Gem shop skins too expensive.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Chewablesleeptablet.3185

Chewablesleeptablet.3185

Compared to other games the price for weapon or armor skins in the gemshop are insanely too high. What amazes me is they are also only one-time use! They should at least work like Achievement skins.

IMO it is too expensive for both the workaholic and the kid or basement dweller. Skins in other games cost $1.90 whereas skins in GW2 cost approx. $10.

I ask you not to comment here about “Anet has to make money somehow”, because they would definitely get way more sales if the skins were cheaper. Gold to gem conversion is about 1g = 10 gems. It is safe to say that the price conversion for gems will not go down since farms have been established.

Soon it could be 1g = 1 gem. Amazing right? Glad I obtained 16 character slots through gem conversion before this happened.

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

Compared to other games the price for weapon or armor skins in the gemshop are insanely too high. What amazes me is they are also only one-time use! They should at least work like Achievement skins.

IMO it is too expensive for both the workaholic and the kid or basement dweller. Skins in other games cost $1.90 whereas skins in GW2 cost approx. $10.

I ask you not to comment here about “Anet has to make money somehow”, because they would definitely get way more sales if the skins were cheaper. Gold to gem conversion is about 1g = 10 gems. It is safe to say that the price conversion for gems will not go down since farms have been established.

Soon it could be 1g = 1 gem. Amazing right? Glad I obtained 16 character slots through gem conversion before this happened.

1.) Unlike other games in it’s genre, GW2 is not subscription based. The alternative is to act like WoW where you are charged for several cosmetics while also paying a monthly fee. No one wants that.

2.) They will not be one-time use because Anet makes a lot of money on transmutation sales

3.) 1 gem to 1g will not happen. The higher the exchange rate from gold to gems, the more people who will resort to selling gems rather than consuming them. This keeps the price in check.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Posted by: Direksone.3867

Direksone.3867

While I agree that I would like to see them become unlocked like Achievement skins (and we can still use transmutation stones to apply them for instance), they’re not ‘too’ expensive. The thing is: you CAN use gold to buy those things. If you farm a lot or flip the TP well you can make a TON of money and buy all those things for ‘free’.

Blood And Metal is a guild on Gunnars Hold that is all about metal, punk,hard rock etc.. Join us!

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Yeah, they are way too expensive! Buy another skin of the TP for gems instead. Its just like 5,000 gems. Only 20,000 if you want a legendary. That’s like nothing compared to the horrible 600 gem price on these skins! Boooooo!!!

Posted by: Aye.8392

Aye.8392

Compared to what we’ve been seeing with the only way to get special weapon skins being to buy BLTC keys this is much more financially reasonable. I would rather pay 600 gems and get to choose which weapon I want than 125 gems for a rare chance to get the skin. There are some who say the odds are 1 in 50 for a weapon ticket in the BLTC.

Maybe it’s all in what you compare to — you’re comparing what other games charge for a skin, while I’m comparing what players in GW2 have spent to get the skins in the past. But, personally I’m glad to see that we can buy these even at 600 gems.

www.AlchemyIncorporated.net
Sorrows Furnace

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I’m not sure that zero real world money qualifies as too expensive. If you are paying real world money you are paying for immediacy.

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

I think theyrew expensive because;

A)There’s only 3 skins

B)They’re testing the waters again with this.

I imagine is there were more skins they’d probably charge a lot less.

I ? Karkas.

Posted by: Gabby.3205

Gabby.3205

I don’t think so.
The last time I checked, the zodiac skins were way more expansive on the TP than these skins are, for example.

Tarnished Coast
Astrid Strongheart, Norn Ranger.
“I wish juvenile wolves were bigger”

Posted by: Gillian.1859

Gillian.1859

Let the prices be expensive because I sure as hell do not want everyone to start running around with those weapons.

People who do spend real money should have the “prestige” of owning a nice skin. Besides, you do not have to spend real money on it and you can farm your gold and convert them to gems. They are luxury items, just as in real world, you can get free cheap giveaway pens, or you can spend over 100$ on a Parker plume just because you have the money to blow on things like that.

Posted by: TinkTinkPOOF.9201

TinkTinkPOOF.9201

I think the price is pretty normal over all. I have bought a few of them to test out. Only thing I don’t like is lack of choices and weapon skins are a dice roll, also most of the skins out now I don’t like in the least, which is where more choices come in and being able to buy each part on its own would be nice and make mixing and matching far cheaper than buying a whole set for one item.

6700k@5GHz | 32GB RAM | 1TB 850 SSD | GTX980Ti | 27" 144Hz Gsync

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

Compared to what we’ve been seeing with the only way to get special weapon skins being to buy BLTC keys this is much more financially reasonable. I would rather pay 600 gems and get to choose which weapon I want than 125 gems for a rare chance to get the skin. There are some who say the odds are 1 in 50 for a weapon ticket in the BLTC.

Maybe it’s all in what you compare to — you’re comparing what other games charge for a skin, while I’m comparing what players in GW2 have spent to get the skins in the past. But, personally I’m glad to see that we can buy these even at 600 gems.

This.
I am very glad that they put the skins up directly- if you really want them you now have two options to get them for sure.
You can convert the gold or buy the gems outright.
This is a vast improvement over RNG scraps/ tickets

It is less than $10 dollars- It is not going to break your bank.

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: RoRo.8270

RoRo.8270

Let the prices be expensive because I sure as hell do not want everyone to start running around with those weapons.

People who do spend real money should have the “prestige” of owning a nice skin. Besides, you do not have to spend real money on it and you can farm your gold and convert them to gems. They are luxury items, just as in real world, you can get free cheap giveaway pens, or you can spend over 100$ on a Parker plume just because you have the money to blow on things like that.

So prestige these days involves opening your wallet to pay for skins.

Posted by: ahuba.6430

ahuba.6430

Back in my day, prestigious skins were the ones you would get from beating hard, challenging content. Funny enough there will never be any of this in guild wars 2, because 1) there is no hard content, 2) good looking skins will always go to the gem shop.

Posted by: KOPPER.1458

KOPPER.1458

at the very least I would like to get an sPVP version and a PvE version. Right now I have to pick. While similar but different can’t the meta rewards give you both, again you have to choose.

Posted by: Nev.5316

Nev.5316

Back in my day, prestigious skins were the ones you would get from beating hard, challenging content. Funny enough there will never be any of this in guild wars 2, because 1) there is no hard content, 2) good looking skins will always go to the gem shop.

Thanks for stating something everyone knows.

Posted by: Protoavis.9107

Protoavis.9107

1.) Unlike other games in it’s genre, GW2 is not subscription based. The alternative is to act like WoW where you are charged for several cosmetics while also paying a monthly fee. No one wants that.

2.) They will not be one-time use because Anet makes a lot of money on transmutation sales

3.) 1 gem to 1g will not happen. The higher the exchange rate from gold to gems, the more people who will resort to selling gems rather than consuming them. This keeps the price in check.

point 1 ignores f2p games, take DCUO for example, 1 weapon skin in GW2 equals the cost of an expansion pack in DCUO with new raids/dungeons/armor/weapons/powerset/etc. the costs of skins in gw2 is much higher than the majority of other mmo’s regardless of p2p/f2p

point 3 ignores the already increasing gem value, they’ve done nothing but increase since launch. A year ago 100 gems was around 78s, it’s now 8g16s and increasing almost daily.

Let us buy vendor mats (eg spools of thread) in 250 stacks, end the excessive clicking.