GW2 Expansion targeted for 2013

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: fractal.7039

fractal.7039

Q:

NCSoft released their earning report and conference call. The plans for GW2 include a release in China and an expansion in 2013.

Conference Call: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/376352/page/1

Earnings Report: http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/02/05/ncsoft-earnings-report-shows-healthy-growth/

That confirms the 2013 target date for an Expansion…. what could it possible be?

..so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn’t stop to think if they should

Posted by: Martin Kerstein.3071

Martin Kerstein.3071

Head of Global Community

A:

The information in this report is not correct.

It is true that Kongzhong is our Chinese publisher and that we are working with them to release Guild Wars 2 into the Chinese market. But like with the release in North America and Europe, we will do extensive beta testing, and the feedback of those tests will determine the time when we will release the game in China.

It is also true that we have said in the past that we will do an expansion at one point. But currently we are fully committed to expand the world of Guild Wars 2 through our Living Story (you can read more about it in this blog post by narrative designer Angel McCoy)

Posted by: Tosha Daydreamer.9251

Tosha Daydreamer.9251

I’m not getting myself hyped up until I’ve seen confirmation from anet itself.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I’d wager it’s true. A year to 18 months after a game comes out is prime time for an expansion.

Posted by: Narkosys.5173

Narkosys.5173

I would really like to see how many they actually sell – 3 mill gw2 sold and the retention rate is so so poor and so few playing now.

It would be very interesting to see the stats. There is no way I would ever give Anet another dime of my money and i know there are lots out there like me.

Posted by: Dradiin.8935

Dradiin.8935

I would really like to see how many they actually sell – 3 mill gw2 sold and the retention rate is so so poor and so few playing now.

It would be very interesting to see the stats. There is no way I would ever give Anet another dime of my money and i know there are lots out there like me.

Very curious where you got the information about retention rate, can you provide a link to that information ? Would be a nice read.

Vayne.8563

My server is busier now than it was two months after launch. Since you don’t like the game, you see what you want to see.

Saying stuff like this with nothing to back it up is a measure of your dislike for the game more than any objective reality.

Posted by: Hellkaiser.6025

Hellkaiser.6025

My server is busier now than it was two months after launch. Since you don’t like the game, you see what you want to see.

Saying stuff like this with nothing to back it up is a measure of your dislike for the game more than any objective reality.

That was not his issue at all, his issue is that he doesn’t deem players who come back for new content every now and then as a fully retained player. At least that’s my interpretation of what he was saying. Also, is your server busier generally or is it just the remaining players are pooled into specific area’s? I was on desolation farming and came across 2 players in the space of 3 hours, one of which turned out to be a bot on a loop of an area. :/ I don’t expect mad volume of players everywhere, but really it doesn’t feel like the game is teeming with life and I’m fully open to the ideal of this game being so, I just DON’T friggin see it….

Irony…. xD

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

I agree the game is very busy, I see people claiming it is empty but this is just not my experience at all.

OT I would be very interested to know if this rumor about an expansion is true, since I recall the Dev’s mentioning that they will not be bringing out paid expansions with the frequency of GW but rather keep rolling out new content continually.

I also seem to recall that someone said somewhere they were not even working on an expansion yet?
Sorry I have no idea where I saw any of this otherwise I would link it.- maybe the Reddit AMA?

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Mackdose.6504

Mackdose.6504

By “expected 2013” they probably mean fiscal year 2013.

“I didn’t buy into GW2 being the second coming of christ.
I just wanted a AAA MMO with no sub made by ArenaNet. And it’s awesome.”

Posted by: MRA.4758

MRA.4758

NCSoft released their earning report and conference call. The plans for GW2 include a release in China and an expansion in 2013. That confirms the 2013 target date for an Expansion….

Given the popularity of the game, an expansion approximately one year into the game is kind of very likely. But a conference call isn’t exactly an announcement of a release date. If I am not mistaken, “2013” in that fiscal context may be as late as Q1 2014.

what could it possible be?

Well, I have this character slot reserved since release for my beloved Tengu guardian …

~MRA

IGN: Peavy (Asuran Engineer)
Tyrian Intelligence Agency [TIA]
Dies for Riverside on a regular basis, since the betas

MRA.4758

I also seem to recall that someone said somewhere they were not even working on an expansion yet? Sorry I have no idea where I saw any of this otherwise I would link it.- maybe the Reddit AMA?

I do recall that statement as well (and I have no source, either).

However, one has to understand that “not working on” is frequently used by ANet in the sense of “nobody is currently writing and committing source code”. As in the case of the precursor scavenger hunt, it might still mean that someone is currently designing that content in a conceptual stage.

~MRA

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

NCSoft is known for releasing false reports…. If NCSoft reports were true GW2 would had been released as far back as 2008 (If I’m not mistaken)

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Very curious where you got the information about retention rate, can you provide a link to that information ? Would be a nice read.

I don’t know about retention rates, but based on unscientific observations of my friends list I suspect this game has a lot of ‘churn’. That is, old players moving on but being replaced by new ones. Entirely speculation! No need for pitchforks. Although those would make for interesting weapons…

The table is a fable.

Posted by: Azjenco.9425

Azjenco.9425

Somehow I doubt it. Ten months feel like too short a time to see an expansion. From what we’ve heard they’re in the thick of getting the existing content up to scratch, and until then, I doubt ANet will buckle down to get the expansion out. I’m sure they’ll probably want to include a lot of the designs they’re still attempting to perfect now into the expansion.

Posted by: Yaki.9563

Yaki.9563

LOL?

Posted by: Yumiya.3951

Yumiya.3951

Wouldn’t mind if it’s true. I got 100% map completion and a boatload of other Explorer related achievements, and despite there being so much more to do and achieve, I can’t help but feel like I finished the game. I’m a sucker for exploring and I can’t wait to discover a new continent.

Posted by: kRiza krimos.1637

kRiza krimos.1637

Its pulled out of his kitten. Oficial statment is that numbers of log-in’s is slowly and steadly rising.

Posted by: Sythus.2396

Sythus.2396

Well my server has queues for WvW almost all the time, LA is full with people, Cursed Shore is packed as well. But I guess people are not playing

Posted by: Animando.7956

Animando.7956

GW1 Faction launched exactly one year after Prophecies. I think it will be the same for GW2.

MRA.4758

NCSoft is known for releasing false reports…. If NCSoft reports were true GW2 would had been released as far back as 2008 (If I’m not mistaken)

Well, I’d guess you are mistaken.

I don’t know of the NCSoft reports from that time, but the 2008 date was mentioned initially in the same magazine interview when they announced Eye of the North, back in 2007. I have to look for the exact quote, but it was something along the lines of “beta for GW2 starts in 2008”. As we all know, ANet did miss that date by some days, as they were happily “iterating” their game.

Nevertheless, I doubt that you will find the same bold claim in the actual earnings conference call. Companies are a obliged by law to tell the truth to their investors. If they had misled investors, they would have get sued for that.

~MRA

Vayne.8563

That was not his issue at all, his issue is that he doesn’t deem players who come back for new content every now and then as a fully retained player. At least that’s my interpretation of what he was saying. Also, is your server busier generally or is it just the remaining players are pooled into specific area’s? I was on desolation farming and came across 2 players in the space of 3 hours, one of which turned out to be a bot on a loop of an area. :/ I don’t expect mad volume of players everywhere, but really it doesn’t feel like the game is teeming with life and I’m fully open to the ideal of this game being so, I just DON’T friggin see it….

I’m on Tarnished Coast and I’m an altoholic, so I have many characters at many levels in many zones, at pretty much all hours since I’m also an Australian insomniac. lol

The starter zones I always see people. In the mid ranged zones, it’s less…until an event pops, and I type in map chat that there’s this event starting and 2 minutes later there’s people there. Not all the time, but enough of the time.

In fact, I can’t remember the last time I started a group event solo, where people didn’t end up turning up to at very least rez me. lol

Vayne.8563

Wouldn’t mind if it’s true. I got 100% map completion and a boatload of other Explorer related achievements, and despite there being so much more to do and achieve, I can’t help but feel like I finished the game. I’m a sucker for exploring and I can’t wait to discover a new continent.

I have 100% map completion and I’m still always finding stuff in zones I missed the first time through. In every zone.

Sometimes it’s a jumping puzzle, which doesn’t count toward completion, or one of the zone achievements, like the hidden river in Orr, or just a weird thing like Anton’s grave (which was very cool to find).

There’s so much hidden stuff in this game, every time I play through a zone (with map markers turned off, now, since I got the achievement already) I find stuff I didn’t expect, or caves I’ve never been in.

Posted by: fractal.7039

fractal.7039

I don’t know if I can see Canthan…. I would love to see Crystal Desert and down toward Vrabbi be uncovered.

..so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn’t stop to think if they should

Posted by: wintermute.4096

wintermute.4096

Well, if all this expansion does deliver is “an expansion’s worth of content” by anet standards, I wouldn’t hold my breath for it.

Posted by: Grim West.3194

Grim West.3194

Pretty much have zero interest in GW2 or it’s expansion.

The game just isn’t fun. Instanced dungeon gear grinds do not interest me. The WvW has potential but in it’s current form is pretty lame. WAR’s RvR was better than this even with it’s 2 faction issue. I like to explore so that would give me a reason to play, IF there was a first person camera option. But my toon gets in the way of the view so there isn’t any point in that either.

I bought all the GW1 expansions and loved them, and still log in to that old favorite. But GW2 bores me.

Posted by: hharry.1967

hharry.1967

Unless there are more pvp game modes and better class balance before the end of the year i doubt i will be getting an expansion even if they advertise these features in the expansion =/. For now i still enjoy the game but i feel scammed for all that was promised and still not here, cant even think of an expansion now.

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

My body is ready. BRING IT ArenaNet!

Posted by: ASB.4295

ASB.4295

It indicates their plans at most, OP, but confirmed is nothing until there is a leaked/official statement. They have half of their company(~150ppl) working on an expansion since launch, so a late 2013/early 2014 release would be feasible in my opinion. It’d would also be timed well, as that’ll be the time frame where they will add the last pieces of ascended gear and/or highest tiered infusions to the game. As soon as the most dedicated players have their full ascended gear set and infusions, there’ll be 10 more levels of better gear and leveling to progress. Sounds like a plan.

MRA.4758

No offense, but you are well aware of the irony of posting such a statement in a forum whose sole topic is GW2, and in a thread that is dedicated to its potential expansion, are you?

~MRA

Grim West.3194

No offense, but you are well aware of the irony posting such a statement in a forum whose sole topic is GW2, and in a thread that is dedicated to its potential expansion, are you?

~MRA

Well, I had high hopes for GW2. GW1 is one of my favorite games of all time. Posting here is the only way to let the devs know they are on the wrong track. That and by not logging in or giving them money (which is already happening).

If you know of a better way to get the devs to listen to our concerns, please enlighten us. And if the devs do listen and make the appropriate changes then I would be interested. But in it’s current form, GW2 is lame.

Posted by: Reaver.9256

Reaver.9256

The sooner the better I say. Already hear enough people in game complaining about the lack of progression. The sooner they add new things to play with the more people will keep playing…..

MRA.4758

If you know of a better way to get the devs to listen to our concerns, please enlighten us.

I may not be wise enough to enlighten anybody, but from my experience posting in a web forum has approximately zero impact on the direction of a multi-million dollar software project. Companies and developers are far more willing to listen to monthly sales figures and market research data, or, in some rare occasions, to their artistic vision.

I could spend all day in a Call of Duty forum explaining to everybody in all detail why I think that their game sucks kittens, but I assume this to be a waste of time.

~MRA

Grim West.3194

Then your experience would be wrong. Most gaming devs get their main feedback from web forums.

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

No offense, but you are well aware of the irony posting such a statement in a forum whose sole topic is GW2, and in a thread that is dedicated to its potential expansion, are you?

~MRA

Well, I had high hopes for GW2. GW1 is one of my favorite games of all time. Posting here is the only way to let the devs know they are on the wrong track. That and by not logging in or giving them money (which is already happening).

If you know of a better way to get the devs to listen to our concerns, please enlighten us. And if the devs do listen and make the appropriate changes then I would be interested. But in it’s current form, GW2 is lame.

Your concerns are not mine,or our concerns,first thing youre doing wrong,you need to speak for yourself and yourself only,not for me or any other person.If you want them to “listen” how about you make a nice suggestion in the Suggestion thread,as opposed to complaining in a Gw2 Expansion thread.Second thing youre doing wrong.

Grim West.3194

~MRA

Your concerns are not mine,or our concerns,first thing youre doing wrong,you need to speak for yourself and yourself only,not for me or any other person.If you want them to “listen” how about you make a nice suggestion in the Suggestion thread,as opposed to complaining in a Gw2 Expansion thread.Second thing youre doing wrong.

Lol, in your opinion. And in my opinion you are wrong to call me wrong… c wut i did thar? If it bothers you so much that we don’t like GW2 in it’s current form, then dont’ read our posts.

Posted by: ChipSet.8435

ChipSet.8435

Then your experience would be wrong. Most gaming devs get their main feedback from web forums.

True and I hope the devs are listening the feedback of the people who actually play the game. Instead of listening the feedback of a GW1 fanboy who doesn’t play anymore because he thinks GW2 is lame

I apologize for any grammar or spelling mistakes, English is not my primary language.