2000 hours, 0 precursors, why keep playing??

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Lightrayne.7829

Lightrayne.7829

….because getting a precursor isn’t the game to me. I don’t play the game mainly to possess an item that will cause me to stop playing the game after it is acquired. I play because I enjoy spending time with my gw2 friends.

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

over 4000 hours – no precursor drop – I just pretend precursors do not drop and only come from MF and TP

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Posted by: Rin.1046

Rin.1046

I don’t play the game to get a legendary, I play to have fun. But then I guess I’m fortunate that I personally find 99% of them fugly. I have much more appealing non-legendary weapons to make my character look cool, and they took hardly any time at all to aquire.

My advise would be to take your eyes off the cake (it’s a lie anyway) and enjoy the rest of the stuff the game has to offer. There are a lot of gambling hooks in this game, to trick you into paying lots of time or money on ‘look good’ items, but as others have said, you do not need them to enjoy the game. Find cheap alternatives, that’s what I did and I am perfectly happy with my characters appearance.

Legendary weapons do not equal bragging rights. When I see people running around with legendaries, I don’t think ‘Wow, that person has played the game a lot or has achieved a lot’, I think ‘Wow, that person has been extremely lucky, has farmed until his eyes bled, has used a bot/exploit to gain gold faster than normal or has spent a lot of real world money to buy a virtual item’. A legendary weapon is nothing to brag about, so why waist your time/money and sanity on acquiring one?

Simplicity is complex.

Good feedback is key to getting the developers to listen to you.

Posted by: JMar.3254

JMar.3254

Because getting a precurosr/legendary isn’t the only thing to enjoy in this game.

I play it for wvw, pvp, and dungeons. Not even really trying, I accumulated 700 gold, charged lodestones, t6 mats, etc, so I figured why not, and made a legendary.

If getting a precursor is all this game is to you, you could have probably gotten 10-15 with 2K hours, if you actually tried.

You get nothing! You lose, good day sir!

Posted by: Solid Gold.9310

Solid Gold.9310

2500+ hrs and over 5500ap best I’ve ever got was a exotic.

Same for me………………… just pretty much all junk.

Jumping puzzles, love them or hate them, I hate them. Thread killer.

Posted by: McSlappy.1372

McSlappy.1372

Because a real Legendary like the ones in other games are more then just a rectangle with a sky texture on them and a smear effect. The legendaries that have been out for over a year now are fairly meh looking graphically. I can get their stats with Ascended gear. Even with different builds stats don’t change that much so I can have a couple Ascended swords with the stat combo’s a I was way faster, and cheaper then a Legendary. This all amounts to the Legendaries being a major waste of time.

Now this is a Legendary!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcYUVVuMkaI
It has particles and special glows in the weapon. Much bettery looking then a polygon with a texture on it. It whispers to you while you use it. And has a full character particle effect that changes based on the custom buff you get. This is just the first example I thought of. The Lendaries from this game are rather lame vs the time investment or as most people get them the gem store investment.

(edited by McSlappy.1372)

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

Precursors only drop from a few specific places:

• Level 80+ enemies
  • World boss chests and world boss bonus chests (the ones on the ground and the ones that pop-up on screen)
  • Dungeon chests
  • Some Jumping Puzzle chests

I’m afraid this statement is wrong m8. Precursor can drop from any enemy, chest or WvW loot bag, only the chances differ.

Thats correct, i got my DAWN from a lv60 shark. So just play the game normally, no need to farm. Slowly save gold to buy a precursor until 1) you got enough gold; 2) you got a loot

Why wasting gold gambling for a slim chance in mystic toilet?

Posted by: No Walking.6349

No Walking.6349

Did you play 2000 hours just for a legendary weapon? Lol okay then

Posted by: Phantasmimic.1948

Phantasmimic.1948

Only 2k? I have 4126 hours now through all my characters, and never got a precursor. Talk about bad luck. =)

I am just VERY glad that I find all legendaries ugly or simply not worthy. It was never, ever in my plans to make one. Else I would’ve quit this game long ago~ What keeps me here are the folks I play with. They are awesome. =3

The highest value items I have looted were that molten backpack and the unbreakable bell thing from winter’s day.

Liv Hume – Elementalist (Tarnished Coast server – Roleplayer)

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

You play to have fun.

You (and I) will NEVER, EVER get the drop / loot you want. No precusor, no ascended weapon box, nothing.

If you accept that and still want to play, cool. If not, find another game.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

If all you care about is a precursor drop then any precursor will do. Farm money till you can get the cheapest one on the trading post and voila!

3000 plus hours here and no precursor either but I haven’t tried and if I did get one I’d probably sell it.

Posted by: Clockwork Bard.3105

Clockwork Bard.3105

Ultimately, no reward in a video game has ever been worth the time, money or effort put into it. Never. It’s like a carnival game. You pay the man a dollar, throw a ball at a target, and if you win he gives you a fifty cent prize. It’s little more than a memento of the experience. The experience gives it context and significance. You had fun playing a game and won that. When it becomes about the prize, you become that guy who put $50 into a claw game because you had to have that stuffed pink whale.

Never go for the stuffed pink whale. He’s awkwardly shaped and bottom heavy.

Posted by: Cancer.9065

Cancer.9065

Some precursor are not that expensive, so try buying one of the “lesser” one and start working on your legendary.

I had a similar mindset… hoarding everything hoping for a precursor drop to start getting the legendary specific mats… then one day, on a whim, I just liquidated my entire bank and had enough to buy Howl and Tooth of Frostfang (it was a whim… in retrospect 1 would have been enough lol).

Cancer is also a Zodiac sign.

Posted by: Liquid Rhino.7192

Liquid Rhino.7192

These are some of the exciting things I’ve learned on these forums (and reddit, as well) since launch:

• If a person doesn’t drop a precursor – specifically the one they want in a timeframe they define – the game isn’t worth playing.
  • Achievement points should dictate whether or not you deserve your precursor, since they are a true test of player skill and clearly cannot be facerolled by following some Dulfy guide to a T.
  • A certain amount of hours should net you your precursor, specially if you spend enough of all that time in LA and/or the official forums rallying support for your cause.
  • Everyone who does not have a legend believes everyone deserves to have one, once they have one they want it to be even harder for others to make.
  • Grinding is the only way to get them and shouldn’t be part of it, as grinding clearly isn’t part of accomplishing anything in any other video games in history.
  • Folks do not start their legendaries because they will not succumb to something that’s must only be RNG, and no other games have ever used RNG for any sort of drop/reward system. Ever.
  • Crafting a legendary requires nothing short of mindless Cof p1 runs, or playing TradingPost Wars 2 and that’s not legendary.
  • If a person doesn’t get/build legendary, it’s because ‘all legends are ugly anyway’
  • Those who do have a legendary (or god forbid more than one) must always have a luck-tagged account, must be irl rich and flat out bought it, or need sunscreen because they have no lives.
  • Once any of the above-mentioned ‘non-legendary’ methods of acquisitions is met, said legendary wielding player’s intent was ALWAYS and ONLY to troll everyone else who has not been fortunate enough (by Anet’s own direct doing, of course, and not sheer mathematical randomness) to drop their precursor.
  • Many players have not or will not have finished their legends only because they have some problem of the effects or footfalls it has as a form of personal protest, but had no problems starting to work towards it to begin with.
  • Legendaries are the ONLY reason to play the game. Otherwise, there is no fun to be had in playing the game at all & it’s time to quit.
  • You CANNOT build a legendary by just playing the game as you wish long enough to save up for what you need.
  • The legendary crafting system is flawed and clearly impossible, and must be changed as it’s game-breaking.
  • It’s the mystic toilet’s fault that players loose upwards of 800-1900g+ trying to get a precursor.
  • Saving 500-800g is impossible.
  • Exotics are worthless.
  • The legendary you may have is better than some other player’s stupid-looking legend.
  • People are fools for wasting their time making underwater legendaries.

Extra Credit goes out to those who taught me:

• Commanders are needed in LA & Dungeons, and most importantly, roaming alone (or with 2 friends) in PvE.
  • High Achievement points are necessary for any successful LFG pug run, otherwise it’s a complete catastrophe.
  • The only professions that should post or join LFG’s are Zerker Warrs and Guards who must ping all Ascended trinkets and AR30+ for Cof p1. No questions asked.
  • Skipping mobs and glitching dungeons/fractals are the ONLY way to beat them. If you do not know how to or wish to skip you are automatically kicked for not being ‘experienced’.
  • No character under level 80 can ever finished a dungeon successfully in greens or blues.
  • Achievements decide how you must play the game.

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

(…)

• A certain amount of hours should net you your precursor, specially if you spend enough of all that time in LA and/or the official forums rallying support for your cause.
    (…)

Finally I know what I’m doing wrong! Thanks

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

Posted by: Liquid Rhino.7192

Liquid Rhino.7192

Sure, I was being overly candid, and some players certainly have legitimate concerns.

Sometimes a stroke of luck can be change things (not limited to the game), and other times, it just takes a little more work.

Posted by: Ulion.5476

Ulion.5476

It takes ~500 in game hours to make a legendary. Sitting and waiting for a precursor to drop is pointless, either save up your money to buy one or mystic forge one. Only had 1 precursor drop in wvw sold it, bought 4 others and crafted 1. Every person I seen complain about legendaries has waited to get the precursor last, knowing that the precursor is 1/3 to 1/2 the price of the legendary. Easy to see why people get frustrated about crafting one.

Ele – Tarnished Coast
“Quoth the raven nevermore”
Platinum Scout: 300% MF

Posted by: Blanger.3162

Blanger.3162

^^^^^^ This is the only reason I want a precursor to drop, to sell it!

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

Those 2000 hours dont mean anything . You could spend that time standing in LA , doing wvw or PvP . Or just leveling new characters . Work for it and you will have one.

Apparently this guy does not know what the R in RNG stands for.

You could play ten hours and get everything you want from the game, you could play 10000 hours and still have nothing of worth. Hence the problem.

Posted by: KOPPER.1458

KOPPER.1458

Love it Rhino. LOVE IT. rofl

Posted by: Sublimatio.6981

Sublimatio.6981

dont worry, 4000 hours and no precursor :P except one from mystic forge (350g spent), but we speak about mob drop, don’t we?

Posted by: Raven.9603

Raven.9603

because after that many hours, you no longer have a life to go back to anyway?

SBI | Oceans | Ranger – Thief – Ele – Eng – Nec – Guard – Rev
Celestial Avatar is like an old man: Takes forever to get up and is spent in 4 seconds

Posted by: wauwi.9162

wauwi.9162

couldn’t you just buy one with the money you should have after 2000H?

[EU/GER]Elona’s Reach: Aerrith: Lv80 Ranger / Sephirra: Lv80 Mesmer
“Only the finest of potatoes in my zerkburgers.”

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

Just spend 10G on gambling with GSs. I didn’t even get one exotic.
But yeah, maybe instead of mystic gambling, I should use my gold to buy Magic Find Boosters, maybe that increases drop rate by 0.0000000000000000000000001%.

Posted by: Crawford.4135

Crawford.4135

Yep same here. Lot of us just quit the game because every issue players have with their game falls on deaf ears at this company. And when you have negative issues with the game they just delete the post and pass infractions out. Sure I’m not the nicest in this area but that’s because they ignore small guilds players and ONLY listen to large based gild players.

And lot of us quit do to their balancing team losing their minds. Dec 10 I was not going to sit around to watch this group of people destroy their very own game while nit listening to the S/P thieves.

And yes the stupid ‘controlled’ farming they push on the players in this game is stupid.

Oh and over 500 fractal runs to never see the weapon skin I wanted. I’m not giving this company any more of my money (gems) when the don’t give a kitten about a players

I’ll throw my money at a company that actually gives a care. Not ArenaNet/NCsoft ever again.

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

Meh, almost 5000 hrs of play and almost 10000 AP and nothing close to a precursor, the best I’ve gotten has been exotics and the best selling for no more than 12g. Time and effort put in this game means NOTHING.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Posted by: TriggerSad.2597

TriggerSad.2597

Because I don’t care about getting a Legendary, so the fact I have never gotten a precursor means nothing to me.

IGN: Despada
Guild: I Can Outtweet A Centaur [TWIT]
Twitter: https://twitter.com/TriggerSad

Posted by: coglin.1867

coglin.1867

So we have another thread with a lot of
“I have played a lot and did not get one of the rarest drops in the game” threads. So what? I work hard at my job every day, and I haven’t won the lottery either.

Get over it.

A video on what weak PvPer’s and WvWer’s want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c

Posted by: DarkWasp.7291

DarkWasp.7291

In order to get by in the MMO world you need to think like this:

Extreme RNG cases are quantified by the entire game’s population. No one precursor is meant to land on a specific person, it’s only meant to land at a certain rare rate world wide. These items are tradeable, so they REWARD luck rather than DISPLAY achievement.

As such, the way a precursor is MEANT to be obtained is in the trading post.

Obtaining a precursor through drop or forge is GOOD LUCK but should not be made into a GOAL.

I’m glad they are making changes, but that’s the way it is now.

^ Uses Guild Wars 2 character screenshots for desktop wallpapers.

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

People are actually waiting on precursors to drop? You guys should have a legendary every 1000 hours if you’re playing efficiently. Buy/MF your precursors. If you wait for a drop you’ll never get one.

Posted by: WatchTheShow.7203

WatchTheShow.7203

2,100 hours here. 2 legendaries. I made Kudzu and The Dreamer. I saved up my gold and bought my precursors. I never got a precursor as a drop or from the mystic toilet, and I sure wasn’t expecting one to drop in WvW either. Do the smart thing. Save that gold.

Posted by: chronometria.3708

chronometria.3708

The RNG in this game makes no sense and apart from precursor issues, this is one of the reasons tequatl sits cold and alone on most servers. There are only so many times someone will kill him only to see some yellows, or kill the karka queen only to see yet another one of those useless recipes she drops.

Buy a dye kit and maybe get one of the newly released dyes….that one definitely doesn’t make sense to me when real money is changing hands. The lottery concept is all pervasive and spreads a bitterness that damages the game and discourages people from playing….and thus paying to keep the game going.

Returning to the precursor issue, I have never had one drop for me. My only “lucky break” to date has been in getting a black lion ticket from a chest (I have never seen one of the scraps, only a ticket itself). The only large chunk of money I made was on investing in desert roses and doing well out of them in the auction house when they increased in price.

It’s all backwards and rewarding the wrong people, or forcing normal players into becoming investment bankers in order to make some sort of reasonable gold income without endless hours of champ farming. This needs to change.

(edited by chronometria.3708)

Posted by: DeathMetal.8264

DeathMetal.8264

If your only fun is getting a pre, then I agree. However, if you are like me that don’t mind not getting a pre, then you have lot more reasons to play. Limit yourself to one thing to keep you playing, then indeed you won’t be playing anymore soon

Lv80 Thief |Mesmer |Necromancer|Ranger|Guardian|Warrior|Elementalist|Engineer
[Aeon of Wonder]
Maguuma Server

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

“I have played a lot and did not get one of the rarest drops in the game” threads. So what? I work hard at my job every day, and I haven’t won the lottery either.

Get over it.

Your job has NOTHING to do with the lottery, but, pay increases and performance rewards do which I’m sure you have gotten, so, your statement is MOOT.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Posted by: Chuo.4238

Chuo.4238

This thread makes it sound like its players are mostly RNG and grind enthusiasts.

Posted by: Oniyui.8279

Oniyui.8279

This thread makes it sound like its players are mostly RNG and grind enthusiasts.

I love rng, but this game is a terrible example of it. Most rng systems apply value to the random number. This game seems to require you to get a specific random number out of a million.

RNG loot doesn’t have to be so grindy.

(edited by Oniyui.8279)

Posted by: Sollith.3502

Sollith.3502

Hey, just for your information; you’ve been playing the game wrong.

This is a stock trading simulator where sociopaths invest in certain markets and make as much money as possible by any means and those that don’t are the wheels on the cart to deliver the goods while sociopaths exploit the system… oh, wait…

Posted by: Lux.7169

Lux.7169

6000+ hours here and no pre drop or MF eva. But made tons of legendaries by farming champs hard

So you’ve played 15 hours a day since the game was released?

[SoF]

Posted by: CntrlAltDefeat.1465

CntrlAltDefeat.1465

Title says it all……

An until precursor crafting comes (if it comes), its vaporware…..

You’ve used your time wrong then. 2000 hours is enough time played to have just bought one. Be thankful you don’t have one;
700.000+ karma (most events only give 200ish karma now)
100 gold just for icy runestones
400 armorsmith/weaponsmith
20 gold for recipes
2000 t5 materials
10 dungeon runs
500 WvW badges
100% map completion
200 minimum skill points spent
additional 100 charged lodestones (so 400 more dungeon runs or 220 gold purchase)
now you’re almost there to making one.

Some parts of the creation are fun..other parts are just grind-grind-grind—where it is easier to farm gold then actually try for the materials.

My advice..farm gold/karma and obtain as many fractals/laurels as you can whilst just monotonously farming gold and buy your way to one. RnG just ain’t no fun.

Posted by: CntrlAltDefeat.1465

CntrlAltDefeat.1465

It takes ~500 in game hours to make a legendary. Sitting and waiting for a precursor to drop is pointless, either save up your money to buy one or mystic forge one. Only had 1 precursor drop in wvw sold it, bought 4 others and crafted 1. Every person I seen complain about legendaries has waited to get the precursor last, knowing that the precursor is 1/3 to 1/2 the price of the legendary. Easy to see why people get frustrated about crafting one.

Agree. Starting obtaining everything first and wait for the precursor..once you have most things you need, your gold should have started accumulating nicely.

Posted by: Cina Reas.6938

Cina Reas.6938

Get over it.

You need to adjust your thinking.

This is a game. You create a hero and guide the hero through a great adventure that involves Dragons, Quaggen, Glowing swords ( that no one in the real world could carry ) and Massive treasure chests with kitten all in them.

2000 hours deserves a precursor ( coloured dots on a screen ). The OP has at least made his server look busy which has helped A-net.

Grind Wars 2; the game that ate my brain.

Nick.6972

As I said earlier in other thread.
dont want precursors to be easy to obtain however, I want to be able to get them without gambling or random drop or TP.
Like to get Dawn you must kill 10000 monsters during the day.

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

These are some of the exciting things I’ve learned on these forums (and reddit, as well) since launch:
<snip>

• You CANNOT build a legendary by just playing the game as you wish long enough to save up for what you need.
<snip>
  • People are fools for wasting their time making underwater legendaries.

Loved your post!

And I’m apparently a fool, because I’m going for an underwater legendary… And I don’t even grind for it, but actually play the game as I wish… (the only thing I grinded (if you can call it that) was doing an Orr wood run twice or three times a week, with one character…)

Oh, and I bought my precursor from the TP, as I never expect to see one drop, ever, for me.

Nick.6972

Underwater Legendary is almost 1/2 price of the GS legendary.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I agree with the people who say if you want one that much you should just save up and buy a precursor.

That’s what I’m planning to do. If I didn’t keep buying minis I could probably have gotten all 3 precursors I want by now (The Lover, Leaf of Kudzu and Rodgort’s Flame). Even now the only thing stopping me is that I’d have to put off buying minis while I saved up the money.

I don’t farm so it’d take me a while, but it’s not difficult. You just need to be patient.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

Underwater Legendary is almost 1/2 price of the GS legendary.

Thankfully, I’ve never been a great admirer of about 90% of all GS in this game (I prefer a more delicate design instead of a big huge design…). But why would it be half the price of a GS (unless you count the precursor…)?

Nick.6972

Because most people dislike underwater combat and most of the content takes place on the ground.

Posted by: killahmayne.9518

killahmayne.9518

Guess what, life is unfair, deal with it. I’ve played 2K+ hours, alot of it doing World Boss Train and dungeons and I’ve never got a precursor, let alone found an item that was worth more than 7g.

I have a friend who has played the same amount as me, but he has found 4 precursors. Mjolnir which is an item that is worth 1K Gold +, a +15 agony infusion.

However sometimes that is just the way it is, just like we are here in NA enjoying playing GW2 while there are starving children in Africa.

Just don’t count on getting really amazing drops and work for your stuff. Doing a couple dungeon runs a day, Champ/WBT trains for 1-2 hours a day and you will be making money and before you know it you will have enough for a pre. Just know that a lot of people are in the same boat as you are.

Mace/Greatsword Video (Sept Patch)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoAjKtD6MLY

Posted by: Tremain.4623

Tremain.4623

2000 hours should easily be enough to make enough money to buy about oh… 100 precursors or so? what have you been doing to get precursors? If the answer is anything besides “farming gold to buy one” you are doing it wrong.

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

Well if the entirety of your enjoyment in GW2 comes solely from your acquisition of Legendaries and precursors, then stop playing. However, if you can manage to enjoy any of the other numerous aspects of this game, then I’d stick with it. After all, if a precursor drops for you tomorrow, what will be your motivation for continued play? Seems you’ll have your carrot then.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)