GW2 lacks memorable music

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

All if not most great games have it, the x factor, memorable music that etches into our memories.

Unfortunately, gw2’s most memorable one for me is “fear not this night”, played once at the end and pretty much never heard again.

I think we could use more memorable music, i think final fantasy games were awesome in this aspect.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

/sings

Dragon Bash Festival Song

This world has lived in shadow from a pair of demon’s wings,
But none here fear the future or the darkness that it brings.
The monster puts on quite a show expecting us to yield,
But there’s just one course of action when we take up sword and shield

Bash the Dragon, Smash the Dragon
drive it right back into its den,
May It never rises up again,
drive it right back into its den
May It never rise up again,
May It never rise up again.

/segues into humming The Fight on the Breachmaker

Posted by: Paradox.1380

Paradox.1380

I find GW2s music fascinating, and I love the title music so much it is filled with such memories for me. And I still listen to the OST I got with my CE of the game. Its beautiful music.

-It’s Lady Paradox- Sweet Adrenaline
“What Part Of Living Says You Gotta Die?
I Plan On Burnin Through Another 9 Lives”

Posted by: ReaverKane.7598

ReaverKane.7598

In like 10 years of playing MMOs… GuildWars 2 is the only one that after years of playing i still play with the game music On.
Moreover… Just today i was checking the SoundCloud of GW2, and hearing back the dragon bash song, the twisted Clocktower theme, the SAB themes, etc. There’s a ton of memorable music in this game. Fear not this night, is just one of them, and not really the most memorable, maybe the most Iconic. But, like you said yourself, it bears little consequence from the game.
All the music in GW2 is memorable, as opposed to so many games that only have one memorable music (or just the one music).

Posted by: scorekeeper.6524

scorekeeper.6524

April Fool’s is over, right?

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

This game…out of all the games i have played..has the only music i bother keeping on….not even in MMOS, out of all my games! Skyrim and GW2 are the only ones i play with the music on!

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

Jeremy Soule’s music tracks that were released at launched weren’t very memorable. I think only the main theme really was. All the rest just seem generic.

SAB music how ever. Very memorable!

Posted by: Sabin.3527

Sabin.3527

I love the melody used for Dry Top map and Living Story.

Posted by: Asumir.1978

Asumir.1978

I find myself in urgent need of a Charrzooka.

Thaír ar Nádal aï Narvèduí – Zían athâ éhû Tharnadaï
From Shadow unto Light is born the Narvedui
While softly walks the Tharnadai

Posted by: Asumir.1978

Asumir.1978

‘The Tengu Wall’ pulled at my heartstrings till they ached.

Thaír ar Nádal aï Narvèduí – Zían athâ éhû Tharnadaï
From Shadow unto Light is born the Narvedui
While softly walks the Tharnadai

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

Every MMO I’ve ever played in over a decade of it I have got bored of the BGM within weeks and muted it.

GW2’s music is absolutely bloody amazing, and I could never imagine playing the game without the music on. Every region has it’s own musical flair that lets you know exactly which part of Tyria you’re in.
Every track is memorable to me because of how well they portray what they are supposed to, from the relaxed, soothing music of the shiverpeaks to the intensity of combat, I love it all.

Fear Not This Night is simply the tip of a very large iceberg

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Battle on The Breachmaker is one of my favorite pieces of music from any video game ever. And it’s honestly just one of many selections I love (from both GW1 and GW2).

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

Jeremy Soule’s music not memorable? This HAS to be a troll thread.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: PCanineBrigade.4916

PCanineBrigade.4916

Battle on The Breachmaker is one of my favorite pieces of music from any video game ever. And it’s honestly just one of many selections I love (from both GW1 and GW2).

I second this, and also marionette fight theme. These pieces has stuck in my head since they were introduced. (There’s also a vocal version of BoTBreachmaker that Sharm made, make sure to check it out!)

Posted by: Jinroh.4251

Jinroh.4251

I don’t mind GW’s music. However I do love that they gave us the option to have our own music playing in game for cities, battles, night time etc.

Posted by: Naus the Gobbo.5172

Naus the Gobbo.5172

This game has plenty of memorable music.

What we do in life echoes in eternity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zkT2uZAGA – GW2 – A world of wonder

Posted by: Gehirn.8796

Gehirn.8796

These stick in my mind the most (besides Fear Not This Night) and probably because I enjoyed the events immensely:

Bazaar of the Four Winds: Labyrinthine Cliffs / Sanctum Sprint
Twisted Marionette Battle: Part 1 / Part 2
Super Adventure Box: Sunny Glade / World Hub
Wintersday 2012: The Great Toymaker

The Charr Triumphant deserves a mention, too (Tequatl music).

Posted by: Aidenwolf.5964

Aidenwolf.5964

You’ve got to be kidding. The music in GW2 is exceptional and the Dragon bash song still pops into my head when I fight Teq (seriously it should play during the fight). Jeremy Soule is the John Williams of video game soundtracks and hit a home run with the music for Guild Wars 2, to say otherwise only demonstrates that not everyone has an ear for music.

Seriously, it’s very good.

Buy To Play Guild Wars 2 2012-2015 – RIP
Unlucky since launch, RNG isn’t random
PugLife SoloQ

Posted by: Exxcalibur.6203

Exxcalibur.6203

“Skritt, I’m hit!"

Posted by: Scoobaniec.9561

Scoobaniec.9561

Memorable? Compared to lets say Two Steps From Hell, John Powell or game OST from Divinity series? Not even a bit. The music used in this game is really boring without any emotions at all. Thats said the new guy working on music doing a good job actually unlike Jeremy and his potato generic “music”. Im glad hes gone. I guess the olny good one actually from his list is “The Seraph” but thats about it.

I dont think i have to link music to TSFH nor John Powell (and after all they produce trailer/movie music) but i will give some examples from Divinity;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRzvLrriF1E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WatqoJBlNsg.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUd8QR9A8Rk <for teq plox
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVm_JLYFi_Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZjumvf_Ikk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOcZkBh3Eis

Thats basically my wishlist to see in gw2 but for now.. i will keep gw2 muted sadly. I olny hope we wont hear Jeremy music in HoT zones.

(edited by Scoobaniec.9561)

Posted by: Sankofa Jimiyu.1567

Sankofa Jimiyu.1567

As a old Guild Wars player, logging in for the first time and wandering Queensdale and hearing “Sands of Kryta” brought me to tears.
“Battle on the Breachmaker” sent me back to the fight over and over.
Both old and new music has been memorable and I associate with the best times with friends and in game.

“Look like the innocent flower, but be the Obaba under’t.”

Posted by: WabbaJaga.3861

WabbaJaga.3861

Thats basically my wishlist to see in gw2

I hope that will never be the case. But it’s all a matter of taste, I know.

Posted by: bosh.9803

bosh.9803

GW2 and the whole franchise has arguably the best music of all time.

Posted by: Roe.3679

Roe.3679

Love the music in this game.

Posted by: Hamfast.8719

Hamfast.8719

After 20 years, still the best game soundtrack of all time, period: Mechwarrior 2. The perfect compliment for its type of action.

(If you go to the YouTube page you can jump directly to all the individual songs. This only plays track one).

It definitely puts you into the mindset of large, inexorable hunters tracking down their prey. Certain tracks still get my blood pumping. (They should… many of the tracks have a “heartbeat” pulsing along).

This soundtrack would work okay in Norn areas, but I think you’ll agree it would be excellent background music for the mechanical-minded Charr. The “jungle drums” sound of some tracks might be good in HoT.

I haven’t played around with custom tracks in GW2… what sort of customization options do I have? Can I specify certain tracks for specific zones, and have them play randomly?

Build a man a fire, and he’ll be warm all day.
Set a man on fire, and he’ll be warm the rest of his life.
– Unknown Fire Elementalist

(edited by Hamfast.8719)

Posted by: Hamfast.8719

Hamfast.8719

Of course, it’s always possible that the GW2 music just needs more cowbell.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/536145

Build a man a fire, and he’ll be warm all day.
Set a man on fire, and he’ll be warm the rest of his life.
– Unknown Fire Elementalist

Posted by: Akikaze.1307

Akikaze.1307

I actually have to agree with the thread OP. It’s not saying the music isn’t good, there are some wonderful songs but they lack something. I think the problem is the score is used to tell a chapter of a story, making it more difficult to be distinctive or instantly recognized.

‘Fear Not This Night’ for example is a wonderful inspiring song. However if you give it to someone who is unfamiliar to the game to listen to, they wouldn’t guess it’s GW2.

(edited by Akikaze.1307)

Posted by: ckotoc.5421

ckotoc.5421

Gw2 has the best music from all mmorpgs from the start of this universe.Its the only mmorpg i have the music on.

Posted by: darkprecure.6129

darkprecure.6129

Everytime I listen to “The Seraph” I’m back at the Promenade of the Gods during “A Light in the Darkness”

And I really like “Raven Speaks”, too. (And “Scales of Issormir”)

But the other BGMs are also great.

(edited by darkprecure.6129)

Posted by: ReaverKane.7598

ReaverKane.7598

Memorable? Compared to lets say Two Steps From Hell, John Powell or game OST from Divinity series? Not even a bit. The music used in this game is really boring without any emotions at all. Thats said the new guy working on music doing a good job actually unlike Jeremy and his potato generic “music”. Im glad hes gone. I guess the olny good one actually from his list is “The Seraph” but thats about it.

I dont think i have to link music to TSFH nor John Powell (and after all they produce trailer/movie music) but i will give some examples from Divinity;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRzvLrriF1E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WatqoJBlNsg.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUd8QR9A8Rk <for teq plox
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVm_JLYFi_Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZjumvf_Ikk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOcZkBh3Eis

Thats basically my wishlist to see in gw2 but for now.. i will keep gw2 muted sadly. I olny hope we wont hear Jeremy music in HoT zones.

For starters, YOU can customize the playlist, check the wiki and stop complaining about something you can already do something about. And play whichever music you want. And second. Its a matter of taste, and musical culture which music you like or prefer. The fact remains that GW2’s music suits the game perfectly.

I actually have to agree with the thread OP. It’s not saying the music isn’t good, there are some wonderful songs but they lack something. I think the problem is the score is used to tell a chapter of a story, making it more difficult to be distinctive or instantly recognized.

‘Fear Not This Night’ for example is a wonderful inspiring song. However if you give it to someone who is unfamiliar to the game to listen to, they wouldn’t guess it’s GW2.

Which is pretty normal. I can’t think of a single game that people will hear the music and recognize the game without ever playing it.
The exception might be classic console games that became such a pop icon that the music has bled from a plethora of sources.

(edited by ReaverKane.7598)