Dont account bound the birthday blaster

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: saventis.1485

saventis.1485

Its fine as is
The present is for your character turning 2 years old
its a gift be grateful
i have it on 1 of my 6 characters for the record
its like an achievment saying good job for sticking with this character so long.
Wait long enough and your other characters will get it as well

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

its a gift be grateful

In real life you include a gift receipt for a reason.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

its a gift be grateful

That’s actually a relatively new thing, and many still consider it to be in bad taste except in very select instances.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

saventis.1485

iv never done that nor expected it
where im from were greatful to recieve things
and dont complain because its not exactly what we wanted
free gifts are free gifts take it or leave it
i mean really…
ungreatful

Morsus.5106

i mean really…
ungreatful

So if the person already has one, do you yell at them for being ungrateful when they don’t use it? It’s totally fair for people to ask for a change to an item that will go unused otherwise.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

I’d rather have a single account level birthday present than individual character ones, because I’d rather be free to delete an old character without the feeling of losing years worth of progress. Luckily GW2 isn’t following the GW1 route with RNG presents, so it’s not as bad.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

i mean really…
ungreatful

If this was a personal gift, given from person to person, I would agree with you.

It’s not. It’s handed out by an automated script that cares nothing about you or your character. Telling the devs “this item would be a lot more awesome if you adjust this one field in the datafile” is hardly being ungrateful.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

saventis.1485

i mean really…
ungreatful

So if the person already has one, do you yell at them for being ungrateful when they don’t use it? It’s totally fair for people to ask for a change to an item that will go unused otherwise.

well i dont yell at anyone and no cause its toatally up to them if they want to use it.
i mean they earned it didnt they?

saventis.1485

I’d rather have a single account level birthday present than individual character ones, because I’d rather be free to delete an old character without the feeling of losing years worth of progress. Luckily GW2 isn’t following the GW1 route with RNG presents, so it’s not as bad.

i can see your point but what there trying to do is give youthat sort of connection with your character
thats what the whole cosmetic thing is about
they want you to think oh no i dont want to delete… Lilly(random name)
iv had her for as long as i can remember i did blah blah blah
they want you to have it feel difficult to delete a long loved character instead of monthly throw aways or w/e

LanfearShadowflame.3189

So, I could go either way on the account binding of this particular gift, as it does have some pros and cons in either binding. I’m kind of “meh” on this gift overall.

Morsus.5106

i mean really…
ungreatful

well i dont yell at anyone and no cause its toatally up to them if they want to use it.

If they “earned” it, don’t they deserve to ask for something more? Your posts are just getting more and more confusing. Do they deserve something because they earned it, or is this a gift? The definition of a gift is as follows: “a thing given willingly to someone without payment; a present.” If it’s without payment, they did not earn it. It it’s earned, they paid for something and have the right to complain.

Posted by: Blix.8021

Blix.8021

Sorry, but my character didn’t earn squat. I paid to preorder the game, I made the characters, I earned the loot. Let me use it on any character I want, please.

saventis.1485

i mean really…
ungreatful

If they “earned” it, don’t they deserve to ask for something more? Your posts are just getting more and more confusing. Do they deserve something because they earned it, or is this a gift? The definition of a gift is as follows: “a thing given willingly to someone without payment; a present.” If it’s without payment, they did not earn it. It it’s earned, they paid for something and have the right to complain.

i think of it as an achivement chest of sorts
“congradulations you achieved two years on this character”
except it dosnt have achieve points
(calling it now new soul bound achievs)

(edited by saventis.1485)

saventis.1485

i mean would you have rather have just gotten last years present again?
( maybe cause then the scrolls would stack lol)

Posted by: Hechicera.9816

Hechicera.9816

its a gift be grateful

That’s actually a relatively new thing, and many still consider it to be in bad taste except in very select instances.

Odd. I was taught to do this by my grandmother, who has been deceased for decades and was born in the 1800s.

Posted by: ShadowPuppet.3746

ShadowPuppet.3746

I’m with you on this, I can’t understand why it is character based instead of account based. In the beginning I created and deleted lots of characters over the first few weeks and months until I figured out exactly what I wanted. In fact I am still doing this, trying out various race and profession combinations just to try and keep things fresh. As it stands now I have one character left that is basically from the game start and even it is a few weeks older than when I actually started playing the game, so I am always on a delay.

Posted by: Ayakaru.6583

Ayakaru.6583

its a gift be grateful

People only do that if the gift is very specific, like a piece of clothing.
Normally, in holland at least, it’s considered an insult when you leave a price tag or include a receipt. It’s like saying; this is how much you mean to me and not a cent more.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

its a gift be grateful

Odd. I was taught to do this by my grandmother, who has been deceased for decades and was born in the 1800s.

You were taught that its ok to tell some they are only worth “x” amount of money? How tacky…

Posted by: ArmoredVehicle.2849

ArmoredVehicle.2849

I understand this is a gift but in all honesty, it’s useless to me since it sits on my ranger and I don’t play it often anymore.

Currently I have an ele which is only 1 week old and I’m loving it a lot and would like to put this item on him.

Why would I have to wait 2 years to be able to use an item I already have, on a character of my choice?

Like I said in the other thread, those who want to keep it on their original character fine do as you wish, but there’s no need to go ruining the fun for the others just because they want to use it on multiple characters.

This looks similar to when Legendary weapons became account bound.

My point in the end: The More options the better.

Posted by: Lazuli.2098

Lazuli.2098

Its fine as is
The present is for your character turning 2 years old
its a gift be grateful
i have it on 1 of my 6 characters for the record
its like an achievment saying good job for sticking with this character so long.

Agree

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

People only do that if the gift is very specific, like a piece of clothing.
Normally, in holland at least, it’s considered an insult when you leave a price tag or include a receipt. It’s like saying; this is how much you mean to me and not a cent more.

A gift receipt doesn’t include the price. It’s there so that if you need to you can exchange it for a different size or whatever, of course, if you’re actually getting a different size then you’re holding one in your hands and so you know the price.

Hechicera.9816

its a gift be grateful

You were taught that its ok to tell some they are only worth “x” amount of money? How tacky…

LOL! Oh my, whatever did we do without pre-printed priceless inserts.

Pre-printed receipts are indeed new. In the age before automation and computers, one of my jobs as a grandchild that cared for her as she got older was to go through all her gift receipts before they were included in the presents and using a pen mark over the price so the gift recipient would not know the price!

So, you can’t be serious, as pens had indeed been invented, and this was one of their purposes!

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

id love to have one of the blasters… but heh.. not old enough for cake cannons

LanfearShadowflame.3189

its a gift be grateful

Pre-printed receipts are indeed new. In the age before automation and computers, one of my jobs as a grandchild that cared for her as she got older was to go through all her gift receipts before they were included in the presents and using a pen mark over the price so the gift recipient would not know the price!

So, you can’t be serious, as pens had indeed been invented, and this was one of their purposes!

Different backgrounds I guess. We were taught to be happy with what we got. Receipts were absolutely never included with the gift (price scratched off via pen or otherwise). The only exceptions tended to be with clothes, and even then rarely. Edit, to clarify: If something needed to be exchanged, the gift giver tended to be the one to do it (as they kept the receipt), so that the receiver didn’t necessarily find out how much was spent. Thus none of the “I’m only worth ‘x’ to you” drama.

Actual “gift” receipts are a newer thing (they were just coming out when I was younger, and worked my “starter job” as a cashier at one of the larger retail stores in my state) and most (here) found them to be in bad taste since you don’t give the recipient a receipt. I’ve noted that mainly the “younger” generations use gift receipts and gift cards, rather than actually seeking out and giving meaningful gifts to those they care for.

(edited by LanfearShadowflame.3189)

Morsus.5106

Yes. I’ll take 24 hours of the birthday booster over this years present.

Posted by: Chameleon Dude.1564

Chameleon Dude.1564

I’ve stuck with plenty of characters and have this wonderful item on them. I just find it a bit disappointing that my newer characters can’t have some love – there isn’t always much call for my necromancer or ranger in group content, and when my friends are playing on their asuras, I’d also like to be able to play with them on mine… and fire cakes at them.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Its a bit strange it’s not account bound. Imo this would be a good item for leveling alts. All that extra exp on kills and extra karma for doing hearts, so useful.

Hechicera.9816

Different backgrounds I guess. We were taught to be happy with what we got. Receipts were absolutely never included with the gift (price scratched off via pen or otherwise). The only exceptions tended to be with clothes, and even then rarely. Edit, to clarify: If something needed to be exchanged, the gift giver tended to be the one to do it (as they kept the receipt), so that the receiver didn’t necessarily find out how much was spent. Thus none of the “I’m only worth ‘x’ to you” drama.

Actual “gift” receipts are a newer thing (they were just coming out when I was younger, and worked my “starter job” as a cashier at one of the larger retail stores in my state) and most (here) found them to be in bad taste since you don’t give the recipient a receipt. I’ve noted that mainly the “younger” generations use gift receipts and gift cards, rather than actually seeking out and giving meaningful gifts to those they care for.

We were also to be grateful, but there were three factors that may be different. One, she lived in an era where childhood mortality was higher, gifts were mailed, and including the receipt was a further kindness. If something happened to a child and the gift was mailed, the receipt allowed the person to decide how to handle it. Yes, this really was a concern, mail could take a while too.

She did very carefully select gifts she thought people would like, but she also realized that value and delight were in the eyes of the receiver. Perhaps the gift was one they liked but in a color a new spouse hated, and she was unaware? Or they simply did not like the gift but did not wish to offend her by saying so? Her goal was that they be delighted. Whether mailed or local, the receipt allowed the recipient to gain the enjoyment she intended without an added social burden of having to inform her that the original gift had failed. Many times she had to ask for hand-written receipts from clerks too. The clerks would often be complicit in trying not to reveal prices on exchanges! I can’t imagine that today. But better the receipt was to her, the buyer, in case she learned of a circumstance making the gift inappropriate before it was sent/given.

Besides, she pointed out that a busy-body would try to find out the price anyway so they could take offense! Today they can just look up the price online even easier.

Posted by: xev.9476

xev.9476

Why is it that everytime someone raises either a legitimate complaint or requests a minor QoL improvement some kitten has to make a thread demanding the maintenance of the status quo just because?

Posted by: Krag.6210

Krag.6210

Why is it that everytime someone raises either a legitimate complaint or requests a minor QoL improvement some kitten has to make a thread demanding the maintenance of the status quo just because?

I for one would really like it to be account bound instead, I haven’t played my first character for almost a year and he’s the one to get all the new cool stuff while my main character who could really make use of the birthday blaster just got another useless mini jennah.

Posted by: Krag.6210

Krag.6210

Don’t bother, it’s the usual case of “I don’t have a problem with the way things are so no one else should”.

I for one would really like it to be account bound instead, I haven’t played my first character for almost a year and he’s the one to get all the new cool stuff while my main character who could really make use of the birthday blaster just got another useless mini jennah.

Astral Projections.7320

It’s possible the gifts are account bound until opened. If so, people can get a gift, give it to the char that they can really use it on and then open it.

Posted by: Breezer.9273

Breezer.9273

You get the birthday gift once and that’s it, not once per character. I know this because I created all 8 of my now lvl 80 toons within the 1st 10 min of the pre-purchase release.

I was looking forward to this years birthday gift just to be let down, all 4 items are completely useless to most players who’ve been around the 2 years.

First of all, the experience booster that makes a toon lvl 20 doesn’t stack with the ones we got last year and how many players are going to buy a new slot and create a new toon just to use this? I already have 18 toons (16 are above lvl 20 and other 2 are parked at jumping puzzles).

Secondly, The skill point scroll. Big woopi, you get these (well the 1 skill point ones) on a regular basis. Although skill points are very useful for many things, when you’ve been playing for 2 years, you’re less likely to need this scroll.

Item 3 the Birthday Booster, ultimately the only decent thing from the year 2 birthday gift.

Finally, the Birthday Blaster. I thought this item was cool initially, but when I noticed it’s soulbound, you only get one birthday gift per account, and it doesn’t stack with food it then becomes another item to clutter my inventory or bank.

I was very disappointed with this year’s birthday gift.

Astral Projections.7320

You get the birthday gift once and that’s it, not once per character. I know this because I created all 8 of my now lvl 80 toons within the 1st 10 min of the pre-purchase release.

I was looking forward to this years birthday gift just to be let down, all 4 items are completely useless to most players who’ve been around the 2 years.

First of all, the experience booster that makes a toon lvl 20 doesn’t stack with the ones we got last year and how many players are going to buy a new slot and create a new toon just to use this? I already have 18 toons (16 are above lvl 20 and other 2 are parked at jumping puzzles).

Secondly, The skill point scroll. Big woopi, you get these (well the 1 skill point ones) on a regular basis. Although skill points are very useful for many things, when you’ve been playing for 2 years, you’re less likely to need this scroll.

Item 3 the Birthday Booster, ultimately the only decent thing from the year 2 birthday gift.

Finally, the Birthday Blaster. I thought this item was cool initially, but when I noticed it’s soulbound, you only get one birthday gift per account, and it doesn’t stack with food it then becomes another item to clutter my inventory or bank.

I was very disappointed with this year’s birthday gift.

Not true about only getting one gift per account.

So far I’ve checked 3 chars. Each got a gift and they all had the same things in them, including the birthday blaster.

I suggest you type /age to check your other chars birth dates. Perhaps it’s bugged.

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

its a gift be grateful

To me, that is way more tacky than anything else that’s been mentioned; this concept of: “If it’s not expensive, then I don’t matter.” How is it possibly less tacky in your mind to assume that your loved ones will start drama over the price of a gift because you believe they feel it is a measurement of how much you care? Or, alternately, how is it less tacky to take your sense of worth based on the value of a gift?

What a gift is is what’s meaningful, not the price tag.

Also, the level 20 scrolls were baffling as a first year anniversary gift. As a second year gift, though, it’s almost humorous. The message sent by this gift is, “Buy more alts!”

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

Also, you can get Blasters from the Birthday Vendor for free as long as you’re 2 years old.

Posted by: TehPwnerer.7215

TehPwnerer.7215

People are greedy, whiny children. Keep it how it’s been for almost 10 years since Gw1. Leave presents character-bound.

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Yes. I’ll take 24 hours of the birthday booster over this years present.

You do realize the birthday booster is also in the birthday present, right? You get both.

Besides, this gives an infinite supply of an actually decent food that you can even share with your friends. It’s way better than the Jennah parade we got for the first birthday.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

ShadowPuppet.3746

Step 1: Create a character.
Step 2: Find someone with a birthday blaster to follow you into WvW.
Step 3: Realize how twinked you have become.
Step 4: Recruit more lowbies to come join in on the gank train.
Step 5: Profit

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

They patched that about half an hour ago.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

LanfearShadowflame.3189

To me, that is way more tacky than anything else that’s been mentioned; this concept of: “If it’s not expensive, then I don’t matter.” How is it possibly less tacky in your mind to assume that your loved ones will start drama over the price of a gift because you believe they feel it is a measurement of how much you care? Or, alternately, how is it less tacky to take your sense of worth based on the value of a gift?

What a gift is is what’s meaningful, not the price tag.

While I don’t disagree, people are…weird. I’ve stopped trying to understand them a very long time ago

ShadowPuppet.3746

They patched that about half an hour ago.

Lol, of corpse they did…fare thee well my sweet blaster you shall be missed.