Choose a Name for Tyria’s Heroes!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: StanUK.3214

StanUK.3214

So – looks like the devs like Game of Thrones then…..

We get to choose between The Night’s Watch, Kingsguard and The Unsullied

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Now just wait a minute. I…

…got nothing. The significantly high correlation can’t be ignored.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Vyrulisse.1246

Vyrulisse.1246

I went with Dragon’s Watch, it sounded the least cheesy.

Posted by: lioka qiao.8734

lioka qiao.8734

No Heroes McHeroface

I did Dragon’s watch too.

Little red Lioka

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

None of them are particularly appropriate and to see any correlation to GoT is a bit sad (I don’t find it good fantasy, but even so they’re still poor names).

Destiny’s Edge, whilst perhaps not the greatest name, is the name it should keep (in my opinion). We still have all the original members around and we have recruited a bunch more – precisely how a Guild operates. It is better for the lore, the game and consistency in general to keep Destiny’s Edge as the name for the group and any future members that are added.

Irrelevant though, since the deadline for voting is so close to LS3 release, the VA is probably done for all 3 situations, so I went with Dragon’s Watch, since it at least includes Dragons in the name…

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I choose Dragon’s Watch also. To me it seemed to fit better as a “successor name” to Destiny’s Edge than the other 2.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

I don’t know why “Dragon’s Watch” is a choice? Why would they be watching anything for a dragon? Dragons are by and large their primary enemy. The apostrophe gives a possessive that implies that the group are working for dragon rather than against them. Grammar makes all the difference there.

I would have voted for “Dragon Watch” which would mean they are watching for dragons or their minions to enter the scene

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Posted by: Metalman.6345

Metalman.6345

I wanted Destiny’s Edge 2.0 but for some reason it wasnt included.

Posted by: Moyayuki.3619

Moyayuki.3619

I voted for “Dragon’s Watch”. Sounded the least lame, as Vyrulisse mentioned. But then, I really am finding that I am not caring about these new characters whatsoever, even after going through all LS up to the beginning of HoT. Destiny’s Edge are far superior characters, IMO. And Rox’s face looks…weird. Like a cartoon, and not a GW2 Charr. What’s up with that?

Server: Dragonbrand
Guild: Moonlit Renegades (Moon)
Highest-Level Toon: Markus Emmerich, 80 Human Scrapper

Vyrulisse.1246

I voted for “Dragon’s Watch”. Sounded the least lame, as Vyrulisse mentioned. But then, I really am finding that I am not caring about these new characters whatsoever, even after going through all LS up to the beginning of HoT. Destiny’s Edge are far superior characters, IMO. And Rox’s face looks…weird. Like a cartoon, and not a GW2 Charr. What’s up with that?

Agreed. They look like caricatures more than actual characters for the most part.

Posted by: Chadramar.8156

Chadramar.8156

Can’t say I find any of them particularly appealing or thematically appropriate, so I’d rather keep Destiny’s Edge, too. There’s more connection to the old DE than to any of the three options, IMO.

I mean, I’d kind of like “The Unbroken” as a title for any sylvari who withstood Mordremoth, but as a party name it just doesn’t do anything for me. Dragon’s Watch is too passive and Eternity’s Guard just feels both random and presumptous since they’re hardly immortal.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I don’t see how they relate to Game of Thrones. Other than Night’s Watch and Dragon’s Watch having a word in common. But then I’ve seen GoT fans claim everything with dire wolves in it is a direct copy of that show (not even the books, the TV show). I’ve also seen people claim that the entire Guild Wars franchise is a copy because there is a tiny village in Valyria called Tyria (I don’t think it’s ever mentioned but on the various maps it’s on the north coast). So I suppose this isn’t surprising.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Moonyeti.3296

Moonyeti.3296

I don’t see how they relate to Game of Thrones. Other than Night’s Watch and Dragon’s Watch having a word in common. But then I’ve seen GoT fans claim everything with dire wolves in it is a direct copy of that show (not even the books, the TV show). I’ve also seen people claim that the entire Guild Wars franchise is a copy because there is a tiny village in Valyria called Tyria (I don’t think it’s ever mentioned but on the various maps it’s on the north coast). So I suppose this isn’t surprising.

General ignorance of the genre. As I imagine GoT is the first tolkenesque fantasy story for a lot of people, a lot of them probably attribute traits common to the genre as native to GoT. Things like direwolves, whitewalkers etc.

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

I was just going to post about this poll, but you guys beat me to it. Thanks for posting, and I hope everyone has fun taking part!

Here’s the poll in English. If you are a German, French, or Spanish speaker, you’ll find the poll is available in each of those languages, as well.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

There must be a plot twist because Dragon’s Watch means they’re working for the Dragon. LOL

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

There must be a plot twist because Dragon’s Watch means they’re working for the Dragon. LOL

Unless it’s a prelude to the currently unhatched egg of Glint? Our future ally?

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: Shaaba.5672

Shaaba.5672

It’s kind of like a presidential election – hold your nose and vote for the least bad. Luckily, this is something I can punt on and I won’t be voting.

I agree that Destiny’s Edge is fine. We were recruited into an elite guild and went on to do great things ourselves. I’m totally fine with that. Comparing it to my in game guild, I didn’t start it, but I have a big presence there and have brought in friends of my own. It also allows Canach to rep two guilds. <Destiny’s Edge> for raiding and <Anise’s Puppet> for role playing.

(edited by Shaaba.5672)

Posted by: RDarken.2495

RDarken.2495

Thanks for including us! I LOVE Destiny’s Edge 2.0. I never really liked the original DE (mostly Zojja / Logan). If you end up bringing that group back, I hope it will be like the original GW, where you give us a choice on who to assist (e.g. Heroes of Ascalon or the newest group of henchies for that chapter or letting us pick our heroes when those were introduced).

Posted by: Taglor Anwamane.9468

Taglor Anwamane.9468

I don’t like Dragon’s Watch, because I don’t want them bound or typecast into a dragon-related-only role. There are plenty of problems in Tyria that don’t have everything to do with the dragons, and those are the more interesting problems anyway.

Posted by: Kevin Ardinez.8906

Kevin Ardinez.8906

I prefer Destiny’s Edge, even though I voted for The Unbroken because Valar Mugulis

Pamation nato ron ang sugilanon sa usa ka kapuluanon

Posted by: Torvic.8256

Torvic.8256

Destiny’s Edge: The Next Generation

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

Just as the meaning/purpose of dragon-bash changed, so too can the meaning of dragon’s watch.

NSPride <3

Posted by: circuitnerd.5863

circuitnerd.5863

I chose Dragons Watch because they are associated the most with dealing with dragons obviously. Not to mention it just flows off the tongue good.

Certified Gameaholic

Danikat.8537

The problem with calling them Destiny’s Edge is they’re not Destiny’s Edge and that guild may still exist. It’s a bit uncertain after HoT, but not to the point where it would be ok for a bunch of kids to come along and appropriate the name.

Posted by: SlaYer.2138

SlaYer.2138

Dragons gather, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher of Tyria. I am the shield that guards the realms of all races. I pledge my life and honor to the Dragon’s Watch, for this dragon and all the dragons to come.

—The vow of Dragon’s Watch

It is known!

Posted by: Ceridwen.6703

Ceridwen.6703

I went with Dragon’s Watch as well, although I am slightly worried about the location of the apostrophe. The Watch belongs to the and/or a Dragon? Or the dragon is keeping a lookout for something? Is it about the dragon’s timepiece, or has the dragon has finished levelling as a Chronomancer? It’s cool if it’s any of those, or if it’s a teaser for Glint’s egg baby.

If not the latter, it should probably be Dragonwatch, but I suppose that sounds a bit too much like a weekly dragon news round-up, or some kind of tabloid-esque rag clearly biased against scaled beasties.

In hindsight, I should’ve voted for something else. XD

As an aside, I made a Sylvari thief today called A Twig Has No Name.

“Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Steve R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.”

Randulf.7614

The problem with calling them Destiny’s Edge is they’re not Destiny’s Edge and that guild may still exist. It’s a bit uncertain after HoT, but not to the point where it would be ok for a bunch of kids to come along and appropriate the name.

Except they haven’t appropriated the name, they would have joined it and carried on its legacy – as any good Guild would allow. Rytlock is still part of it and whether Anet acknowledges it or not, Caithe, Zojja and Logan are still part of the dynamic. It also allows Destiny’s Edge to continue to grow well beyond a small group into something bigger and longer lasting.

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

Dragon’s Watch is likely to win.

I didn’t vote for that one though. It’s too easy, and limits the team too much to dragons, and there’s other things out there like demons, margonites, mursaat, elonian undead, ascalonian ghosts…

And Eternity’s Guard sounds too military, and has a ring to it too similar to Destiny’s Edge.

And so it had to be The Unbroken by process of elimination.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Danikat.8537

Except they haven’t appropriated the name, they would have joined it and carried on its legacy – as any good Guild would allow. Rytlock is still part of it and whether Anet acknowledges it or not, Caithe, Zojja and Logan are still part of the dynamic. It also allows Destiny’s Edge to continue to grow well beyond a small group into something bigger and longer lasting.

I always thought of them as two entirely separate groups that occasionally ran into each other rather than one big group. Really the only things they have in common are working with us and ending up fighting a dragon.

But even then Destiny’s Edge set out to fight the dragons deliberately. This new group got drawn into it. They didn’t know any more about what was going on than we did, which means they didn’t originally know one person was behind everything that happened in Season 1 and until Season 2 didn’t know it had anything to do with a dragon.

Posted by: Darknicrofia.2604

Darknicrofia.2604

Too Edge to Destiny

Darknicrofia Sage – Bad Gerdian, Merciless Legend, Platinum NA Solo Que

Posted by: Nash.2681

Nash.2681

Obviously I voted for Dragon’s Watch, since all they do is watch me doing all the work.

XMG U716 (i7 6700, 16GB DDR4@2133Mhz, GTX980m, Samsung 850Evo 250 GB, Seagate SSHD 500GB)

Leader of “Servants of Balance” [SoB], a small guild endemic to the FSP.

Posted by: eko.5213

eko.5213

I didn’t like the first two because what will they be called when “The Unbroken” breaks? And I do not see how mortal beings can be eternal, so “Eternity’s Guard” doesn’t fit either, unless they are all transformed into immortal beings…

Dragon’s Watch seems too passive to me but it is what I chose… We’re not just watching for dragons, we’re battling them; so I think we need to have a better word in there than “Watch”.

Posted by: eko.5213

eko.5213

Also, where is Taimi in the picture???

Randulf.7614

I always thought of them as two entirely separate groups that occasionally ran into each other rather than one big group. Really the only things they have in common are working with us and ending up fighting a dragon.

But even then Destiny’s Edge set out to fight the dragons deliberately. This new group got drawn into it. They didn’t know any more about what was going on than we did, which means they didn’t originally know one person was behind everything that happened in Season 1 and until Season 2 didn’t know it had anything to do with a dragon.

They do have more in common, since some have relationships to other DE members. Such as Taimi to Zojja and Braham to Eir. Plus Rytlock and and whom I am assuming is his little sister.

Plus I think we were added to DE as the player character. I could be wrong there though.

Vyrulisse.1246

I always saw my character as being like “You guys are useless, I got this.” when dealing with DE. >.>

Kinda fitting because it applies to these cringetastic new people as well.

Posted by: Silvercyclone.1462

Silvercyclone.1462

To me Dragon’s Watch seems like the name of a town, The Unbroken seems like a name of a race and Eternity’s Guard seems like the name of a weapon or a piece of armor. Basically I chose the lesser of 3 evils and went with The Unbroken. It seemed to fit a lot better than the other 2.

Danikat.8537

They do have more in common, since some have relationships to other DE members. Such as Taimi to Zojja and Braham to Eir. Plus Rytlock and and whom I am assuming is his little sister.

Plus I think we were added to DE as the player character. I could be wrong there though.

I guess it’s just a matter of perception. I always thought of them as two separate groups. I know people call the new guys Destiny’s Edge 2.0 but I thought that was just in terms of the role they played in the story as the reoccurring group of characters who aren’t directly related to the Pact but are also fighting the dragons. But other than that they’re separate. Destiny’s Edge is one close knit group with their own history and shared experiences, and these guys are another.

They weren’t there when DE were in the arena in LA, or making their name defeating dragon champions, or when they lost Glint and Snaff to Kralk, or when they helped the Pact and our character take down Zhaitan.

Likewise DE weren’t there when Rox and Braham defeated the leaders of the Molten Alliance, when Jory and Kas solved Theo Ashford’s murder, when they all joined together to confront Scarlet for the first time or throughout the subsequent fights with her and her minions.

The two only crossed paths occasionally. So the main point connecting them both was the player character and a shared interest in fighting the dragons (which is not all that uncommon in Tyria).

(On a somewhat unrelated note I feel like I’m back on Guns n’ Roses forums, debating how you define a group of people and how to determine what name to give them. Which maybe explains why I have such strong feelings about it.)

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

I always saw my character as being like “You guys are useless, I got this.” when dealing with DE. >.>

Kinda fitting because it applies to these cringetastic new people as well.

Well, you do make up 74.3% of their firepower, according to Zojja.

NSPride <3

Posted by: Gilburt.9146

Gilburt.9146

I don’t know why “Dragon’s Watch” is a choice? Why would they be watching anything for a dragon? Dragons are by and large their primary enemy. The apostrophe gives a possessive that implies that the group are working for dragon rather than against them. Grammar makes all the difference there.

Dragon’s Watch makes perfect since.

Watch: vigilant guard, as for protection or restraint.

Dragon’s Watch is a guard for the dragons, to “restrain” or stop them in this case.

That being said, I don’t really care for any of the names. Dragon’s Watch is the least cheesy I guess. It makes me sad though because I don’t particularly want the future of this game to be centered solely on the elder dragon’s.

Dragon’s Watch is the only name that really thematically describes the group. The Unbroken and Eternity’s Guard feel like they could describe any hardy group of good guys and don’t sound particularly interesting.

Brother Gilburt – Guard / Agent Gilburt – Thief

Posted by: bearshaman.3421

bearshaman.3421

Eternity’s Guard for me. Dragon’s Watch seems corny, and the only value I find in that one is that you do end up doing most of the work, but bitterness seems a poor reason to choose a name for a group. Unbroken was my second choice, since each of them has lost something of importance and has kept going despite their misfortunes.

Posted by: DragonflyDusk.6582

DragonflyDusk.6582

I didn’t vote for Dragon’s Watch because it was as equally cheesy as everything else, and is shoe-horning us in to the dragon business. It’s like the Dragonhunter all over again. Dragon’s Watch pretty much describes Tyria as much as the other two names.

I liked Eternity’s Guard more because it felt like an extension of Destiny’s Edge, which we basically are at this point. They were the sword, and we are the shield. I like the way they play off of each other.

Eternity’s Guard for me. Dragon’s Watch seems corny, and the only value I find in that one is that you do end up doing most of the work, but bitterness seems a poor reason to choose a name for a group. Unbroken was my second choice, since each of them has lost something of importance and has kept going despite their misfortunes.

You sum up my feelings rather well.

[ I survived the 2015 April Fools Forum Meltdown ]

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Going to quote myself from elsewhere:

But… they have a name.

It’s called Destiny’s Edge.

Also, something I don’t get is why is Taimi included when Caithe and Canach – who were there for killing Mordremoth – not? And if this is about the biconics, then why include Rytlock?

Honestly, I can’t even bring myself to choose any of these names.

• The Unbroken sounds like a name belonging to torture victems or ex-slaves.
  • Eternity’s Guard sounds like a group that’s purely defensive – but Destiny’s Edge, born from Dragonborn’s Destiny and Edge of Steel, have always been a purely offensive group.
  • Dragon’s Watch fits as their main goal is fighting the Elder Dragons but again, that name sounds defensive rather than offensive – it sounds like they’re a group watching for the rise of dragon activity, a name suited for when the dragons were still a rising threat instead of the current standing threat.

None of the name fits.

I VOTE FOR KEEPING IT DESTINY’S EDGE. The name has meaning, history, and importance to the lore. It fits thematically, as each of the group has ties to the original Destiny’s Edge member, and naming it something new feels like another case of ignoring the foundation of lore that was so present in Season 1. And for goodness sake, include Caithe and Canach in the listings! Stop hating on Caithe! She’s done nothing wrong to you, writers!

They kind of are.

The Pact Commander is considered a member of Destiny’s Edge and the biconics have done all that the Pact Commander has done to be considered a member of Destiny’s Edge, though in slightly different ways.

• They were mentored, at some point, by a member of Destiny’s Edge – either the Pact Commander, their racial iconic, or both.
  • They worked on several missions with at least one member of Destiny’s Edge about random things – working with the Pact Commander against Scarlet, and with the Pact Commander and racial iconic in S2.
  • They worked to bring Destiny’s Edge back together – rescuing them from Mordrem, working with Rytlock to do so, and tracking and finding Caithe.

They did it in different ways, but they did everything the Pact Commander did. The Pact Commander is considered a member of Destiny’s Edge… so why aren’t the biconics?

And why is Rytlock considered a member of the biconics now? Yet Caithe and Canach aren’t?

Besides, it isn’t appropriating the name – it’s joining the guild. Apparently people in the gaming community are unaware of the concept of recruitment when it comes to famous small guilds.

They started as two separate groups. Season 1 was doing a strong job of intentionally making them their own characters with different goals.

Then Season 2 came and the writers just went “kitten that kitten!” and the biconics had the exact same goals as Destiny’s Edge. This became solidfied in Heart of Thorns, especially for Braham and Taimi, and with them working with not one, not two, but three members of Destiny’s Edge: Rytlock, Caithe, and the Pact Commander.

If ArenaNet had originally given them a name at the end of Season 1, then it would make sense to have a second group. But now, with the same goals, same intentions, same everything, it makes no sense.

What started as, throughout Season 1:

“Hi, we’re Destiny’s Edge, and we save Tyria from Elder Dragons!”

“Hi, we’re Destiny’s Orphans, and we do what we want!”

“Hi, I’m the Pact Commander, and I work with both of those groups but not really a member of either one.”

Got turned into, throughout Season 2/HoT:
“Hi, we’re Destiny’s Edge, and we save Tyria from Elder Dragons!”

“Hi, we’re Destiny’s Orphans, and we save Tyria from Elder Dragons!”

“Hi, I’m Rytlock, and this is the Pact Commander. We’re members of both of those groups.”

So why bother with separate groups

What’s next, we come out with the ciconics and make a third group and then we form the Holy Trinity that is three small groups uniting against the Elder Dragons because they have the same goal but different methods?

Likewise DE weren’t there when Rox and Braham defeated the leaders of the Molten Alliance, when Jory and Kas solved Theo Ashford’s murder, when they all joined together to confront Scarlet for the first time or throughout the subsequent fights with her and her minions.

During Season 1, they were what you said. Two different groups that occasionally crossed paths.

Season 2 and Heart of Thorns threw that all out of the window. Just as Destiny’s Edge started as five individuals who had their own accomplishments and banded together to fight a dragon champion (Dragonspawn), and only just happened to eventually lead to combating the Elder Dragons, the biconics were also just some individuals who had their own accomplishments and banded together to fight a dragon champion (Scarlet) and only just happened to eventually lead to combating the Elder Dragons.

They started as two groups, but they became one.

And now, as this one group, they’re getting a new name? Why?

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

(edited by Konig Des Todes.2086)

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

Went with Eternity’s Guard. It’s the name that sounds most like a sequel to Destiny’s Edge to me.

Dragon’s Watch just sounds too on the nose, just like the Dragon Hunter name the forums once went up in flames about.

And The Unbroken sounds like an emo band.

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

I was just going to post about this poll, but you guys beat me to it. Thanks for posting, and I hope everyone has fun taking part!

Here’s the poll in English. If you are a German, French, or Spanish speaker, you’ll find the poll is available in each of those languages, as well.

The name “Dragon’s Watch” must be an indication we are getting dragon mounts!

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

Posted by: James Quall.6029

James Quall.6029

An off brand Destiny’s Edge with a much cheaper VA budget?

“Destiny’s Ehh”

Posted by: Hexinx.1872

Hexinx.1872

Personally I liked the original heroes… not a fan of the current team. But evolution and stuff … lives must be lost, heroes born, books must be made, and stories told.

I choose Dragon’s Watch because I want more Dragon’s. Or this Glint 2.0 to hatch, grow and provide us some real legit ascension.

Posted by: Aenaos.8160

Aenaos.8160

They are the Dragon’s Watch.
This name is purposeful,balanced,and definitely something they would choose for themselves.
Eternity’s Guard is too serious and needlessly dramatic,and sophisticated. And fluffy,and it does not stick.
The Unbroken is meh. Too simplistic.

-Win a pip,lose a pip,win a pip,lose a pip,lose a pip,
lose a pip,win 2 pips,lose a pip,lose a pip…………..-
-Go go Espartz.-

(edited by Aenaos.8160)

Posted by: Kraljevo.2801

Kraljevo.2801

Meh

Keep Destiny’s Edge.

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Suicide Skwad? Copyrighted…?

Posted by: Boogiepop Void.6473

Boogiepop Void.6473

Anyone else annoyed by the lack of Sylvari in the new group? Destiny’s Edge was a big deal because it had 1 of each race, but the new group has 1 Norn, 2 Humans, 1 Asura, and 1-2 Charr (depends on if you count Rytlock as a core member or just a DE member tagging along) and 0 Sylvari. I thought they were setting up Canach to end up joining the group but that never materialized.

I don’t mind having more than 1 (Especially with the Kasmeer-Marjory dynamic), but I hate not having any Sylvari at all. I really think this needs to be addressed; it leaves Sylvari fans feeling left out of the new group dynamic and seems to marginalize the race that was so core to the story. It also leaves the Sylvari elements of the story feeling left out; just imagine what would have gone on with a Sylvari member during The Call that instead got addressed only from the outside.

(edited by Boogiepop Void.6473)