wants to see a junk item in their chests.

Unidentified Dye is also a bit out of its place here because in most cases it either gives a “commum” or “uncommun” dye that costs 1g at best while the equivalant of one black lion key is about 35g.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Why not?

None of the persons who spend gems (aka real money) wants to see a junk item in their chests.

It’s true: anyone who spends real money to buy gems (who, by the way, are not the only people who spend gems) wants to see valuable stuff. That doesn’t change the intended purpose of BL chest: they are lotto tickets; they have only the tiniest chance to drop something of value and an even lower chance to drop something of high value — everything else in them is intended as filler, i.e. junk, i.e. stuff you might not care about.

If you don’t like to see the filler, don’t spend gems on the keys. It’s cheaper to save your gold (or convert cash gems to gold) and buy the stuff you really want.

Posted by: Abelisk.4527

Abelisk.4527

Got a Candelabra Staff on my first Wintersday chest. I think I’m enjoying our BLCs

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

i want a good drop from a bl chest something worth 2k + gold i want kitteng nevermore but i cant force myself farm 24/7 till i have the gold. and i cant save money in a guild bank becouse the flavor to buy a gb tab i cant get becouse i need atleast 3 ppl to complete events with for flavor for 3 weeks. i want a item to put gold in so i cant reach it. against gamble.

and about map completion its very BAD i asked someone i know irl to play gw2 he completed few maps in 1 day and he got 3 keys. i completed 8 maps over 2 chars and got only 1 key. i know anet want the person to buy the xpack and yes you can give him better luck with keys but dont ruin the fun for those players that play very long.

yes i had 89 gold at that moment but thats not a reason to reward me with trash transmute charge and think i have to buy the keys with the gold. i bought 1 few months ago becouse i was angry but its waste of 32 gold.

and why do some ppl have so much luck with black lion chests? everyone should be rewarded ingame with the chests. and even more when you pay irl money for it.
i hope i will get more keys with map completion becouse this make me angry.
and angry ppl ragequit. if i have a nice game i sometimes buy gems if i need something but not for keys. last xmass i got an infusion (thanks for that) and later i bought 2k gems becouse i was happy but i need better luck from black lion chests.

so pls make my rng better and give something for 2k+ worth gold. i want nevermore so bad.

You are more likely to get a Precursor as a drop, than an item in a Black Lion Chest worth 2,000 Gold. Unless, of course, you open, maybe, 100 Chests per day.

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

Why not?

Unidentified Dye is also a bit out of its place here because in most cases it either gives a “commum” or “uncommun” dye that costs 1g at best while the equivalant of one black lion key is about 35g.

Those aren’t junk items … many players like getting free levels. The idea they shouldn’t be there because you don’t want them is ridiculous to say the least. Anet can’t customize BL chests to individual player wants. If you don’t like what you get from BL chests, then you can ignore them completely.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

If you open black lion chests for any reason other than a lark “lets see what I get” then you only have yourself to blame by being disappointed. Not everything is a measure of gold.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

If you open black lion chests for any reason other than a lark “lets see what I get” then you only have yourself to blame by being disappointed. Not everything is a measure of gold.

<3