Achievements leader boards. So many 90%.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Blackanthem.1603

Blackanthem.1603

So I was on the main website and decided to look at my achievement points and how they rank up against other people in my different guilds and friend list and the world in general when I noticed that it said I was top 90% and thought “Hmm, that must mean I’m pretty high up there” being that I have a bit more than 13k AP I’d believe that’s a decent thought. Then I looked at the other people’s AP that were also 90%. And it looked like basically everyone that played on a semi-regular or even spurt basis is top 90%. I looked around on different filters and found that everyone ranging from about 3050 AP to about 22550 was top 90%. That is a big gap. In that whole range of 19500 AP, everyone is considered the same and that just doesn’t seem right to me. I was wondering what it would take to do like they did in GW1 and expand the leaderboard top scorers or at least go from 10% increments to something more accurate. Or maybe put all the people who have played under a certain amount in a different category all together. Or split the top 90% into it’s own separate section. Something to set the people playing the game a few months apart from the people who have been playing consistently for the entire life of the game that just don’t happen to be in the top 1000 people. I don’t know if anyone else really cares about this at all, but I’d like to see it sometime. Maybe after HoT releases and isn’t so busy. Thanks!

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

One more reason the boards are pointless

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

/yawn
Welcome to “statistics” and outliers.
If I had infinite money and time, I could just Agent of Entropy grind my way to the top of the leader boards. But there’s no amount of time or money to make that worth it.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

Lots of new free accounts with close to 0 AP will cause the percentage to shift.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Turamarth.3248

Turamarth.3248

/yawn
If I had infinite money and time, I could just Agent of Entropy grind my way to the top of the leader boards. But there’s no amount of time or money to make that worth it.

Agent of Entropy is capped at 250 ap.

Brandar – Kodash [DE]
[SPQR]

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Yah, they could more finely sort out the numbers.

It does sort of hint at a large number of people who bought and then never got more than a few achieve points before they quit. Might be kind of interesting if someone was able to use that information to crunch some population numbers.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Kirnale.5914

Kirnale.5914

I would like to see real numbers. Even if I am around 10000.

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

The problem is there are too many players. with too few AP.
I just checked my friend list and from 3073 to 21955 are all in the 90% range, 1722 is in the 80%, and 506 AP is already in 50% lol

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

/yawn

Agent of Entropy is capped at 250 ap.

[Righteous indignation at my play experience being capped, etc etc]

Still not worth fussing over AP, except for some of those sweet, sweet skins.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: MauricioCezar.2673

MauricioCezar.2673

Tbh, in means of leaderboards competition, whats the importance out of the top 1k? =P

I fighted my way over a lot to reach on the “Leaderboards” 1k NA, never cared for my position past 1k, cause being in the position 15468 rd just really don’t matter imho.

Posted by: SRoode.7318

SRoode.7318

I just checked my friend list and from 3073 to 21955 are all in the 90% range, 1722 is in the 80%, and 506 AP is already in 50% lol

Now, if I worked for Anet, this stat is key and worth a ton. People join, play, and most (and 506AP for 50% is a big tell) quit. BTW, they know this. What I am still trying to figure out is what is their game plan to fix it? I have not seen anything in the last year to make people want to stay with this game. I stay because this is my only game and that’s it (I’m a bit older).

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Now, if I worked for Anet, this stat is key and worth a ton. People join, play, and most (and 506AP for 50% is a big tell) quit. BTW, they know this. What I am still trying to figure out is what is their game plan to fix it? I have not seen anything in the last year to make people want to stay with this game. I stay because this is my only game and that’s it (I’m a bit older).

Maybe these numbers are not unusual for an MMO. Look at WoW. Think about how many millions have ever played that game over the years and how many play it now (around 5 million the last I read). They’ve had literally millions buy, play for a while and quit. ANet said they don’t have trouble retaining players and that statement might be in context of what is the normal retention rate.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Orangensaft.7139

Orangensaft.7139

i think for the top 10% they should do 1% steps at least

We Glitched Out Of All [MAPS]
26x lvl 80 Characters
Most fabulous Character: http://i.imgur.com/5JtcBI1.jpg?1

SRoode.7318

Yes, but this game was supposed to be different. In the beginning, it really was. There were special events, you got (extra gifts) mailed to you for buying in the store, the drops were much better too. The game was really alive 2 years ago. Then the Living Story was introduced, and in the end, all life was sucked out of this game. All the Devs were probably forced to work on this, and the rest (the majority) of the game suffered. I bought the expansion, and I will try to play it. To be honest, I did not like the Beta, but I’m only one man.

Posted by: Coelho Nat.4697

Coelho Nat.4697

This large range for the 10% top players is probably due to the huge number of players who have very few AP, specially after the f2p.
It is common for me to have more AP than all my party together, and I am not top 100 or even close to.

SRoode.7318

It was like this before f2p.

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

One more reason the boards are pointless

the board is not pointles, that dumb promille system or however it was called again they use for the leaderboard is pointless.

And its pointless that the leaderboards shows you only 1000 positions.
By the amount of players we have, a good leaderboard system should at least show up to 10000 positions and everyone that is out of the 10000s simply shouldn’t be shown in the list, not every with an uninteresting number and % behind, that tells you absolutely nothing, where you are exactly.

Its also pointless, that we have to go onto a website just to see our leaderboard positions.. thats somethign that should get integrated into the game UI, so that when we log in and see our login character select screen, that we there also see then the EXACT position of our leaderbord rank… and if we raised or falled since the last log in and how much.

If they could integrate this finally into the game, then woudl be the achievement leaderboard, wvw lesaer board and pvp leaderboard alot more useful and interesting.

I don’t know, what can be so difficult to show us the infos of the leaderboards also ingame from an ingame integrated UI.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: Good Tofu.9376

Good Tofu.9376

Stat tracking is broken.

I have over 600+ arena wins in PvP, two full class champion titles and enough extra wins for a third, and yet the stat tracker only acknowledges that I have “90 ranked+unranked arena wins.”

This is mathematically impossible as each champion title alone requires 150 unique arena wins.

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

If you arent top 1000 its meaningless anyway. Also 29 of my accounts have around 100 or less AP, so I help dragging the top 90% down :p

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

(edited by Malediktus.9250)

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

It’s the way leaderboards work. In a golf tournament if you have 10 people tied at 4th place, the next person isn’t in 5th place. They are in 15th place. Because there are so many people tied in spots, it creates this disparity.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Coulter.2315

Coulter.2315

I hope HoT brings with it at least 8.5k AP xD Those 27k Radiants are BEAUTIFUL (points to the art team).

Posted by: Silmar Alech.4305

Silmar Alech.4305

I find the numbers in the leaderboards interesting by themselves. Read them like this:

• 90% of all accounts have less than about 3700 AP
  • 50% of all accounts have less than about 700 AP
  • 40% of all accounts have less than about 470 AP
  • 30% of all accounts have less than about 250 AP
  • 20% of all accounts have less than about 130 AP

(the numbers were like this also well before f2p)

How long does it take to get these amounts of AP?

• you get 130 AP in about 10 hours
  • you get 250 AP in about 3 days
  • you get 470 AP in about 1-2 weeks
  • you get 700 AP in about 1-2 months
  • you get 3700 AP in about half a year, up to 1 year

That means the median play time is about 1-2 months (median means: 50% play more, 50% play less than 1-2 months)!

• 30% of all people who buy GW2 don’t play for more than one week!
  • 20% of all people who buy GW2 don’t actually play it. They install, create a character, look around, and forget about it!
  • Only 10% of all people who buy GW2 play more than half a year.

Another fun situation:
Some weeks ago, a fellow guild member looked at the leaderboards like you and asked himself (aloud in Teamspeak) what it takes to be a hardcore gamer. He considered himself and our guild long-term players, but somewhat casual. He wondered how much more than himself a hardcore gamer would play to count as hardcore gamer.

I told him the above figures and said to him: we are the hardcore gamers! You are the hardcore gamer! Yes, you! 90% of all players have less than 3700 AP. So tell me, how many gamers have less than your 17000 AP? What do you think? 98% perhaps? Or even 99%? You are among the 1-2% of all GW2 players with the highest AP, which means you are among the 1-2% of all GW2 players who have the longest playtime and probably played through every aspect of the game not once, but many times. We all are hardcore (our main guild members have well above 10000 AP). And he was very surprised, but agreed in the end.

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

The thing is banned accounts do not get excluded from the leaderboard. So all the gold sellers, botters, trial accounts, otherwise banned accounts etc ruin the leaderboard below the top 1000

Also defining hardcore that way is useless. GW2 has very few hardcore players because the low difficulty does not appeal to them. Just because you are in top 90% doesnt mean you are hardcore. Some of the most hardcore players have very low AP because they restrict themselves to things like soloing/speedclearing dungeons, pvp or WvW which wont give much AP on itself.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

(edited by Malediktus.9250)

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

We all are hardcore (our main guild members have well above 10000 AP). And he was very surprised, but agreed in the end.

Interesting, I never thought in looking at that.
I just went to the leader board to check it and in my guild our top 60 members have over 10k AP and our top 172 are in the “90%” range from a total of 242 members.

We really need to change at least the 90% range to have a scale of 1 instead of 10 to the leaderboard mean anything, or even better rank the top 10000 instead of just top 1000 as suggested in this topic already.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

Here the distribution from the leaderboard for my guild. Just for some context, my guild is near 500 people and we kick everybody that wasn’t online in the last 3 months. We currently have maybe 30 people that never connected in the last 1 or 2 months. So we have mostly active players and we don’t have F2P players.

We got 1 player at 0% (1 AP)
We got 4 players at 20% (99 @ 135 AP)
We got 6 players at 30% (161 @ 243 AP)
We got 2 players at 40% (286 @ 347)
12 at 50% (428 @ 656 AP)
16 at 60% (715 @ 989 AP)
52 at 70% (993 @ 1553 AP)
around 90 at 80% (1573 @ 3014 AP)
The remaining 280 are at 90% (3073+ AP)

It’s fair to say that 30% of all players that bought the game quit it really quickly or never played it. Around 20% reached level 80 and then quit. The remaining 50% constitute the vast majority of active player.

It doesn’t really surprise me. I have around 10 games installed on my computer. I didn’t even touched half of them yet for several months, 2-3 other I played them for a couples of hours. I think it’s pretty much the same thing for every game.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Yes, but this game was supposed to be different. In the beginning, it really was. There were special events, you got (extra gifts) mailed to you for buying in the store, the drops were much better too. The game was really alive 2 years ago. Then the Living Story was introduced, and in the end, all life was sucked out of this game. All the Devs were probably forced to work on this, and the rest (the majority) of the game suffered. I bought the expansion, and I will try to play it. To be honest, I did not like the Beta, but I’m only one man.

This game IS different. But it’s still a game. It’s like saying Tennis is the same thing as golf. They’re both sports and neither of them has the viewship of the NFL but they are different. Even the whole Living World thing was different from what you get in most MMOs.

The fact is there are people who really enjoyed the Living World…and I’m one of them. I don’t think it sucked the life out of the game. And I don’t think the game is doing particularly badly for a game that’s 3 years old that never had an expansion. In fact, I think it’s doing well.

The problem isn’t this game. The problem is every other game. The person who just plays one game and that’s it is probably the exception to the rule. People are so used to new and shiny. And HoT will be new and Shiny and a bunch of people will buy it, play it and leave, leaving the loyal and dedicated players to carry on.

By the way, unlike you, I loved the HoT beta. Did you play long enough to get the glider and the bouncing mushrooms unlocked?