Ascended Armor's Concept Art posted

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

http://kekai-k.tumblr.com/post/75104279902/gw2-ascended-armor-concepts

The artist Kekai Kotaki has posted on his tumblr his concept art for Ascended Armor.

Nice opportunity to compare the artwork with the in-game models, or to see the initial dye colors envisioned for them.

Posted by: Harvest.2506

Harvest.2506

Its too bad not everyone know how to dye it before generating a preview, the ones you see on google look horrible.

Attachments:

Posted by: Aenesthesia.1697

Aenesthesia.1697

they are still awful!

Posted by: Nat.4029

Nat.4029

Its too bad not everyone know how to dye it before generating a preview, the ones you see on google look horrible.

This looks nice. But that heavy helm looks awful. I guess that’s why you aren’t showing it.

Valar Morghulis

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Squid helm, imo this is what ascended players look like in that armor :

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2738/4432131487_26bec1f1df.jpg

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

Harvest.2506

The helm kind of feel like its based off of the Celestrials from Marvel comics. if that’s the case I’m glad it turned out like this rather than Galactus, but I can see how any mix and match can still look better.

Attachments:

Posted by: Grevender.9235

Grevender.9235

why humans male light armors are always disappointing me?

Posted by: kidkilowat.5932

kidkilowat.5932

Why, in a game focused on vanity progression, are 95% of the skins so ugly?

“The light at the end of the tunnel is a train” Justin Trosper

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

So to you they are ugly but not to every one its not so much about being the better or worst looking its about being different looking then any thing else in the game. It give ppl more chose of how they want to look. If it was the best looking every one would look the same but every one looks different so there is no best and will never be a best. I like how the light armor looks on male.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: Nat.4029

Nat.4029

Are the inner workings of the ascended armor always white, or can they be dyed too?

Valar Morghulis

Posted by: Korossive.7085

Korossive.7085

Good point. Let’s add ascended armor and make progression a vertical grind. Now ugly skins problem solved.

Coming up: New grade! Upper Ascended armor – obsoletes your plain Ascended armor (needs crafting to 600 to be useful again).

No dragons, no Cantha/Elona, no bug fixes.

Posted by: Gaebriel.3754

Gaebriel.3754

I guess I’m one of the few that actually thinks the Ascended armours look great! Though it depends a lot on the style of your character, the heavy helmet wouldn’t fit mine either. Though like all things, I guess it’s in the eye of the beholder. For example, I think the often seen heavy named exotic helmet and shoulders are horrible!

It’s nice to see that the Ascended armour has been translated quite faithfully from the concept art into the game!

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

The artist Kekai Kotaki has posted on his tumblr his concept art for Ascended Armor.

Nice opportunity to compare the artwork with the in-game models, or to see the initial dye colors envisioned for them.

Those actually look surprisingly bad for Kekai’s work. They just don;t have that flare his other work has. :I

Posted by: Hybarf Tics.2048

Hybarf Tics.2048

Are you serious about your question?
It’s easy enough, the 5% that does look good are in the store but you have to spill the beans to get them.

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

The best question, which remains unanswered a year and half later.

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

Harvest.2506

Are the inner workings of the ascended armor always white, or can they be dyed too?

you can dye the inners i just like celestial white cause with the patina gold it gives it that European Royal look.

Posted by: Kaizer.7135

Kaizer.7135

Concept art looks sexy imo, but it looks nothing like the in-game models. Even the shape of the armors aren’t the same.

kidkilowat.5932

Are you serious about your question?
It’s easy enough, the 5% that does look good are in the store but you have to spill the beans to get them.

Yes, I am quite serious and I am also aware that “ugly” is totally subjective, but come on. IMO, most of the armor in this game just isn’t appealing on the character. As far as the gem store sets, most of those are bad too.

I have played many mmo’s, and most of them had more appealing armor (not neccessarily skimpy) than this game, it really bums me out.

Posted by: Judge Banks.9018

Judge Banks.9018

Posted by: Bread.7516

Bread.7516

(copy pasta from my other post)
If you look closely the rendering team was unable to copy the details of the concept art and when it comes to aesthetics the minor details DO matter.

Heavy armor (Female)
- helmet proportion is very wrong
- unable to copy the fur on shoulder and upper back (Huge blow to the design)
- cloth on neck is wrong, so are the size of the coins/buttons
- right arm cloth seems separate to cloth on neck (they translated it into a plate of armor)
- right arm coins are wrong, left arm spike and rings proportion is wrong (refer to – concept art and compare with forearm)
- left arm cloth is gone
- Bicep upper plate is wrong, under cloth/straps are also wrong
- glove/forearm cloth is completely wrong cloth/straps AND proportion, spike and rings should extend to edge of plate
- plate on pants do not join on the plate on the boots
- pants supposed to show more plate, less cloth underneath (proportions)
- belt too thick gives illusion of fat hipped characters. also the coins are wrong but the belt is just an overall disaster
- foot mesh is just completely wrong

So what happened? I assume they reused some of the meshes of other armors. The armor set is supposed to show a theme and unity throughout each piece (think – same under cloth and plates), they failed to do that as each separate piece sort of had a mind of its own.

Other armor pieces all suffer from the same mistakes on proportion and details which says a lot (lol light armor shoulders). So other usable pieces that are supposed to look good were just destroyed.

The result was an unedited armor, a prototype, a draft – same to an article written by separate people with no final editing

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

Congrats on understanding colours (not sarcasm)!

That is honestly one of the big problems, people look at screenshots that others have taken using preview and go ‘eww that’s hideous’. It’s not the armour that looks bad, it’s the person who took the image’s complete lack of understanding when it comes to colour.

There are unfortunately a lot of people running around in game with disgustingly coloured armour that mismatches dreadfully. There’s nothing we can do to fix it though :/

Posted by: E Tan.7385

E Tan.7385

ascended armor, like 80% of the armor in this game are just awfully designed, no inspiration, poor charisma, or bad modeling ( just look at the GW1 mesmer light armor you can have in the hall of monument… your character look as huge as a norn with that, when if should be a close-fitting cloth. )
Also, look at games like vindictus – blade and souls – GW1 where many armor have are very good looking..

Also, GW2 have another huge problem with “long robe” when your character is running, it totaly deform that, so it look terribad

too many wrong things with the various armor look in that game.

In this game you dont hesitate between many awesome skin, you pick the less ugly one… :/

“we leave the grind to other MMOs.”
Mike Obrien
Legen – Wait for It – dary joke

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Not necessarily ugly, but definitely lacking in some variety. Also some armour proportions could be tweaked.

Edit: some links that might be useful in discussion: http://www.gw2armorgallery.com/ , http://www.gw2armor.com/

(edited by CureForLiving.5360)

kidkilowat.5932

Not necessarily ugly, but definitely lacking in some variety. Also some armour proportions could be tweaked.

Edit: some links that might be useful in discussion: http://www.gw2armorgallery.com/ , http://www.gw2armor.com/

I look at those galleries constantly trying to find cool combos to almost no avail. As mentioned above, games like Vindictus and Blade and Soul have SUCH better looking armor – yet this game is supposed to be all about horizontal (vanity/skin) progression. It makes me sad because there are many things I love about the game but I struggle to get attached to my characters when I can hardly stand the sight of them.

Posted by: TerminalMontage.5693

TerminalMontage.5693

These look awesome.

Posted by: IAMANDLOVE.3095

IAMANDLOVE.3095

i am sorry but that armor is just ugly!

Posted by: sarasvatri.6871

sarasvatri.6871

Love seeing stuff like this. I think the translation was pretty good- people saying it looks “nothing” like the in game versions are nuts.

While I have esthetic issues with a lot of armors there are enough that catch my fancy. Ascended heavy is one of my favorites, minus that ugly helmet. Carapace heavy is also great, minus the skirt. NO MORE SKIRTS!

Posted by: MissSinfully.2478

MissSinfully.2478

Love seeing stuff like this. I think the translation was pretty good- people saying it looks “nothing” like the in game versions are nuts.

While I have esthetic issues with a lot of armors there are enough that catch my fancy. Ascended heavy is one of my favorites, minus that ugly helmet. Carapace heavy is also great, minus the skirt. NO MORE SKIRTS!

But skirts are great for peeking feeling feminine!

MissSinfully
Sonyanna
Dragonhunter

Posted by: Mallis.4295

Mallis.4295

Meanwhile at leystone heavy chest being fantastic but the skirt is so godawful. There’s already a bajillion plate sets with skirts make more that are legplates.