In my opinion, Cultural armor is too expensive

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Forge.5426

Forge.5426

As the title states, the cultural armor is way too expensive.
I really like the look of those armors, but it costs 119gold for a tier 3 armor which is not even exotic but rare.
I think that’s a bit too expensive since you can buy exotic lvl80 armors on the Trading Post for way less. At the time I started this topic, the most expensive exotic lvl80 chest-piece on the TP is only 8g75s (aurora glade server) and the second one is only 2g76s whereas the rare cultural armor is 30g for only the chest-piece.
I think Anet might have to think again about their cultural armor prices.

(sorry for my English, it’s not my main language)

lvl 80 Human Thief: Aida Shadowforge
See you all in-game

Posted by: Prolix.1493

Prolix.1493

I agree with you, it is too expensive

Posted by: Jestunhi.7429

Jestunhi.7429

I think it’s supposed to be a long-term goal.

SoE have finally been knocked off the top spot
in the list of developers I have the least faith & trust in.
Congratulations ArenaNet!

Posted by: Pants.8315

Pants.8315

I think your missing the point of them being expensive.

They aren’t for stats, they are for looks. The large part of the Guild Wars 2 endgame is designed around chasing cosmetic skins for your armour to distinguish yourself from other players.

The cultural sets are designed to be rare, so that not many people have them, hence the price tag.

Hope that clears things up for you.

Forge.5426

But if it’s a long-term goal, shouldn’t it be exotic at least?

See you all in-game

Posted by: Teknomancer.8475

Teknomancer.8475

Cultural armor isn’t really meant to be bought for the stats but rather the look of the gear. This gear was ( in my opinion ) put in as one of the many gold sinks in the game. If you want it, start saving then throw a bunch of money at it. The gear is not going to make or break your game play so , shrug.

Happy Monday
Madame Moorshade Teknomancer

Jestunhi.7429

As people have said, it’s about the unique model, not the stats.

Pants.8315

It’s not about the stats, it’s about the looks, the exotic armour you craft/buy is what you are meant to base your stats around, then transmute your skin on top of it.

Forge.5426

But then if it’s meant to be transmuted, why don’t they make it an item to double click and apply to another piece.

See you all in-game

Posted by: Prolix.1493

Prolix.1493

Yeah but if I’m wearing a full exotic set and I want to skin it using the cultural set it won’t be exotic anymore.

Pants.8315

You keep the stats when you transmute something.

Posted by: Zeivu.3615

Zeivu.3615

Did you ever play the first GW? It’s always been their stance of ‘rare skins’, not ‘rare stats’. It’s perfectly fine.

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

of all things that should be purchasable via karma, cultural armors make sense

You get them from being the Hero of Divinity’s Reach and whatnot.

Should add a tab on the vendors to give karma option, like the gear we can buy in the 80 zones.

Posted by: Sindariel.2354

Sindariel.2354

But then if it’s meant to be transmuted, why don’t they make it an item to double click and apply to another piece.

The only reason why cultural gear is not exotic and not transmutable like HoM-Rewards
is to force players to buy transmutation stones in the gem store. Nothing else.

Posted by: Wolfgang sithermont.1360

Wolfgang sithermont.1360

“The only reason why cultural gear is not exotic and not transmutable like HoM-Rewards
is to force players to buy transmutation stones in the gem store. Nothing else.”

Haha. Maybe, but if someone is going for that armor, chances are they already have Fine Transmutation Stones. I think I have like…17..in my bank? From black lion chests. I got all my keys from super rare drops or from finishing maps. You really never have to use the Gemstore.

Posted by: Sindariel.2354

Sindariel.2354

I play since Headstart and I never got a single Fine Transmutation Stone. Neither from zone completions nor from black lion chests, or daily rewards.

Posted by: AcidicVision.5498

AcidicVision.5498

The only reason why cultural gear is not exotic and not transmutable like HoM-Rewards
is to force players to buy transmutation stones in the gem store. Nothing else.

I’ve gotten fine transmutation stones from chests with keys I have looted or gotten are rewards.

But you’re right. I can’t believe I didn’t see it before. Cultural armor was designed purely to make $3 each off of the tiny fraction of players that will farm the gold for and buy it, who didnt manage to get the stones from drops and that, despite having well over 100 gold for the cultural set, decide not to buy the measly amount of gems needed with gold instead of cash. How utterly diabolical! Should just call themselves pAyNET.

… ^.^

The Kismet
Dragonbrand

Posted by: Aramanth.1546

Aramanth.1546

Paying 119 gold to look like someone skinned a deer and stuck patches of it on me isn’t enough to justify “it’s for looks”. For that price, the armor should at least give the bonuses/defenses of dungeon armor, just so now we have four ways of obtaining our end game gear- crafting, buying culture armor, karma vendors, or dungeon vendors.

Posted by: Derek.9254

Derek.9254

yes its 119g but whats the fun when everyones running around with it? Not everyone will have it. Its supposed to take time dont be so impatient and save. Oh and this is my t3 not a fan of the mask since it looks like a rawhide mask

Attachments:

Jestunhi.7429

If you don’t think the looks of it are worth buying then don’t buy it.

It’s entirely optional – not everyone has to look the same. Not everyone has to aim for tier 3 cultural armour.

:edit:

Personally I think I’ll mix and match with other armour pieces. Rather than wearing it for the sake of wearing it I’ll buy the pieces which I think look good and mix them with pieces from other sets which I think look better in the other slots and go well together with the existing cultural pieces.

(edited by Jestunhi.7429)

Forge.5426

to me, the problem isn’t really the money, i’m willing to pay 119g for an exotic cultural armor, but not for a rare armor.

See you all in-game

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

I could understand that they want the skins to be expensive, longtemr goals (kinda like 15k armor in GW1)

What I’m wondering is why they have Rare stats instead of Exotic if they cost 119g total

Posted by: Shadey.2180

Shadey.2180

Its designed to be a grind if you want to do it. How long after release of other mmos do you get the best gear in the game(comparable since in GW2 look = best gear)? Game is not out 2 months yet everyone is complaining about getting everything is taking too long and it feels too much of a grind. How I see it, if its just cosmetic then dont complain if your not willing to put in the work to get what you want, dont say something is a grind if you decide to grind for something with no gain but to look.

Please just stop complaining about basic stuff like this and work towards it. Other people have done it, so can you. Might take longer than them because of time or your less skilled or whatever but in the end, if you want a look for your character work for it.

P.S This is a mmo, without long term goals whats the point?

Forge.5426

Its designed to be a grind if you want to do it. How long after release of other mmos do you get the best gear in the game(comparable since in GW2 look = best gear)? Game is not out 2 months yet everyone is complaining about getting everything is taking too long and it feels too much of a grind. How I see it, if its just cosmetic then dont complain if your not willing to put in the work to get what you want, dont say something is a grind if you decide to grind for something with no gain but to look.

Please just stop complaining about basic stuff like this and work towards it. Other people have done it, so can you. Might take longer than them because of time or your less skilled or whatever but in the end, if you want a look for your character work for it.

P.S This is a mmo, without long term goals whats the point?

What I mean is: you can buy order of whispers armor for only 9g which is also a nice skin, so why make the cultural armor so expensive in comparison to other nice armor skins

See you all in-game

Posted by: Stevoli.8795

Stevoli.8795

What I mean is: you can buy order of whispers armor for only 9g which is also a nice skin, so why make the cultural armor so expensive in comparison to other nice armor skins

Even if a station wagon is pimped out, it’s still just a station wagon. The expensive sports car is more of a status symbol. Get it?

Posted by: Kargion.6352

Kargion.6352

I have no problem with it being a bit high in price, but 30g is way to much. 4-8g a piece would be high, but do able of the playing the game.

Posted by: Kargion.6352

Kargion.6352

yes its 119g but whats the fun when everyones running around with it? Not everyone will have it. Its supposed to take time dont be so impatient and save. Oh and this is my t3 not a fan of the mask since it looks like a rawhide mask

If it takes time to get how do you have it? Enough time has not passed for you to make that comment and show off your self in it.

Anyone in t3 cultural i feel played the TP (which i shouldn’t have to do) or Payed for gem’s to gold.

Stevoli.8795

I have no problem with it being a bit high in price, but 30g is way to much. 4-8g a piece would be high, but do able of the playing the game.

It can be achieved by just playing the game… over a longer period of time. T3 culturals are a long term goal, as people have mentioned a few times already in this thread.

Posted by: ostracize.8316

ostracize.8316

OP is refusing to grasp the purpose of these pieces.

You can only transmute armor of the same class (light to light, heavy to heavy); GW2 does not have a “costume” like Rift.

You are not buying armor, you are buying a costume. It is labeled as armor because of how transmutation works.

Rare or Exotic doesn’t make a difference, because the stats are pretty much worthless. You are meant to use these pieces to transmute their appearance onto other pieces.

When you transmute an item you can select the appearance, the stats, and the rune to apply separately. So you take the appearance of the cultural armor, and the stats/rune of your permanent piece of armor. Your armor is still the Exotic piece it was before, but with a new skin applied to it.

Posted by: azurrei.5691

azurrei.5691

I see people’s arguments, but I agree to a degree with the OP. I think T3 cultural should be about half of its current price – still making it not very common. Very few of the people who have it already got so without A) abusing game bugs or poor design in some fashion (i.e. CoF, hoping from server to server farming orichalcum) b)) buying gems and selling for gold (basically P2W in a vanity game) C) getting extremely lucky gambling with the mystic forge

Posted by: Rhyse.8179

Rhyse.8179

It’s pretty obvious that’s it’s priced with inflation in mind. The economy is still young, and and most people are still hurting from the standard gold sinks (trait manuals, repair, buying your first exotics, etc). As more people finish their multiple 80’s, and those sinks stop sucking as much gold out, and inflation starts to take hold, you’ll start to see this fall into the “expensive but obtainable” category. I actually think it’s a good thing and shows the foresight Anet has put into the skin collecting minigame.

“I care nothing for a festering industry that wantonly refuses to
provide a service that I’m willing to purchase.” – Fortuna.7259

Posted by: Vorpal.4683

Vorpal.4683

There’s no reason to not give it exotic stats.

People are still going to buy it only for the looks (which is the entire point of it being so expensive)

It’s just silly that such an expensive long term item has poor stats on it.

Stevoli.8795

It’s pretty obvious that’s it’s priced with inflation in mind.

Agreed, after a certain point, most people will have already purchased everything they need, and will just start hording gold. Aside from fast travel and repairs, there’s not much else that we spend money on.

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

@Kain Francois you’re half right T3 is representative not of 15K but of FoW from GW1 which was the most expensive armor in the game by FAR .

T3 Cultural is a pure money sink and status symbol even more so .That is the only reason for its existence at all

Posted by: Derek.9254

Derek.9254

for the people arguing that it should have exotic stats. If you have that much gold anyways to buy it for 119g then odds are you can afford a full set of 80 exotic armor.

A entire set of 80 exotic armor is under 20g

Posted by: Ingmar.7530

Ingmar.7530

You are not buying armor, you are buying a costume. It is labeled as armor because of how transmutation works.

Were this true, it would be a double-click item like the heritage armor from the Hall of Monuments. It’s overpriced for what it is, the end. It should either cost what Vigil/Priory/etc. armor costs, or be exotic (or make it clear what the intent is by making it a cosmetic-only item like the heritage armor.) Nothing else makes sense – especially when you consider the price of the lower tier items which are allegedly for lower level characters. It almost looks like they nerfed income at some point during beta and then forgot to change the prices.

Posted by: Haishao.6851

Haishao.6851

They are priced this high for people who want to pay this high for them.
If you think it’s too high, don’t buy it, simple as that.

People who buy this armor don’t care if it’s exotic or not. They are the kind of people who will transmute it into something else as soon as they can anyway and probably already have their exotic and stone ready before even buying it.

If you don’t want to put the effort into getting this outfit, it wasn’t made for you, simple as that.

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

As i said before its the FoW of guild wars 2 . Fow cost 800K+ worth of Mats where as any other end game armor was nowhere near that

Posted by: Plague.5329

Plague.5329

I have two pieces of it. It’s far too expensive. I don’t care if it’s available to everyone; how I feel about how I look is not predicated upon whether other people can look the same way. There should be enough choices that all look interesting enough that any of them are viable.

It should probably be around 60 gold for a full set. Paying 30 gold for a single chest piece is ridiculous, especially if you aren’t a career TP trade broker.

Posted by: Snoflake.9087

Snoflake.9087

Ahh… 15k armor… mmm nostalgia.

This armor is for looks only. You want to look cool? Save the money.

The equivalent sets in the first game cost a ton of expensive materials and literally 15,000g per piece of armor (15 platinum). I still don’t have the legs of my Vabbian set because the price of rubies and sapphires is prohibitively expensive (tho I do have an undedicated mini celestial dragon to sell…).

I’m ok with it being expensive as heck. Besides, the Order of Whispers gear looks far better on my character and costs way less.

Posted by: Ingmar.7530

Ingmar.7530

There were no equivalent sets in the first game. Equivalent sets in the first game would have had the price of 15k armor but the stats of level 18 gear.

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

I don’t see why they can’t have nice stats. Can’t really see a reason not to.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

Posted by: Cullan.9645

Cullan.9645

The reason they didn’t give it exotic stats is so you can add the stats you want to it from your already owned exotic gear, which is easy to get and also cheap

Posted by: ounkeo.9138

ounkeo.9138

I would have preferred the T3 sets to be exotic. That way it looks and feels like it is worth your time. I mean, all exotics are equal in stat distribution anyway.

At the moment, at current prices, there isn’t any reason not to make them exotic. Everyone would have earned 2 sets of karma exotics by the time they can get the full t3; making it the most difficult/long set that you can get.

If people prefer the stat distribution of the T3 exotics, they can use that; otherwise they can transmute it to the crafted or the Karma exotics. And frankly, the karma armor skins look nicer than the T3 anyway…..

Forge.5426

For the people who say it’s like 15K armor of FoW armor in Guild Wars 1:
Those armors all have the same stats, while this armor has lower stats than exotic armor which is less expensive.
If FoW armor would have lower stats than 15K armor almost no one should have gotten it.

See you all in-game

Posted by: Dead.7385

Dead.7385

of all things that should be purchasable via karma, cultural armors make sense

You get them from being the Hero of Divinity’s Reach and whatnot.

Should add a tab on the vendors to give karma option, like the gear we can buy in the 80 zones.

This 100% makes sense.

Posted by: Entity.3408

Entity.3408

I hope ANet don’t alter the prices. I haven’t bought a single piece yet, but have something to at least aspire to get.

Shadey.2180

There were no equivalent sets in the first game. Equivalent sets in the first game would have had the price of 15k armor but the stats of level 18 gear.

There was no transmutation the original guildwars so any expensive gear bought would have to be at the max level.

People complaining about price should all be shot

Seriously now guys, if you think its too overpriced then the value you put on the look might me too low, not everyone has your view. People buy it because they want the look, even if they themselves might think its overpriced.

IF ITS TOO EXPENSIVE DONT BUY IT

Posted by: Drunken Mad King.8193

Drunken Mad King.8193

It’s a gold sink, pure and simple. If you like the look of the gear then slowly save up money for each piece and transmute it to the stats you want and need. SLOWLY.

The thing being is that eventually gold in this game will mean literally nothing to you.
Once you have your stat gear the only thing that will matter is…. looks. Except for Travel, repairs, and WvWvW the only thing you will have to pay for is….. LOOKS.

If you like the look of the T3 gear (which for me is heavy and I hate the look of it so I won’t buy it ever) then slowly work for it. It’s an achievement (which again I have no clue what the points will be used for if anything so again it’s just meaningless numbers right now) so once you get it you will get an achievement for owning it.

It’s something that could take you a year to earn if you are casual or for some it could take weeks or months.

It’s neither here nor there to get upset about it as the stats are pointless on it. If you want it then slowly work toward it. It’s a carrot on a long long stick.

Shadey.2180

It’s a gold sink, pure and simple. If you like the look of the gear then slowly save up money for each piece and transmute it to the stats you want and need. SLOWLY.

The thing being is that eventually gold in this game will mean literally nothing to you.
Once you have your stat gear the only thing that will matter is…. looks. Except for Travel, repairs, and WvWvW the only thing you will have to pay for is….. LOOKS.

If you like the look of the T3 gear (which for me is heavy and I hate the look of it so I won’t buy it ever) then slowly work for it. It’s an achievement (which again I have no clue what the points will be used for if anything so again it’s just meaningless numbers right now) so once you get it you will get an achievement for owning it.

It’s something that could take you a year to earn if you are casual or for some it could take weeks or months.

It’s neither here nor there to get upset about it as the stats are pointless on it. If you want it then slowly work toward it. It’s a carrot on a long long stick.

+1 minus the carrot on a long long stick. That would be if there was some random variable like a dice roll chance for something you need to drop. This is a straight forward goal that is static and the road to achieve it is VERY clear