Balance between male and female.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Alasia.9502

Alasia.9502

The balance between male and female characters is not there. We have strong female characters, and that’s great, as well as a good support for the LGBTQ community, but how about the male characters? I would love to see some development, a bit of bromance and maybe even a gay couple amongst the different races.

Females: Eir, Zojja, Caithe, Taimi, Marjory, Kasmeer, Rox, Anise, Jenna, Pale Tree, Faolain, Scarlet and Keil.

Males: Rytlock, Logan, Trahearn, Braham, Canach and Evon.

These are the key characters we have now. I may have missed some but yeah…

I wouldn’t count the Pale Tree. She’s the “mother” of Sylvari, and logically, ain’t no daddy who’s gonna give birth to a millions kids okay. For all we know, Pale Tree has been pollenized by many other male flowers and trees or something.

If one were to look at the active categories of female and male then we’d have:

1. Females: Marjory, Kasmeer, Taimi, Eir, Zojja, Jenna, Anise, Caithe, and Rox. Not counting Faolain and Keil because they are not actively in the story and Faolain was only mentioned as a memory.
  2. Males: Trahearn, Canach, Logan, Rytlock, Braham. Add some ACTIVE characters of the story if you like. No, dead characters do not count.

Now, @kimeekat.2548 while you say that Anet did a good thing, and I somewhat agree with you, I also somewhat agree with the OP, but not because I want to see more male characters. I want to see Marjory and Kasmeer (for example) as more independent characters and not the mushy lovers I have seen in the last few chapters (imho it’s too much). The female characters imho have not been given the treatment that they should be given. I haven’t read the books so I will not touch Jenna’s character, but I will go on to say that Rox can be a behemoth, Taimi can make behemoths, but ain’t no behemoth seen.

As for the male characters, they did not receive the limelight at all imho. Rytlock will be coming in HoTs, but Logan has become stale, Trahearn (where is the development?), Canach (the only male character to be developed so far), Braham (do you even develop your character bruh?)

“An ill-fated love.”

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

Now that I think about it, it’s kind of funny that there’s more gay relationships in this game than interracial ones (I can’t think of any of the latter, actually, unless they actually go through with Braham/Rox).

Honestly, Marjory and Kasmeer’s relationship has always been ham-handed, and that’s without getting into any issues with how it began (Even before they were in a relationship, working for Marjory was the only thing keeping Kasmeer from being homeless, and I shouldn’t have to spell out the issues with that scenario. I’m sure whoever wrote for them thought it was romantic or something, but comes off pretty creepy).

Also Logan’s sad kitten for the queen is the most pathetic thing in this game, I swear to God.

(edited by Hyper Cutter.9376)

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

I thought Logan and Queen Jenna had a thing? Just not openly. I think they both love each other, but try to put duty before them self’s. Most of the time ay Logan?

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Menaki.6329

Menaki.6329

My first character in this game has a female human noble background and I fell in love to Lord Faren during the personal story. I didn’t know anything about the Guildwars story before so I still have hoped that one day my character will have an affair with Lord Faren. Something like in mass effect, your character makes the decision: yes or no.
The kasmeer/Majory-story I have found awkward. Not because of the same-sex-couple-story, but rather of the big hammer “look at this” like Alasia said it’s too much.

[KILL] – Jade Quarry

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

I don’t see how this is a relationship. I’ve never seen them interact romantically. Ever.

It’s a chaste relationship really. They both love each other, but they can’t be seen interacting romantically because Logan is a commoner. That type of relationship would be considered impropriate/scandalous considering Jennah’s status as queen, especially since she hasn’t created or named an heir to the throne, and that sort of connection could be used by Caudecus and the Ministry in their ongoing power struggle with the Queen.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Kellach%27s_Attack

Queen Jennah: I never doubted you for an instant, Advocate. Kryta has no finer heroes than you and Captain Thackeray.
Player: Speaking of Captain Thackeray… it doesn’t bother you that he’s going to Lion’s Arch?
Queen Jennah: I’m worried, I’ll admit. Caithe has never been trustworthy in the best of times, and lately… please, tell me you’ll watch over him?
Player: You know that you could stop him, right? One word from you, and he’d stay.
Queen Jennah: No, Advocate. I have enough servants — I want a partner. Logan must be free to make his own decisions. I made such a mistake once before. I won’t make it again.

Alasia.9502

Now that I think about it, it’s kind of funny that there’s more gay relationships in this game than interracial ones (I can’t think of any of the latter, actually, unless they actually go through with Braham/Rox).

Honestly, Marjory and Kasmeer’s relationship has always been ham-handed, and that’s without getting into any issues with how it began (Even before they were in a relationship, working for Marjory was the only thing keeping Kasmeer from being homeless, and I shouldn’t have to spell out the issues with that scenario. I’m sure whoever wrote for them thought it was romantic or something, but comes off pretty creepy).

Also Logan’s sad kitten for the queen is the most pathetic thing in this game, I swear to God.

I love you for the last sentence xD <3

“An ill-fated love.”

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I love you for the last sentence xD <3

That’s a chaste, platonic love? Right? Because I don’t want to hear about it in Season 3.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Aeowia.7214

Aeowia.7214

Balance? It’s called… balance? And what about the skritt?
Why has to be everything a reflection of our sick minded real world?
Can’t all that be forgotten once and for all?

[FV] Fearless Vanguard, The Jade Quarry

Posted by: Zadex.9437

Zadex.9437

There’s a male/male couple in the Sylvari personal story.

Whom you never hear or see again afterwards, or never even know about if you don’t pick that personal story. Meanwhile, there are two female homosexual couples who are very important to the story, and one widowed lesbian Charr in Diessa Plateau whom you can talk to to learn her story.

I’m not one to shrilly demand that Anet create an important gay male npc, but a little love would be nice…

Rox and Braham shipper here lol. Nevertheless who here believes lesbians characters are easy to implement in stories or games than gays?

raises hand I certainly think that, because it always seems like any game that does include same-sex relationships plays it safe by only allowing lesbian relationships. ~.~

People seem to be ignoring that the game’s biggest romance is Rytlock/Logan.

(Also Jennah/Anise is a thing.)

I would applaud Anet if they actually had the balls to make Rytlock/Logan a thing, because it’s certainly more interesting than the eternal limbo that Logan and Jennah are stuck in.

(Much like Rytlock/Logan, Jennah/Anise is only a thing in people’s heads.)

Writing certain stories shouldn’t be done purely because of showing a small part of the community that Anet has “balls”. The female characters that are heavily implied to be homosexual that are important to the story are not important to the story because they’re homosexual. They’re important because of the backstories and decisions they make that writers of the game write. They might as well both married to charr, it wouldn’t detract from the part of their relationship that’s actually important, you can be friends without being lesbians.

Posted by: Many.8419

Many.8419

Balance? It’s called… balance? And what about the skritt?
Why has to be everything a reflection of our sick minded real world?
Can’t all that be forgotten once and for all?

skritt is a race not a gender

Posted by: cocowoushi.7150

cocowoushi.7150

I can’t say much for the other girls Kasmeer and Majory. Their relationship felt forced in my opinion similar to Korra and Asami.

lmao get the hell out of here, that ship was planned WAY in advance by the creators and the hints were so obvious after season 2. Just because it wasn’t a smooth course doesn’t mean it was forced, it means it was REALISTIC.

How many countless movies/games do a hetero pair suddenly fall in love!!! The crisis is over and GUESS WHAT I LIKE YOU! I might have just met you but I love you!!!!

Some people will call that forced (and it might be.)
Maybe the character/s were too shy/stessed/occupied prior to the victory.
Maybe they shouldn’t be held to the same romantic standards as others; what about Demiromantic or Grey-Romantic people who are very selective about who they care about?
What about people who fall in love easily?
You can’t say none of these aren’t possible because they ARE possible.

Just because it’s a non-hetero couple doesn’t mean it’s any different.

Posted by: Casia.4281

Casia.4281

I did find it funny Braham is the only male member of Destiny’s edge 2.0
Whats Frostbite?

its even more noticeable if your are a female pc. Quotas are dumb. but when you line up and its 5 to 1 it looks funny.

cocowoushi.7150

Whats Frostbite?

its even more noticeable if your are a female pc. Quotas are dumb. but when you line up and its 5 to 1 it looks funny.

Welcome to the world that female gamers have been living in for decades.

I can just imagine how frustrating it must be for Non-binary players, who get next to zero representation.

Posted by: Arshay Duskbrow.1306

Arshay Duskbrow.1306

Whats Frostbite?

Canach.

Posted by: tacticalevilnoodlefox.5694

tacticalevilnoodlefox.5694

Every time I see a topic like this, it reminds me of the studies that showed women who talk for 30% to 50% of a discussion are perceived as completely dominating the conversation. This is one game out of the plethora of games out there that doesn’t act like the traditional 13-25 year old straight white male is its only audience and makes an effort to show traditionally underrepresented groups in positions of power. I promise, we can handle seeing the traditional script of 1 woman to 4 men flipped. It’s the same reason why Sailor Moon and Tyler Perry are successful.

I’m wary of threads like these because they are usually couched as arguments for equality when really what ends up argued is that minorities do not deserve to have the spotlight. Because that’s “pandering”. But when we pander to the straight males all the time it’s not pandering just… the natural state of things.

I’m so sorry, but because you make logical sense and refute most of the arguments in this thread with said logic you’re going to get completely ignored and they’re not even going to bother reading it let alone trying to reply to it.

My condolences.

I not only read kimeekat’s post. I +1’d it. And yes: as far as I could tell, its right on all points.

The genders actually are balanced. But people perceive this wrongly because of their own ways of seeing the world. And claims of wanting balance are really being used as a proxy for a desire to not lose privilege.

The problem isn’t with the people who agree with it already reading it, it’s with the people who would argue against it either reading it and ignoring it or not reading it because ’lolz SJW" as has already been admitted.

Fact is this argument has been done before and it didn’t get anywhere then either. It’s already been stated there are plenty of games that feature an almost exclusivly male cast with one token female love interest. It’s already been stated that forced romances aren’t unique to queer relationships and most movies and games have them in spades. Nothing new is being said and as far as I can tell nothing new is being learned.

Some of you want more male characters and hetero relationships? There’s a whole sea of them to pick from. Go to a gamestore, blindfold yourself, throw a dart. Chances are very good you’ll hit a game with either one or both of those requirements. Or an employee.

Otherwise let me have my one out of very few games with more noticable female heros and queer relationships thank you very much.

Casia.4281

Whats Frostbite?

I can just imagine how frustrating it must be for Non-binary players, who get next to zero representation.

I have never in my life felt the need to play a trans character in game to represent myself.
That is not how or why people play games. They don’t need to be represented at all.

Also there has been ample female player choice for decades, in the vast majority of games. nevermind games like this with create your own character.

cocowoushi.7150

Whats Frostbite?

I have never in my life felt the need to play a trans character in game to represent myself.
That is not how or why people play games. They don’t need to be represented at all.

Also there has been ample female player choice for decades, in the vast majority of games. nevermind games like this with create your own character.

I’m glad you feel this way. I have quite a number of trans/non-binary friends who don’t feel the same way. It’s also my understanding that some people have a strong connection to characters/games they can relate to. That’s not always the case, but I know it is for some people.

I’m not sure I would call it a “vast majority” when it is clearly not the majority. But if I’m incorrect, I’d love to see the list; I could always use more games to play.

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

It seems we are in an era where the media is trying to inject a lot of portrayals of same sex relationships into everything: Movies, television shows, comics and also games. This seems to be going hand in hand with a cultural shift, where it is becoming more and more accepted (all be it at an embarrassingly slow pace).

It has a habit of feeling a bit heavy handed or forced though, in my opinion. Writers tend to stumble and fall in their efforts to include such depictions, and it can often feel like they are including “token-characters”. Sometimes it can even feel like they are undermining the very credibility of their own setting, in order to conform to modern political correctness.

It should be noted that we have seen some decent attempts at portraying same sex relationships in games, such as in some of Bioware’s titles. But more often than not, the writing can be a bit clumsy. It feels like “including same sex couples in games”, is more of a trendy thing to do, rather than an honest acceptance of something that to me, should not be special at all.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Posted by: SenorDomino.2405

SenorDomino.2405

Whats Frostbite?

This. I don’t get the representation hysteria at all, it’s one big witch hunt really. The quotas being demanded by angry ideologues have a very negative and intimidating impact on devs. And they are never satisfied. So many projects have been censored and stripped because of fear of these people, and those who don’t play along often get smeared as bigoted.

Inb4 “we are not the government so when we threaten and harass devs we are not censoring them”, there are literally devs saying kitten like “We apologize for the imagery we shared earlier” after sharing artwork from their own game.

Posted by: Lazuli.2098

Lazuli.2098

Just because it’s a non-hetero couple doesn’t mean it’s any less boring or irrelevant to the story.

Posted by: Brutalistik.6473

Brutalistik.6473

I can’t say much for the other girls Kasmeer and Majory. Their relationship felt forced in my opinion similar to Korra and Asami.

lmao get the hell out of here, that ship was planned WAY in advance by the creators and the hints were so obvious after season 2. Just because it wasn’t a smooth course doesn’t mean it was forced, it means it was REALISTIC.

How many countless movies/games do a hetero pair suddenly fall in love!!! The crisis is over and GUESS WHAT I LIKE YOU! I might have just met you but I love you!!!!

Some people will call that forced (and it might be.)
Maybe the character/s were too shy/stessed/occupied prior to the victory.
Maybe they shouldn’t be held to the same romantic standards as others; what about Demiromantic or Grey-Romantic people who are very selective about who they care about?
What about people who fall in love easily?
You can’t say none of these aren’t possible because they ARE possible.

It might of been planned, but the romance done it that show was horrible. Only Bolin and Varrick was decent and it didn’t take their character development away unlike Mako or Korra. Asami well was just there to be there besides being a engineer specialist. It got nothing to do with hetero or non-hetero couples. It was the story and how the writers presented it. Who knows maybe the potential of that show was gutted down due to Nickelodeon stipulations. However it just shows lesbians are still easy to implement in a story than gays. Not that it’s a bad thing, but it’s redundant if you ask me.

Pineapples

Casia.4281

the only games which “representation” does matter in the slightest is RPGs. the role player nature of the game does tend to actually at a bit of player interaction with the characters.
This can go both ways of course. A chance to play as something and someone else. The entire point of roleplaying…
A paladin one day, a “kitten” thief the next..

But this is also where the “what games have you been playing?” comes in. the VAST majority of RPGs do let you build your own character, as I just noted, right from DnD.
You would be harder pressed to find an RPG that DOESN’T.

I won’t lie. The Witcher 3 coming up. not a fan of Geralt. and not looking forward to spending hours playing as him. I don’t feel an open world experience is a good place to have a singular main character like that. Wasn’t a super fan of Dishonored. but as a tighter story, it works.
But in a large open world game, going around doing things. I simply will not have the same emotional ties as “my Shepard”, or “my Revan”, or “my warden” or “my dragonborn”, etc. “my Geralt” will always just be Geralt.

“representation” doesn’t mean a thing in FPS, Platformers, etc though.
Mario, Freeman, doomguy, are complete non-characters.

(edited by Casia.4281)

cocowoushi.7150

It might of been planned, but the romance done it that show was horrible. Only Bolin and Varrick was decent and it didn’t take their character development away unlike Mako or Korra. Asami well was just there to be there besides being a engineer specialist. It got nothing to do with hetero or non-hetero couples. It was the story and how the writers presented it. Who knows maybe the potential of that show was gutted down due to Nickelodeon stipulations. However it just shows lesbians are still easy to implement in a story than gays. Not that it’s a bad thing, but it’s redundant if you ask me.

(This is wildly off topic but I agree, the relationships in LoK were nowhere near as good and fluid as ATLA, probably because of the shorter run. And many of them were bad, but I’d argue that Korra and Asami’s relationship was the one the did well. It was complicated and matured over the seasons, which I felt was more satisfying. Bolin’s character took a terrible blow in development because of Korra/Mako being the main focus. Then putting him an abusive relationship wasn’t great. I’m glad he got his development back in later seasons. I’m also so glad Zhu Li stood up to Varric, though I think she forgave him too easily, but she clearly loved him. I think it’s a shame to claim Asami is just the non-bender mechanic. She is very supportive, selfless, and has complex relationships with many characters- especially her father. She’s strong and independent and accomplished. Believe me, I didn’t like her at first either but she soon changed mind as she developed as a character.)

Back on topic, I think the problem is that people think they have to include a minority and then shower it with sparkles and flashing lights and go LOOK LOOK WHAT WE HAVE!! When that’s just not the right way to do it. Minorities are like any other character and should be just as deep, but they just have different backgrounds/aspects about them. Having representation doesn’t mean there has to be a “hysteria” to meet some quota. Just write the character and add it as something about them, otherwise people get the impression that they need to be treated as unicorn tears when really just having the character there, that someone can relate to, is usually enough. In a story like GW2, these aspects shouldn’t define them as characters. (In other stories their difference might be the focus, but I don’t think that’s the case here.)

Posted by: stale.9785

stale.9785

The problem isn’t that Jory/Kas are gay. The problem is that there is nothing to them aside from their relationship. It’s intrusive, adds absolutely nothing to the plot, and is the single dimension of the characters.

Think about the people you know in real life. Now, how many of them have a blatant need to push their relationship on everyone they talk to, during every single conversation?

It’s possible to write relationships in such a way that they are present, without detracting from the story. Anet has managed this marvelously with meathead and the cat lady. While I personally don’t care at all about anything in the LS, I recognise that meathead and the cat lady have been companions for a long while, with mutual sympathy. It’s implied, without beating me over the head with it.

Kas/Jory, on the otherhand, come off as written by a 13yo who’s self consciously aware that they’re writing about lesbians. “Better hit them over the head with this, every second word. We have lesbians – aren’t we progressive!”

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Yes they do seem to have a tendency to hit you over the head with it, I agree. If you compare this with the way Dorrian is written in Dragon Age 3, it is quite a contrast. Dorrian is a homosexual character, but he is an interesting character regardless of his sexuality. It is pretty clear what his interests are, but the game does not beat you over the head with it. He doesn’t constantly remind you that he’s interested in men, and only brings it up if you specifically ask him about it. The game focuses on him as a character.

I felt the kiss scene between Jory and Kas, after defeating Scarlet, was very forced. And I do get this impression that they are trying very hard to take any opportunity to remind us of their relationship. It didn’t come across as a natural way in which two people in a relationship act towards each other.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Posted by: stale.9785

stale.9785

Sera, as well. Or the pining of Blackwall for Vivienne. The subtle thing going between Cullen and Josephine. DA does subtle. Anet, not so much.

Logan is the only example I can find of believable behaviour for a person in a relationship. He rarely mentions it, though it clearly directs his actions. Everyone is aware of it, but he doesn’t spend every second telling everybody who’ll glance at him how amazing Jenna is.

The suggestion upthread of Meathead/Cat lady, and the leopard form thing. That’s downright bioware writing there. I would love to see that. Conflict, soul searching, actual meaningful character development. It would be a nice change.

Posted by: Brutalistik.6473

Brutalistik.6473

The problem isn’t that Jory/Kas are gay. The problem is that there is nothing to them aside from their relationship. It’s intrusive, adds absolutely nothing to the plot, and is the single dimension of the characters.

Think about the people you know in real life. Now, how many of them have a blatant need to push their relationship on everyone they talk to, during every single conversation?

It’s possible to write relationships in such a way that they are present, without detracting from the story. Anet has managed this marvelously with meathead and the cat lady. While I personally don’t care at all about anything in the LS, I recognise that meathead and the cat lady have been companions for a long while, with mutual sympathy. It’s implied, without beating me over the head with it.

Kas/Jory, on the otherhand, come off as written by a 13yo who’s self consciously aware that they’re writing about lesbians. “Better hit them over the head with this, every second word. We have lesbians – aren’t we progressive!”

and that’s why I ship Rox x Braham because it can work now. Those two started out as allies, became friends after Braham’s rejection and gotten closer during the Scarlet event. Rox stopped reporting to Rytlock to chill with Braham more and that means a lot since she sacrificed her goal to be a part of Rytlock’s group. Those two are iconic to the GW2 franchise and always recognized they’re together. Nevertheless I hope to see more character development for those two in the next expansion.

Back on topic if by chance they do bring in more male characters and one of the new faces develops a gay relationship. I hope it’s done right and built up properly compared to Kas x Jory. If they didn’t implement that kiss during the Scarlet event, but actually in the bar for celebration where’s Kas expressing her feelings to Majory. Then I can reconsider shipping them because after all the events they’ve been through.

To make a little jester…all I can say about that kiss is that Kasmeer placed a love spell on Majory so that she’ll love no one else, but her. Seems legit right?

Pineapples

Alasia.9502

I don’t think all the above was the main purpose of the post, it was not about the relationship, it was more about the character development. There are more female character developments than male, the focus is too much on the ladies.

As I mentioned before, the only male character to have been given some kind of development was Canach, all the other male character have no development whatsoever. Moreover, Kasmeer and Marjory are in the spotlight more than any other female character I’ve seen even. Imho, it’s too much, and I somewhat agree with Brutalistik about them.

“An ill-fated love.”