Achievement cap [Merged]

Achievement cap [Merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

So, I’ve hit the AP cap for Dailies/Monthlies. I don’t know when it was, but it was sometime recently.

I was really looking forward to getting to the next milestone and finally getting the Hellfire chest piece. I’ve gone through the achievements I still haven’t completed and it appears to me that without significant grinding (offhand weapon master/giant slayer) AND spending more time than I’d like in another game mode, that getting to the next AP tier is impossible. I don’t mind doing achievements and I don’t mind spending time in the other game modes (but in small doses).

WHY do we have a cap on Daily/monthly AP? I’m doing the same things as someone else who is doing dailies and yet I don’t get AP and they do. It’s not my fault that other folks haven’t been playing as long as I have. I’m still going to do the dailies because it’s something to do with my husband and it’s an extra 2g, but I’d like to get the AP from that too.

Additionally, had I not already known there was a cap I’d be very confused because when you complete dailies it still pops up and tells you that you’ve gotten 10 AP when you haven’t.

I know I can’t be alone in wanting the cap raised or just outright removed.

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: Sir Mad.1092

Sir Mad.1092

It’s not my fault that other folks haven’t been playing as long as I have. I’m still going to do the dailies because it’s something to do with my husband and it’s an extra 2g, but I’d like to get the AP from that too.

I think you’ve nailed it here. However, it’s not their fault either.

When you make a MMO, you want to reward old players, but you also don’t want to make it impossible for new players to reach the oldies level. Without that cap, it would be impossible. Also, keep in mind a new player will have to do his dailies for the next 5 years to reach the limit…

That being said, I understand the cap may seem frustrating, and I agree it may be a poor or lazy way of fixing a potential gap between newbies and oldies due to otherwise infinite AP, but heck, if you have a better idea, shout.

Achievement cap [Merged]

khani.4786

Here’s the thing, there are so many old achievements that were from events that will never happen again that a newer player will still never be able to reach where the old players are now. They missed those events and won’t ever have the opportunity to do those and those events are much more AP than 10 from doing dailies every day.

And then, what’s the point of having rewards that are so far beyond even where I am if there’s no way to reach it? Even if I did EVERY single other achievement in the game that is currently available. Gw2 efficiency says I can only reach 32,883AP.

It’s okay to have something in the game that’s indicative of how long you’ve been here and how much you’ve done.

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: Sir Mad.1092

Sir Mad.1092

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying the AP system is working as intended.

If we agree that AP should reflect what you have achieved, then dailies should have never counted in the first place.

You’re right about the retired achievements, but how many AP would that be (honest question)? Can it even compare to the 15k (almost 5 years) from the dailies?

But really, I’m not trying to argue as I also believe the system is flawed to begin with. I just think none of the “fixes” I could imagine (remove the cap / take away the AP from the dailies / whatever) would do more good than bad.

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

They should remove daily AP completly. It was a big mistake to attach AP to them.

And you should see collecting AP as an Iron Man and not a 100m race. It will take time and dedication to reach 30k. 5000 hours since release sounds about right for 30k, 32k+ will take you another 5k hours

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Achievement cap [Merged]

khani.4786

You’re right about the retired achievements, but how many AP would that be (honest question)? Can it even compare to the 15k (almost 5 years) from the dailies?

It is roughly 4700AP from retired achievements. It’s quite a bit.

They should remove daily AP completly. It was a big mistake to attach AP to them.

And you should see collecting AP as an Iron Man and not a 100m race. It will take time and dedication to reach 30k. 5000 hours since release sounds about right for 30k, 32k+ will take you another 5k hours

If they removed the AP from dailies then they would need to rework either when you get achievement chests or greatly increase how much you get from doing things in game.

Time and dedication….how does 9689 hours over 1385 days sound? And I’m at 29,791 AP.

Achievement cap [Merged]

Malediktus.9250

I would settle for removing AP from daily/monthly and doubling all AP from permanent achievements to make up for it. Since there are 17,8k permanent achievements points at the time of posting this, the maximum possible AP would increase by ~5600 AP at the same time.

You did not play efficiently in regards of collecting AP if you have 9689 hours and less than 30k AP. But if your goal is just 30k AP you will easily get it without doing any of the troublesome achievements as soon as Living Story 3 starts.

Achievement cap [Merged]

khani.4786

You did not play efficiently in regards of collecting AP if you have 9689 hours and less than 30k AP. But if you goal is just 30k AP you will easily get it without doing any of the troublesome achievements as soon as Living Story 3 starts.

I missed a bunch of the old achievements because of lack of time or I didn’t feel like doing something. I spent a lot of time doing map completion on 17 or so characters too.

Achievement cap [Merged]

Malediktus.9250

You did not play efficiently in regards of collecting AP if you have 9689 hours and less than 30k AP. But if you goal is just 30k AP you will easily get it without doing any of the troublesome achievements as soon as Living Story 3 starts.

I missed a bunch of the old achievements because of lack of time or I didn’t feel like doing something. I spent a lot of time doing map completion on 17 or so characters too.

Yes, you did 17 map completitions and did not do things you didnt feel like doing. That is exactly what I meant with playing ineffieciently regarding AP collection. Now you pay for it by getting the AP rewards later than the people who focused more on it. I dont see any issue there.
I am not saying this to offend you, but Anet obviously wants the high rewards to be hard to get, otherwise the HoT expansion would have yielded more than ~1700 AP (including doing all the precursor collections, which make up for ~200 AP of it). Many ver hard achievements such as getting gold in certain adventures even only give 1 AP, which is quite sad.

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

Sadly you wont get a reply from Anet on this, this topic has come up over and over again in recent months as more and more people hit the cap, the cap is stupid, and was put in because some players “felt” they had to do them, or couldn’t control themselves so we all got restricted because of it,

Anet have been asked several times to look into this, and on every topic they have ignored us, im with you on this OP I think the cap should be removed, you should not be restricted because someone picked up the game 2 years after you, or because you log in daily and others don’t,

You will hear all these excuses about old AP’s from LS1 etc but at the end of the day the gap is always going to be there, I don’t PvP so someone who does PvP will have more AP than me, but I DONT ask for Anet to cap or remove them AP’s

Caps in a game like this are bad, they serve no purpose other than to make people feel there time is not worth it in game, if the leaderboards are a problem, they should remove them, as they serve no purpose.

Anyway, I know others are in the same boat as the OP, I personally am 128 days out from the cap, when I hit it, im done with the game, there are other big games hitting the market this summer, and I already have friends that have bailed on GW2, I wont have my fun restricted in game, because of others who COULDNT control themselves and felt the need to grind out every single AP there was.

It would be great to get Anet to even acknowledge this, but don’t hold your breath, you maybe better posting it on Reddit, it seems to get noticed more there.

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: Gorani.7205

Gorani.7205

My problem after hitting the daily/monthly cap + 161 Mastery points (I don’t raid) is that there hardly is any “fun” activity left that awards you with a reminder of a steady progression, so I can work on my total APs.
Everything that is left over is “dull work” or “hard grind” or out of my hands to do alone (e.g. Shatter break bar achievement).
My XP gain feels wasted, because the game lacks a way to e.g. infuse Consumables to grant Map bonus instead of XP bonus.

Currently the game lacks the small, recurring reward for veteran players that still are there for fun stuff and have not turned the game into a job.

PS: Does a new player really expect to catch up with a 4th year veteran, knowing that there are historical achievement that will never be back? I have my doubts.

Member of The Guildwars Online Guild [GWO]
Still keeps a volume of Kurzick poems ;)

Achievement cap [Merged]

khani.4786

Yes, because obviously wasting time trying to do Mad King clocktower (when I just couldn’t do it) and trying to get crabgrabber back in the day was such a much more useful way to spend my time than playing the game.

And I’ll agree that 1Ap for getting gold in adventures is quite sad and a whopping 5AP for migraine is also.

Yes, I’ll get to 30k AP with season 3 achievements…provided they’re not all 1AP like they have been doing with the HoT achievements.

But that’s not my point. Why should someone who has been here a long time get no AP for doing dailies when someone else who hasn’t reached this arbitrary cap does get the AP? Shouldn’t the game reward loyalty to the game?

Achievement cap [Merged]

Malediktus.9250

But that’s not my point. Why should someone who has been here a long time get no AP for doing dailies when someone else who hasn’t reached this arbitrary cap does get the AP? Shouldn’t the game reward loyalty to the game?

The game always rewards loyality every time even without free 10 AP for no effort. AP shouldnt be given away like candy for 5min of effort per day.

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Most of the infinitely-repeatedly achievements are capped (notably: salvage/entropy). It’s not that surprising that ANet might want to cap dailies.

Mind you: I want ANet to consider some sort of annual adjustment, especially for dailies. However, I’m okay if they don’t, too.

(full disclosure: I’ll hit the daily cap tomorrow — I was a little too efficient on monthlies + missed a few days due to RL)

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: CaelestiaEmpyrea.2617

CaelestiaEmpyrea.2617

Personally, I’d love it if daily AP never capped, but I have to agree with the reason behind the caps. AP is a reward for doing different, often challenging, things. By the time you hit the daily AP cap, dailies are not different or challenging, they are just something you do. Same with salvaging. Why should we be rewarded for doing the same old thing over and over? It encourages stale play.

Instead, by placing a cap on the reward, the game encourages players to try new things and to revisit old content that was never fully explored. AP is not a guaranteed reward like XP or loot, it is something that has to be earned with deliberate effort. The individual player needs to decide whether or not the reward for getting AP is worth that deliberate effort.

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: Renkencen.6127

Renkencen.6127

Yeah it’s hard to earn more achievements past the cap without resorting into serious grinding toward the exisiting achievements.

I used to have a steady flow of the mystic stones from the rewards but since the cap and HOT, I’m going to run out of them. I used from to make mystic salvage kit and yes know I can buy them but I am NOT going to buy them given to how often I would used it!

Even then some of the current and past achievements are really stuipid to get like the rabbit achievement in the Aurin Basin story, the lazer wall in Aetherblade retreat story in season 1 (I’m not talking about the fractal) and the aether route in Twilight Abor.

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

What they should do is let the Total AP remain as Daily AP + Achievement AP. The leader board should reflect Achievement AP only. Then they can remove the cap on Dailies without making it that much easier for veterans to be the ones on the leader board only just because they religiously do the dailies.

Because no AP is rewarded anymore for doing more than the required Dailies, unlike before, the cap is no longer needed to help curb the desire to do them all for those who must get every AP possible.

The only logical reason for the cap is the leader board and keeping all players at a fair chance of being first.

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I had forgotten about the mystic forge stones. Once you reach that cap your source of these stones will take a hit. Which means your supply of ectos from rares takes a hit too, unless you want to spend gems for these stones if you run out, or wait and hope for a stone from a log in bonus.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: Daddicus.6128

Daddicus.6128

I’ve got 5400 hours in, and only 20k. So, your math is way off.

Achievement cap [Merged]

Daddicus.6128

There is simply no reason for a cap. All that were mentioned above have no basis in reality. A game like this should REWARD their players for staying loyal, not penalize them. They should double the daily AP rewards after a certain point. And triple them after that. Etc.

Achievement cap [Merged]

Just a flesh wound.3589

^

So true.

The game should be looking at ways to both retain and reward its most loyal players. Removing one of the big rewards for logging in daily is not a good idea. It doesn’t benefit the game to remove a reward that has been ongoing for years for the reason given that the payer has been logging in consistently for years.

ANet may give it to you.

Achievement cap [Merged]

Malediktus.9250

I’ve got 5400 hours in, and only 20k. So, your math is way off.

Just because you played ineffiecient in regard to AP or started playing late. I can assure you there are people who have the same or less playtime with thousands of AP more than you.

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: Dark Jericho.8609

Dark Jericho.8609

I agree.

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: King Cephalopod.7942

King Cephalopod.7942

Going to try to hit multiple points.

Daily AP doesn’t require skill, if the cap is to be removed you might as well make all infinitely repeatable achievements grant infinitely acquirable AP and add infinite achievements for harvesting nodes, killing things, hours spent ingame, etc.. The highest AP on the leaderboards is 32766, and assuming they have the daily limit almost half the AP of grinding achievements for years of base game, two living story seasons, and an expansion is just from logging in and doing some menial tasks. Dailies also grant ridiculous AP per day compared to other achievements that take effort or gold. I could see the cap being removed if: the AP was reduced to 1per, and more AP was placed on actual achievements, but they aren’t going to take AP people already have, or: they add enough achievements/modify existing up to a value so daily AP is small by comparison, in which case the cap could be raised to be always <50% of total AP.

There already is a daily login reward, two infinites are unnecessary. Modifications to the existing system could deal with the mystic stone “issue”. The game also has loyalty rewards in the form of character birthday gifts.

If the only (or primary) reason you log in is for daily AP you probably aren’t an AP hunter because you would be grinding for all the nonsense achievements out there as well, so why bother? That’s like the guy who goes to all the clubs at university to get the free snacks in the first 10 minutes then leaves before the real meeting commences: it isn’t “loyalty”. It’s a game, not a job, the rewards for loyalty should be good memories, collectables, and more fun content in the future. AP shouldn’t affect your desire to log in if the game is fun. Daily Orr Forager is neither interesting nor challenging.

A little savagery now and then is relished by the wisest men.
Don’t cry, Signet of Mercy. Others may forget you, but I will always remember.
Our deficiencies may be overcome by practice and self-discipline.

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

It’s not my fault that other folks haven’t been playing as long as I have. I’m still going to do the dailies because it’s something to do with my husband and it’s an extra 2g, but I’d like to get the AP from that too.

I think you’ve nailed it here. However, it’s not their fault either.

When you make a MMO, you want to reward old players, but you also don’t want to make it impossible for new players to reach the oldies level. Without that cap, it would be impossible. Also, keep in mind a new player will have to do his dailies for the next 5 years to reach the limit…

That being said, I understand the cap may seem frustrating, and I agree it may be a poor or lazy way of fixing a potential gap between newbies and oldies due to otherwise infinite AP, but heck, if you have a better idea, shout.

The problem with that argument is that LS1 achievements represents a massive gap. The cap doesn’t actually solve anything.

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

All repeatable achievements need to have a limit, otherwise they’d be disproportionately weighed and trivialize all other achievements— dailies already represent a huge chunk already and considering how easy they are, they should not represent any more.

Besides, even past the limit, they still give 2g now and considering the effort involved, it’s already really good.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: Nika.3946

Nika.3946

I don’t get it , why exactly new players must to reach the oldies level ?
Well , if they played the game, eventually they would get higher AP level too.
It shouldn’t be any AP cap at all . AP rewards should be for all players that are playing this game , especially that some of those rewards , like fire chest , is long time goal.
AP cap is like punishment for active veteran players

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I don’t get it , why exactly new players must to reach the oldies level ?
Well , if they played the game, eventually they would get higher AP level too.
It shouldn’t be any AP cap at all . AP rewards should be for all players that are playing this game , especially that some of those rewards , like fire chest , is long time goal.

While I agree with this, as I’m not terribly competitive and am happy when others do well, the existence of the leaderboards for AP means that something has to slow the front runners enough that others have a chance to get on the boards. To “catch up” as they put it.

I don’t like that this is how it is. I really don’t like how unreachable they made the achievement skins such as Radiant. And I still have almost 5K of daily ap until cap! I’m not staring down the barrel of a loss of steady progress, and won’t for some time.

But so long as it is in any way deemed a competition to advance in AP, they can’t make it winnable only for the players that were there when the AP rewards were first introduced.

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: Ele Lady.6103

Ele Lady.6103

I think the cap is fine, although I may be biased.

With the cap in place, permanent AP is meaningful if you are trying to compete on leaderboards. If you miss a day, you can get it back later. I was in conscript service for 8½ months, thus missing ~150 dailies. As an avid achievement hunter it would hurt me severely if there was no cap on daily points. I am currently at 29,956 points and with the cap in place my total AP potential currently is 30,889 with 94 days before capping out. This will land me in top 150 when I hit it.

So it’s not always the new players that are missing out on dailies. Even vets can miss out days and if daily was not to be capped, even they would never catch up to their true potential.

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: CindyKa.6137

CindyKa.6137

It was never about people catching up. For those who remember it was about those at the top of the leader board coming on forums everyday crying how Anet is forcing them to farm AP 25 hours a day and they couldn’t enjoy the game because Anet was holding them hostage and demanding they do the dailies or else.

And yes the word FORCED to do dailies was used 100’s of times.

(edited by CindyKa.6137)

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

^So true.

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: Ellieanna.5027

Ellieanna.5027

Salvage has a max AP cap.
The Bandit repeatable has a max AP cap.

If it’s repeatable, it does need a cap at some point. 15k is A LOT of AP just from Dailies(Dailies/Monthlies). Right now that is little less then half of what is listed. 15 000, and you only get 10 a day right now. Yes. It does need a cap.

I’m a Moose, a ginger moose even.

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: soke tiger.4389

soke tiger.4389

its very sad that the long term players like myself and many others who played gw2 from beta and gw for many years have limited means to gain more Ap
Not everyone wants to grind WvW or PvP to get a few more points..
not everyone want to play raids, which in my eyes is a complete waste of time.
Don’t even get me started on Fraks…
Anet should really make more content in the way of story lines and start to uncover new areas of the world map.
I would think most players would gladly play new story lines, not just for the Ap but also it breaks the boring monotony of “erm, what should I do in gw2 today”.
I have 8358 hrs over 1386 days… my Ap is 28.500..
I used to play all day/night, now I log in and stand around a bit at Lions, maybe look in my hero for anything to do, then log off …
most of my 20+ guild don’t play anymore, most of my friends list don’t play anymore, 2 other guilds I am connected with, don’t play much anymore.
Its getting harder and harder to find some content which I actually want to play.
Even if we got 1 point for doing all the daily’s, just that would give me interest in playing but at the moment I will just keep logging in , getting my daily chest of nothing and logging out …..
its such a shame the game is going down the pan

Achievement cap [Merged]

Just a flesh wound.3589

If it’s repeatable, it does need a cap at some point. 15k is A LOT of AP just from Dailies(Dailies/Monthlies). Right now that is little less then half of what is listed. 15 000, and you only get 10 a day right now. Yes. It does need a cap.

No. It does not need a cap. You think it should have a cap based on other repeatable AP, but that’s not the same as need.

The cap was put in place after multiple threads appeared on the forum begging for a cap because people were doing hours each day of daily AP grinding. However the reason they were doing all that AP grinding was removed and this also removed that reason for the cap. I think ANet should reconsider the AP cap. It’s part the rewards for doing dailies that has been in place for years and removing it from veterans is penalizing those who have played the most.

ANet may give it to you.

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

A poor comparison at best. Daily is limited to once a day. Salvage can be done hundreds of thousands of times per day.

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

A poor comparison at best. Daily is limited to once a day. Salvage can be done hundreds of thousands of times per day.

At launch, Agent of Entropy had no AP cap. A few people used it to reach over 25k AP in just a few months. Anet quickly capped it (and every other infinitely repeatable achievement) and rolled back the AP of everyone who had exceeded the cap.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

Seriously? That’s ridiculous, how many dozens of thousands of items were they salvaging? Did they do anything else in the game at all?

Anyway back on topic, it does need to be capped. Like others have said it requires no skill to get the dailies, many other achievements that are much more time consuming to complete give fewer AP, and you are already rewarded every day for doing dailies with 2G and 3 spirit shards. You don’t need more AP on top of that for doing something that requires no effort.

That said I do wish ANet would increase the AP you can receive from dailies by giving you more AP if you complete more dailies each day (10 AP for 3 dailies in each game mode, for a max of 30 AP per day if you actually work for it). As a newer player its quite annoying to see that I will have to finish my dailies every day for almost 5 years to max out those AP whereas people who have been playing since the start have capped it in under 3 years because they got extra AP through the now defunct monthly achievements. I don’t want to be on the leaderboards for AP, but I do want to be able to access those skins from the higher AP reward boxes before 2020, and I don’t think that is an unreasonable request.

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I don’t think there’s any need for a cap. I also don’t think there’s any problem with the existence of the cap. The reasons for instituting a max to dailies are weak; the reasons for removing the cap are also weak.

In the long run, it just doesn’t matter that much. People who play the game long enough are going to burn out no matter what ANet does; people playing less than a year are always going to be “behind”.

There are plenty of other quirks in game mechanics that are worth more of our attention… for the long run. (In the short run, yeah, I’m annoyed that I’m not getting the AP.)

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: Rashagar.8349

Rashagar.8349

Tangentially related at best, but do you think people would complain if Anet changed it so that there was a max AP cap for (dailies + monthlies + old event achievements that will never be returning) of, say, 20-25k?

Or, I suppose, would they be legitimate complaints, technically someone always complains.

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

I wouldn’t mind a limit of the sort. But I believe no source should be half of someone’s total AP though.

I think it should increase in the future though. So say, in the far future there’s 100k AP possible, then the limit should be increased.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Achievement cap [Merged]

Malediktus.9250

Tangentially related at best, but do you think people would complain if Anet changed it so that there was a max AP cap for (dailies + monthlies + old event achievements that will never be returning) of, say, 20-25k?

Or, I suppose, would they be legitimate complaints, technically someone always complains.

I would complain about that. Getting 10 daily AP is much easier than some of the historic achievements were. In fact as I said earlier daily ap should be removed entirely and permanent achievements have their AP doubled. Dailies are the opposite of what could be considered an achievement.
All the people who ask for more daily AP just ask for easy high end rewards they dont deserve at all.

(edited by Malediktus.9250)

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: Rashagar.8349

Rashagar.8349

I would complain about that. Getting 10 daily AP is much easier than some of the historic achievements were. In fact as I said earlier daily ap should be removed entirely and permanent achievements have their AP doubled. Dailies are the opposite of what could be considered an achievement.
All the people who ask for more daily AP just ask for easy high end rewards they dont deserve at all.

See, I see it differently than that. The way I’m thinking is that both daily AP and the old non-returning event AP are time-gated AP, so while being around back then allowed you to rack up the AP at a faster rate than you can now, new players would be essentially stuck at a flat rate of 10 per day. And I think a new player playing for 2000-2500 days is an achievement worth celebrating. It’s not how difficult it is to do the daily that I’d see as important, but the long term dedication to the game that reaching that limit represents.

Achievement cap [Merged]

Malediktus.9250

Its fine that you see it differently, but its still nonsense. There is literally zero achievement in doing the dailies nowadays. Back in the old days there were times where you needed 4 hours of effort if you wanted to get all daily AP (I think the max was 16 AP per day back then), now you get 10 free AP for spending 5min to do the most trivial 3 out of 12 choices.
The historic achievements are a reward for doing specific tasks as a specific point in time – tough luck if you missed them, I am missing 20 of them, too. If they were added to a combined daily/monthly/historic cap it would have basically been a waste of time to do most of them. Example: Who would redo festival minigames dozens of times if you can get the same in a few days of dailies of 5min each?
There were a lot of things I only did to get an edge over other people so I would be very upset if people could make up for it by doing a few days of trivial 5min dailies.

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

There were a lot of things I only did to get an edge over other people

Ah. There’s the crux of the issue. When you measure yourself against others, you will never attain happiness in yourself. Or so my fortune cookie said.

Achievement cap [Merged]

Malediktus.9250

Ah. There’s the crux of the issue. When you measure yourself against others, you will never attain happiness in yourself. Or so my fortune cookie said.

I dont believe in “everyone is a winner”, for everyone who is a winner there has to be someone who is the looser. And Anet clearly intended AP to have a competive nature or at least something that lets you compare yourself with others or there would not be a leaderboard for it to begin with.
If you do not enjoy this kind of competition, noone forces you to take part in it – but you have to accept loosing out on a few out of over 4000 skins the game has to offer.
If you started the game late or were lazy when you had the opportunity for the historic achievements, then Anet should not offer you the easy way out by making dailies a substitue for those achievements.
If you want more AP which is not as grindy as getting 10k wins in PvP or 250k kills in WvW you should ask Anet to make more achievement (maybe create a suggestion topic with good ideas for new achievements if you are serious about it).

Achievement cap [Merged]

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

I don’t believe in “everyone is a winner”, for everyone who is a winner there has to be someone who is the loser. And Anet clearly intended AP to have a competitive nature or at least something that lets you compare yourself with others or there would not be a leaderboard for it to begin with.

There are situations where that is true: someone wins, someone loses. Then there are situations where everyone wins or everyone loses. I guess I just don’t have the competitive instinct. Measuring yourself against others seems ephemeral to me. But if that’s where your happiness lies, more power to you.

EDIT: Since you added more to your post, I’ll respond to that. I’m a late starter in the game but I’m all for opening the ceiling for you vets to reach as far as you can. I don’t care to catch up. I’m enjoying completing my own goals, and the AP and skins that come along the way are just a bonus. I think newcomers that are building their hopes on catching up with long-timers are setting themselves up for disappointment. There are far more enjoyable goals to set yourself in this game than trying to grow that AP number. But each to his own.

(edited by Zoltar MacRoth.7146)

Achievement cap [Merged]

Malediktus.9250

I don’t believe in “everyone is a winner”, for everyone who is a winner there has to be someone who is the loser. And Anet clearly intended AP to have a competitive nature or at least something that lets you compare yourself with others or there would not be a leaderboard for it to begin with.

There are situations where that is true: someone wins, someone loses. Then there are situations where everyone wins or everyone loses. I guess I just don’t have the competitive instinct. Measuring yourself against others seems ephemeral to me. But if that’s where your happiness lies, more power to you.

I am decently happy with it, the only thing bothering me is that a lot of my competitors are account sharers and Anet does not do anything about it despite it being against the code of conduct/terms of service. If Anet would rollback them I would be happier.

EDIT: Since you added more to your post, I’ll respond to that. I’m a late starter in the game but I’m all for opening the ceiling for you vets to reach as far as you can. I don’t care to catch up. I’m enjoying completing my own goals, and the AP and skins that come along the way are just a bonus. I think newcomers that are building their hopes on catching up with long-timers are setting themselves up for disappointment. There are far more enjoyable goals to set yourself in this game than trying to grow that AP number. But each to his own.

If you played as much as me – around 11000 hours since release – then AP is the main drive to keep playing, because you have seen everything and probably own every item you care for. That does not mean I dont enjoy playing different parts of the game, but I definitely would not play an average of 8 hours a day if AP wouldnt interest me.
I would probably resort to only login if the WvW matchup looks interesting to me, if my guild wants to do a raid or if there was an update with new content if that would be the case.

Achievement cap [Merged]

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

I am decently happy with it, the only thing bothering me is that a lot of my competitors are account sharers and Anet does not do anything about it despite it being against the code of conduct/terms of service. If Anet would rollback them I would be happier.

If you played as much as me – around 11000 hours since release – then AP is the main drive to keep playing, because you have seen everything and probably own every item you care for. That does not mean I dont enjoy playing different parts of the game, but I definitely would not play an average of 8 hours a day if AP wouldnt interest me.
I would probably resort to only login if the WvW matchup looks interesting to me, if my guild wants to do a raid or if there was an update with new content if that would be the case.

You make an interesting point and when I get up to that stage, I’ll be keen to see if I feel differently about the AP.

Achievement cap [Merged]

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

Its fine that you see it differently, but its still nonsense. There is literally zero achievement in doing the dailies nowadays. Back in the old days there were times where you needed 4 hours of effort if you wanted to get all daily AP (I think the max was 16 AP per day back then), now you get 10 free AP for spending 5min to do the most trivial 3 out of 12 choices.
The historic achievements are a reward for doing specific tasks as a specific point in time – tough luck if you missed them, I am missing 20 of them, too. If they were added to a combined daily/monthly/historic cap it would have basically been a waste of time to do most of them. Example: Who would redo festival minigames dozens of times if you can get the same in a few days of dailies of 5min each?
There were a lot of things I only did to get an edge over other people so I would be very upset if people could make up for it by doing a few days of trivial 5min dailies.

You are so petty. Wanting to lock newer players out of not insignificant account bonuses because you think they somehow don’t deserve it due to joining the game after you did. No new player is going to catch up to your AP, whatever it is, by doing dailies even if the amount of AP given from them was doubled. Both you and these players share the same AP cap from dailies (and you also benefited from being able to do monthly achievements and get more AP from dailies for a while, something the newer players don’t have the benefit of), yet the new players are forever locked out of the historical achievements that you finished. They won’t catch up to you, they just won’t. So I don’t see why you are so kitten worried about it.

But that doesn’t change the fact that these players still deserve the same chance that you had at getting the account bonuses and skins from the achievement chests. If you’ve been playing since launch then you could have started obtaining pinnacle skins before you had been playing GW2 for 3 years. But for a newer player, unless LWS3 comes with thousands of new AP to collect, they will have to spend the better part of 5 years to get their first pinnacle skins. That’s not fair to them, and there is no reason to be so petty over this since it literally doesn’t affect you at all.

Achievement cap [Merged]

Daddicus.6128

The game also has loyalty rewards in the form of character birthday gifts.

Are you joking?