Can we have Heroes?

Can we have Heroes?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Puki Man.4068

Puki Man.4068

Really wish Anet would bring in Heroes for GW2 (as per GW1). Heroes would give PvE players more options rather than the open world zergfest that PvE seems to have degenerated to.
Here’s some rules which would help Anet introduce heroes:
- Heroes only allowed in instanced play, Dungeons, Pers story etc.
- If in a Dungeon team each human player can bring a certain number of heroes if a full team of humans cannot be made.
- Players can customize their heroes, buy armor, weapons for them.
- Players have to complete special quests to acquire a certain Hero this would create some great storylines as players begin to collect their heroes, with the storyline woven into the bigger Gw2 story.
Its a win – win for Anet and the PvE players.
Please, please bring back heroes. I will trade mounts and minipets any day for Heroes.

Can we have Heroes?

Posted by: CptAurellian.9537

CptAurellian.9537

Can we have Heroes?

No. For good reasons.

Warning! This post may contain traces of irony, sarcasm and peanuts.

There is no loyalty without betrayal. -Ann Smiley

Can we have Heroes?

Posted by: Dragisnaj.2053

Dragisnaj.2053

sounds good it would make story lines easyer and some hp’s so you dont have to search all the time for players.

And it would be nice to fill maps with them so when you make for example tequatl and you are few on members if each one can go with 4 npcs you can make it even with lack of palyers.

Can we have Heroes?

Posted by: starhunter.6015

starhunter.6015

Hmmm imagine guild heros for WvW. When your guild claims a hero and builds proper schematic. When your guild claims a objective you could place your hero down instead of the supervisor/lord.

Can we have Heroes?

Posted by: Alga.6498

Alga.6498

I think this would only work in PvE as it did in GW1, not PvP, WvW (GvG/Alliance Battle etc.)

I agree, I would aswell have our own characters as our partymembers, so the ’heroes’ will be our own characters.
For an example.

My main, mesmer.
Therefore my Warrior, Guardian, Ranger, Elementalist etc. is the ’heroes’/AIs.

I support this but I doubt we’ll ever get this in GW2,

|GW1 2008~|GW2 BETA player|Separatist|Nightmare Court|Ebonhawke|Ascalon|White Mantle|71 characters|

Can we have Heroes?

Posted by: UlvenSkyblade.9830

UlvenSkyblade.9830

Honestly I think heroes could do good for dungeons, since now it is very hard to find a party to run them. And you miss out on a lot of fun content if you can’t run them. But for this small location where it would do a lot of good it is probably not worth putting in the hours of making it.

As for personal story i doubt it is needed since you can already solo it.

Can we have Heroes?

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

No. Because an AI cannot handle the combat system of the game. This isn’t a passive system like the one in GW1 where making an AI work was easy work.

Imagine doing the Graveling Barrows part of AC with Heroes, or the bomb part in CM Path 2, or the lasers at CoE, or the bombs at CoF. The encounters that make an AI useless are so many, there are probably more mechanics in the game that an AI cannot perform than those that it can.

Can we have Heroes?

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

I’ve actually always been an advocate of this idea. I think it can really help draw in and retain PvE players by giving them something significant to invest.

Can we have Heroes?

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I hope not.

Can we have Heroes?

Posted by: kharmin.7683

kharmin.7683

I usually find heroes with LFG

Can we have Heroes?

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

I usually find heroes with LFG

And quite often the AI of those heroes are not as good as the GW1 ones.

Can we have Heroes?

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

Adding bots to fill in player spots in an mmo is pretty much them saying that the game is dead.

Can we have Heroes?

Posted by: Game of Bones.8975

Game of Bones.8975

I would love to, but they want to promote group play.

There would also be the issue of lag and slowing the servers down. They already eliminate minis when the region is full before shuffling servers.

I solo a majority of the time and a couple heroes/mercs would help greatly, but I’m not holding my breath.

Can we have Heroes?

Posted by: Evon Skyfyre.9673

Evon Skyfyre.9673

Gw1 was a Co-Op, Gw2 is an MMO. Heroes won’t work.

Can we have Heroes?

Posted by: Fractured.3928

Fractured.3928

Is everyone here forgetting that The Old Republic uses a similar system? And despite some peoples feelings about it, it is very much alive and kicking.

I would highly enjoy a system like this, but I don’t know about the open world. Events can get packed as is. You have to realize, adding “Heroes” into the game would essentially double the amount of allies in battle.

So while it might be awesome if you have 1 or 2 around for an event. For the events that have 20-30 people, you’re looking at 40-60 then.

They might be able to implement a system where they go away if the player threshold hits a certain amount for each event. Add some RP flare to why they leave.

Can we have Heroes?

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

Heroes were one of the reasons why I couldn’t get into GW1 (also, instanced maps, yuck). If I wanted to play with NPCs, I would play single player games. I want to play with real people in MMOs.

Can we have Heroes?

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Is everyone here forgetting that The Old Republic uses a similar system?

SWTOR is a very static game while GW2 is more movement and action based game.

Can we have Heroes?

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

Really wish Anet would bring in Heroes for GW2 (as per GW1). Heroes would give PvE players more options rather than the open world zergfest that PvE seems to have degenerated to.
Here’s some rules which would help Anet introduce heroes:
- Heroes only allowed in instanced play, Dungeons, Pers story etc.
- If in a Dungeon team each human player can bring a certain number of heroes if a full team of humans cannot be made.
- Players can customize their heroes, buy armor, weapons for them.
- Players have to complete special quests to acquire a certain Hero this would create some great storylines as players begin to collect their heroes, with the storyline woven into the bigger Gw2 story.
Its a win – win for Anet and the PvE players.
Please, please bring back heroes. I will trade mounts and minipets any day for Heroes.

If by zergfest u mean the social aspects of gw2 as an mmo then im fine with that and i dont want to see single player systems being added to a healthy mmo.

Can we have Heroes?

Posted by: crashburntoo.7431

crashburntoo.7431

I believe GW1 was all instanced other than towns, so heroes fit there (game type also, see above comments). Naturally, there are pros and cons to either, and it likely won’t be worth the time to implement heroes on older material. With that said, I’m personally a fan, due to my play style.

OP indicated only instanced material would use heroes, which I agree with. Perhaps base story line (incl expansions and LS) would allow the player to take one or two heroes along with them. Opting out of taking a hero could provide additional rewards and/or achievements for those that like that challenge.

The AI was brought up as well, and it’s true that it wouldn’t fit in certain mechanics. Personally, I wouldn’t mind having a damage-bot, heal-bot and/or rez-bot along for the journey. That’s less difficult, but would make them useless at certain points.

As for dungeons, that could be tougher. It would take a change in philosophy for that part of the game to embrace solo play with hero support rather than party access only. I’m not against it, necessarily, but it feels cheapened somehow. This is coming from an almost exclusive PvE player that’s only completed 3/8 dungeons along with RL friends, back when they played. While I’d like to access the rewards and material in dungeons, I realize that it wasn’t designed for me on my own. I should go ahead and ask some guildies to guide me through at least once for story and MP.

If this were to become available as an option, it would increase accessibility to the associated content while maintaining challenges and game play for those that opt out. That doesn’t negate the time/resources to implement, nor does it address the potential lack of “fairness” when certain rewards become more accessible/prominent (see LS1 memory box discussion). I think most of that would come from heroes in dungeons and the potential to solo-farm currencies and buy up all of the rewards.

PS: Some sections of our story come with party characters that are essentially built-in heroes already. Their AI/usefulness is questionable at times, but they are present. Making this type of change to the game may not be as much of a stretch.

Guild: From the Ashes Risen [FENX]
Server: Tarnished Coast

Can we have Heroes?

Posted by: SappFire.5793

SappFire.5793

Sure, why not? But only if it will have fair price. Like 1000 gems per use.
Every work should be paid. Even hero’s.

Can we have Heroes?

Posted by: voltaicbore.8012

voltaicbore.8012

I’m always confused by the “can’t find a group to run dungeons” posts. Maybe it’s the time of day, but I find LFG populated every time I look to do something. Moreover, when LFG is entirely empty (or just doesn’t have what I want), I start a dungeon group and it fills relatively quickly. Often I don’t even wait for it to fill with 5, for easy and popular paths like SE p1.

Heroes? Sounds nice, but I don’t miss them in GW2 for the simple reason that I never played GW1. If anything, I think it will only make it harder for new/terrible players to keep their spot in the dungeon party, if there’s a super easy alternative to carrying that dead weight.

Can we have Heroes?

Posted by: Lyp Sao.1375

Lyp Sao.1375

If anything, I think it will only make it harder for new/terrible players to keep their spot in the dungeon party, if there’s a super easy alternative to carrying that dead weight.

yeah, heroes have a superior reaction time. I love the healers in GW1. They heal before you receive the damage

Don’t fight the other ants
Fight the queens

Can we have Heroes?

Posted by: Silverwing.8750

Silverwing.8750

Great idea, especially for dungeons. It would give us a chance to go at our own pace, and experience the dungeon stories without having to skip cut-scenes to keep up with other players.

Can we have Heroes?

Posted by: DeanBB.4268

DeanBB.4268

Just what we need. More NPC’s watching while we fight everything! :O

Can we have Heroes?

Posted by: Famine.3164

Famine.3164

sounds good it would make story lines easyer

What? Story is kitten easy as it is…

Can we have Heroes?

Posted by: joneirikb.7506

joneirikb.7506

Not a particular fan, but for the sake of argument. The only way I can see this working is to:

• Limit to only dungeons and story instances
  • Henchmen instead of Heroes

Dungeons/Story (Instances) both are story based, and several players that likes playing solo would probably like to have a way of doing those.

For those that doesn’t remember or know them from GW1: Henchmen was premade characters with builds and gear etc, not customizable. This would allow ANet to setup a couple of functional characters, that would help, but likely not out-do another human.

This would also avoid the piles of extra work for them to make customizable heroes, and all the complaints and problems we would have with them etc (You know people would find a bunch of things to complain about…).

They could probably use the Destiny Edge characters for this, so they get a little bit more screen time etc.

Personally, I don’t think this is something ANet really should throw resources at. Other things I find more interesting or desirable.

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
“The objective is to win. The goal is to have fun.”

Can we have Heroes?

Posted by: Killerbot.8645

Killerbot.8645

because pet AI works so well in this game, right?

Can we have Heroes?

Posted by: Altair.8402

Altair.8402

Yeah, no way heroes would work with the state of GW2’s AI, combat, and dungeon mechanics.