300 gold for a tag color is too much

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: grifflyman.8102

grifflyman.8102

Anet is basically charging the community for a feature the community wanted put into the game to help large groups and events organize. They’ve taken a highly requested idea and spun it around as a gold sink.

Charging gold for a colored tag designed to help promote oragization, split large groups (zergs) and promote tactics (something WvW is severely lacking) is an outrage. It can be compared to charging players gold to use map chat, a tool used to organize groups and for tactics, much like the commander tag.

I beg that the decision to charge gold to access colored tags be reconsidered.

Just read the comments of over 400 players over at reddit:
http://www.guildmag.com/command-tag-gamescom-2014/

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/2djnv8/interview_with_devon_carver_commander_tag_will_be/

(edited by grifflyman.8102)

Posted by: Taygus.4571

Taygus.4571

it was ludicrous when they charged gold for the comm tag as is.

A needed feature turned into a gold sink.

didn’t stop people buying it though…. ….. why would the coloured tags be any different?

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

Agreed. It’s too much.
I already have my blue tag and won’t be spending that ridiculous amount of money for an extra color.
50 gold would have been fine. Even 100 would have worked – but 300?!

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: Nokaru.7831

Nokaru.7831

Then have your friends chip in for one.

Posted by: Duke Blackrose.4981

Duke Blackrose.4981

Tags shouldn’t have been a gold sink in the first place.

They should have been something earned through actual experience. Time spent in WvW or objectives taken. Perhaps commendations from other players.

And account-wide for crying out loud.

None of this bought-not-earned single-character tag crapola.

Posted by: Banzie.5248

Banzie.5248

No way im spending 300g. WvW community is already in massive uproar about it— but when arent we?

We can continue to do things as they have been done, screw this feature if this is what Anets deciding for it to be. We’ve managed for 2 years, we can continue to.

Isle Of Janthir

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

Its a good change, 300 isn’t much, its absolutely good enough to stop players with no WvW experience to become way too simple Commanders, because would you waste 300g just to hav that blue hat symbol on you if you basically never play enough Wvw to have any experience about it?? I doubt that.

Many people in the past complained about it, that just the 100gold that it currently costs is way too cheap as to prevent many unexperienced people to become way too easily Commanders. I guess, raisign it now to 300 is is just a first step to make it harder to become a Commander and thats good so.

A really well known and appreciated Commander in WvW that is known among the crowd like a coloful dog shouldn’t have any problems with buying multiple colored tags, as that could be easily got together via crowd donations of his daily squads.
If just 300 people donate to that commander 1 G, the well known and appreciated commander has a new tag color.
And in WvW there donate alot of players to their good known and appreciated commanders they like alot of money and blueprints, buff food ect. for the so called “warchest” to ensure, that their world can keep up strongholds good upgraded and never run out of the supply of blueprints ect.

So I suggest simple to people to calm down here. That are simple changes to prevent that not everyone runs around with multiple different commander tags, because the system behind it was never based about it, that everyone should be a commander in WvW.
Otherwise we would see in PvE and WvW just a screeenclutter full of commander symbols everywhere >.>
Just think about it for a moment …

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

(edited by Orpheal.8263)

Posted by: Svetli.4276

Svetli.4276

a net do not care
go buy gems with $ then buy gold poor ppl have no place in gw2 !

“What you wish for may not be what she wishes for.” – Skull Knight

Posted by: SRoode.7318

SRoode.7318

300g for a Commander tag is not too much, regardless of color. If you take into account inflation from when Commander tags first became available, they should actually cost more than 300g now.

Seeing that ANet also is giving us advance warning of the price increase, I think it is more than fair.

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Seriously. Totally against that price.
Make it account bound: OK but not necessary, people usually command with their main anyway
Charging 300g because it’s account bound: worse decision ever, what if I only need it one one character?
Paying the full price again for every color: This is humour? Is this a joke?

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

300g?

why should a pvp feature cost gold when gold is best gathered through pve?

Are they still that clueless about their game?

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

Posted by: Acinonyx Rex.8609

Acinonyx Rex.8609

Commander Tag should be free for all. It’s a very usefull tool and anyone should be able to use it.
Here’s how things should be (IMHO) :
Introduce a new item “Tag coin” available for 1000 badges of honor or as a PvP reward track.
Blue Tag should be free for everyone.
Green Tag should cost 100Gold + 1 Tag coin
Yellow Tag should cost 200Gold + 2 Tag coins
Orange Tag should cost 500Gold + 5 Tag coins
Red Tag should cost 1000Gold + 10 Tag coins
Limit Tags to 10 per maps.
If there is already 10 Blue Tags When a Green Tag want to activate, the latest Blue Tag is desactivated.

Mesket.5728

Commander Tag should be free for all. It’s a very usefull tool and anyone should be able to use it.
Introduce a new item “Tag coin” available for 1000 badges of honor or as a PvP reward track.
If there is already 10 Blue Tags When a Green Tag want to activate, the latest Blue Tag is desactivated.

It should require a minimun pvp rank to wear first of all.

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

If people want one they go buy crystals exchange crystal for gold – buy tag. DONE – TAGS should be earned not bought.

Posted by: Acinonyx Rex.8609

Acinonyx Rex.8609

Commander Tags can be used on PvE Open World Map, I don’t see why PvP should be required for that. You can earn Badge of honor with achievment points so anyone can earn Badge of Honor but nobody can buy them. Seems to be the best compromise.

Mesket.5728

Commander Tags can be used on PvE Open World Map, I don’t see why PvP should be required for that. You can earn Badge of honor with achievment points so anyone can earn Badge of Honor but nobody can buy them. Seems to be the best compromise.

because PvE should be a different shaped tag and acquired by different ways. Lazy ANET placed them all as the same with a simple 100g req. only.

Posted by: Berelious.3290

Berelious.3290

300g is relatively easy to acquire at this stage, and given the current economic state blowing that much on a tag isn’t really all that costly. I see no problem with this.

Corwin Grimjaw: Guardian (80)
Yak’s Bend Server
Crimethink [ct]

Posted by: Mugiwara Luffy.1087

Mugiwara Luffy.1087

Really? The colors should’ve been free in the first place! Why put such high restrictions when the players ask for more coordination. Now it’s just another gold sink. The different colors will now be used as a “look at how much money I got” kind of thing.

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

300 gold is perfectly justified for PvE commanders. There’s probably as many or more PvE commanders running around various maps and doing various high level events.

WvW needs to have a system where you can purchase these tags with badges instead of gold. Gold isn’t that easy to come by in that part of the game. It should be balanced with the PvE method so that someone who buys their tag in WvW can use it in PvE and the other way around. A number between 2-5k badges of honor is probably fair.

Posted by: blakdoxa.7520

blakdoxa.7520

I’m just lovin’ how common it is for players to have 300g. I mean just lyin’ around like junk change.
Really speaks to me that there is some sort of underlying issue with the economy for all of these gold sinks cause they seem to be really kitten necessary, don’t they?

Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Fafnir.5124

Fafnir.5124

I think any true WvW zerg leader would have no problem putting up 300g to get it especially if they have support of their server. Selling half of the siege they got could also pay for it. The barrier i think should be high so not a lot of people are spamming and and actual strategy exists.

Posted by: TurtleofPower.5641

TurtleofPower.5641

They completely ruined the feature.

The ENTIRE point of color swaps on commander tags is so people can see what the heck is going on on the map at a glance.

You know how well having two blue guys works? Like crap. Sometimes people will go nuts until everyone but one guy tags off because it’s too confusing.

Simple solution was always: give colors.

Which they are finally doing but for THREE HUNDRED GOLD PER EACH COLOR to be unlocked?

It ceases to even be a feature for WvW. It’s a toy for rich farmlords.

Posted by: tekfan.3179

tekfan.3179

It would have been better if they just let the blue tag for 100g and added the ability to unlock a dye-slot for the commander-tag for 400g.

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

It would have been better if they just let the blue tag for 100g and added the ability to unlock a dye-slot for the commander-tag for 400g.

They probably won’t change their mind considering they had 2 years to think this over and come up with these 4 colors.

Posted by: Artaz.3819

Artaz.3819

5-6 tags of different colors.

Blue costs 100 gold
Yellow costs 5000 WvW badges
Green costs 1000 dungeon tokens or 1000 fractal relics
Red costs 300 gold and must be rank 30 PvP
Purple costs 800 gems
Orange costs 2 million karma
etc.

Everyone wins, more fun and encourages cross-game type play (yes, gem store too).

We haven’t even gotten to “guild” tags (a shield with your guild logo) that would cost guild influence for one use.

(edited by Artaz.3819)

Posted by: dlonie.6547

dlonie.6547

ANet, you’re the worst.

Artaz.3819

They probably won’t change their mind considering they had 2 years to think this over and come up with these 4 colors.

If it has been 2 years, it is worth it to let ANet know how much this means that they should take 2-3 more months and do it right/what the players want.

Posted by: Banzie.5248

Banzie.5248

A lot of you guys are missing the point.
300g account bound tag— This is GOOD. A great Change
300g/Color— This is a BAD change.

The whole purpose around colored tags that the WvW— and PvE community, Was to provide organization.

Red is havoc
blue is zerging
yellow is x guild.

Blue is cobalt
Red is crimson

etc etc etc.

Isle Of Janthir

Posted by: Ravenhunt.2735

Ravenhunt.2735

Is see this as a method to be “famous”.
When you see a commander with a red Symbol, so many peoplay will say: “This player have more Gold.”

And its a way to be unique.

Player would use this alone for this point, i say. ~_~
And stand with her symbol in LA… hour for hour… do nothing.

But… anyways… its not my gold. o___o

The change was needed, yes. It was discused with the german community leader Ramon Domke.
And its great to see that ANet chang this points like the players want.

But 300 Gold for each is hard.
I think THIS was not wanted…

Ventari says: “Act with wisdom, but act”
Meme says: “Meme?”

Posted by: Orangensaft.7139

Orangensaft.7139

Blue costs 100 gold
Purple costs 800 gems
etc.

Everyone wins, more fun and encourages cross-game type play (yes, gem store too).

We haven’t even gotten to “guild” tags (a shield with your guild logo) that would cost guild influence for one use.

think this would be a great idea

to have some wvw specific commandertag that needs
5000 wvw tokens & wvw rank 250+

pve commandertag that needs dungeon master title, maybe all achievements from the world bosses or something like that

so we can know
oh this commander most likely knows what he is doing in the area where he commands

We Glitched Out Of All [MAPS]
26x lvl 80 Characters
Most fabulous Character: http://i.imgur.com/5JtcBI1.jpg?1

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

Should just be a generic window pane with a list of selectable colors. At the very least on the initial log-in after the change you should be able to select your color.

I’d still rather a window pane so players can organize better on the fly. Rather than running into that odd situation where 4 commanders all have the said Blue tag.

Posted by: cheshirefox.7026

cheshirefox.7026

Blue costs 100 gold
Purple costs 800 gems
etc.

smart idea ^^ non-sarcasm
if you complain enough on the forum you should get a brown commander tag

i can outswim a centaur!
when i’m done on an issue
i start talking in nerglish

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

Anyone thinking 300g isn’t a metric bleep ton of gold isn’t a WvW player. I’ve never had 300g in my bank, ever! Bleeping dungeon runners and flippers are skewing the economy to the Nth degree. JS better stop staring at spread sheets and start playing!!!!! Because he’s obviously clueless on what the actual rewards are per game mode.

Here we go with great excitement for the future feature pack being completely nuked by Anet being way too greedy.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Posted by: Baldrick.8967

Baldrick.8967

Two schools of thought here:

PVE players, karma trainers and market traders who think nothing of 300g

WvW players (who actually need the function more than pve’rs) to whom 300g is more than they have ever had in their bank due to wvw rewards being so awful.

For pure wvw players, this just feels like a kick when their down.

WvW player. Doing another world completion for my next Legendary. Hater of mini-games.

Posted by: Clear.8512

Clear.8512

I’m ok with it. There might be some great commanders that don’t have the cash for the tag but i see it as the majority of serious world vs world guilds & World Boss guilds will pitch in money to get their 3-5 best people colored tags to lead during WvW/WBoss .

No one way is going to make everyone happy but if you want the tag that much to spend money on the game, good I want the servers to stay up and the rest of the tags will be with serious guilds that understand the workings of PvE world bosses and World vs World.

Artaz.3819

Blue costs 100 gold
Purple costs 800 gems
etc.

think this would be a great idea

to have some wvw specific commandertag that needs
5000 wvw tokens & wvw rank 250+

Good point – I’m rank 620?+ and I have no idea if the 5000 WvW tokens is the right mark (but it “feels” about right).

I would want a player commander that has sufficiently experienced that level of the game without being completely unreasonable in the amount of time/effort required to acquire that specific colored tag.

After all, this is a personal vanity improvement that helps the game community at large.

(edited by Artaz.3819)

Posted by: cheshirefox.7026

cheshirefox.7026

i definitely wouldn’t want to follow a commander who can’t rationalize past
“300g! never Ever have i even ever could have 300g in my inventory, i wvw c’mon”
seriously, ..Seriously, being a wvw’er means it’s beyond possible for you to have ever had the resources to acquire 3 current commander tags?  give me a break

i can outswim a centaur!
when i’m done on an issue
i start talking in nerglish

Posted by: Hayashi.3416

Hayashi.3416

I’m split between frustration on the wasted 100G on my second tag and consolation that I can now run T6 Dry Top on my other alts.

But definitely no question that paying more money per colour is ridiculous.

The current changes are shaping towards rewarding selfish use of tags (showing off for instance, it’s still cheaper to get all colours than a legendary and definitely more visible, especially for asura), while punishing towards the people who should actually be using tags – ie, the people actually spending effort coordinating others. Generally, for zero reward. No Dry Top zerg or WvW zerg has ever given me even a single copper.

While we’re on this topic, ArenaNet, make sure you increase maximum Squad size to 160-200. With the inflow of tagspam by people who will inevitably abuse the feature as a vanity accessory, I’m going to want a way for players who want to coordinate under me to eliminate all other tags on the map, and the Squad feature is the only way to do so. 30 people is Not Enough for running Tequatl or even a single wurmhead, even though it is still tolerable for WvW. I cannot stress this enough. Otherwise with your update you’ll end up making the original problem even worse – namely the problem of people not knowing which tag to follow.

(edited by Hayashi.3416)

Posted by: grifflyman.8102

grifflyman.8102

Two schools of thought here:

PVE players, karma trainers and market traders who think nothing of 300g

WvW players (who actually need the function more than pve’rs) to whom 300g is more than they have ever had in their bank due to wvw rewards being so awful.

For pure wvw players, this just feels like a kick when their down.

I’m glad someone understands where I’m coming from. There are better uses of gold sinks in the game. This is a lazy attempt at one.

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

300g for a Commander tag is not too much, regardless of color. If you take into account inflation from when Commander tags first became available, they should actually cost more than 300g now.

Seeing that ANet also is giving us advance warning of the price increase, I think it is more than fair.

Agree on the inflation point. Though with the amount of excess gold in play, even 300g doesn’t quite cut it in my book.

However I feel that the Blue should have been increased to 300g while the other colors be EARNED through some kind of color specific task. Making them all just 300g is not only a cheap cash grab (AGAIN) but it also plays into the hands of people with a lot of gold and/or cash to throw at them. It has no direct correlation with skill and/or experience at something.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

Whoever is in charge of Anet over there is out of touch with their own game. The employees that do play should speak out against this “feature”, which is really a gold sink and blatant cash grab. So much potential wasted on making WvW and PvE encounters better.

Posted by: Covis.6037

Covis.6037

300 gold is way too much for it. WvW players already get least gold income (considering u will use food buffs all the time.).

Posted by: TheMaskedGamer.5708

TheMaskedGamer.5708

Anet is basically charging the community for a feature the community wanted put into the game to help large groups and events organize. They’ve taken a highly requested idea and spun it around as a gold sink.

Charging gold for a colored tag designed to help promote oragization, split large groups (zergs) and promote tactics (something WvW is severely lacking) is an outrage. It can be compared to charging players gold to use map chat, a tool used to organize groups and for tactics, much like the commander tag.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/2djnv8/interview_with_devon_carver_commander_tag_will_be/

Honestly, 300 gold is nothing if you decide to spend maybe $65 dollars on gems.

Posted by: Hayashi.3416

Hayashi.3416

WvW players are ok, some can actually turn a profit off it. WvW commanders are an entirely different story, every single defended tower takes at least 40 silver to bring down, and gives what… 3 silver to the commander?

And this change doesn’t hit the players, but the commanders.

Posted by: Orangensaft.7139

Orangensaft.7139

Honestly, 300 gold is nothing if you decide to spend maybe $65 dollars on gems.

why $65
$50 alone is already 356 at the moment

I’m split between frustration on the wasted 100G on my second tag and consolation that I can now run T6 Dry Top on my other alts.

[…]

no worries you get refunded for multiple commandertags

We Glitched Out Of All [MAPS]
26x lvl 80 Characters
Most fabulous Character: http://i.imgur.com/5JtcBI1.jpg?1

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

I’m ok with it. There might be some great commanders that don’t have the cash for the tag but i see it as the majority of serious world vs world guilds & World Boss guilds will pitch in money to get their 3-5 best people colored tags to lead during WvW/WBoss

And you know what’s going to be the best part with that? Many of us will think less of them just because of their color. I mean, PvE commanders has always been in a bad spot (omg tag is for WvW, PvE commander noob!) and now that will spill over to WvW as well. It doesnt matter if “serious” guilds help their commander.

Its quite interesting that a game actually manage to force rasiscm on you, lol.

Good work Anet!

Posted by: meh.6784

meh.6784

no worries you get refunded for multiple commandertags

You don’t, you get refunded iff you have 4 or more tags. If you have 2 or 3 you get the same treatment anyone who will buy one tag now gets.

Except people who have bought 2 or 3 have paid full price without even being able to choose the color.

Posted by: Phantasmal.5631

Phantasmal.5631

Would love the tags to be cheaper and as some people have suggested, add WvW Badges of HOnor. Lessen the karma train badges earned at EoTM and up the WvW badges earned since it is so small. EoTM is a karma train and/or leveling up train. No one dares defend and badges fall like rain. It’s PvDoor at it’s finest.

By including WvW badges, it at least adds some difficulty in earning it and requires time spent in EoTM or WvW. Let’s face it, what event in PvE actually needs different colored tags? Triple Trouble? Nope. Tequatl? Nope.

Dry Top? Possibly. It would make it easier to follow your desired commander since there are so many events there. If so, make it cost a TON of Geodes in PvE since Geodes drop way more and much faster than Badges of Honor in any form of WvW or EoTM.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Its a good change, 300 isn’t much, its absolutely good enough to stop players with no WvW experience to become way too simple Commanders, because would you waste 300g just to hav that blue hat symbol on you if you basically never play enough Wvw to have any experience about it?? I doubt that.

Actually, the gold barrier is the least effective against non-WvW players. There are people that can earn this in less than a week – though definitely not by playing WvW. And there are already lot of people that bought commander tags just because they didn’t really have nothing better to do with their money, without caring at all about commanding in WvW or PvE. If you think they won’t buy more colors now, you are naive. Real WvW commanders, however, will find it harder to find enough gold without needing to resort to non-WvW activities.

In short, this is more likely to stop players with WvW commanding experience, than those without.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: justkoh.4073

justkoh.4073

They’re trying to keep the tag relevant as a gold sink but the way they’re implementing it really sucks.

I’m concerned that this tactic will become more widespread. Community makes a request for some feature which should have been there all along, feature is added but A-net takes the opportunity to jack prices up to “modern day levels”.