Give SAB more love, expand it...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Odin the exiled.5764

Odin the exiled.5764

SAB needs more love, make it available 24/7, not just for april’s fools. You brought it back for world 2 as a back to school event the one year i believe in the fall. So just make it a perm thing. Also Bring world 3 and 4 and more. Since you guys feel raids are the “place” to be then let’s get a SAB raid and trib raid too. As it is with the 1 month a year for SAB soo many players pass on it, cuz they hate jp’s and are not good at it, so they don’t wanna waste there time with this event, But if it was year round more ppl would probably try it and actually start liking it. So get cracking on it. A SAB raid is the only raid i’ll ever want to do ever

Posted by: Moonyeti.3296

Moonyeti.3296

I wouldn’t be against it available all the time, but in my opinion people get so excited over it because of its limited availability. If it was available all the time most people would quickly get bored of it and it would go largely untouched, except by the most dedicated SAB fans. Which again is fine with me, no harm there even if it isn’t used by many, but I just don’t think it would make a big difference to most people in the long run.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

I appreciate SAB more as an annual festival.
Perhaps it’s a good thing (for me) that they didn’t add World 3 like I would have wanted, except there were more interesting game releases to hit this month, and SAB would take my time away from them. :P

Here’s to hoping next year sees us with World 3! Even if it has the dreaded underwater level!

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: AliamRationem.5172

AliamRationem.5172

I’ve come to expect the unexpected in GW2. There are so many things I look at and say, “Well, I didn’t expect to see THAT in an MMO!” In that sense, SAB is very GW2 to me. It’s just not what I expect to see from an MMO at all.

It’s also very well done, in my opinion. The graphics and music are perfect and for a half-finished project, it brings a lot to the table with the various difficulty modes, achievements, and items to unlock. I would love to see more worlds released.

This is my first time participating in SAB and it’s been an absolute blast. I will be sad to see it go.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I think it would be a bad thing for SAB fans to have it available all the time. Familiarity breeds contempt, especially for gamers.

As an example, there are already a couple of posts about people complaining they have nothing left to do in SAB. (Presumably they farmed all the skins, finished all the achievements.) They are insisting they need more, more, more. This minority of SAB fans would grow, the longer SAB remains open.

The problem is that while SAB fans are extremely passionate about the game mode, lots of people are indifferent or event hate it just as passionately — they aren’t jumpers or they don’t like platform games or they have no nostalgia for the 8-bit era.

Thus investing in SAB development might not be the best thing for the game and its community, despite how much the OP and others love it.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

I think it would be a bad thing for SAB fans to have it available all the time. Familiarity breeds contempt, especially for gamers.

As an example, there are already a couple of posts about people complaining they have nothing left to do in SAB. (Presumably they farmed all the skins, finished all the achievements.) They are insisting they need more, more, more. This minority of SAB fans would grow, the longer SAB remains open.

The problem is that while SAB fans are extremely passionate about the game mode, lots of people are indifferent or event hate it just as passionately — they aren’t jumpers or they don’t like platform games or they have no nostalgia for the 8-bit era.

Thus investing in SAB development might not be the best thing for the game and its community, despite how much the OP and others love it.

i agree with you on this fully and i never played it myself and do not plan on it . very well said

no new system upgrades coming

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I think a permanent SAB (or the addition of Worlds 3 and 4 and the conclusion of the ‘story’) would be like any other map/content added to the game. Within a couple of months, the forums would have posts like ‘been there, done that – 100 times…when do we get something new??’

It’s better as a Festival, in my opinion, and I have not even entered this year, as just a different color on the weapons hold little enticement for me.

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

To be honest I wish they’d offer a $15 DLC for GW2 that finishes W3 and W4 and makes SAB available all year round from your home instance. This helps pay for their effort to implement the new worlds, gives people who just love it and love running around in it the ability to do so, and doesn’t force everyone to endure it all year round.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

They already said last year when they turned SAB into an annual festival that they can’t have it open permanently due to corollary coding issues it causes.

Posted by: Vargamonth.2047

Vargamonth.2047

SAB works wonders as a festival. As many others pointed out, a lot of fans would eventually get bored if it were available the whole time.

However, if there are no plans to develop any new SAB content, they could at least put a little effort on the reward structure.
Current system worked fine last year because the last time SAB had been around was prior to wardrobe and collections, so just a tiny minority (even among fans) had all the skins already farmed.
That’s hardly the case this time around, and the reward structure offers really little use for tribulation modes, baubles and pretty much anything besides the dailies once the skins are obtained.

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

SAB works wonders as a festival. As many others pointed out, a lot of fans would eventually get bored if it were available the whole time.

However, if there are no plans to develop any new SAB content, they could at least put a little effort on the reward structure.
Current system worked fine last year because the last time SAB had been around was prior to wardrobe and collections, so just a tiny minority (even among fans) had all the skins already farmed.
That’s hardly the case this time around, and the reward structure offers really little use for tribulation modes, baubles and pretty much anything besides the dailies once the skins are obtained.

As is the case with most platforming games. Reward structures really only artificially try to lengthen the replayability of a game.
Though getting furniture coins and thus access to more guild hall decorations is akin to earning more resources for your own level editor. In theory anyway.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

SAB is fine as a festival.

But it is a half finished festival.

Which isn’t fine

AliamRationem.5172

Wow. A lot of responses about how it would become boring. But isn’t that true of any content? I mean I’m pretty bored of Queensdale. How would you guys feel about making access to that map restricted to an annual 3 week festival? Raids seem pretty repetitive, too. Festival. How about PvP? Only one game mode over and over again. Festival time!

As for rewards artificially adding replay value? Show me the content that stands on its own with no rewards. Rewards are used in the exact same way across pretty much every type of content we have.

Not that any of this indicates that we MUST make SAB full-time and expand upon it. But how about letting individuals decide for themselves how fun and rewarding it is, huh?

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Wow. A lot of responses about how it would become boring. But isn’t that true of any content? I mean I’m pretty bored of Queensdale. How would you guys feel about making access to that map restricted to an annual 3 week festival? Raids seem pretty repetitive, too. Festival. How about PvP? Only one game mode over and over again. Festival time!

As for rewards artificially adding replay value? Show me the content that stands on its own with no rewards. Rewards are used in the exact same way across pretty much every type of content we have.

Not that any of this indicates that we MUST make SAB full-time and expand upon it. But how about letting individuals decide for themselves how fun and rewarding it is, huh?

Is anyone asking for dev resources to be diverted to a major investment in queensdale?

Illconceived Was Na.9781

You’ve misunderstood. Some maps have a lot of repeatability for a lot of players. Some don’t. That’s why Halloween and Wintersday are festivals and why Tequatl isn’t.

And, to the point, that’s why a lot of people no longer think the Tequatl is special at this point; they’ve done it so many times.

A good game will include permanent, annual, and temporary content. Which parts belong in which type are up to the developers, not the players — they have a better idea of the big picture.

Posted by: thefinnster.6904

thefinnster.6904

personaly i preffer my sab as a festival and not permanat content but i do agree that SAB needs more love in the form of more maps
cant help but feel like Anet has become realy lazy when it comes to there festavils since the end of season 2
wintersday halloween SAB all very good examples of how Anet has done absolutely nothing at all to progress any festival in any way they have become stagnent and unplayable for most veteran players because its the same @#*% we done last year and the year before that.

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

and lose more resources on raids, fractals and LS? no thank you, first halloween, that story has been frozen for years now

Posted by: thefinnster.6904

thefinnster.6904

As i understand it Anet has a seperate devoted design team for raids so no you wouldent lose any resource there and as far as fractals are concenred id rather see more SAB

Illconceived Was Na.9781

As i understand it Anet has a seperate devoted design team for raids so no you wouldent lose any resource there and as far as fractals are concenred id rather see more SAB

Where are the resources coming from to “see more SAB”? They’d have to come from someplace. And, as you can see, there are plenty of folks that would prefer to see those resources dedicated anywhere else other than SAB.

Rauderi.8706

Where are the resources coming from to “see more SAB”? They’d have to come from someplace. And, as you can see, there are plenty of folks that would prefer to see those resources dedicated anywhere else other than SAB.

Devil’s Advocate:
If you wanted to cite “number of players appeased/participating” as a criterion, the SAB population is probably larger. I’ve yet to see a protest line circumvent Rata Sum for raids. Just sayin’.

Many alts; handle it!
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

I am not interested in SAB and am uninterested in the devs spending any additional time on it. I would prefer additional PvE content.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

(edited by Djinn.9245)

Posted by: Blockhead Magee.3092

Blockhead Magee.3092

If player opinions matter, I say don’t spend any more valuable developer recourses on SAB. There are new maps that need to be explored and WvW could use some serious love.

SBI

Posted by: Nika.3946

Nika.3946

I am not interested in SAB and am uninterested in the devs spending any additional time on it. I would prefer additional PvE content.

Totally agreed .
I really dislike SAB , even music in my Guild Hall with SAB theme makes me angry and unhappy . Please , dont waste Devs time on this event !!
I came back to Wildstar for this month when SAB is in GW2

Posted by: HeavenlyKnight.1538

HeavenlyKnight.1538

Please consider world 3 for next year. New color sab weapon collection. And green, yellow, and orange bauble infusions.

Amaimon.7823

Devil’s Advocate:
If you wanted to cite “number of players appeased/participating” as a criterion, the SAB population is probably larger. I’ve yet to see a protest line circumvent Rata Sum for raids. Just sayin’.

Devil’s Prosecutor:
Raids are permanent content, and SAB is only available 3 weeks a year. Wasting resources on something that’s only available for a short time a year is fine, but it should never come at the cost of the main content. People love it, that is no discussion, but people tend to forget SAB is just a mini game, while raids are a part of the vibrant and “real” world

Posted by: drunkenpilot.9837

drunkenpilot.9837

Speaking as someone who is a huge fan of Super Adventure Box, I would love to see more content for future festivals. I don’t think any SAB fans would be against getting additional worlds over the coming years.

But.

Speaking as someone who is also a huge fan of the healthy state GW2 is currently in and the regularity of content and QoL updates, I would be really disappointed if they sacrificed the steady, regular stream of patches we’ve been getting over the last year for the sake of more content that can only be accessed during a 3 week festival.

I love SAB and I’ve begged for more SAB stuff just like many others here on the forums and in-game. But if the only way we’ll ever see W3 or W4 is by putting the playerbase into another 6+ month long content drought then I would have to say that it isn’t worth it.

However!

If one or two devs could be spared to take W3 on as a pet project for next year, and if that isn’t going to negatively impact the healthy state of the game as a whole, then I’m fully onboard.

Posted by: DreamyAbaddon.3265

DreamyAbaddon.3265

I want SAB Available permanantly too! I want to play when I have time and when I’m in the mood. It doesnt make me get excited when I have real life obligations to deal with. SAB to me is a Game Mode not a festival. This content isn’t even really a festival to be honest… What are we exactly celebrating? SAB isn’t a “Joke” it’s a genuinly good game mode with it’s own sets of rules that follows. I would love to pay $15 for SAB to unlock the game mode permanantly as a DLC kinda like how we can purchase Living Story Season 2 and 3 as DLC story mode.

I dont care if you dont make W3 and W4… Just let me pay for W1 and W2 and play anytime I want… I will BUY IT… Take MY MONEY!!! >:( Throws Cash at the monitor

Posted by: Drakz.7051

Drakz.7051

I just want them to add world 3 like they should have done last year and didn’t and this year and still didn’t, but it feels more like they are leaving their seasonal events to stagnate (only adding a few new rewards) and don’t see it changing soon.

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Anet didn’t understand that the Occupy SAB riots was a huge chance for them to show they cared and are listening to the community.

Instead they took it as an insult. Another company like Blizzard would have jumped on that opportunity and give us more than we asked for (example make a SAB DLC with different modes including competitive areas), which is why they have so much success.

When people are telling you “take my money” you should understand that you have a good idea in your hands.

(edited by Xillllix.3485)

Amaimon.7823

Anet didn’t understand that the Occupy SAB riots was a huge chance for them to show they cared and are listening to the community.

Instead they took it as an insult. Another company like Blizzard would have jumped on that opportunity and give us more than we asked for (example make a SAB DLC with different modes including competitive areas), which is why they have so much success.

When people are telling you “take my money” you should understand that you have a good idea in your hands.

I think you’re giving blizzard more credit than they’re due here.
Don’t forget its not just an issue of not wanting to deliver, it’s also an issue of can you deliver even if you want to

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I’m not sure how adding SAB as permanent festival counts as “[taking] it as an insult.” (Besides that: how many people do you think actually participated in ‘Occupy SAB’?)

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

I’m not sure how Anet took the “riots” as an insult. I don’t even remember much of a response from the devs when it happened. Regardless, I think you’re overestimating just how many people 1) participated in the “riots”, 2) want to see SAB made permanent, and 3) would actually hand over real cash to buy it as a DLC or other cash item.

Odin the exiled.5764

They have plenty of time to add things to sab. It’s not like we’re asking for ALL of it to be finished in a day. Just like when it first came out, World 1 was in april, later that year in september for the back to school they made world 2. Then it’s following year i believe was trib mode. So they have no excuse not to make world 3, then following year add trib mode for it. Then world 4 the year after and trib mode for it the year after that.

Also sab played a “very small role” in season 3 of living world, so whose to say it couldnt play another role lol.

And look at it this way, they can spend their “resources” on making sab gathering tools, more mini’s, gliders. So why not spend a little bit on their festivals. Even halloween and wintersday could get a bit more love in that deptarment. Just one new thing in them would be nice. Like back in gw1, they always at least made different hats for us to collect lol.

Posted by: castlemanic.3198

castlemanic.3198

They have plenty of time to add things to sab. It’s not like we’re asking for ALL of it to be finished in a day. Just like when it first came out, World 1 was in april, later that year in september for the back to school they made world 2. Then it’s following year i believe was trib mode. So they have no excuse not to make world 3, then following year add trib mode for it. Then world 4 the year after and trib mode for it the year after that.

Also sab played a “very small role” in season 3 of living world, so whose to say it couldnt play another role lol.

And look at it this way, they can spend their “resources” on making sab gathering tools, more mini’s, gliders. So why not spend a little bit on their festivals. Even halloween and wintersday could get a bit more love in that deptarment. Just one new thing in them would be nice. Like back in gw1, they always at least made different hats for us to collect lol.

They’ve made it very clear that to create another SAB world it would take 6-8 people 4-6 months to complete. Simply put they don’t have the resources to develop it anymore like they used to.

SAB played absolutely no role in Living World Season 3. That was Moto (the creator of SAB) and while he helped Taimi with her virtual reality battle simulator, he also replaced one of the models with a SAB like model. That is indeed the extreme definition of “a small role”. We’re currently dealing with the elder dragons, lazarus and the white mantle, we’re not dealing with a virtual reality world that has nothing to do with the elder dragons.

You apparently don’t know how development works (especially with your quoting of ‘resources’). The teams responsible for making the resource gatherers, the gliders and the minis are NOT the same teams as those who would create SAB worlds. They follow the same style as SAB, but that does not mean that they are FROM the SAB team.

Odin the exiled.5764

They have 49 weeks to create another world, so they can move 1-3 ppl over to it lol Plus like in my very first post, they could make other things with sab. Could even do a sab fractal or raid. And again they can even just do 1 zone a year for it, specially since we’re here for the long haul and will need something to do while we wait for gw3.

And to be honest who cares if they have a different team making items for gemstore vs content. Resources are resources afterall.

AliamRationem.5172

I prefer to leave it up to ANet when it comes to where to allocate resources. Speculation is useless because I, like the rest of you, don’t work for ANet.

All I can do is tell them what I’d like to see and what I’d be willing to pay for. SAB is definitely high on the list for me. I didn’t enjoy HoT adventure games at all, but for some reason I really enjoyed SAB. I would absolutely pay to see more worlds, and more achievements, titles, and rewards. And I’ve already put my money where my mouth is by purchasing the super cloud glider, super mini trio, and the super adventure pack.

So here’s hoping we see more worlds next year. And if we need to put some gems/cash down to make that happen, I consider it well worth the cost. It may not have any relevance to the story, but it’s a very GW2 thing in my mind, by virtue of being exactly the sort of thing you don’t expect to find in an MMO!

castlemanic.3198

They have 49 weeks to create another world, so they can move 1-3 ppl over to it lol Plus like in my very first post, they could make other things with sab. Could even do a sab fractal or raid. And again they can even just do 1 zone a year for it, specially since we’re here for the long haul and will need something to do while we wait for gw3.

Except you need a team to be able to create anything like SAB, simply moving 1-3 people onto SAB for 49 weeks won’t do the trick. It’s like construction, not everyone knows how to work the cranes, some are experts with cement, others know how to do the electric wiring. Sure it’s possible to have a single person do all of that, but it would take significantly longer AND require an extremely large amount of knowledge for a single person to accomplish, and teamwork definitely helps especially in cases like programming, because you have another perspective where someone can help you figure out how to fix something or do it more efficiently. So simply shifting 1-3 people onto SAB for 49 weeks is not the same as having 6-8 people working on SAB for 4-6 months.

I don’t see lorewise how an SAB fractal will work, considering that fractals deal with the history of Tyria. Also fractals are a completely different type of content than SAB. Same with raids btw (the different type of content thing, not the history of the world thing), so those arguments don’t really work no matter how much you wish them to work.

I havent played SAB so I dont know how the structure of worlds vs zones are, but I’d assume that there’s some form of linearity between zones of the same world, making it more difficult to accomplish if it’s made one zone at a time. A member of the SAB team would know better though so I can’t really make a argument for or against this case.

Also why the GW3 argument? We know they’re working on an expansion, so GW3 doesn’t make sense.

And to be honest who cares if they have a different team making items for gemstore vs content. Resources are resources afterall.

Anet cares, certainly, and that’s because different teams have different specialties. It’s not simply a case of “resources are resources afterall”, it’s a case of people knowing how to do a certain type of thing. That’s like saying “athletes are athletes, why cant they do any sport?” because they’re trained in specific sports. A professional basketball player cannot in a single day turn into a professional football player (american or european, works either way) by the merit of being an athlete. So no, resources are not simply resources.

Odin the exiled.5764

for fractals it doesnt really have to fit in, afterall chaos doesn’t. Just a mishmash of fractals, even the one mistlock blur’s things together, sure it’s to make them harder. So it would be easy for moto to go monkey with the machine.

Structure of sab is basically each world has 3 zones with the last zone having some type of boss. They have a similar theme in those zones within that world. But in reality all look different

As for the gw3 comment, obviously the xpansions to finish the dragons would come first, but they will always have a delay b4 their next thing. Much like in gw1 they made Winds of change and whatever the other one was. To tie us the players over while we waited for gw2 since they knew it would be years and was taking them longer then expected to come out and they also added in outfits for us to buy, to help pay for the development of gw2. That’s what was meant by waiting for gw3. That they’ll always make content to tie ppl over. So why not slowly but surely finish the stories they already have in the game, even if it’s just a mini game being sab. 1 zone at a time would be perfectly fine with the sab lovers.

castlemanic.3198

for fractals it doesnt really have to fit in, afterall chaos doesn’t. Just a mishmash of fractals, even the one mistlock blur’s things together, sure it’s to make them harder. So it would be easy for moto to go monkey with the machine.

Except SAB is a virtual reality where as the fractals tap into the mists directly. You still have a lore discrepancy to get over for there to be a SAB fractal.

Structure of sab is basically each world has 3 zones with the last zone having some type of boss. They have a similar theme in those zones within that world. But in reality all look different

Well alright then.

As for the gw3 comment, obviously the xpansions to finish the dragons would come first, but they will always have a delay b4 their next thing. Much like in gw1 they made Winds of change and whatever the other one was. To tie us the players over while we waited for gw2 since they knew it would be years and was taking them longer then expected to come out and they also added in outfits for us to buy, to help pay for the development of gw2. That’s what was meant by waiting for gw3. That they’ll always make content to tie ppl over. So why not slowly but surely finish the stories they already have in the game, even if it’s just a mini game being sab. 1 zone at a time would be perfectly fine with the sab lovers.

But GW2 is much more than simply being about the elder dragons. There’s political intrigue, the charr/human relations issue, flame legion, sons of svanir, nightmare court, seperatists, the charr rebels, the inquest, white mantle, bandits and that’s not even covering Elona, Cantha and possibly other lands to discover and explore alongside the depths of tyria and the oceans too. So really the GW3 comment still doesn’t make sense to me. Also again it comes back down to resources, they had the resources available to make Guild Wars Beyond during the development of GW2. They’ve stated that they don’t have the resources to make SAB right now. Even if we were to take te argument of they could release one zone a year, that’s still 6-8 people doing SAB for 1.33-2 months when those resources could have been used to create more permanent content quicker and/or more efficiently. If Anet had a Blizzard sized budget and number of developers, this would be a reasonable request. As it is however, Anet have stated that they simply don’t have the resources for it currently.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

It would be nice is programming and game design worked like that.

Regardless, though, you’re still presuming that ANet should want to prioritize SAB over other types of content. Even moving 1-3 people on SAB means 1-3 people less working on something else. Do you know what that something else is? What other QoL or content changes (or bug fixes) are waiting for those 1-3 people to finish their part of the design/code?

There’s not a single player who wouldn’t enjoy more content in the game. The problem for ANet is that we enjoy different sorts of content with varying degrees of passion. They can’t possibly meet half our demands, let alone cater to one set of preferences.

And, for what it’s worth, SAB is designed in the style of a traditional platforming game. It seems unlikely that ANet would want to emphasize something that doesn’t much integrate with the rest of the game at the expense of Living Story or Raids or Fractals or Current Events. Perhaps folks who want that sort of thing for more than 20 days/year might want to tide themselves over by finding emulators for the older games, modern versions of Zelda & Mario, and various phone games.

Rauderi.8706

Devil’s Advocate:

Devil’s Prosecutor:
Raids are permanent content, and SAB is only available 3 weeks a year. Wasting resources on something that’s only available for a short time a year is fine, but it should never come at the cost of the main content. People love it, that is no discussion, but people tend to forget SAB is just a mini game, while raids are a part of the vibrant and “real” world

Festivals are bridge content. Do it a bunch, then wistfully wait for it again for next year, hopefully to see some changes. If there aren’t changes, oh well, it’s festival content, so it won’t be around that long, anyway.

Raids are “do it now and beat it in the first week then be a d-kitten to everyone who wants to get into it because Six forbid that raid you’re 6-manning takes along 4 more people who could know what they’re doing because you’ve been grinding it for months because that’s all there is to it is more grinding but it’s available all year so that makes it okay?” If not for the LI-grind and the exploitation of selling the content, raids would be abandoned after the first month of their release.

Many alts; handle it!

Amaimon.7823

Devil’s Advocate:

Devil’s Prosecutor:

Festivals are bridge content. Do it a bunch, then wistfully wait for it again for next year, hopefully to see some changes. If there aren’t changes, oh well, it’s festival content, so it won’t be around that long, anyway.

Raids are “do it now and beat it in the first week then be a d-kitten to everyone who wants to get into it because Six forbid that raid you’re 6-manning takes along 4 more people who could know what they’re doing because you’ve been grinding it for months because that’s all there is to it is more grinding but it’s available all year so that makes it okay?” If not for the LI-grind and the exploitation of selling the content, raids would be abandoned after the first month of their release.

you.. eh.. okay there buddy? sounds like you had a rough week. Maybe you should find a group of people who enjoy doing raids, instead of pugging it with no LI