in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Rpgtabbycat.5869

Rpgtabbycat.5869

This thread isn’t going to end well.

Don't be one of *those* roleplayers

Posted by: Eochaidh.4106

Eochaidh.4106

So are you saying we should let people continue to do this and earn free rewards? Why do you not want people to report this as a bug that needs fixing?

Don’t take words out of my mouth. I never said that this should happen. I am saying that people should not be banned for standing there chatting or roleplaying. Can you even prove that this is an issue and that someone is actually abusing this? It makes no sense. A stupid excuse to demonize a group of roleplayers

OK.
1. Don’t take words out of your mouth? Don’t take words out of MY MOUTH. I never once said anything about banning people. Chill the kitten out man.
2. I don’t give a kitten if they are roleplayers. I have nothing against roleplayers. Why do you care so much that they are roleplayers?

You are the only person in this thread who cares about either of those two points. Understand?

Exploiting is a bannable offense. Don’t call people exploiters if you don’t think they should be banned. I am talking about roleplayers because that’s what this thread is about. People should be free to roleplay/chat anywhere for as long as they want without being branded ‘exploiters’, period.

Posted by: Leiloni.7951

Leiloni.7951

Man, go home and have a few glasses of wine.

Posted by: AlexanderFaust.4518

AlexanderFaust.4518

This thread isn’t going to end well.

I agree..

Right now, you’ve got::

1. The OP asking any RPers to simply be “courteous” and remove themselves from a location in the event that an actual “event” is bugged thus counting the RPers as participants.. thus raising the difficulty.

2. Then you have others thinking that perhaps the reason the RPers don’t want to move is because they KNOW the event is bugged.. and are exploiting the system for free rewards *(if the event “counts” the RPers, simply because they were “there” when the event kicked off).

3. Finally, we have the VERY defensive RPer(s) that aren’t looking at the situation properly (IE: what the topic is actually about) and are getting upset that anyone dares to tell them “where they can or cannot RP”.

lol, good times on the Internets
#gets popcorn

Eochaidh.4106

RP1: My word! Do you hear that? What is that sound?

RP2: Oh, that? Nevermind that. Those would be Krait. Filthy, ill mannered creatures, one and and all. They come in from whatever hole they call home and enslave the villagers.

RP1: Enslave the villagers? Shouldn’t we do something?

RP3: Oh heavens no. Look outside the window. There are plenty battling away as is. More tea?

RP1: Delightful tea by the way, but I believe I have had my fill. But to remain on point – doesn’t our mere presence here increase the number of Krait? Aren’t our sheer numbers making it more difficult for them to fight the Krait off?

RP2: Perhaps. But that isn’t our concern. We here to have civil conversation, not fight slimy brutes in the street like common mercenaries.

RP3: Yes, it isn’t our concern at all. And if you knew the price I paid for dye at the auction house to get these town clothes looking just so, you would not be asking me to switch into that horrible looking armor right now. More cake?

To be fair, they could well have an in-character reason not to feel obliged to help villagers being kidnapped by Kraits. Perhaps they were not “heroes” as the OP assumed.

Posted by: Krimpton.4879

Krimpton.4879

So are you saying we should let people continue to do this and earn free rewards? Why do you not want people to report this as a bug that needs fixing?

Don’t take words out of my mouth. I never said that this should happen. I am saying that people should not be banned for standing there chatting or roleplaying. Can you even prove that this is an issue and that someone is actually abusing this? It makes no sense. A stupid excuse to demonize a group of roleplayers

OK.
1. Don’t take words out of your mouth? Don’t take words out of MY MOUTH. I never once said anything about banning people. Chill the kitten out man.
2. I don’t give a kitten if they are roleplayers. I have nothing against roleplayers. Why do you care so much that they are roleplayers?

You are the only person in this thread who cares about either of those two points. Understand?

Exploiting is a bannable offense. Don’t call people exploiters if you don’t think they should be banned. I am talking about roleplayers because that’s what this thread is about. People should be free to roleplay/chat anywhere for as long as they want without being branded ‘exploiters’, period.

The thread is about a group of people standing/sitting around at an event spawn point for a long period of time doing nothing to help other players in that event..

That effects others players experience of that event in a negative way…

So whatever ’’roleplaying’’ spin you want to put on it DONT DO IT whoever they are.. you are or whatever..

It’s not good manners.. PERIOD.!

Leiloni.7951

I agree..

Right now, you’ve got the OP asking any RPers to simply be “courteous” and remove themselves from a location in the event that an actual “event” is bugged thus counting the RPers as participants.. thus raising the difficulty.

Then you have others thinking that perhaps the reason the RPers don’t want to move is because they KNOW the event is bugged.. and are exploiting the system for free rewards *(if the event “counts” the RPers, simply because they were “there” when the event kicked off).

Finally, we have the VERY defensive RPer(s) that aren’t looking at the situation properly (IE: what the topic is actually about) and are getting upset that anyone dares to tell them “where they can or cannot RP”.

#gets popcorn

Incorrect, the quote was this:

They are possibly getting karma from those events as well. A lot of events will give you karma (bronze reward) if you just happen to be passing by one as it is ending. If that’s the case, they could possibly be exploiting the system by essentially camping a DE spawn point.

He’s just throwing ideas out there. Give him a break. As for me, here’s what I said:

You do get credit for events you never participated in. It is a bug I think.

As for those RPers, they were extremely rude and elitist

Read the thread, please.

(edited by Leiloni.7951)

Eochaidh.4106

3. Finally, we have the VERY defensive RPer(s) that aren’t looking at the situation properly (IE: what the topic is actually about) and are getting upset that anyone dares to tell them “where they can or cannot RP”.

#gets popcorn

[/quote]
For the record (if that was about me), I don’t RP in GW2. It’s just the “exploiter!” hysteria that pisses me off.

Eochaidh.4106

OK.

The thread is about a group of people standing/sitting around at an event spawn point for a long period of time doing nothing to help other players in that event..

That effects others players experience of that event in a negative way…

So whatever ’’roleplaying’’ spin you want to put on it DONT DO IT whoever they are.. you are or whatever..

It’s not good manners.. PERIOD.!

I totally agree, I am not saying that it is not bad manners. I am just saying that we shouldn’t assume people are exploiters if they are not helping with an event. The premise is absurd. Let’s not make this any bigger than what it actually is.

Posted by: Rpgtabbycat.5869

Rpgtabbycat.5869

pos·si·ble
? ?[pos-uh-buhl]
adjective
that may or can be, exist, happen, be done, be used, etc.: a disease with no possible cure.
that may be true or may be the case, as something concerning which one has no knowledge to the contrary: It is possible that he has already gone.

There’s a difference between “could possibly be” and “they are”

Leiloni.7951

pos·si·ble
? ?[pos-uh-buhl]
adjective
that may or can be, exist, happen, be done, be used, etc.: a disease with no possible cure.
that may be true or may be the case, as something concerning which one has no knowledge to the contrary: It is possible that he has already gone.

^^
/10kittens

Posted by: Garenthal.1480

Garenthal.1480

Was this on Piken Square in Kessex Hills, by chance? I saw something very similar play out today and all I’ll say is that some of my fellow role-players make me cringe. We’ve got a living, breathing world to interact with and yet there’s still countless role-players who would rather sit around in an inn eyeing up passing females than actually participate in events a stone’s throw away.

Posted by: MaxPriddy.1543

MaxPriddy.1543

As far as the “exploiting” argument goes, a person in the area does not make it harder for everyone else by simply being near the area, for them to get experience or even contribute to said event they have to -actively- participate, which involves attacking the event mobs or being involved in the combat by actively (not passively) buffing allies, so that argument really is quite moot.

As for my take on these types of situations, should I find myself logging into a house with people currently roleplaying in there or stumble on a tower/enclave/house etc. of roleplayers, usually a group which wouldn’t involve my character busting in anyway (unless you know, it’s a tavern or a public place, or somewhere like in a cave) I’ll politely not get myself involved and/or vacate the area, possibly apologise too if I’ve interrupted something but that is at the end of the day just me.

If I was to assume anything, it sounds like quite the misunderstanding and well, PvE is challenging.

Posted by: AlexanderFaust.4518

AlexanderFaust.4518

Ya know.. honestly, just start reporting “those” types of people in those areas.

If anything, it’ll prompt ANet to take action on those events and get’em “fixed” ~ as well as warn/ban some of the people that are simply exploiting the game.

Sure you might have a few “casualties of war” ~ but honestly, it might also prompt ANet again, to take action and create an RP server

lol, really… at the end of the day, it’s common courtesy to simply “move” if someone says that you’re unintentionally causing a problem.

But to downright “ignore the trolls” ~ lol, you deserve a ban IMO.

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

RP2: Oh, that? Nevermind that. Those would be Krait. Filthy, ill mannered creatures, one and and all. They come in from whatever hole they call home and enslave the villagers.

RP3: Oh heavens no. Look outside the window. There are plenty battling away as is. More tea?

RP1: Delightful tea by the way, but I believe I have had my fill. But to remain on point – doesn’t our mere presence here increase the number of Krait? Aren’t our sheer numbers making it more difficult for them to fight the Krait off?

RP2: Perhaps. But that isn’t our concern. We here to have civil conversation, not fight slimy brutes in the street like common mercenaries.

RP3: Yes, it isn’t our concern at all. And if you knew the price I paid for dye at the auction house to get these town clothes looking just so, you would not be asking me to switch into that horrible looking armor right now. More cake?

To be fair, they could well have an in-character reason not to feel obliged to help villagers being kidnapped by Kraits. Perhaps they were not “heroes” as the OP assumed.

Also to be fair, the OP’s reaction would also be in character… if I was a character in that village and almost died trying to defend it against a horde of kraitt, and after the battle I went into an inn to rest and refresh myself and found 10 heavily armed people just chatting around that didn’t help during the attack, I’d also yell at them (in character, of course)… actually would have been kinda fun from a roleplaying point of view to react to that (also in character) and if they did well instead of just saying “we’re roleplaying, go away” might actually end up with someone finding out that he might enjoy it instead of leaving with a bad impression of roleplayers in general…

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

Posted by: WBL.6715

WBL.6715

Lmao. Brilliant.

Eochaidh.4106

pos·si·ble
? ?[pos-uh-buhl]
adjective

Do you really want to go on with this? Again, the premise is absurd. How hard is it for you to believe that people who are roleplaying in the wilds are simply roleplaying and not exploiting? Nothing really indicates that they are exploiters, hence there is very little reason to believe that they are such. But of course, since they are ill-mannered, they must be exploiters as well, right? As I mentioned, the efficiency of this sort of exploiting with a roleplaying façade (which is hilarious) is simply ridiculous to make it viable at all. Most people just stand outside and push “1” repeatedly.

Posted by: Tassy.5891

Tassy.5891

They were not hurting anyone, nor are they “griefing” as people like to cry out these days. Role players are fine, leave them be an they will always leave you be.

Eochaidh.4106

Also to be fair, the OP’s reaction would also be in character… if I was a character in that village and almost died trying to defend it against a horde of kraitt, and after the battle I went into an inn to rest and refresh myself and found 10 heavily armed people just chatting around that didn’t help during the attack, I’d also yell at them (in character, of course)… actually would have been kinda fun from a roleplaying point of view to react to that (also in character) and if they did well instead of just saying “we’re roleplaying, go away” might actually end up with someone finding out that he might enjoy it instead of leaving with a bad impression of roleplayers in general…

Well, I do have an issue with people who simply isolate themselves from everyone else and just don’t accept any sort of input from a non-guild member, it really is quite idiotic. Happens a lot with RP guilds in other games. There is no doubt that the behavior of such roleplayers was quite poor if the circumstances are true.

Leiloni.7951

pos·si·ble
? ?[pos-uh-buhl]
adjective

Do you really want to go on with this? Again, the premise is absurd. How hard is it for you to believe that people who are roleplaying in the wilds are simply roleplaying and not exploiting?

He didn’t say they were exploiting….

Posted by: Nageth.5648

Nageth.5648

While I’m not really an RPer I don’t help out in the Norn DE where you have to go save the jerk boyfriend after he gets kicked out for being a jerk. So it isn’t exactly hard to come up with a reason not to do a DE (but you should leave the area to not inflate the difficulty for no reason).

Posted by: ChaosKirin.1328

ChaosKirin.1328

At the moment, if you’re in the orange circle, the event scales up. Doesn’t matter if you’re hitting things with your sword or not.

They were not hurting anyone, nor are they “griefing” as people like to cry out these days. Role players are fine, leave them be an they will always leave you be

They were hurting everyone participating in the event my making it harder by a decent factor. Ten people in an event area not participating in an event brings the difficulty to near-impossible.

I too have gotten random bronze medals from events I didn’t participate in. The only thing I can figure is that getting any EXP in those events, whether by gathering or killing a random mob, will give you credit for the event. I haven’t tested this, and I probably won’t, because I don’t want to get tagged for exploiting. But I do think that is how it works.

Anyway, that means that the RPers weren’t exploiting, because if they were sitting in a building, they weren’t getting XP from gathering or killing things, so the point is moot.

I am a roleplayer, but I do my RP on environments outside games like GW2, usually. Having grown up making story-like posts, I find a gaming environment too limiting for my tastes.

If this wasn’t griefing in itself, I’d get a bunch of people from the event together and train the mobs into the RPer’s area so they’d either help with the event they were scaling up or die.

Posted by: Ashmedai.8736

Ashmedai.8736

If I was one of those RPing in the tavern and someone ean in and was asking for help in character I would have my armour on and my best battle quotes ready to go. Those other people were not really RPers… they were just using the game as a chat room with pretty pictures.

Posted by: Feycat.4370

Feycat.4370

>> A) I can imagine that if they were there for any length of time, they’d tune out the events like that simply due to frequency. Otherwise they’d have to pretend they stepped into a Groundhog Day loop or something.

One of the most fun RP sessions I had was at the krait attacking the lab event just near the swamp-dragon spawn. We got so exasperated with the constant fountain of krait… but we NEVER ignored the event and pretended it wasn’t happening.

If “those guys weren’t the heroes you assume they are” – then maybe they should stay safe in DR and away from dynamic events, hmm?

As an avid hardcore RPer, I’m sorry you ran into those kittenbags. “RPers” who treat the game like a chatroom instead of LIVING in the world give me hives.

Game enjoyment increases as time spent on the forums decreases.

Posted by: RJMazz.6798

RJMazz.6798

Those guys were suck kitten roleplayers, I hope Odin sticks a Lightning Spear up their kitten so they realize the bunch of pussies they are.

That’s just my opinion, long story short, OP. You’re the one right in the situation.

-Ikkan

Posted by: Kana.6793

Kana.6793

Wow, those people sound like a bunch of rude jerks.

Even putting aside the poor behaviour on their part, telling you to go away because they’re RPing doesn’t make a lot of sense to me. Surely if they’re playing in character it’s pretty peculiar to sit in a tavern sipping beer while vicious monsters rise out of the lake and drag villagers away?

These are the kind of people who give RPer’s a bad reputation. They can’t show basic manners and consideration to other players, but they’ll have a fit if someone dares to say “lol” in their presence. Respect goes both ways.

Posted by: Pandemoniac.4739

Pandemoniac.4739

I’m not a role player, but I do enjoy giving rpers material to work with. I have to say some of my more enjoyable exchanges with folks online have been drive-by rping where I’ll interact for a couple of moments and then head off to whatever I was doing.

The folks described by the OP are terrible RPers if their reaction to another player coming in after the event and telling them, in character, that they’re cowardly layabouts was (( ignore the troll )).

It’s shameful really that they think that’s role playing. I despise the (()) convention. If you’re in character, stay in character, and that includes telling someone to get lost.

Don’t ever think you know what’s right for the other person.
He might start thinking he knows what’s right for you.
—Paul Williams

Posted by: Dark.7235

Dark.7235

Well, I have to say thus far my experiences with the role players has not been very good. I have since began to block them, and avoid areas of the game where they hang out. My numberone issue was the snobbery and elitism that I ran into in the queens forrest. There was a role playing fellow tending bar there in the lodge. He was a quite pleasant chap and was entertaining because he added a certain element to the game. An interactive “npc” of sorts welcoming people and striking up conversations. Not being a RPer I did stay around a while and intereact with him, unfortunatly after some time, a RP guild showed up and basically told him they had reserved the tavern on some forums somewhere, on some obscure site that 99% of GW2 players have no knowledge of. They informed him that he had to go away because it wasnt “His Turn” He gracefully left and soon came back on another toon to join the “Play” As I stood there, in the lodge, where EVERY player who enters the area can start and event with the lodgemaster to fight the champion boar, I continued to attempt to converse with these “Rude” RPrs who basically told me to shut up, if I didnt like to go somewhere else. Well thats nice and all but that area has a heart and dynamic event. I think they need to add some instances that these RP people can go into and not bother the people who actually play. At this point, in my opinion the RPrs, at least these I am speaking of, are just wasteing server space that people who actually want to play the game could use. Short of banning RP, They need to be given areas they can go in an instance where they wont bother people or interfere with events, or even other people who are trying to be friendly.
The snobbery and elite air these guys put off turn most actual players off and that in turn is going to drive away paying customers. It was ok and tolerable at first because it was isolated taverns in towns and such, but now its becoming of plauge purportions and you can easily run into them in any explorable at any structure, near hearts and events, sucking up bandwitdth, causeing extra lag, scaleing bosses and events higher in difficulty. I understand they paid for the game just like everyone else, but at theses taverns and lodges and like places, add an instance they can go in please. pretty please, this is a way to solve the issues and satisfy both sides of the coin.
Otherwise normal players are gonna start leaving the game, its really becoming a nusance, worse than a burrow of Skritt!

Im sure I’ll get blasted in the usual overbearing manner the RPrs exhibit, but I know some others out there must be feeling and thinking the same thing. so for all its worth… Just sayin’
BTW these Role Players WERE OPO

(edited by Dark.7235)

Posted by: Varielle.9074

Varielle.9074

I’m a roleplayer myself and I find it absolutely disgusted at the way the OP is being treated. IMO, they need to react IC as to why they are not lending a hand instead of breaking character/going OOC and calling OP a troll.

It just doesn’t give others a good impression about Roleplayers and discourages newcomers from participating in it.

Dark.7235

I can definatly say, I would have considered myself a newcomer interacting with the one guy in the lodge. I was interested, he was teaching me how to say and do, whats polite and not. Then OPO comes along and refuses to acknowledge or help, only to tell me to shut up and to leave. So my “newcomer” experience lasted about 30 mins. I would pretty much say im done and am not for the RPrs.

Posted by: Passiflora.2047

Passiflora.2047

I have gotten bronzes for events I either didn’t know were going on or events that I have seen pass me by. Of these possible conclusions I could have made:

1. This is a bug, oh no!
2. I’d better not accidentally not participate in events anymore, I might be exploiting!
3. Oh, that DE involved killing x type of mob, and I have killed several of those in the past few minutes. That must’ve counted towards as DE participation.

I went with the third one.

Though I don’t make a habit of it, there have been occasions where I have been in an area with a DE nearby and for some reason have not participated in it — maybe I had done it 3 times already that day, or maybe I was just really intent on finishing whatever I was doing with my skills/traits or what have you. Yet I can’t ever recall being awarded a medal for standing around by an event doing nothing!

And do DE’s really scale to the number of people in the area? According to the wiki:
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dynamic_event
events scale up or down according to the number of people actively participating. If that isn’t the case, IMHO it should be!

Oh, and regarding the RP’ers the OP mentioned — they did sound quite rude and I am sorry you had to deal with that. But my first thought was, maybe they’ve been there before while the DE was going or had been there long enough to have the DE repeat.

RP’er 1: Oh no! The krait are kidnapping the villagers, we must save them from slavery!
RP’er 2: Again?
RP’er 3: I don’t know why we bother rescuing these people, this is the fifth time this week!
RP’er 2: And we’ll just have to rescue them again tomorrow.
RP’er 1: . . . so, more tea, then?

Just to be clear, I’m not a RP’er, but thought I’d play devil’s advocate here. No offence is intended, and I certainly believe that there is no excuse for being rude, or for calling someone a troll for no reason!

(edited by Passiflora.2047)

Dark.7235

I dont feel its the small instances of calling people trolls, it adds up. Its happened to more than one, just read map chat in these areas, I think its causeing an unfriendly environment, I am pretty sure the dev team has said clearly multiple times, they dnt want an unfriendly environment. Make tavern/lodge/ect instances for them.. simple.

Posted by: Varielle.9074

Varielle.9074

I can definatly say, I would have considered myself a newcomer interacting with the one guy in the lodge. I was interested, he was teaching me how to say and do, whats polite and not. Then OPO comes along and refuses to acknowledge or help, only to tell me to shut up and to leave. So my “newcomer” experience lasted about 30 mins. I would pretty much say im done and am not for the RPrs.

I get what you mean. I never liked those Roleplaying guilds who are extremely snobby and exclusive. If you aren’t in their circle, you are literally non-existent. It does nothing to help the community at all and just gives the rest a bad name.

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

So I suppose that when you do a dungeon, you’re morally obligated to have every player who asks join in?

Get real. It may have taken quite some effort to setup some sort of special event. And to have it change story or location just because it was in your way is asking way to much. It was their event, so their choice wheter to include you or not.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

Dark.7235

Problem with that ThiBash, is that this scheduled “Reserved” event was in a public area on public server areas where NORMAL people are going to be in and out constantly merching, why should normal players have to make special arrangements just to PLAY the game, use the merchants, start events? Thats the snobbery and elitism I am talking about EXACTLY!
Im just saying right now, I dont think this will end in a good way for the Role Playing community as they currently are, and it sure doesnt help their interactions with the game community, it tarnishes their reputations, makes people look down on them, they RPrs are classing themselves in a negative image to the general population who plays the game. Its not gonna end well. There seems to be some heavy organization behind these groups, their leaders need to come out into the game community hold some public relations events, introduce themselves, teach people ect. Instead of just being pushy bullies. If the Role Players continue down this path, I can see them starting to get bans and suspensions, This is a new game and they want to to be more friendly to a majority of players, People who interfere with that wont last terribly long. Its just Good Public Relations on NcSoft and Anets part to ensure the game is friendly to all. Sometimes that means bans for people.

(edited by Dark.7235)

Posted by: Feycat.4370

Feycat.4370

Well, something that people should keep in mind is that “roleplayers” are not a unified population. Some kittenbags who are lording it over an area aren’t really “reflecting” badly on the rest of RPers, per se. They are jerks, and should be regarded as jerks.

Just because an RPer – or an RP guild – is rude to you, don’t let it generalize you to the whole hobby. After all, you could just as easily say “this guild of MMOers was rude to me, that tarnishes the reputation of all MMO players!”

Game enjoyment increases as time spent on the forums decreases.

Posted by: Jack of Tears.9458

Jack of Tears.9458

Well, I have to say thus far my experiences with the role players has not been very good.

Yup, you got some crap RPers … they are out there, my oh my are they out there.

BUT there are a lot of very cool, very awesome roleplayers out there as well – don’t let the snobs turn out away from what could be a fun hobby.

If you’re on Tarnished Coast, look me up, I am usually willing to jump into some casual rp while running around doin’ missions, exploring, or hitting the lodges in Hoelbrak for their beer. I’m friendly, no pressure kinda gal, what is willing ta help you out all you want and won’t make fun of you for not knowing something, or making a fauxpas.

Seriously, if I can’t turn your impression of the RPG community around in 1-2 hours of rping with me I will admit defeat.

I’m sorry I stepped outta yer box, don’ worry, if
ya whine enough they’ll put me right back.

Dark.7235

Feycat if you read up I did mention the guild lol. It was OPO in that specific instance. But that was just an example, I have had more encounters with them than just the one, and so have others, and unfortunatly it puts you instantly on the defensive when you see any RPrs because you just dont know what to expect. Causes and uneasy feeling now everytime.

Dark.7235

Jack Of Tears, well Like I said there was the one guy whom I wont name, he was awesome, causual and interesting. unfortunatly he seems or feels to be in minority.

To the misfortune of RPrs who seem to be on the level, I think by far more players are running into the bad eggs instead of the good seeds.

Eochaidh.4106

Problem with that ThiBash, is that this scheduled “Reserved” event was in a public area on public server areas where NORMAL people are going to be in and out constantly merching, why should normal players have to make special arrangements just to PLAY the game, use the merchants, start events? Thats the snobbery and elitism I am talking about EXACTLY!
Im just saying right now, I dont think this will end in a good way for the Role Playing community as they currently are, and it sure doesnt help their interactions with the game community, it tarnishes their reputations, makes people look down on them, they RPrs are classing themselves in a negative image to the general population who plays the game. Its not gonna end well. There seems to be some heavy organization behind these groups, their leaders need to come out into the game community hold some public relations events, introduce themselves, teach people ect. Instead of just being pushy bullies. If the Role Players continue down this path, I can see them starting to get bans and suspensions, This is a new game and they want to to be more friendly to a majority of players, People who interfere with that wont last terribly long. Its just Good Public Relations on NcSoft and Anets part to ensure the game is friendly to all. Sometimes that means bans for people.

RPers are “NORMAL” people too, you know. These are people who have their own ways of enjoying the game, just as PvPers or dungeon aficionados. Just as there are rotten apples on the latter groups it doesn’t mean all of their players are like that. It is a pretty low attitude to generalize a whole group as “pushy elitist bullies” just because you had a bad experience with a few of them. And really, no one is ever going to get banned for roleplaying, that would be terrible public relations.

Dark.7235

lmao You people want to keep pulling that “One experience” thing I have repeatedly said, ITS NOT JUST THE ONE EXPERIENCE! It has been by far 99% of my experiences with RPrs in GW2 were bad, I see other people in game and on forums saying the same thing, so ignore the problems and issues your fellow RPrs cause but it still reflets on all RPrs because in many cases that the only interactions un Non Rprs get with you!

Eochaidh.4106

@Dark
I don’t see the issue. If you’re tired of dealing with them, just ignore. It’s not like they can do anything to you. If it bothers you that much to see people RP, just move to a non-RP server. What is the point of making a big deal out of this? Bad people exist everywhere.

Posted by: TheUndefined.1720

TheUndefined.1720

Leiloni, and really anyone else joining this thread – please stop arguing with Eochiadh. This person already posted their thoughts, and just wants to continue to argue their point.

Let’s stay on topic instead of arguing with someone that simply wants to cause a ruckus.

I really appreciate every post here from our fellow RP’ers. I think the consensus here is that group acted rudely.

Honestly, I’d say the next time that happens move on to another event. Let the Krait enslave the village. Come back and watch these ‘RPers’ role-play in a burning village with villagers /crying all around them. Let the Krait take over the city, and have them deal with it.

Also, as another post stated, call out in map chat. I would also take note of the guild name and attempt to contact their guild master. Politely explain the situation, and ask if there’s anyway they could direct their member’s events some place away from known dynamic event areas.

(edited by TheUndefined.1720)

Posted by: Pandemoniac.4739

Pandemoniac.4739

And really, no one is ever going to get banned for roleplaying, that would be terrible public relations.

Yes, I don’t think being a jerk is a bannable act, unless you’re a really offensive jerk. Just being elitist and rude doesn’t cut it.

@ThiBash – If folks don’t respect my “personal space” so to speak, they shouldn’t expect me to respect theirs.

I never interfere with the RPers if they aren’t interfering with me. If they’re in my way, I will RP a little with them to let them know and most of them are cool with that and work it in to whatever they’re doing so that I can get on with what I’m doing. I haven’t run into any situations in GW2 that I felt the RPers were in my way though. I’m doubtful they had any impact on the Krait slaver event – that one is rough if it’s the one I’m thinking of.

On the other hand, is it so hard to be polite to someone who’s trying to speak to you in your language? Half the fun of RPing is reacting to the unexpected paths other folks’ take the story. To this day, I remember a D&D session a couple decades ago (ugh more than two, I’m ancient) where we were adventuring through some cave and the DM threw a giant spider at us. All of my companions readied their spells and their weapons, but when it came to me, I ran as fast as I could the other direction (I hate spiders, and all of my characters at the time did too). The result was comical and fun and involved people getting knocked down and fireballs misfiring. I guarantee you that wasn’t what the DM had originally planned, but he rolled with it and we had a blast.

Don’t ever think you know what’s right for the other person.
He might start thinking he knows what’s right for you.
—Paul Williams

Posted by: Hellkaiser.6025

Hellkaiser.6025

Roleplaying, ya know… I don’t hate the folk that do it, it’s a bit of fun on a game night and some people really do put the effort in to it, but a lot of the time they’re literally doing it in a manner that seems pointless.

“I am a villain trapped in the body of an intended hero!”

That phrase springs to mind, when I hear the whole “well maybe they weren’t heroes”
The game intends us to be heroes, maybe they could alter their intended motivations, a person who does good for monetary gain may still be viewed as a hero of sorts or anti-hero. But to “ignore the troll” because you are too lazy to kill some krait or move along is just rude and ignorant and for a “niche” part of the community to act like that makes me want to vomit, they complain when they’re critiqued or made fun of for adding a layer of immersion to the game, but they then in the same breath out and out refuse to PLAY the bloody game, there are plenty of non combat games which afford you the ability to sit around like that, they don’t need to disrupt the guildwars2 ingame like they did.
By all means, stay in character all you like stick to little groups of rp’ers and create the negative views about rp’ers being far too serious, that you will inevitably complain about. But don’t treat the game like second life: tyria.

Irony…. xD

Tassy.5891

Amazing how all you people call those guys silly schoolyard names, an demand they play the way you dictate the game be played. Instead of crying to the Devs an demanding your hands be held, how about you ask other people to help you.

Fact is when an event spawns it is generally jumped on within 60 seconds by everyone in range. You dont know what those people were doing an it is not your right to dictate how they play. If you don’t like their game play.. MOVE AWAY lol.

It is really sad to see just how bad an how fast the community has got in GW2. Granted the forums are a tiny tiny % of the playerbase, but still..

Posted by: Hellkaiser.6025

Hellkaiser.6025

Amazing how all you people call those guys silly schoolyard names, an demand they play the way you dictate the game be played. Instead of crying to the Devs an demanding your hands be held, how about you ask other people to help you.

Fact is when an event spawns it is generally jumped on within 60 seconds by everyone in range. You dont know what those people were doing an it is not your right to dictate how they play. If you don’t like their game play.. MOVE AWAY lol.

It is really sad to see just how bad an how fast the community has got in GW2. Granted the forums are a tiny tiny % of the playerbase, but still..

They arrogantly called the OP here a “troll” for trying to be polite and not breaking their immersion experience at the time and being respectful, you’re attempting to vilify us for reacting negatively to their rudeness and failure to help a fellow player who asked for it, where they obliged to help by the ToS? no, but it was bad form and shouldn’t be encouraged, They’re the ones that are forsaking the ACTUAL GAMEPLAY to instead turn the game into a second life: tyria as I stated already, no one is claiming that their roleplay however was the problem, it was more their attitudes, something you’re VERY quick to overlook and condemn others for….

Not sure if serious, or just flame baiting, REALLY BADLY

Irony…. xD

Posted by: CharrGirl.7896

CharrGirl.7896

That sounds extremely rude :/ But I don’t understand that concept of “role-playing”, what, people just join together and act stuff?

Posted by: Golgathoth.3967

Golgathoth.3967

Thankfully on Tarnished Coast, I haven’t run into any actual jerky RPers. In fact, the ones in Divinity’s Reach are pretty fun – I decided to run around unarmored on my female Sylvari, and rather than them telling me to stop breaking immersion or something, it got some amusing RP responses.

Sylvari: 7 Humans: 3 Charr: 2 Norn: 1 Asura: 0
“Tarnished Coast” since head start!

Tassy.5891

Charrgirl most RP’ers will argue with each other on what rates as “role playing”, none of them can agree on it so its usually a case of each to their own, an let them get on with it. What we se here is a group just minding their own biz an doing their thing. You can bet they were being screamed at an called all sorts with demands an threats etc, so when that was ignored this sort of thread pops up.