GW1 Trilogy+EOTN - 50% Off Sale on Steam

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Shalloe.4867

Shalloe.4867

Click on the boat on the map and the go to great temple of Balthazar. they move all pvp arenas and such here to a central hub that can be access from any campaign

Posted by: Snowmoon.1758

Snowmoon.1758

Wow..i’m now still in pre-searing Ascalon and trying to do all the quests there.

Is there a faster way to move around? Running feels so slow and theres no mounts, no waypoints. Yes yes, i know we can fast travel to selected cities if unlocked, but does it get faster in later game? Or are we supposed to just jog all over the place?

Good Points so Far:
1) Its interesting to encounter the characters that we eventually fight in AC.
Ralena, Vassar, Adelbern.
2) Its interesting how a small item “Small Girl’s Cloak” together with a bunch of other items can open up a later quest, and this is never even mentioned in the game.

Bad Points so Far:
1) Definitely a very old-school MMO hotbar spamming style, i miss active combat.
2) Getting quests from NPCs from one end of the world to another end isn’t fun.

Staunch Supporter of Mounts in Guild Wars 2. Gimme mah Fluffeh White Bunneh!!!
Give us Mounts, Anet! Pretty Please with Chocolate, Whipped Cream, Cherry and Mayonnaise? d^_^b

(edited by Snowmoon.1758)

Posted by: narwhalsbend.7059

narwhalsbend.7059

Wow..i’m now still in pre-searing Ascalon and trying to do all the quests there.

Is there a faster way to move around? Running feels so slow and theres no mounts, no waypoints. Yes yes, i know we can fast travel to selected cities if unlocked, but does it get faster in later game? Or are we supposed to just jog all over the place?

Some professions have speed boost skills. http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Speed_boost

In short, yes you are supposed to run around. Most zones are smaller than GW2 so you won’t be running too much until you reach another zone and there are outposts all over the place – five in pre-searing Ascalon alone.

Do try to take your time in pre-searing. It’s a lovely place.

(edited by narwhalsbend.7059)

Posted by: Clerigo.9475

Clerigo.9475

Im also playing GW1 atm, trying to get HoM filled while i w8 for anet dev team to sort stuff in gw2.

Give me a beep if you need help. Last Heart is my ingame nick.

“When in doubt, choose change.” Leung
“All great changes are preceded by chaos.” Chopra
‘No matter what people tell you, words and ideas can change the world’ Robin Williams

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

I have not commented on my definition of fun.

That was the implication though, was it not? Or do you play GW2 for the same reason you do your taxes?

Your example is far weaker than my own analogy regarding elite hunting in GW2 and the trait hunting system in GW2.

The irony of that is not lost on me, considering that’s what you intended to prove with that nonsense.

That is unless you find taxes fun in the same way you see GW2 fun… in which case, well, yes. Your definition of fun and my own are vastly different from one and other.

Maybe that’s the crux of the issue, hm? Opinions and all that.

I, for example, do not have a problem with the trait unlock system. Well, perhaps it could use some tweaking but no system is perfect.

Here we agree. I liked elite and skill hunting in GW1. I like earning my traits in GW2 as opposed to buying everything. I’m an explorer.

As a result I have earned the majority, though I haven’t earned every single trait I have. I bought a few/learned them from the wise skill trainers for a nominal fee.

Not everyone is like me, and I can respect that. Some traits can be tedious to earn or else I’m not on at the right time to meet the circumstances of some of them.

I have the option to wait it out or to buy it. I appreciate that option. Players who aren’t like me probably appreciate that option even more than I do.

What I am saying is that achieving 100% completion in a zone is not the same as killing a single boss. There is no hypocrisy in saying that one enjoys killing a boss for a skill but not having to complete an entire zone, participate in PvP, etc to do so.

Both are PvE-centric activities in this example, so yes. Slightly hypocritical. Unless PvE’rs don’t explore areas. Which I find hard to believe as true for a majority of PvE’rs.

A stronger example would be having to go into PvP if you’re deadset against segregating yourself along PvE VS PvP lines.

I’d think in Guild Wars both types mingle more so than in other games. I like both, I know a lot of people who like both, many in my guild.

But maybe the playerbase is divided like that. I don’t have the data.

If that’s the case, that’s more a community driven thing than a mechanic thing. The game is pretty overt in the idea that it wants you to give both a shake.

There is a lot of interconnection between the two.

These thoughts tempered by the fact that the forums are a microcosm and this thought comes from a discussion between two people.

Is it hypocrisy for me to say, for example, that I enjoy killing mobs for rewards but not doing jumping puzzles?

No. Not in of itself.

Now if you’re going to say jumping puzzles suck but killing mobs is the best thing ever, that’s very much getting pedantic in one respect and hypocritical in regards to things since both are PvE-centric activities.

This is made even more hypocritical if you subscribe to the thought that there is a PvE/PvP divide.

You’re further fracturing this thought on what is good PvE and fun (according to you) VS opinions (according to people).

It’s not always what you or I think, and “the horde” don’t always get it right either.

If you don’t like the basic framework, it’s the height of folly (not to mention a colossal waste of time) to think you can make a new foundation on top of the one that is already laid.

If however that’s simply your opinion VS trying to impose that on everyone else, by all means, you can think killing mobs is best and JP’s are made of Satan.

Elite skills are just that, Elite. Advanced. They are not the same as a basic Trait in GW2.

This wasn’t my argument nor the comparison I drew.

Acquiring an elite (or a non-elite for that matter) in GW1 and acquiring a trait in GW2 are largely the same PvE endeavor.

If you want to get strictly pedantic on certain traits requiring PvP, that’s a fair caveat.

It changes nothing for the purpose of my general comparison between the two games VS your own and doing taxes.

As much as I do not have the antipathy for the trait unlock system that some do I do think that if Anet wanted to capture the essence of Elite hunting in GW1 they might have been better off restricting the trait unlock system to master/grandmaster traits.

There is a sense of progression in the fact that earlier non-master/grandmaster traits cost less and tend to be overall easier to acquire.

We can agree that the system can stand to be improved. Some things changed around. Make it a little easier for new players to acquire early traits.

We see some of that in the feature pack update.

Posted by: KarlaGrey.5903

KarlaGrey.5903

@ Karla Grey: could you help me playing team arenas/explain me how to go there?
I found an old box of the game back and I cant find the team arena map that should be there according to the box. Did they move it to another place or so?

Thanks in advance

regards Coast

Unfortunately I can’t get you to TA anymore, however, what I can do is explain how to get back to your kennel at trollville.com

RIP ‘gf left me coz of ladderboard’ Total views: 71,688 Total posts: 363

Posted by: Lisa.6102

Lisa.6102

Dont forget though If starting with prophecies , Try to get to level 20 BEFORE pre searing , you can then get the Defender of Ascalon Title for the HoM

Posted by: medohgeuh.4650

medohgeuh.4650

I’d rather Anet just sell a skin unlock for the Hall of Monuments stuff. There’s no way I want to suffer through the tedium of GW1 again.

Posted by: Lisa.6102

Lisa.6102

I love my heritage armor , Sorry I hope they don’t ever sell it

Snowmoon.1758

Ok i’m probably gonna get flamed like mad here, but man GW1 really really…sucks
There are so many mini quests all over the kitten place, you can’t waypoint, there’s no mount, and you gotta run over the stupid map just to do them, otherwise you can’t unlock skills and stuff. And when you die, you get spawned back far away and u gotta run back.

And don’t even start about the henchmen, who die so fast, its not even funny.
Admittedly im still lvl 7, and just starting out after pre-searing Ascalon, but my patience is wearing thin. Does the game’s story get any better? Or is this whole game just a bunch of doing stupid misc quests? Can i just skip all the mini quests and do the story quests? They are really boring my skull off.

I actually find this game good to play for insomniacs.
It’ll make you so kitten sleepy having to run all over the place.
Man…i’m no stranger to old mmorpgs and old games, but kitten ! GW1 is argggh~

I felt like i wasted my money buying Trilogy+Eotn when i could’ve gotten divinity sin instead

Give us Mounts, Anet! Pretty Please with Chocolate, Whipped Cream, Cherry and Mayonnaise? d^_^b

(edited by Snowmoon.1758)

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

You CAN waypoint to all the towns and small outposts provided you visited them once already.

As for the miniquests, you can skip them to your heart content, unless you really want the skill one of those provides since it’s cheaper to do the quest than to buy it from vendors.

Snowmoon.1758

You CAN waypoint to all the towns and small outposts provided you visited them once already.

As for the miniquests, you can skip them to your heart content, unless you really want the skill one of those provides since it’s cheaper to do the quest than to buy it from vendors.

Yea i know u can waypoint, but kitten !! are they stingy about it.
Eg: Ascalon City all the way to the The Breach…and….no WP there.
Heck there isn’t even any WP to Old Ascalon!

I really don’t see why pple like this game so much.
To me, this is just another artificial way to add extra padding to lengthen the game.
For those people who played hundreds of hours of GW1, i bet at least 80% of those time was spent jogging all over the place.

Can someone please list out again what is it that makes GW1 good?

Posted by: VergilDeZaniah.3295

VergilDeZaniah.3295

Does the game’s story get any better?

If you managed to play every single mission in GW2, you’ll see it’s nothing to compare!

Plus, you began Prophecies as it is advised, it is a way longer and slower pace than Factions and Nightfall, so don’t be desperate, you’ll (probably) enjoy the game.

I just realized I have much more fun playing GW1 than 2, yet I played GW2 twice more… I guess WvW saved the day!

Guild leader of The Nephilim of Elysium.

Son of Elonia.

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

I have a bit of a question, I was talking with someone in GW1 the other day and they told me that all of my old progress in Prophesies (9 year old character, stopped playing when I reached Ring of Fire) is worthless if I’m aiming for the GWAMM title, could anyone explain why this is? Were additional quests/points/whatever added to the Prophecies campaign that are required for GWAMM?

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

Yea i know u can waypoint, but kitten !! are they stingy about it.
Eg: Ascalon City all the way to the The Breach…and….no WP there.
Heck there isn’t even any WP to Old Ascalon!

I really don’t see why pple like this game so much.
To me, this is just another artificial way to add extra padding to lengthen the game.
For those people who played hundreds of hours of GW1, i bet at least 80% of those time was spent jogging all over the place.

Can someone please list out again what is it that makes GW1 good?

Well if it reasures you, I did find the pacing of the Prophecies quest to be too slow, the thing too long. Factions was better and the best was Nightfall. But I liked the Faction areas the most

I did start playing GW1 with an Assassin so I was dumped in Factions for my first contact. It probably helped. You can just ditch the Prophecies story line and start working on Factions instead at your point if you want.

As for your lack of waypoints in that part of the world, well this one is kind of a big adventure for you. It is a challenge to cross that whole place to reach the next town yeah. Maguuma Jungle is rather hard about that place too. It does make the areas feel a lot more wild/remote as it fits. Still, once you’ve unlocked the outposts the maps are all relatively easy to reach.

Except in Maguuma Jungle :p

Also, many story missions you do will actually dump you at the outpost for the next story or very close to it.

(edited by stof.9341)

Posted by: dekou.6012

dekou.6012

I have a bit of a question, I was talking with someone in GW1 the other day and they told me that all of my old progress in Prophesies (9 year old character, stopped playing when I reached Ring of Fire) is worthless if I’m aiming for the GWAMM title, could anyone explain why this is?

It’s not. That someone was wrong. That being said, you’re very, very far from GWAMM.

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

I have a bit of a question, I was talking with someone in GW1 the other day and they told me that all of my old progress in Prophesies (9 year old character, stopped playing when I reached Ring of Fire) is worthless if I’m aiming for the GWAMM title, could anyone explain why this is?

It’s not. That someone was wrong. That being said, you’re very, very far from GWAMM.

Ah, good to hear, I’d rather not have to play through all of Prophecies again, particularly since I only have four new character slots and would like to try new classes from the expansions.

And yes, I’m aware I’m very far from GWAMM ;_; Still, something to do when I’m done with dailies in GW2 (though with the latest patch I’m doing dungeons again to finish my dungeon skin collectables).