Why I find the game uninteresting - From a longtime Guild Wars 1 player

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Battle Rifles.2965

Battle Rifles.2965

You still haven’t answered my question, and I guess nobody but ANet can.

Only time will tell. Later guys.

Posted by: Hieronumous.3541

Hieronumous.3541

You still haven’t answered my question, and I guess nobody but ANet can.

Only time will tell. Later guys.

You have about 40 answers. You just don’t like them.

Posted by: Razzek.1268

Razzek.1268

Battle Rifles, I completely agree with just about every point you make, especially what you say about skills. I had expected to get much more than what was provided. Right now it seems like I hardly have a choice as to what skills are available to me, and I’m always swapping between characters because no class seems all that fun to me or truly suits my style of play.

Posted by: Alente.2538

Alente.2538

Right now it seems like I hardly have a choice as to what skills are available to me, and I’m always swapping between characters because no class seems all that fun to me or truly suits my style of play.

I could not agree with you more on this point. I’ve made a ranger got it to 80 and then I Realized how bored I actually am cause of the limitation of the skills. I’ve tried all other classes and it really feels like every class is lacking so many things to suit my kind of gameplay. Having 5 skills to limit you on each weapon makes it so hard to even stick to a class. In probably every class, every weapon has 1-2 skills that I like, rest are utterly bad. I am really let down to see how LIMITED this game is compared to GW 1. They’ve said they’d introduce a new way of gaming, and customization but I hardly see anything.

Posted by: Elysian Rose.5283

Elysian Rose.5283

Agreed nearly 100%, except maybe add Tybalt Lightbringer to your list of good voice actors and interesting storylines. :P

The skill system is … just yuck. What have you done, anet?

Posted by: Hieronumous.3541

Hieronumous.3541

Agreed nearly 100%, except maybe add Tybalt Lightbringer to your list of good voice actors and interesting storylines. :P

The skill system is … just yuck. What have you done, anet?

It’s better than having a list of static skills for everykittenweapon. I honestly don’t see, nor can I understand, these alleged problems with the skill system.

Posted by: Nuxadelik.2018

Nuxadelik.2018

3000+hr in gw1 I loved that game, and yes I am dissapointed with the skills and feel limited, doubt I’ll play this game as much as the first but I still am having fun in gw2. In fact the only thing I don’t like is limited skills and no cross classing, I knew those changes were going to be there but I didnt think it would be “so limited”. and skills and buffs are way to short duration and cool downs too long, stuck on same skills and elites, no reason to change, no challenge. I am still having fun but ya I’ll be suprised if i hit 1000 hrs the pvp and wvw might captivate me for awhile. but the reason I loved gw1 is gone you removed the best part and became just another mmo like all the others, with no real new and innovative ideas (you did some things better-most of the game is subpar… no break-through mindblowing adventure), what happened to your artists? I thought you were capable of so much more. I like gw2 but don’t think I can fall in love with her. Its just sad I know I’ll get bored you totally sold out, and I feel like a fool for beliving in you.

Posted by: anthreas.2839

anthreas.2839

I love how this whole hate post doesn’t even mention the uh “Guild Wars” part of it. Have you tried PvP at all? Gotten in a guild and made a very sound sPvP team where you have to get skills to compliment your allies, and actually have to work together? I’m sorry but the competition is just awesome, and I could literally play PvP pretty much forever. Apparently you joined an MMO to play solo, not once did you mention the grouping system, or a guild(this is Guild Wars after all). Nor did you touch on explorable dungeons or crafting, or the actual combat system itself. You just sat and complained about ‘Hearts’ and Dynamic Events. The ONLY thing I agree with you on is the TP. Other than that, just another hate post. Go back to GW1 and please stop saying “The rest of us” “The majority of players” etc… Clear up the forums for people who are actually enjoying the game.

Posted by: Alex.9432

Alex.9432

To the OP… guess what Guild Wars 2 is not Guild Wars. Its different.

Posted by: Badaboom.4216

Badaboom.4216

Gw2 is better because it has jump.

Posted by: SoulTrain.2157

SoulTrain.2157

im loving this game myself. although im not sure im ready to says its better then the first one yet if ever. i miss having mhenlo and all them in my party whenever im about to go exploring. but i will say out of the 20-30 mmos ive played that guild wars 1, age of conan, and now this one is the only ones that i havent gotten bored with before i even max my first character. i guess after youve played so many games like this its basically all the same like a madden game with a new feature added in that wasnt in the previous games that supposedly will changed the way mmo’s are played, but basically its the same old thing in every mmo. still though on a mmo rating scale this will get a 8/10 from me mostly by graphics and fun factor. at first i kinda felt overwhelmed being a type of player who likes to do every possible thing and talk to every possible npc ect…. but its not so bad now. or like when walking along and getting a event near me feeling like i have to stop what im doing to be a part of it or i feel like i may miss something, but ive gotten pass that to now. so anyway gw 2 rocks and is great and i can see myself playing thorugh all the professions at least once.

Posted by: AesirValkyr.7418

AesirValkyr.7418

As a “day 1” GW 1 player, I really enjoy what they have done with GW2. As a fan, I have been following the build up of the game since they announced it. If the way they built the game is not to your liking, you should have known that a long time ago and just stayed in GW1 or moved on.

What is the point of this thread, they are not going to toss out 5+ years of development andkitten off the majority of the fan base just for you.

Posted by: skullcrusher.7849

skullcrusher.7849

That’d be great if your being there actually meant something. One of the great advantages of having your own instance (ala GW1) is that successes and failures are based solely on you and your team.

You should look into doing some dungeons.

I’ve done dungeons, and didn’t get any satisfaction from them. I’m open to trying them again, but if dungeons are all anybody has to look forward to at endgame then, well…

I dunno about you, but im so over raiding with 9 -24 other random, bad,mediocre, keyboard turner, noob, clicker or kid ( pick one ).

This way, we have a 5 man group of mates that are actuall gamers and know how to play and use ALL their skills effectively, and dungeons arnt really that bad ( well, explorer mode is brutal, but, THAT IS ENDGAME .)

This game is better then anything ive played this year ( apart from dark souls on the ps3 ).

And all the people whinging about bugs and all that other stuff, Its freaking 3 weeks old, settle down ….Fixes will happenkitten

And playing 200 hours in 3 weeks is absolutely shocking mate.
70 HOURS A WEEK, 10 HOURS A DAY.
You need either a job , or a life.

This is the classic example of why games are the way they are these days, people like you that play nonstop, burn out, dictate theres nothing to do, your bored , then whinge and complain.

Im only lvl 60 atm, and having a blast, playing whenever i can ( usually 4 hours nightly ).

All i got to say to you is…Move along mate, move along, nothing to see here.
We dont need your kind…

Posted by: Drudenfusz.2971

Drudenfusz.2971

I played the original Guild Wars back in 2005, I didn’t liked it. Now with GW2 I am totally happy, it is finally a game how MMOs should be and I really hope that more companies take some ideas from ArenaNet. Sure, it has some flaws (nothing is ever perfect), but I think it has a very solid fondation on which ArenaNet can build in the future (looking forward to expansions already).

Gwenya Drudenfusz [Boon], Norn Mesmer on Desolation

Posted by: Mr Sendar.2871

Mr Sendar.2871

Why do people like Gank.4957(generic reply about how gw1 servers are still up) even reply? He hasn’t actually addressed any points in the post. He should look at it and see some of the points are actually valid, some of the points i slightly disagree with but the majority are well thought out and contructed. Can anyone tell me why i should lose 15% of the profit on the item i just sold? Think about it, in the future some items may sky-rocket( for example miniatures won in tournaments) and they may be worth 1000 gold! Now why the hell should the person lose 150g+ the listing fee? To me that is complete bollocks.

But no, lets post something that doesn’t add anything to the discussion….

(edited by Mr Sendar.2871)

Posted by: Lctl.6198

Lctl.6198

Greetings.

About your take on DEs, im sorry you like shopping lists and railroad questing, its good to have the same presented in a very different way.

You say there was no point in that charr cubs quest, i think there was.

“you” were there. “you” witnessed it. “you” helped those cubs. So gou had more friends there, its an mmo.

You say you miss missions from gw1, storyline accomplishes something very similiar, heck, even the ending with swords and crested shield is there!

You miss henchmen, i certainly dont. Trying to do those last missions with them was a bloody pain in the backside. I rather have this free roaming system instead of taking flawed AI with mento an instanced area.

Skills, you mention them as limiting, you say you havent played wow , but perhaps youve played other mmos where you have endless skill bars all over?

Cause on gw1, when you went out of town, boy, you were fakked !
At least now you can change them anywhere out of combat. No more roadblock or instant repeating cause you didny had a dispell with you.

Dual profession, i can see where youre getting at, but then again, balancing a game where you have access to almost twice the skills or morr than in gw1, would be chaotic.

And yes, you do have access to more skills that in gw1. Weapon swap alone gives you 10skills, plus utilityx3 and an elite. So in the end, they expandes the skill line up you can use.

Elite skill capping made sense in gw1, with dual class and a whole lot more of them to choose from, in gw2 would just be pointless.

The premise of the game is to give you the cool stuff asap. You still have to hunt down skill challenges. Why add more grief to the player?

As for the TP, whats your point on linking bots with the downtime on thr TP?
Makes no sense.

You still can trade with your friends, use the mail service.

I love this TP more than the traditional AH.

Prevents a whole lot more market inflation imho.

The point on XP for going into other people personal story i can concede to you. At least that.

I also like having no hard trinity imposed, makes you see the difference between a good player and a just overgeared player.

Cause thats all the trinity relies on. Gear.

Gw1 was one of the biggest grinds ive ever came accross btw.

And lastly, dont speak for me when referring to gw1 players . Thanks.

Lctl.6198

Ps: I do not understand how ppl say theyre more limited with skills.

You have more skills available to you at a given time then you ever jad in gw1.

The difference is in the dual class system. They just seemed endless to you cause you had access to two classes at the same time.

And after all that was done, remind me again, how many skills exactly did you take with you outside of a town or outpost?

Yeah.

Posted by: Zinnabun.3560

Zinnabun.3560

For the rest of us, the people who will actually spend money and tons of time in your game, well, we’re already really bored.

This… So much this.

It is not an MMO for us, that is all I am getting. That is fine. It’s just time for us to move on, it was not revolutionary to us as much as it was to them. Is this game for casuals and nothing else? Yes, it is.

Also, come on…. The whole taking it slow thing is ridiculous. Everyone is going to get to 80 and finish all the “stuff” and find themselves in the same situation that we are in, what is there to do then? Reroll?

Who knows, maybe they will see that the people who actually stick around to play the games is actually us. Casuals are casuals, they will be gone soon to another game, that is the way it works. We can only hope that they will want to cater to us eventually, but that wont happen until they start seeing the drop in numbers. The game can potentially cater to us, both hardcore and casual players can coexist in this game.

All we can do is hope that they add content for us. At least we didn’t waste money on a monthly fee, right? :P

You casual gamers have won this round! shakes fist

(edited by Zinnabun.3560)

Posted by: Galactus.2108

Galactus.2108

I’d rather find a rusty fork and plunge it into my eye

Hey, send me your address, i think i can dig up a rusty fork somewhere…..because i have a feeling, that even though you wrote this, you’re going to keep playing anyway.

So ya like i said, PM me your address.

Posted by: Khristophoros.7194

Khristophoros.7194

Only thing I agree on is the skills system. I had over 5k hours on my GW1 account. I do see myself getting bored of GW2 a lot sooner because of this whole issue. You’re right about skill capping and the skills system and whatnot.

I think the mistake with GW2 is they are afraid of a complicated interesting system because it is impossible to balance. Well personally I would prefer an imbalanced system with tons of interesting choices to one with almost no choices. The skill system in GW2 is not cutting it right now.

Posted by: Korrigan.4837

Korrigan.4837

It’s the opposite for me – I was in GW1 beta and played it a bit, but the heavily instanced design of the game just didn’t do it for me. To the opposite, I absolutely love GW2 and I am having a blast.
GW2 = the best MMORPG I’ve played since years and years. A refreshing change from all the WoW clone crap released since 2004.

The Farstar Alliance [TFA] – Gandara Server.
A PvX guild for mature players with a life.

Posted by: gurugeorge.9857

gurugeorge.9857

Couldn’t disagree with the OP more, on just about every count. (And I say this as someone who was suspicious of the GW2 hype, and didn’t even like the screenies and beta vids – IOW I’ve been won over to GW2’s absolute brilliance as an evolution of the genre.)

OP is basically a stick in the mud who refuses to see the game for what it is because their expectations about what an MMORPG should be are clouding their experience of the game as it is.

Lctl.6198

Couldn’t disagree with the OP more, on just about every count. (And I say this as someone who was suspicious of the GW2 hype, and didn’t even like the screenies and beta vids – IOW I’ve been won over to GW2’s absolute brilliance as an evolution of the genre.)

OP is basically a stick in the mud who refuses to see the game for what it is because their expectations about what an MMORPG should be are clouding their experience of the game as it is.

What ticks me off, is this skill stuff. I still dont think people realize the absurdity of freedom they have with their skills and skillsets.

Posted by: Khristophoros.7194

Khristophoros.7194

@Lctl it’s nothing compared to the freedom and depth of GW1. I’ve had discussions for hours on end about GW1 builds. I mean we basically had to go like “Wow we’ve been talking about this for 3 hours, let’s stop.”

The problem is that there are very few slot skills in GW2. Traits don’t make up for that because there aren’t a huge amount of them either.

I’m sorry but I don’t see myself putting 5k+ hours into GW2 or having long conversations about builds.

(edited by Khristophoros.7194)

Posted by: Gomly.6128

Gomly.6128

I really do love reading posts like this.

“I played this older game and then came to this game. This game isn’t like the older game … why?”

Posted by: balmung.6217

balmung.6217

Did you guys even read it?he actually gave some good advice.I wish the devs made the bosses a bit more interesting such as it starts out where only melee can hurt it then it enters a phase where they cant be hit anymore you gotta use cannons or something to knock off shields, after a bit the other players way across the map had to hit some sort of switch or something to make sure it stays off then even when its off then you can resume hitting for a bit untill they come back up then he switches to range damage can only affect him so everyone whos melee could switch to buffing or something making melee ranged and buffing all in one usefull.Lets go even further and add a timer so teamwork would have to be tight between the zerg.Now thats a boss fight as of right now i sit here click my auto attack button and sometimes dodge.Not a bad fight but boring yes.

Lctl.6198

@Lctl it’s nothing compared to the freedom and depth of GW1. I’ve had discussions for hours on end about GW1 builds. I mean we basically had to go like “Wow we’ve been talking about this for 3 hours, let’s stop.”

The problem is that there are very few slot skills in GW2.

I’m sorry but I don’t see myself putting 5k+ hours into GW2 or having long conversations about builds.

And those discussions almost came around the samekittenskills.

Face it, most of them ( not counting post prophecies, since they were mostly redundant apart from elites), were in fact useless , apart from a -very specific- situation.

And you still have all of that, plus a lot more. You can fiddle with traits/stats/skills/weapons/elites.

Thats a whole lot more than what you ever had in gw1.
More to the matter, your not locked out from equipping other weapons and skills when out in the world or dungeon.

You have access to all the skills, anywhere.( given, as long as you unlocked them.).

You can still complete the majority if not all of the content using any combination you wish( read : weapon type/ utility). And just like in gw1, some will fare better than others, while a few will crash and burn only to thrive on the next zone.

Dont stick your head onto a single mindset and cry foul for lack of choices. Theyre still very much there, if not doubled.

Posted by: Synn Dinalt.7251

Synn Dinalt.7251

I’ll add my reply, though to be honest I think GW2 falls into one of two camps – you either love it or don’t love it.

Anet are to be commended for trying something different and new – they’ve created a beautiful world (if you’ve got the setup to truly show it), and a world that’s rich in graphical niceties.

But for me – and this is only my view btw (so don’t get upset), the PvE side of GW2 is a massive disappointment.

Probably part of the fault is mine – GW2 is probably aimed more at a new generation of players, or those who’ve never really been into MMORPG’s or RPG’s in general.
It’s definitely aimed more at PvP or WvW – which again is fine.

I’ve played RPG’s through Baldur’s Gate to Diablo, through Icewind Dale, through Neverwinter, through Guild Wars 1 etc. (And many others besides).

And all those games provided a real sense of accomplishment when you’d completed a task – and a massive sense of accomplishment when you finally completed the game.
If you were playing PvE you had recurring characters, or heroes/henchmen you took with you – and it was a pleasure seeing their stories unfold, or customising their weapon sets for specific levels.

Now queue the groans as I say that GW1 was (and is) superior to GW2 in terms of PvE. (In terms of PvP GW2 is doubtless better than GW1 – no question about that, but PvE is definitely inferior).

Why do I say that ?

Well, firstly I’m already finding the PvE aspect of GW2 dull. Before a million and one replies descend to rip that apart, that’s only my personal take on the game – and as I said earlier, probably my fault coming from ‘classic’ type PvE experiences.

It seems like a never ending grind with no real ‘payoff’ – again only my view – you’ll either love just exploring and doing the heart events, or you’ll find them tedious.

Personally, the structured grind has been replaced with a more free roaming grind – but to the detriment of the storyline and character development. (Again only my view).

There’s no real sense of accomplishment in PvE – for me. Again only my view, others may love the PvE environment in GW2, but for me there’s no sense of satisfaction or accomplishment at all.
Just run around with a lot of other players, killing things/picking up eggs or whatever the event is – and in combat gain experience all too quickly just because you’re participating.
And because the skills automatically appear, there’s no sense of really having earned anything.

Only my view (again), but the PvE side of GW2 just comes across as an extended training mission for the PvP aspects of the game. A chance to build your skills up before entering PvP or WvW.

It’s a shame, as in GW1 the PvE/PvP enjoyment was well balanced………………..you could enjoy the game equally, whichever your preference was.

For me there’s something seriously lacking in the PvE enjoyment in GW2. Maybe it’s the lack of heroes or henchmen, maybe it’s the lack of a cohesive storyline – maybe it’s the fact you can get to level 80 relatively easily……………and then find yourself wondering what to do next.

In GW1 it could be argued that the PvE game actually started when you hit lvl20 (the max for that game) – whereas in GW2 it seems to be entirely endgame. Yes you can craft or go for legendaries, but again it seems to be content entirely to benefit the PvP side of things.

I’m sure GW2 will have a great future for PvP/WvW play.

For myself though (and again only my view), it’s been a real disappointment on the PvE side.

GW1 is a game I’ll still play even after 7 years or so. GW2 just hasn’t hooked me like other games – personal opinion only.

I hope that’s solved in future content releases – I’d gladly pay for an expansion that really enhanced the PvE experience (for players like me and others).

Because in my family alone, I’m not unique in finding PvE a letdown. Two others who are a lot younger than me have given up on it altogether.

The cutscenes in GW1 were superior, building the story – whereas in GW2 it seems to be just your player talking to a game character against a backdrop.

As I say – only my view. Others are free to disagree as they see fit.

Battle Rifles.2965

I’ll add my reply, though to be honest I think GW2 falls into one of two camps – you either love it or don’t love it.

Anet are to be commended for trying something different and new – they’ve created a beautiful world (if you’ve got the setup to truly show it), and a world that’s rich in graphical niceties.

But for me – and this is only my view btw (so don’t get upset), the PvE side of GW2 is a massive disappointment.

Probably part of the fault is mine – GW2 is probably aimed more at a new generation of players, or those who’ve never really been into MMORPG’s or RPG’s in general.
It’s definitely aimed more at PvP or WvW – which again is fine.

I’ve played RPG’s through Baldur’s Gate to Diablo, through Icewind Dale, through Neverwinter, through Guild Wars 1 etc. (And many others besides).

And all those games provided a real sense of accomplishment when you’d completed a task – and a massive sense of accomplishment when you finally completed the game.
If you were playing PvE you had recurring characters, or heroes/henchmen you took with you – and it was a pleasure seeing their stories unfold, or customising their weapon sets for specific levels.

Now queue the groans as I say that GW1 was (and is) superior to GW2 in terms of PvE. (In terms of PvP GW2 is doubtless better than GW1 – no question about that, but PvE is definitely inferior).

Why do I say that ?

Well, firstly I’m already finding the PvE aspect of GW2 dull. Before a million and one replies descend to rip that apart, that’s only my personal take on the game – and as I said earlier, probably my fault coming from ‘classic’ type PvE experiences.

It seems like a never ending grind with no real ‘payoff’ – again only my view – you’ll either love just exploring and doing the heart events, or you’ll find them tedious.

Personally, the structured grind has been replaced with a more free roaming grind – but to the detriment of the storyline and character development. (Again only my view).

There’s no real sense of accomplishment in PvE – for me. Again only my view, others may love the PvE environment in GW2, but for me there’s no sense of satisfaction or accomplishment at all.
Just run around with a lot of other players, killing things/picking up eggs or whatever the event is – and in combat gain experience all too quickly just because you’re participating.
And because the skills automatically appear, there’s no sense of really having earned anything.

Only my view (again), but the PvE side of GW2 just comes across as an extended training mission for the PvP aspects of the game. A chance to build your skills up before entering PvP or WvW.

It’s a shame, as in GW1 the PvE/PvP enjoyment was well balanced………………..you could enjoy the game equally, whichever your preference was.

For me there’s something seriously lacking in the PvE enjoyment in GW2. Maybe it’s the lack of heroes or henchmen, maybe it’s the lack of a cohesive storyline – maybe it’s the fact you can get to level 80 relatively easily……………and then find yourself wondering what to do next.

In GW1 it could be argued that the PvE game actually started when you hit lvl20 (the max for that game) – whereas in GW2 it seems to be entirely endgame. Yes you can craft or go for legendaries, but again it seems to be content entirely to benefit the PvP side of things.

As I say – only my view. Others are free to disagree as they see fit.

This. You’ve said exactly what I was trying to say, and you’ve done it in a way that isn’t inflammatory at all.

I second what you said about expansions (hopefully) adding greatly to the PvE element. I’d gladly pay for them, and I hope they come to pass.

It’s difficult to pinpoint exactly what the problems are with PvE (they’re so diffuse, after all), but you’ve nailed it in that it’s just a general feeling you have playing through it, getting to 80, and having nowhere to go. I certainly think ANet have gone the way of wanting to get the game more involved in competitive play like LoL or SC2, but I think that’s really detracted from the PvE side of things.

Posted by: shedim.8504

shedim.8504

I didn’t play GW 1 but this game is the most fun mmorg experience I had since WoW classic. IMHO they did everything right that so many other mmorgs have failed and if they keep up the great work GW2 will be the best mmo out there for years!

Sorry you don’t enjoy the game as much as I do. I’m having a blast here.

Posted by: Elysian Rose.5283

Elysian Rose.5283

Hey anet, where’s my energy bar?

You took it away so you could call the game revolutionary?

Just like the trinity, huh?

Addition by subtraction doesn’t always work. Too bad your QA team didn’t let you know.

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

You make a very long post based round 3 points:
Lets start with your tradepost and making goldsellers a justification for a trade channel. Goldsellers in GW1 existed and where never kind enough to advertise in trade channel. The fact that they exist doesn’t justify a trade channel nor makes it a bad game. Anet isn’t to blame, but the people stupid enough make goldsellers profitable. I do hope they find a way to eliminate them but pls don’t judge Anet for this.

Then there is DE’s. I just love them. If you don’t who cares, they are completely optional and you can ignore them.

Skillbar: There are several reasons why the free skillbar was a very very verybad idea in GW1 and I’, happy they got rid of it.
a: any combo with the skill Shadowform. It ruined GW1 and the GW1 economy.
b: Elitism ’ I demand you to bring these skills or I won’t play with you’.
c: balancing. Due to the vast amound of skills and possible combinations balancing was a nightmare.
(btw, I’m playing ele, and I got access to 80 weaponskills. So I wouldn’t call that a lack of options).

Last off all. Anet didn’t design this game to be GW1 with a graphical skin. In every discussion in GW1 bout number 2 I warned people to not expect that. I didn’t buy the prerelease of GW2 and used a beta key give away before buying the game. They did a very good job in making it and I’m proud to call myself a customer of Arenanet. For you, well if you liked GW1 so much, the servers are still there.

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

Posted by: Korrigan.4837

Korrigan.4837

Anet isn’t to blame, but the people stupid enough make goldsellers profitable.

This is a VERY important point, true for all MMOs and not only for GW2.
Gold sellers, their spam, and their account hacking, only exist because you have losers who buy their gold. If nobody would buy their gold, they would not exist, since no buyer = no market = no seller.
So to the people who search for a culprit after having their account hacked by gold farmers or who are simply annoyed by the constant spam in game chat… don’t blame ArenaNET or NCSoft… blame the persons who buy gold from unauthorized source. It’s because of those people that your account got hacked and used for gold farming/selling.

Edited by moderator: Edited to leave the disrespectful comment out

The Farstar Alliance [TFA] – Gandara Server.
A PvX guild for mature players with a life.

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Mighty Turtle.6520

Mighty Turtle.6520

Was the OP expecting GW1 with better graphics ? Did he not read anything about the game before playing it ?
With this new era of entitlement, when people dislike games, they go on and blame “design flaws”, “gameplay planning failures” and so on.
But I’m sorry : you do not enjoy the game, whereas a lot of people do, and it’s getting considered as one of the best games of the year.
So instead of writing things like : “the worst implementation of a pitifully bad idea I can possibly imagine for a video game”. Write : “I personally do not like the concept”. It’s closer to the truth.

Battle Rifles.2965

Anet isn’t to blame, but the people stupid enough make goldsellers profitable.

This is a VERY important point, true for all MMOs and not only for GW2.
Gold sellers, their spam, and their account hacking, only exist because you have losers who buy their gold. If nobody would buy their gold, they would not exist, since no buyer = no market = no seller.
So to the people who search for a culprit after having their account hacked by gold farmers or who are simply annoyed by the constant spam in game chat… don’t blame ArenaNET or NCSoft… blame the persons who buy gold from unauthorized source. It’s because of those people that your account got hacked and used for gold farming/selling.

Edited by moderator: Edited to leave the disrespectful comment out

ANet has done an admirable job combating account compromises (which, since there haven’t been any server side breaches, can only be blamed on the user), but implementing the TP doesn’t do anything to put an end to gold sellers, not even in theory.

Let’s say your argument is that now I can buy gems and then buy gold. Really? At the moment, the exchange rate for $ = Gems = Gold isn’t just bad, it’s laughable! (It’s about $10 for 2 Gold, last time I checked). Now, I’m not here to argue in game economics, but gold sellers always advertise ridiculously cheap prices (for example, in GW1, I know you could get 200k for $5, at least at one point).

It’s done nothing to prevent gold sellers. They’re still here spamming away and sending mail. I’m not sure how you eradicate them, but the trading post isn’t the way.

Another kneejerk reaction by ANet is the diminishing returns system, and this has been widely discussed and —- from what I’ve seen —- is universally despised and, again, seen as draconian.

You get to 80 after 65+ hours of grinding through hearts and DEs, and now you want to farm (see: grind) so you can afford to buy Exotics? Great. Go kill some Risen for 20 minutes, but after that you’ll need to find something else to do because the rewards scale in proportion to how long you’ve been doing any one thing. Everybody is ultimately presumed to be a botter.

So where do we go? Frostgorge sound? Great, I love being level 80 and killing groups of level 70s.

I mean, my post touched on a few problems with levelling, but it doesn’t even address the utter lack of endgame, which has been and will continue to be rehashed elsewhere.

My TP points ultimately related to the fact that they’ve removed a feature (direct trading) and added nothing that equals it. Mailing items to someone does not enable me to trade with them. Don’t believe me? Okay, I’ll pay you 60 gold for your Sword of Rage. You send first, and I’ll send you the gold. We’ll see how that works. It does not allow me (or you) to haggle for price. And there was no obvious reason to take it out.

Again, another post, but a familiar refrain.

(edited by Battle Rifles.2965)

Posted by: gurugeorge.9857

gurugeorge.9857

Was the OP expecting GW1 with better graphics ? Did he not read anything about the game before playing it ?
With this new era of entitlement, when people dislike games, they go on and blame “design flaws”, “gameplay planning failures” and so on.
But I’m sorry : you do not enjoy the game, whereas a lot of people do, and it’s getting considered as one of the best games of the year.
So instead of writing things like : “the worst implementation of a pitifully bad idea I can possibly imagine for a video game”. Write : “I personally do not like the concept”. It’s closer to the truth.

So true. The typical MMO poster these days is all hyperbole and self-assumed game design expertise. It’s nauseating.

Just say “It’s not for me” and leave it at that. The game has no subscription so:-

1) Nobody cares what you think, since there’s no potential sub loss riding on your preferences; and

2) You can pick it up and drop it whenever you like. Maybe it will change to the way you like later, maybe not.

These two factors combined make it so that the game will find its audience over time (although tbqh it looks like it’s already found its audience pretty quickly). Anet can build what they like, and the people who like what they build will come.

The old game of wheedling and whining on the forums to try and change developers’ minds is completely pointless here.

Posted by: Archer.6485

Archer.6485

Endgame is what you make of it. How is it that no one knows what to do at 80 and I’m standing in full exotics with 100% world completion and feel like I barely scratched the surface? It’s because some people simply don’t want to do even half of what the game has to offer. I feel really sorry for those people but this game didn’t misrepresent itself. It has plenty of content if you’re just willing to go through it.

I understand the TP didn’t get rid of the gold sellers but at least it’s good for other things, like I don’t know… Trading? You want to haggle? Put up a buy order and you’ll see if someone is willing to sell an item for that price.

I don’t know about you but I preffer farming by running around and doing different things rather than just kill the same 5 mobs overr and over.

Oh, and to answer your previous question: Yes it would in fact be hard to implement a completely separate open world pve system (questing) when there’salready a prefectly good one in place. You claim that everyone you know wants quest hubs back but the worst complaint I heard about dynamic events was that they’re not all that different from traditional questing. Dynamic events may not be the hardest content in the game but can you honestly tell me you feel a greater sense of accomplishment by killing exactly ten rats?

Battle Rifles.2965

I understand the TP didn’t get rid of the gold sellers but at least it’s good for other things, like I don’t know… Trading? You want to haggle? Put up a buy order and you’ll see if someone is willing to sell an item for that price.

Do you know what haggling is? Is this a troll?

" Put up a buy order and you’ll see if someone is willing to sell an item for that price."

Either you’re trolling or we need to get you a dictionary.

Haggling is the ability to message another player, talk to them, and charm or otherwise connive your way into getting them to lower their price. It isn’t setting a price in an auto-market and hoping some desperate soul capitulates and sells something.

As for the rest of your post, I’ve already said multiple times that I don’t see why they couldn’t add in quests for people who like them, and keep DEs in for people who like those. Saying DEs are a system that ‘works perfectly well’ is intellectually dishonest, and you’ve got a plethora of comments in just this thread that prove that.

Archer.6485

Are you trolling me now? This is a massive world. They would need to spend so much time and resources to implement literally thousand of quests, just so you could have an alternative way of playing open world pve? That’s not the game they wanted to make. Quests aren’t there for a reason. This isn’t some “oopsie we forgot about quests” oversight. It was a thought out decision. DE’s are there instead. That’s what this game is.

If they wanted to change such a core mechanic, they may as well make a new game. Do you understand now why they can’t implement it? Do I need to walk you through it step by step?

I’m sorry you can’t have haggling. But I think the TP is excellent. Personally I preffer something that feels like a real economy rather than a garage sale.

Archer.6485

Oh I forgot. The dynamics events work GREAT and maybe they don’t work perfectly, but they certainly work better than any other questing system I played before. And no this is not intellectually dishonest, it’s my thought out opinion which many others share. You don’t get to set the standard of what is intellectually honest or not just because it doesn’t coincide with your opinion so I’d avoid such comments if I were you.

Posted by: stormstrike.9147

stormstrike.9147

While I can see the OP’s points, I am glad GW2 is not 100% the same as GW1. And that GW1 servers are still up. Because it gives me a choice which to play when the mood hits me.

There are aspects of the first game I liked more and aspects of the second I like more.

Posted by: Stalvos.1495

Stalvos.1495

If I had to play guild wars 2 for 2000 hours, I would be pulling all my hair out.

Your hours played vs. the time the game has been out (including head start) means you average 9 hours a day?

You actually WANT to grind? Go play the korean MMOs. You’ll be very happy. You can spend months grinding and never get anywhere…

Posted by: DusK.3849

DusK.3849

So true. The typical MMO poster these days is all hyperbole and self-assumed game design expertise. It’s nauseating.

Get your game design degree online today! All You have to do it come on the forums complaining about a game you knew nothing about before you bought it, and insist you know how to make a better game than a team whose game is rocking a 93 on Metacritic.

Seriously, if the people complaining had read about this game beforehand, they’d know about:

The level scaling.
The opposition to gear treadmills.
The game being the “endgame”.
Non-trinity combat.
No mana/resource system for skills.
The extreme difficulty of dungeons.
The trading post.
The gem store.
And, well, pretty much everything about this game.

Literally everyone going “OMG dis gaem is so baaaad” is complaining about stuff we’ve known about well before release, stuff that they would have known about if they had done a little reading, stuff that we believe (and that belief has been put into practice) makes the game better, and stuff omitted that makes other MMO’s utter crap. They’re complaining because ArenaNet gave us the game they said they were going to give us for the past three years, but since nearly every MMO released since WoW has been a knockoff of WoW, they were hoping for another knockoff of WoW so they could bolt to 80 and endlessly gear-grind, then they get allkitten when they find out that crap doesn’t exist in this game. Or, in the case of some like Battle Rifle, they thought it was going to be Guild Wars 1.5.

I’ll say it. It’s going to hurt, but I’ll say it. To every complainer: Your complaints are unfounded, worthless, and they only prove your refusal to learn about a product before you buy it. The rest of us, who knew what we’re buying and then proceeded to buy it, got what we were looking for.

Like rock and metal remixes of video game music? Check out my site and get your headbang on!
Also, check out Hardcore Adventure Box: World 1, World 2, Lost Sessions
Main Character: Dathius Eventide | Say “hi” to the Tribulation Clouds for me. :)

Posted by: omnicient.7345

omnicient.7345

Unfortunately, although I am not bored by this game, I have to agree with every single thing you said. I really do miss the thousands of skills and elite capping.

Battle Rifles.2965

Oh I forgot. The dynamics events work GREAT and maybe they don’t work perfectly, but they certainly work better than any other questing system I played before. And no this is not intellectually dishonest, it’s my thought out opinion which many others share. You don’t get to set the standard of what is intellectually honest or not just because it doesn’t coincide with your opinion so I’d avoid such comments if I were you.

It’s intellectually dishonest to call something perfect when there’s a sizable portion of relevant users who think it’s severely flawed. Perhaps you can research the meaning behind it while you’re looking up ‘haggle’ as well.

Also, you like the realistic economy? Seriously?

Again, you’re trolling. In the ‘real’ economy, people sell things cash in hand all the time. They don’t pay taxes. This counts for sales as well as wages.

Again, why not implement both? This question hasn’t been answered.

An automated economy is great for certain things. Peer to peer (ie., direct trading) is great for others. There’s no reason to create a false dichotomy between the two, but that’s exactly what’s been done.

Archer.6485

No one was calling the DE system perfect. We’re calling it great and a step forward from traditional quests. Nothing is perfect as you know but you can’t have everything either. Anet made a choice to use a different system.

There’s lots of people complaining about different features but I’im pretty sure thar yours is the only topic that’s asking for a return to the original questing system.

That said, I really think you should go play another game. I don’t mean that as an insult, I just believe that from all your complaining about the core features of the game that there this game will ever really become what you want it to. I recommend Tera. It has a good combat system, plenty of grinding and farming options. And so many quests you won’t be finished anytime soon.

Posted by: Naminator.9316

Naminator.9316

It’s intellectually dishonest to call something perfect when there’s a sizable portion of relevant users who think it’s severely flawed

You call someone “Intellectually dishonest” while at the same time strawmaning their argument and trying to it look like he said something he didn’t.

Maybe YOU should go and look up what it is to be “Intellectually dishonest”?

At the same time could you please give us some insight as to what is a “sizable portion” that you are talking about?

Just about every reviewer out there, including user reviews praise ArenaNET for taking a new direction with the quest system!

So where is this sizable portion you are talking about? I don’t even see any forum posts besides your that complain about the quest system!

And from my very long experience on official forums for many many MMOs, I can tell you that you people will kitten and moan about ANYTHING, and your thread is most likely one of the biggest examples of that yet!

Ohhh and while your at it, could you describe to us whats a “Relevant user” is?

Because I really like when some pretentious a-hole comes around and thinks he gets to decide who’s opinion is relevant and who’s isn’t.

(edited by Naminator.9316)

Posted by: Matze.6014

Matze.6014

Seriously someone complaining about having to pay taxes on a sale? Sure it does happen in real economy that people get paid wages tax free….but for the most part that is illegal. Taxes are used in most MMO’s. They aid in keeping the economy in check, who wants to try to bump the price on something to 1000g when they going to have to pay massive taxes? Very few, because most people dont want to have to buy something for 1000g.

I feel Anet is doing a very good thing with this game, I have many years playing many different MMO’s, which has made me fairly tired of the same cookie cutter mmo experience. GW2 has freed us from that, I did enjoy GW1 it was not a mmo, reminded me alot of the old dark allaince type games. I think you might want to recount what this “relevant user” base is, and stop speaking for others when you have no basis to.

Battle Rifles.2965

It’s intellectually dishonest to call something perfect when there’s a sizable portion of relevant users who think it’s severely flawed

You call someone “Intellectually dishonest” while at the same time strawmaning their argument and trying to it look like he said something he didn’t.

Maybe YOU should go and look up what it is to be “Intellectually dishonest”?

At the same time could you please give us some insight as to what is a “sizable portion” that you are talking about?

Just about every reviewer out there, including user reviews praise ArenaNET for taking a new direction with the quest system!

So where is this sizable portion you are talking about? I don’t even see any forum posts besides your that complain about the quest system!

And from my very long experience on official forums for many many MMOs, I can tell you that you people will kitten and moan about ANYTHING, and your thread is most likely one of the biggest examples of that yet!

Ohhh and while your at it, could you describe to us whats a “Relevant user” is?

Because I really like when some pretentious a-hole comes around and thinks he gets to decide who’s opinion is relevant and who’s isn’t.

“Yes it would in fact be hard to implement a completely separate open world pve system (questing) when there’salready a prefectly good one in place.”

That is being intellectually dishonest. There’s not already a ‘perfectly good [system] in place’, because many users loathe it. A perfect system would satiate all users; now, I don’t think that’s possible, but if you want to play semantics, I’ll kick you up and down the block.

Now, who are the many users I mentioned? Of the 8 people I know personally who play (or have played) GW2, not one of them likes the Hearts + Dynamic Events way of leveling up.

Not one.

Now, you could accuse me of simply associating with people similar to me, but when those eight people span the spectrum of good friends to people at work to friends of friends, then I think you’ve got a sample size that outruns that accusation.

I certainly don’t think everyone hates the system, but heck, have you been reading for the past two pages? A good 30% of the posters here agree with me, at least to some extent. That’s a sizable portion, in case you’re too dull to figure it out.

A ‘relevant user’ means someone (and this sort of kicks your ‘reviewer point’, if I’m charitable enough to call it that) who will actually play the game. Not some casual who has 3-5 hours a week to screw around and gaze at his cute Asura, and not some reviewer who plays for two hours, likes the graphics, and then writes an App review.

I’m talking about the people who spend (here we go again) a sizable chunk of their time playing the game (or at least wish they enjoyed the game enough to play it). These are the people who would still be here in 5 years.

Now, I realise there’s a disconnect between hardcore players (hardcore in terms of time spent in-game) and casual players, and the monetary lines both demographics cross is pretty blurry. Casual, bad players will spend money on cosmetic items (anybody who has played League of Legends will understand this: if they’re skinned, there’s a good chance they’re bad; good players spend too much time switching between various champs to care what any one champ looks like). Whatever ANet’s revenue goals and planning going forward, I think players who spent so much time (and money) enjoying their first game have some legitimate gripes with this one.

And that’s all this is, sure, me griping, whining, whatever. I think what they’ve done is pretty stupid. I think it will fail in the long run. And I think certain aspects are fixable.

Ultimately, pretension comes with showing up late to a party, running your mouth without having even read anything that came before (and you clearly didn’t, or else we need a dictionary for Archer and several trillion brain cells for you), and expecting to be taken seriously.

From your ‘very long experience on official forums’, you think you’d know how pointless it is to blow hot air, huh?

Do I think they’ll change their game? Not really. But I’ll give them my opinion, and my advice, and if nothing changes, I’ll move on.

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: DusK.3849

DusK.3849

Of the 8 people I know personally who play (or have played) GW2, not one of them likes the Hearts + Dynamic Events way of leveling up.

Not one.

That’s nice for them. The majority of players enjoy it. Stop trying to change the game to appease a cookie-cutter MMO grind minority.

Also, you’re in no position to call anyone a “bad player” if you’re complaining about the dungeon difficulty.

Like rock and metal remixes of video game music? Check out my site and get your headbang on!
Also, check out Hardcore Adventure Box: World 1, World 2, Lost Sessions
Main Character: Dathius Eventide | Say “hi” to the Tribulation Clouds for me. :)