Female Asura's carapace butterfly shoulders!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Kuess.1842

Kuess.1842

I’m wondering if it really is so hard to give us the right shoulder skin for this one. I feel cheated a bit. I see a cute butterfly on my thief human. But my main, engi asura is not allowed to have the cute butterfly, because she’s Asura.

I’m a female player, with a female main. I want a butterfly on my shoulder as well. This whole asura females getting male armors is a bit discriminating. I get that it’s hard to design blablabla. But it’s a thing you should fix imho :S For all armor sets. Or at least give us butterflies as well :S

There are probably tons of topics on this matter. But I had to get this out of my system. I like the carapace armor, and the way to get it. It’s rewarding. Untill I saw that butterfly on my thief….

Posted by: Artanis.4963

Artanis.4963

Unfortunately, Asura and Charr both tend to receive the male version of any armor or outfits.

It was probably a bit of laziness on Arena Net’s part early on, but at this point there are likely a significant portion of players who enjoy having the male versions on their female Asura and Charr characters, and would be just as sad as we are that those skins suddenly became unavailable. I know there are a few skins that do change for female Asura and Charr, and in some of those I have wished that the male version was available (Ancestral Outfit, for example).

The compromise, splitting existing item skins into two new skins to preserve existing looks and satisfy us, is frankly a huge amount of work; and I do not criticize Arena Net for deciding not to do that.

Posted by: Kuess.1842

Kuess.1842

Well I do. Plus it’s strange. Giving male armor to female characters. Of course ppl would get dissapointed when skins they use are unavailable anymore. But that’s besides the point. The point is that it shouldnt have been like this to begin with.

Maybe I’m to female/girlish for this discussion….but for once I would like my asura girl to look like one, and not just by dying male armor pink.

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

I always loved the decision to give female asuras and charr the male versions of armor.

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

Posted by: Kumion.7580

Kumion.7580

I’m with vespers— I really appreciate that asura and charr have mostly non-gendered armors. I feel insulted when I find an armor/outfit for my female asura that was girlified with ruffles and butt-bows like the bookah races who think gendered clothes are important.

Posted by: Jack.4082

Jack.4082

I am with vespers. I like it the way it is.

I don’t like a lot of skins for female Norn, humans and Sylvari, plus they’d look weird on a flat chested Asura. Though I admit I understand that you like the butterfly shoulders and feel cheated. They are cute. My human Engi is running around with those, even though they match horrible with the kit hobosacks

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

If you want to be super cute and girlish you’re playing the wrong culture. Asura don’t care. Have you ever once heard any Asura talking about clothes? No, they’re talking about building things, changing the fabric of the universe and other intellectual pursuits. That’s what Asura care about. Clothes are just a functional necessity because that’s where their pockets go, and pockets are useful for holding tools.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

While I like that the female Asura and Charr aren’t put into “female” armors just because they are female, when ANet does make a cool feature on one armor like the butterfly shoulder, they really should make sure the opposite sex has it also.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Hannelore.8153

Hannelore.8153

I think that the cultural taboo no longer applies as strongly as it used to. Over the past few years the Asura have clearly inherited alot of influence from the other races, as you can see with the additions to their makeover kits, which have them looking more feminine than ever (yes even the males).

This is not too suprising since if you’re familiar with lore as far as we know the Asura do not actually have hair and wear wigs to “fit in” with the other races.

Its also a common misconception that all Asura are smart and build things, otherwise the Vigil would not have any Asura in it.

Daisuki [SUKI] LGBT-Friendly Guild Leader | NA – Jade Quarry
I’m usually really sweet… but this an internet forum and you know how it has to be.
/i’m a lesbiab… lesbiam… less bien… GIRLS/

(edited by Hannelore.8153)

Posted by: LucosTheDutch.4819

LucosTheDutch.4819

This whole asura females getting male armors is a bit discriminating.

I get your complaint OP, but how in the world is this discriminating?

If anything, it’s the opposite! I think giving females different (and usually more skimpy) armor skins for the same armor is more “discriminating” than giving females the exact same armor skins as males.

Posted by: LucosTheDutch.4819

LucosTheDutch.4819

Its also a common misconception that all Asura are smart and build things, otherwise the Vigil would not have any Asura in it.

>implying that Vigil members aren’t smart nor build things.

My guardian feels insulted and would like a word with you!

Posted by: Siphaed.9235

Siphaed.9235

This whole asura females getting male armors is a bit discriminating.

I get your complaint OP, but how in the world is this discriminating?

If anything, it’s the opposite! I think giving females different (and usually more skimpy) armor skins for the same armor is more “discriminating” than giving females the exact same armor skins as males.

Double this agreement! Separate clothing is far more discriminating than shared/same clothing.

Plus, if female Asura received a butterfly shoulder, I’d feel discriminated against on my male Asura who is without.

Posted by: doombreaker.3710

doombreaker.3710

So i have a male human mesmer and would like to have the butterfly as well. I would really appreciate if this sexist reason “males can’t wear butterflies” could be overcome. Especially when we already have purple butterfly animations…

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

A lot of the responses in this thread are just sad. Of course female Asura and Charr should have access to the female versions of the armor. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise OP. They are not the boss of you.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

Posted by: kimeekat.2548

kimeekat.2548

I’m sorry, OP :( I want butterflies on my boys, too.

Armor sets have always been done in a silly manner in GW2 (and most games). It’s not right for Charr and Asura to be gated out of “female” clothes. It’s also not right imo for one gender in a set to look wildly different from the other gender. Just make them two different sets if they need to have such vastly different aesthetics. The gender gap in armor shouldn’t be that radical, anyways.

Clove Zolan – Bringers of Aggro [Oops] – Blackgate

Posted by: Lady Minuit.3186

Lady Minuit.3186

+1
I agree with op. So many times I was disappointed by this.
They also often do that with outfits. Outfits are already the lazy route so at least make it gender specific.

And if its about equality, then try give the female version to the guys see how they like it. Yea don’t think they would like it either.

Lady Minuit

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

I wish they’d make all the outfits for charr and asura use the male version, because the female one always looks awful on them.

Posted by: Brutalistik.6473

Brutalistik.6473

If you want to be super cute and girlish you’re playing the wrong culture. Asura don’t care. Have you ever once heard any Asura talking about clothes? No, they’re talking about building things, changing the fabric of the universe and other intellectual pursuits. That’s what Asura care about. Clothes are just a functional necessity because that’s where their pockets go, and pockets are useful for holding tools.

Then you have to remember that not every Asura or Charr will follow the same trend once exposed to new concepts. Some may have interest in wearing super cute girlish clothes.

I always loved the decision to give female asuras and charr the male versions of armor.

Yeah I understand the designer wanted to create something different for those specific female races, but let it not be tied to cosmetic armor that you buy from the store.

The main thing about creating a fantasy world is creativity and not having accessible options lowers the fun factor no matter what the theme is.

Pineapples

Posted by: Aerlen.5326

Aerlen.5326

I was disappointed when I put the shoulders on my male sylvari and BOOM, no butterflies. Butterflies are a female gendered thing now? There was absolutely no way to incorporate butterflies into the male version and it instead gets to be generic? It’s also irritating that the male versions of many armors are dull and bland and wholly covering when compared to the female ones. Also, because that’s all Charr and Asura get. When you have a race with interesting body markings like Charr it’d be nice to have options that show that off.

Also I wanted a girly asura mesmer to show those bookah how dumb and untalented they are in style – thank goodness some of the outfits AREN’T unisex on asura.

~Tarnished Coast Pride~

Forever known as “that slow guardian who can’t jump worth crap”.