Do We Need a Darker Black Dye?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: mrauls.6519

mrauls.6519

Hi guys, I was browsing through my dyes while coloring my raiment of the lich outfit, and I couldn’t help but notice how deep of a shade of dark the wreath around the hood is. Do we need a black dye darker than abyss?

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

(edited by mrauls.6519)

Posted by: Hoaxintelligence.4628

Hoaxintelligence.4628

On some armor parts Midnight fire or Midnight ice seems to looks darker then abyss.

Sît[MII]Ultimate Dominator
U N D E R W O R L D
W v W-r o a m e r

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

We may not need a darker black dye, but we definitely need some white/gray/black dyes with shading (the gemshop dye type), instead of single flat color ones (like in basic drops).

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: mrauls.6519

mrauls.6519

Yeah, I like dyes that transition to another color. Right now it’s usually color/black when it comes to transitional dyes

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

Posted by: Egon Vidar.9125

Egon Vidar.9125

Midnight Fire and Abyss can look pretty goofy on some medium armours, and I’m “fortunate” enough to have four medium armour characters. On my engineer, ranger, and one of my thieves, Midnight Fire looks like shiny dark chocolate. On the other thief, it looks like milk chocolate (HotW male asura medium coat). On those first three, abyss looks like a very dark grey. On that asura thief, his coat just looks sooty, like just a medium-dark grey.

This is why I’ll never buy abyss. If I’m buying a black dye, I actually want a black dye. Shocker, I know.

I’m not even going to discuss the dye actually called “black.”

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

It’s not the armor rating, it’s the material/s the armor is made from. Midnight Fire and Midnight Ice look darker than Abyss on cloth, but on metal and leather the ‘other’ colour comes out more and they look brown or black.

The HotW coat also seems to make whatever dye is on the main part look lighter. I always used Orchid as a dark purple, but when I got that coat I had to get Indigo as well because Orchid was too pale.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

It’s not the armor rating, it’s the material/s the armor is made from. Midnight Fire and Midnight Ice look darker than Abyss on cloth, but on metal and leather the ‘other’ colour comes out more and they look brown or black.

^This.

I don’t know the technical details of black and white coloring, but the general idea is: The closer the coloring is to “true black” or “true white,” the less you will be able to pick out defining texture of the armor.

So making a dye that’s even blacker, for example, essentially means a dye that will dampen the texture even more. On armors where Abyss looks gray, this could help because there is already so much texture still showing.

But on armors where Abyss looks like, well… an abyss. You just end up with armor that starts losing any sense of definition. You can already see this with some armors, especially in darker lighting.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: Alga.6498

Alga.6498

The ’’black’’ dye must have been blind employees who have named after that, we can all agree on that it’s GREY colourish. NOT BLACK! God I was so kittened off when I got that dye and basically it was a grey colour. >_<
The darkest ’black’ colour are prob Midnight Fire or Midnight Ice, though it will be a shade of Red and Blue into those.
I’ll stick with Abyss, it is the ’darkest black dye’ in this game so..

And by the way, good colour choice on the outfit! Looooks sooooooooooooo gooooood with Abyss colour, omg..

|GW1 2008~|GW2 BETA player|Separatist|Nightmare Court|Ebonhawke|Ascalon|White Mantle|71 characters|

Posted by: Chameleon Dude.1564

Chameleon Dude.1564

We could really use a darkness beyond twilight, and, for that matter, a crimson beyond blood that flows…

Midnight fire sometimes works, but it can come across are a dark brown on some armours.

Posted by: Lil Puppy.5216

Lil Puppy.5216

We need “Vantablack” – google it.

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

I personally don’t think we need a darker dye. We have abyss, midnight ice and midnight fire- you’ll find a very dark/black colour using one of these. I’ve found generally that if midnight fire is too brown, abyss is too grey then midnight ice is the perfect black colour (and all permutations of this). It might not work for every single armour piece/dye region out there, but it seems to work most of the time.

One could argue that it’s unfair to have to buy 3 fairly expensive dyes just to get decent coverage for black dye.

My problem with adding a new black dye is that it will have to appear in an exclusive gem-store dye set, meaning that it’s going to be ridiculously expensive. (I realise that dye sets are also available in BL-chests, but the chance of getting an exclusive dye from one of these is slim).

Speculation here: Having a “Vantablack” (Lil Puppy’s name suggestion rocks) colour in a selection of (6) exclusive dyes might also mean that the 5 non-black exclusive dyes would be pretty cheap. People will open the dye packs until they get the “Vantablack” colour. People would desperately want the new black colour because of the limited selection of black/grey hues if “Vantablack”. We already see similar phenomena with red and blue exclusive dyes and there’s plenty of variety when it comes to red and blue.

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

We could really use a darkness beyond twilight, and, for that matter, a crimson beyond blood that flows…

Such a color should not be merchable. It would bind itself to me. SWEAR itself to me.