Mounts [merged]

Mounts [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

AH YES, the glorious physics of the elder scrolls horses

LOL! Was this screenshot taken in Oblivion? Oh my, that definitely never happened to me.

nah, the screencap was from skyrim

See? I specifically said Oblivion, not Skyrim. Anyway…

There was a leak that shows evidence of Mounts coming as a form of Mastery but those could be rumors so take it with the grain of salt.

I certainly would prefer that over gliding, ley-lines, tubes, mushrooms and what not.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

AH YES, the glorious physics of the elder scrolls horses

LOL! Was this screenshot taken in Oblivion? Oh my, that definitely never happened to me.

nah, the screencap was from skyrim

See? I specifically said Oblivion, not Skyrim. Anyway…

Yes, my bad, the Oblivion horses were obviously much more graceful

Attachments:

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

The “Maintain 100% swiftness on something other than Daredevil or Druid” rotations are simply an annoyance to tolerate getting from Point A to Point B, and will not be missed.

Agreed!
..even though that’s what started my path to support warrior and building Howler. :P

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Evon Skyfyre.9673

Evon Skyfyre.9673

Add them or don’t, why ride when you can fly?

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: TheQuickFox.3826

TheQuickFox.3826

Dead horse, meet stick.

[…]

Maybe, just maybe, we will be able to ride dead horses this year.

Attachments:

Ascalon will prevail!

GW Wiki user page  |  GW2 Wiki user page

(edited by TheQuickFox.3826)

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Jinath.1298

Jinath.1298

No mounts … ever. This is Guild Wars…not Club Med.

There are plenty of mounts in World of Warcraft. So, if that is your fancy, go there.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Frostbite.3289

Frostbite.3289

When will guild wars 2 add mounts to this game it would help a lot with travel and make the game more fun on top of the fun we have already playing this game just think if you were able to ride a dragon or a horse it would be so cool

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Mounts-merged/

Mounts are unnecessary with the maps that we have right now. There are waypoints, movement skills, and swiftness that players can take advantage of.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: mXz.4512

mXz.4512

Don’t forget ‘Teleport to Friend’, the ultimate QoL when you want others to do the work for you and you just port to them, hah.

Yes I’m a vet, yes I’m salty. Problem?

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

Alchemy….~facedesks~

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

It may be in about 5-8 months.

Good luck.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Must be Thursday.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Samnang.1879

Samnang.1879

Next expansion
No horse or dragon, but even cooler… a kangaroo looking thing.

Please nerf bag types instead of class skills!

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Next expansion
No horse or dragon, but even cooler… a kangaroo looking thing.

i think those were the hydras… form Crystal desert ^^

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Ngeluz.4860

Ngeluz.4860

To me its important that “IF” Anet bring mount, they bring them with more that just a cool cosmetic way to travel on foot… it needs a purpose… I want a GW2 reason why they are there now and not before… something similar but with a bit of GW2 flavor to it, maybe extend your profession powers, just like another equip weapon is a good example?

Also it be good if it comes in an expansion player can get “profession specific mounts” maybe lock behind some quest or story…etc. Example: Necro create its mounts like he does Minions…. Rangers Summons his either from plants or animals…Ele summons an Elemental… Engi get inside a suit or golem… Guardian Summons his like he summons his weapons… Revenants call his mount form the mist…etc, etc…

Point is, having generic mount just because with no special reason beyond cosmetic… will make it look bad… But if you take your players through the game, show there is a story and reason…you give them their very own mount that reflects in part that players character choices ( in the example its base on profession but its just a example) it will feel more natural and eventually will become another core of gameplay like the gliders did.

I know that there will be players against it and some of their reasons and worries are very legit if Anet care to confirm them by playing other MMO out there… but that’s part of MMO’s there will be always does that resist change.
I for one will embrace it if it comes to it, like I have in the past… Sometimes does changes I don’t like but that’s just part of life and in turn it reflects in mmo’s so why don’t we wait and see…
Lets have faith in Anet for one’s…after all, this are just Leaks and its my experience that a lot of things could change even hours before its release (I still miss how in a promo for GW2 before release, Necro use to be able to move around in a close area near your down body and fight as a ghost or rez one self, but that got chage at release because it was consider OP at that time). One can never have any real expectation on does Leaks… I think we need to play GW2 and wait to see what comes next!

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

I didn’t read the entire thread, but how do you think mounts would work in WvW?

• No mounts like the HoT gliding?
  • Mounts that poof away in less than a second when combat is occurs, like in WoW?
Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Ngeluz.4860

Ngeluz.4860

I didn’t read the entire thread, but how do you think mounts would work in WvW?

• No mounts like the HoT gliding?
  • Mounts that poof away in less than a second when combat is occurs, like in WoW?

Hmm this is actually a valid thing to consider… IF they decide to add this to WvW or PvP…

Im guessing the easiest way around this is, what they did with the gliding and underwater content from PvP maps…soooo yeah, remove it maybe?
I remember Shroud when it first came out could “snowfall” and Ride the Lightning could travel in mid-air…but because of the “eternal struggle balancing” it against other classes (mostly in PvP) they took it out because it was OP… I think they remove or change other cool stuff besides that… I just happened to remember because I jump to my death so many times after that LOL

I think Anet would need to sit down with their PvP GW2 Team and discuss it with help from PvP or WvW player Gurus suggestion, also look at older (Aion for gliding) or newer (Black Desert Online for mounted combat) title that has this type of gaming core feature in their game. Or do what other Game Company do talk with other gaming company Devs and discuss all the tech and balancing issues to see how to implement it in GW2 engine… that’s what some writers do when writing their books, they compare notes to a certain degree, maybe?

This is me guessing of course and my opinion does not reflect anything official… as its base on my experience in my past job as a mediator between companies and Officials to share common problems of their products to come with solutions that would benefit Both (usually by applying 2 or more ideas/suggestions into one solution). SO, in the gaming industry I don’t know if this is even possible but it be great if they could, Im sure they are a lot of really good MMO veteran people out there or in the community that Anet could reach out! There are a lot of players in GW2 that are hidden devs from other games that enjoy playing this game for fun. Anyway we can only hope for the best in that regard!

But you have a good 2 valid point that need to be consider at some point…as they will be brought up constantly as the game grows.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Kelly.7019

Kelly.7019

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Mounts-merged/

Mounts are unnecessary with the maps that we have right now. There are waypoints, movement skills, and swiftness that players can take advantage of.

from a speculation reddit post ( don’t know how accurate they are) if Elona or new xpac maps are much more huuuge i can see mounts being a gemstore cash cow sorta thing. and all the minioholics would become mountoholics too, kinda like glideroholics. I’d say thought they should be perma swiftness just slightly faster then running, not a huge diff and be banned from PVP and WVW.

Yo, Ho, all together, raise the colors high,
Yo, Ho, thieves and beggars, never shall we die

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

There should be gliding, jumping mushrooms and all the other masteries in WvW. It is a shame and IMO, a big part of its downfall, that the new map didn’t have gliding at all.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: rohan king of gods.4238

rohan king of gods.4238

I can’t believe it mounts in the game how about also fix PvE skills?

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

Personally speaking:
I’m still against the classic idea of mounts like in WoW. I’ve said before I had no problems with critter movement, if A-net would implemented it like the old mounts of gw1.

To the selfproclaimed victors in this thread:
Do not say everything is great. It shows a lot of things seem to be implemented to keep Guild Wars 2 viable, against the wishes of the old guard in gw2. Or it means we will get a comparable mechanic as in the original Guild Wars, which could be a very interesting application of Old Lore, and a complete contradiction to your interpretations.

To all:

• If mounts would be added it will be more useless clutter,
  • If you need to buy ’m or buy abilities in the gem shop ppl will drop the game over p2w,
  • If they give any benefits…. Ppl left the game over the watchwork pick and the unbound tools… What do you think what will happen of you get a critter with combat moves and special abilities through the TP?
  • If everyone will get the mount it’s just a waste unless it’s a movement ability like the lava chutes, the shooting seeds or gliding….

A possible Guild wars 1 mechanic: JUNUNDU

I expect we’ll be able to train Junundu-use, if things are actually moving towards the place mentioned in some socalled leaks.

Junundu are localized life forms, only living in 1 specific habitat
It will not be a mount for the whole of Tyria… It will not give speed buffs. And most likely we’ll be travelling inside them as we were a long time ago… and barfed out on arrival… landing in a big puddle of wurm vomit.

So: No! You’ll not be riding on top…

In the end: We’ll all be pukes nothing more nothing less… I doubt we should worry about this and it would really show the ppl in this thread the importance of 36 pages of posts…

Junundu Link GuildWarsWiki

Small reply:
@Logos.1306: (Owner of the former post above this, now seemingly removed.)

You already lost. We will get mounts, and it is awesome!

Maybe, maybe not, maybe something else then I suggest, or you think you know…..

And I hope we will be able to use them on old maps becasue they are awesome and Anet will make more money that way, as I am more likely to buy mounts skins if I can use them everywhere.

I hope the game system will be able to accept the added load and not when we have mounts in a map had the amount of mounts removed in players, and maps fail due to mount-“love” We do NOT need mounts in old maps, cause we have a Waypoint system…

So stop the mount hate it is pointless now.

Until we see what happens and how it’s implemented we have no clue, NOTHING has been announced, only leaked, supposedly. Until we get ANY form of confirmation, this whole assumption of having won is utterly pointless …..

Final Words

Old Guild wars Lore was: Only the enemies you faced had mounts, necrid horsemen, wolfrider stone summit and some more…. Just sayin’…

And it’s not a competition, if ppl really care too much or hate too much and do not buy the expansion b’cause of it, it will kill the game and we will both lose, haters and lovers alike.

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

(edited by PaxTheGreatOne.9472)

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Logos.1306

Logos.1306

I hope the game system will be able to accept the added load and not when we have mounts in a map had the amount of mounts removed in players, and maps fail due to mount-“love” We do NOT need mounts in old maps, cause we have a Waypoint system…

what If I like mounts for fun and immersion and I dont care about fast travel? Why do you think you know what all players want? Why mount haters act like you are the only true players?
its like saying we dont need new armors because we have outfit system. Waypoints have nothing to do here.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: flog.3485

flog.3485

what If I like mounts for fun and immersion and I dont care about fast travel? Why do you think you know what all players want? Why mount haters act like you are the only true players?
its like saying we dont need new armors because we have outfit system. Waypoints have nothing to do here.

Of course fast travel aka waypoints is really important to the game. What will happen if, in core maps for example, you decide to use your mount and you can’t get fast enough to a part of the map where an event spawn, because by the time you get there all the other players will be done with event/boss ? Mounts and immersion as you claim is only really relevant in games where traditional quests are implemented. I am not against mounts per se personally but its addition has to be supported by the game design of maps. And core tyria was not designed with mounts in mind in the first place.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

If you like mounts ingame and dont care about fast travel, we have a broom , an ascender and a magic carpet They should cater perfectly to your needs…

Guild Wars Lore with regard to mounts:
Only the enemies you faced had mounts, necrid horsemen, wolfrider stone summit and some more…. Just sayin’… The usage of mounts was associated with evil… and frowned upon by the civilized races….

Due to mounts being a lore breaker I doubt mounts would help my immersion.
I am not interested in what all other people want to be honest, I have enough problems stating my opinion… and my motivation.

• Humans didn’t use mounts… (well all 3 sets and the expansion…)
  • Norn didn’t use mounts (EotN expansion),
  • Asura were developing a portal network (EotN)
  • Charr didn’t use mounts (Prophecies) Except maybe the enourmous trained siege devourers (EotN), but they were enemies at the time as well. SO here could be a notable point… Then again Charr were the brutal -enemy- force destroying Ascalon and taking over the acalonian lands….
  • dwarves (non stone summit) didn’t use mounts as far as I can remember. Even when they underwent the ritual and turned to stone, they all went to fight on foot. (only a fading amount of dwarves still remains… Ogden Stonehealer (now member of the Priory) being 1 of them.
  • Sylvari didn’t exist (GW2 only)

I do notice we have found a lot of improvements to the basic method of travel, being walking and running

• Usage of airships, boats, submarines, helicopters, land vehicles, making the old mount pretty obsolete.
  • Speed boostes ranging from +5% to +33% and in some cases short burst of truly fast movement through superspeed.
  • Speed boost mushrooms catering to above mentioned swiftness, removing the need for a mount to provide it.
  • Jumping mushrooms allow travelling up vertically and interesting angles,
  • Jump Pads also for travelling up vertically and interesting angles,
  • Explosive Launch: see Jump Pads
  • Thermal Propulsion: The Lava Chutes for travelling large distances
  • Oakheart’s Reach: The jungle seeds allowing a lot of freedom in movement
  • Gliding, Updrafts and Ley Line Gliding
  • Waypoints & Portals… Hope the Asura can keep the network alive…

edit added dwarves in the race list

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

(edited by PaxTheGreatOne.9472)

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: rdfaye.4368

rdfaye.4368

If you like mounts ingame and dont care about fast travel, we have a broom , an ascender and a magic carpet They should cater perfectly to your needs…

Guild Wars Lore with regard to mounts:
Only the enemies you faced had mounts, necrid horsemen, wolfrider stone summit and some more…. Just sayin’… The usage of mounts was associated with evil… and frowned upon by the civilized races….

Due to mounts being a lore breaker I doubt mounts would help my immersion.
I am not interested in what all other people want to be honest, I have enough problems stating my opinion… and my motivation.

• Humans didn’t use mounts… (well all 3 sets and the expansion…)
  • Norn didn’t use mounts (EotN expansion),
  • Asura were developing a portal network (EotN)
  • Charr didn’t use mounts (Prophecies) Except maybe the enourmous trained siege devourers (EotN), but they were enemies at the time as well. SO here could be a notable point… Then again Charr were the brutal -enemy- force destroying Ascalon and taking over the acalonian lands….
  • Sylvari didn’t exist (GW2 only)

I do notice we have found a lot of improvements to the basic method of travel, being walking and running

• Usage of airships, boats, submarines, helicopters, land vehicles, making the old mount pretty obsolete.
  • Speed boostes ranging from +5% to +33% and in some cases short burst of truly fast movement through superspeed.
  • Speed boost mushrooms catering to above mentioned swiftness, removing the need for a mount to provide it.
  • Jumping mushrooms allow travelling up vertically and interesting angles,
  • Jump Pads also for travelling up vertically and interesting angles,
  • Explosive Launch: see Jump Pads
  • Thermal Propulsion: The Lava Chutes for travelling large distances
  • Oakheart’s Reach: The jungle seeds allowing a lot of freedom in movement
  • Gliding, Updrafts and Ley Line Gliding
  • Waypoints & Portals… Hope the Asura can keep the network alive…

This X 1,000!!!! (Thank you for typing all of these points.)

One of the reasons I fell in love with GW2 is there are NO MOUNTS!! No massive herd beast blocking the gorgeous Tyrian landscape when I waypoint into a map. No harnessed monster sitting on a rich gathering node, blocking anyone else from accessing it (because the PC owner has gone AFK, of course). No additional lag in busy maps. The game hides minus when the population gets too high. What will happen if mounts are added? You will no longer able to see ANYTHING in LA or other popular areas. I’ve played that game and didn’t really enjoy it.

Then I found GW2! Waypoints and gliding—what else do you need? Gliding is the most noncompetitive fun I have ever had in a game!!!!! Thank you Anet for that!! A huge no to mounts here!

Mounts [merged]

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I think the mounts gained through Masteries will be like other (with the exception of Gliding) movement Masteries, and confined to the new expansion maps.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

I wasn’t certain what to expect when we got gliding but am a fan of it now. It was a good concept that added a new dimension to the game. Am a fan of the more vertical maps and being able to glide between levels fits the world quite well. I hope that the concept is expended upon and we get airel combat in all three game modes in the future. The new Oakheart mastery that allows the “spidey” travel via the vine pulls likewise expands and compliments this form of travel. If we were to get mounts I would hope that they too compliment versus replace these forms of travel. Leave the mounts to be ground or underground travel and leave the airspace to gliders.

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I will vote to oppose mounts if gliding is removed.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Fragon.7043

Fragon.7043

rdfaye.4368

Well on the opposite of you sir, i came to guild wars 2 because of how well its being created ,from gameplay to core design. Yet i’m one of the biggest players suffering of the lack of this particular game mechanic(mounts).

at the beginning i hated the game especially because of the hole that this left on my vision towards the content,yet i somehow forced my way through and discovered how much devs are nailing it unlike other companies even if it got its flaws here and there.

by adding this feature to the game,providing it to hurt everybody’s experience is absolutly an impossible task.but its obviously great to fullfill the desire of lots and lots of players liking the mmo genre.

and basically labeling it to other mmo mounts aspects while we have only leaked images as a proof of their existence is some of the greatest wrong things you’re bringing to this thread.

there is no significant way to make everybody happy,though they need to add new mechanics to the game, making it both evolving and refreshing.

yes you’re meant to either like it or dislike it,and you shall wait till the full release to discover what’s all about it.so for now please stop the emotional outbursts and rather then keeping the outflow of your “Early Dissatisfaction”, you can give constructive arguments. and “Stop Living in the past and get better hopes for the future”.

Good luck & Have Fun

(edited by Fragon.7043)

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Kelly.7019

Kelly.7019

There should be gliding, jumping mushrooms and all the other masteries in WvW. It is a shame and IMO, a big part of its downfall, that the new map didn’t have gliding at all.

Yeah, the new desert map looked like it was designed for gliding! I was so exicted. then i tried to glide and was like WTF!?! i was so dissapointed.

Too bad they can’t figure out a way to code for “no players allowed to glide over walls”, but still allow for shooting, attacking and targeting over walls.

Yo, Ho, all together, raise the colors high,
Yo, Ho, thieves and beggars, never shall we die

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

Mounts are an easy and good way to permanently travel very fast. 100% constant speed is much better than this excuse skills we have to use to get around fast.

I never understood the mount hate in GW anyways. What is so bad about it? It’s another thing we can add to character personalisation and a vast amount RPGs have mounts in some form.

The argument that we have waypoints is null and void. Why not have both? Also there are maps where WPs are far away or contested. I hate to run the whole map by foot in Malchor’s Leap or WvW. Annoying and boring.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: DeanBB.4268

DeanBB.4268

@ProtoGunner

My objections are not functionality-based, but more of clutter-based. Right now, mini’s get turned off if a map gets too crowded. What happens with mounts added to those maps?

Right now, there are 12’ tall, 8’ wide norns sporting 16’ wings that obscure half the screen, when it is already challenging to see things. Now you want to put that on top of an even larger critter?

I’m all for moving faster and giving my dragonhunter more movement options.

Also, don’t expect to see them in WvW. Like gliding, it’ll be an expansion-only item.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: slashlizardy.9167

slashlizardy.9167

What are the chances that mounts are coming in the next expac, and if so, what’s the likelihood they will be available in all the maps (except few instances), just like gliding is?

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Kenneth.7536

Kenneth.7536

The thing that makes Guild Wars /GUILD WARS/ for me is the lack of mounts. Exploring in GW2 is one of the quintessential things for new players – they join, they explore, see the huge map, explore an area and get some rewards for it. They’ll get hooked and explore more, put their time into it by travelling on foot.

The thing with mounts, it kind of kills the idea of putting your time into exploring. If you get like 100% movement boost while on a mount, exploring would be done in a very fast manner and it would lose it’s purpose. To me, exploring in GW2 is fun – yes there are a few areas that annoy the hell out of me *cough*Malchor’s Leap*cough* but the idea of vistas and pois are great. Thing that GW1 never had (love GW1 as well). Of course, there are players who just rush through it all, but as for me, I love seeing all the pois and spend time around them and explore, just like looking at vistas twice or three times, just to see the beauty of this game.

What makes GW2 actually great for me, is, like I said, not having mounts. Anet has done its thing since the release of GW1 and they’ve carried on the principle of not having mounts to GW2, which I personally love. Yes, sometimes I wish I could fly a dragon or ride a moa, but those are not the essential things the game needs. I join the bandwagon of people who are against mounts, beause exploring neccessarily in GW2 don’t need mounts.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Apski.3148

Apski.3148

When mounts are coming to Guild Wars 2, so many player will return to the game, I can guarantee that. So many people says and ANet itself, that we don’t need mounts because we have waypoints? That’s insane! Running place to place is so boring, I would rather just jump on my mount and ride there and being awesome. Guild Wars 2 feels so poor without mounts compared to other mmo’s where are. I know there will be mounts coming lately, I just wanted to tell people that mounts would be really awesome and they are worth to wait.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

well, I’ve seen leaks but won’t comment on that.
All I can say is, if you need mounts to enjoy a game, maybe this isn’t the right game for you. I’m personally on the camp that says “mounts add nothing to the game since we have waypoints” but maybe future maps can be made with mounts in mind, just like the Heart of the Jungle was made with the gliders in mind.

I’m not saying mounts would be a terrible addition, just that with the core game in mind it’d be a waste of resources if they didn’t force necessity for them.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

Yea on specific maps sure, on the maps we have now people would start complaning that them maps be to small we want bigger maps.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: flog.3485

flog.3485

Inb4 players will then complain that mounts are bad because they wanted to participate in an dynamic event and they couldn’t because traversing the maps with mounts only took them too much time.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

I’d love to see someone navigating Draconis Mons on a mount!
Or any of the LS3 maps really. Or any HoT map.

This thing that we have waypoints so mounts aren’t useful is old news. Now we have a lot more than waypoints to get around the maps. Bouncing Mushrooms, Updrafts, Gliding, Ley-line gliding, nuhoch wallows, Thermal Tubes and Oakheart Essences (depends on map) all make navigating the maps much easier than any mount ever would.

If they add mounts then the expansion 2 maps will be boring and flat, in order for them to be useful. I don’t want boring and flat maps.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

If the mount hitbox is identical to a player hitbox and moves 33% faster than a player does at base speed, it can jump like a player and otherwise move like a player, what is the difference from a mounted player and a player?

With this logic I would argue that its impossible to play on HoT and LS maps with Charrs. They are so much bigger than Asura and probably 5x longer when in AWD mode. How can they even move over the terrain?!?!

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Adenin.5973

Adenin.5973

This thing that we have waypoints so mounts aren’t useful is old news. Now we have a lot more than waypoints to get around the maps. Bouncing Mushrooms, Updrafts, Gliding, Ley-line gliding, nuhoch wallows, Thermal Tubes and Oakheart Essences (depends on map) all make navigating the maps much easier than any mount ever would.

If they add mounts then the expansion 2 maps will be boring and flat, in order for them to be useful. I don’t want boring and flat maps.

So you find that the HoT maps are easy to navigate? Are you serious?
Look at all the stuff anet had to recently add to the maps to enable us to travel without waypoints. Look at all the crap that is in those maps that completely breaks the immersion for many players.

Mushrooms that can suddenly catapult you hundreds of meters in the air and that make you invulnerable if you fall down on them.

Magic tunnel systems that teleport or catapult you through the entire map.

Ley line energy flows that are suddenly everywhere and that somehow magically enable you to stay in the air, that stretch through the entire zone and are annoying to look at.

Updrafts that can suddenly be seen everywhere and are ugly to look at.

More and more, some of us, have the feeling that this game is slowly becoming one giant jumping puzzle.

I would rather have an immersive way to travel around the game like a mount. Something that doesn’t destroy the aesthetics of the environment I am playing in. Something that does not enable you to completely skip any content that lies between you and the point where a nuhoch wallow would teleport you.

The HoT maps are a mess. Still beautiful and full of little detail, granted but still a mess to navigate, especially if you are not that familiar with the map. Anet has recognized this after the critique they’ve got after the expansion release.

I think that’s also the reason why they designed the new expansion maps with a completely different approach. The new maps will be wide and open. Easy to navigate, yet not too easy to traverse. Fewer waypoints (a continuing trend) but to compensate for the lack of all the above mentioned ‘crap’ you will get a variety of different and awesome mounts which is in reality an extension of your character and will lead to more character progression and customization.

(edited by Adenin.5973)

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: penguin.6491

penguin.6491

I have a feeling if they add mounts it might not be a ‘anywhere goes’ sort of situation.

Also, I often find when running from WP to WP the itch for running sliiiiightly faster or at least prettier via a mount.

My biggest thought is we have various sorts of vehicles in the lore/world already and it seems silly we’d have these glorius airships but nothing on the ground. Kinda makes me laugh.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Abakk.9176

Abakk.9176

If there was ever a game that was a breath of fresh air compared to other MMO’s, with mounts beeing the absolute last thing it needed, it is this game.

Not even if your jaded boredness tells you otherwise.

Mounts [merged]

Adenin.5973

If there was ever a game that was a breath of fresh air compared to other MMO’s, with mounts beeing the absolute last thing it needed, it is this game.

Who told you we are getting the standard MMO mount?
The new mounts for example will probably have combat mechanics, allow us to jump with them like we previously did with mushrooms etc, allow us maybe to glide or something like that.
They will vary not only in appearance but probably need different masteries and will have different skills. They are a new approach to your standard MMO transport vehicle. They are imo exactly the fresh air this game needs.

Also you’ve made absolute no argument, mentioned no example, gave no explanation that supports/explains your personal opinion.

Mounts [merged]

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I think those expecting standard-MMO mounts with increased speed that will travel anywhere (other than Expansion 2 maps) will be disappointed.

I think the new specific mounts will offer specific features, rather than mounts-do-everything-offered.

I think some areas of the new maps will be gated required special abilities of certain mounts.

And, last but not least, I think there will be lots of lamentations (especially because it won’t be what some are expecting) about the new mechanic, Mounts.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Fragon.7043

Fragon.7043

-The mounts will be released with the new expansion, they’ll have lots of masteries,they’ll have a real purpose,and not just running and being pretty.
-they’ll be actually available only in the new maps.
-the Anets teams will discuss the question of allowing them in the vanilla maps,may be with restrictions,making them only skins to ride for example.
-the idea that vanilla maps way points will be reduced is not to be dismissed.
-the game wasn’t designed for gliders,but its now giving players lots and lots of advantages in the core game,try and dare to say otherwise,so mounts with speedboosts is actually okay.

thats all the information we have right now,the players that want mounts , yes , they’ll be added and you’ll enjoy them better then any other mmo,the guys whining about progress and want to live in the past.

Go Back to GW1

and leave us alone,also bake us a cake.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

Won’t it be faster to just use your blink, leap, rush skills rather than sitting on a mount?

Mounts [merged]

Adenin.5973

Won’t it be faster to just use your blink, leap, rush skills rather than sitting on a mount?

Not every class/build has these movement skills available. No one really knows how fast mounts are and how long you need for mounting/unmounting.

We don’t even know if we will be able to summon them or if we have to pick them up at a certain location. Will they despawn? Will they stay with us after we’ve unmounted or maybe even fight with us?
There are many possibilities with mounts.

Also the new mounts will probably have skills that improve their movement even further.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Abakk.9176

Abakk.9176

Who told you we are getting the standard MMO mount?
The new mounts for example will probably have combat mechanics, allow us to jump with them like we previously did with mushrooms etc, allow us maybe to glide or something like that.
They will vary not only in appearance but probably need different masteries and will have different skills. They are a new approach to your standard MMO transport vehicle. They are imo exactly the fresh air this game needs.

Also you’ve made absolute no argument, mentioned no example, gave no explanation that supports/explains your personal opinion.

There is no ‘new approach’ to standard MMO mounts. Only tacked on excuses to have them anyway, no matter how unneeded they are so some may be temporarily cured of their boredness.

This game solved transportation in several very creative and fun ways. So much that i think it plays a huge part in setting this game apart from many others and gives it a certain enjoyable uniqueness.

Maybe as a gimmick in one or two future maps…. but even then i think that would do injustice to their concept.

Mounts [merged]

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

I’m just going to quote one of my favorite posters signature.

Be careful what you wish for, ANET just might give it to you.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.