Guildwars2 wins Massively Best Expansion 2013

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: DeathMetal.8264

DeathMetal.8264

Edit:
I can’t fit the full title, limited to 45 chars max. It should read:
Guildwars2 wins Massively Best Expansion/Update 2013

== Orig Post Below ==

A bit related to my other posting (https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Guildwars-2-wins-TenTonHammer-Best-MMO-2013), but this time, from Massively. Massively also has best NEW MMO for 2013, and other categories. But for Expansion, GW2 gets the crown.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/12/19/massivelys-best-of-2013-awards/

Best Expansion or Update of 2013: Guild Wars 2’s Super Adventure Box
Runners-up: Tie between EVE Online’s Odyssey, EVE Online’s Rubicon, and Star Trek Online’s
Legacy of Romulus

Richie: Guild Wars 2’s Super Adventure Box patch stands out in such a profound way because many players thought it was nothing more than an April Fools’ Joke. The official website was updated with amazing images from an 8-bit world accompanied by a hilarious, cheesy, ’80s-style commercial. When I logged into the game and realized that SAB was really in the game, my jaw hit my desk. There were three full levels of this 8-bit world complete with secrets, puzzles, boss battles, original music score, and custom sound effects — a full platforming adventure game neatly tucked inside of my MMO.

Attachments:

Lv80 Thief |Mesmer |Necromancer|Ranger|Guardian|Warrior|Elementalist|Engineer
[Aeon of Wonder]
Maguuma Server

(edited by DeathMetal.8264)

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I have to agree with that one. A lot of work went into the SAB patch(es), and is very deserving of recognition.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

Grats GW2, can’t say I agree with it at all, as that was my least favorite LS update, but to each their own and I’m glad Anet is getting some recognition for something

If it had been permanent, I could see this being more deserved. Hint Anet. But I don’t think 2-3 weeks of temporary anything should be considered or even measured against a full fledged expansion. It’s like comparing a Pinto to a Ferrari and saying the Pinto is better because it’s old school.

Grats again Anet on all your awards so far

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

(edited by Aeonblade.8709)

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

That’s kind of funny since SAB really isn’t GW2 play but an add on game that is temporary. Last time I checked I can’t play SAB at the moment so I don’t really see it as an expansion. Toss in it had a lot of bugs.

The Burninator

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Well, the category is ‘expansion or update’ and it doesn’t specify that it has to be perm.

JustTrogdor.7892

Well, the category is ‘expansion or update’ and it doesn’t specify that it has to be perm.

Either way I find it odd that the most highly acclaimed GW2 ‘update’ isn’t really GW2 but an 8bit side game. I’ll dig up my NES if I want to play those types of games.

The Burninator

Aeonblade.8709

Either way I find it odd that the most highly acclaimed GW2 ‘update’ isn’t really GW2 but an 8bit side game. I’ll dig up my NES if I want to play those types of games.

While I agree with what you are saying, this is a win either way for GW2. It gets some recognition, helps seal the deal of SAB’s return for those who do enjoy it.

All we have to do is not play it if we don’t enjoy it, and let the people who do enjoy it have fun.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

shrug

All rewards are opinion based. You don’t necessarily have to agree. Its just like critics and movies. The critics give it a C, you go see it, like it, to you it gets an A.

Posted by: Peetee.9406

Peetee.9406

SAB World 1 Zones 1,2 were amazing. I’ll always have good memories from those. Well deserved!

Kayku
[CDS] Caedas
Sanctum of Rall

Aeonblade.8709

shrug

All rewards are opinion based. You don’t necessarily have to agree. Its just like critics and movies. The critics give it a C, you go see it, like it, to you it gets an A.

cough Pacific Rim best movie ever cough cough

(A good example, didn’t do well in theaters or reviews, but I loved that movie.)

JustTrogdor.7892

shrug

And my opinion is I would have rather seen GW2 recognized for adding something more permanent that actually was GW2 play and not a temporary 8bit side game. If I had a vote in it I would have said it was the addition of the wallet system. Kind of sad but true.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

Kind of odd. Gw2 was also massively’s runner up for the most disappointing game with its living story.

Aeonblade.8709

Kind of odd. Gw2 was also massively’s runner up for the most disappointing game with its living story.

Well we all knew how people felt about the LS on the whole, but there were a few gems mixed in with the coal this past year

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

No, the living story was a nominated for Biggest Disappointment in 2013, along with a slew of other games and trends.

GW2 also was also nominated for biggest blunder for their PR campaigns and nominated for best trends (whatever they mean by cadence, maybe the twice a month updates).

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

shrug

And my opinion is I would have rather seen GW2 recognized for adding something more permanent that actually was GW2 play and not a temporary 8bit side game. If I had a vote in it I would have said it was the addition of the wallet system. Kind of sad but true.

And I would have panned the wallet. One person’s opinion is always going to be another’s WTF!

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

Expansion? What expansion? I’m playing the game and I dont see it anywhere. Should I contact the support team?

Aeonblade.8709

Expansion? What expansion? I’m playing the game and I dont see it anywhere. Should I contact the support team?

Haha to true, I’m hoping this temporary stuff is balanced with permanent updates next year.

JustTrogdor.7892

shrug

And I would have panned the wallet. One person’s opinion is always going to be another’s WTF!

At least the wallet is permanent. When was the last time you got to play SAB?

Actually, thinking back if I had a vote it would have been Bazaar of the Four Winds since we are talking updates and apparently not permanent content updates. It came with a new map, ability to trade in stacks of low level mats for skin tokens, DEs in the map, champion fights, all sorts of fun skills to zip around the map and explore, and a now permanent mini game. It was the most well developed temporary update I have seen.

The Burninator

zenleto.6179

shrug

Actually, thinking back if I had a vote it would have been Bazaar of the Four Winds since we are talking updates and apparently not permanent content updates. It came with a new map, ability to trade in stacks of low level mats for skin tokens, DEs in the map, champion fights, all sorts of fun skills to zip around the map and explore, and a now permanent mini game. It was the most well developed temporary update I have seen.

Not since April, though my Asura ranger is loving his bow skins.

Absolutely agree on the Bazaar. Single best update in my opinion and I can’t wait for it to come back.

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

Congrats to arenanet/gw2, but I mean…do you need multiple topics for this?

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

shrug

Absolutely agree on the Bazaar. Single best update in my opinion and I can’t wait for it to come back.

Fractured! was mine, to be honest. Got me into fractals again, if even just a little.

Bazaar was OK. The thing I hated about bazaar and most of the other updates was the amount of achievements…just stupid really. It seems arenanet is learning that we dont want 18 achievements with multiple tiers to grind out, so maybe the CDI had some impact? Id like to think so and hope the trend of minimal achievements continues.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Posted by: Majic.4801

Majic.4801

You know, if they bring back these “expansions” we can’t play anymore, they might be able to win this exact same award with the exact same expansions in 2014.

Well played, ArenaNet.

Well played.

“Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside.
Always follow what is true.” — Sentry-skritt Bordekka

zenleto.6179

shrug

Fractured! was mine, to be honest. Got me into fractals again, if even just a little.

Bazaar was OK. The thing I hated about bazaar and most of the other updates was the amount of achievements…just stupid really. It seems arenanet is learning that we dont want 18 achievements with multiple tiers to grind out, so maybe the CDI had some impact? Id like to think so and hope the trend of minimal achievements continues.

I can’t stand the thought of jumping into an instance with a bunch of strangers anymore so I never touched Fractured!.

I didn’t mind the amount of achievements for the Bazaar. It felt like so much fun gathering them up, and it was relaxing in a stressful, gamey sort of way. But like I said, and as we all know, one person’s awesome is another’s pile o’crap.

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

Grats ArenaNet

Posted by: Zeldain.5710

Zeldain.5710

Not taking anything away from how cool SAB is, but it is definitely not an expansion. And if you look at the ridiculous selections across the board, it really has no credibility.

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

Not taking anything away from how cool SAB is, but it is definitely not an expansion. And if you look at the ridiculous selections across the board, it really has no credibility.

If you read the small print, it does say Xpac or Update.

As for the ‘ridiculous selections’, it’s all opinions. While it may hold no credibility with you, it may with others. I for one think PoE is a solid game, and EQNext is definitely highly anticipated.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: Protoavis.9107

Protoavis.9107

Massively has always seemed a bit…questionable. A lot of the articles seem paid for by gaming companies rather than genuine.

Let us buy vendor mats (eg spools of thread) in 250 stacks, end the excessive clicking.

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

I am happy to see Anet get some good marks for some of the great content they added in all the nitpicking over small parts of each updates is becoming boring to read from these forums.
I am also happy to see they are calling subs the Biggest Blunder for mmorpg its claimed one mmorpg before it has come out and may get another where EQ: next has no sub (that i know of) so its the next big things according to them. I hope the mmorpg community gets off this “if i pay more money for a game its got to be better” point of view.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

JustTrogdor.7892

I am happy to see Anet get some good marks for some of the great content they added in all the nitpicking over small parts of each updates is becoming boring to read from these forums.

Seriously what long term benefit did SAB add to GW2? How did it improve GW2 overall? Can you play SAB now? It was a side game. Nothing more. It may have been fun for many but it in no way improved the overall quality of GW2.

I’m sorry but for soemthing to be considered an award winning expansion/update it should have a long term affect on the game. I’d rather see Anet use their resources on something more meaningful than temporary 8 bit knockoff games that are not even GW2.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

How ironic that a game without expansions wins this price.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

yay SAB!

SAB SAB SAB…

Posted by: Melchior.2135

Melchior.2135

Let me get this straight. They gave a Best Expansion award to a game that hasn’t had any Expansions?

If SAB was a kittening expansion, please tell me how I can get into it when I log in tonight. Because as far as I can see,it got flushed down the content toilet after a month, just like every other crap in the Living Story. The fact that it may bob back to the surface from time to time doesn’t make it an Expansion.

Former Guild Wars 2 fan. RIP, ArenaNet’s integrity.

(edited by Melchior.2135)

Posted by: Thaladred.1406

Thaladred.1406

Best New MMO of 2013: Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Runners-up: Tie between Neverwinter and Defiance

While I never played FFXIV, had to laugh at what it competed against

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

If it had been permanent, I could see this being more deserved. Hint Anet.

I honestly can’t agree with this at all. SAB as permanent content would quickly become like everything else permanent in this game… abandoned with people crying they are “bored” with it.

It’s perfect as reoccurring content and should stay that way.

Honestly, the more I think about it, I don’t think there’s much of anything introduced in the Living Story that would be “better” as permanent content. I think players are more enamored with the comfort of content always being there, even if they’d have no interest in playing it if it was.

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Seriously what long term benefit did SAB add to GW2? How did it improve GW2 overall? Can you play SAB now? It was a side game. Nothing more. It may have been fun for many but it in no way improved the overall quality of GW2.

I’m sorry but for soemthing to be considered an award winning expansion/update it should have a long term affect on the game. I’d rather see Anet use their resources on something more meaningful than temporary 8 bit knockoff games that are not even GW2.

Jumping puzzles and how we like them made. Do not forget fighting is not the only way to play GW2 the jp are a major part of the game. It was a game with in a game in that it used GW2 tools to make pure jumping game combat was very 2ed in SAB.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

I have to agree with that one. A lot of work went into the SAB patch(es), and is very deserving of recognition.

rp mode on- meanwhile, in the real world… the brave soldiers of tyria, who risk their lives rescuing a world from mysticism and tyranny, go largely ignored by the gods.

rp mode off- it’s really nice to know that the 4 new teams hired to make ls content are getting some recognition. perhaps in 2014 there will be more than a handful of profession and combat developers and we will read about their accomplishments.

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

(edited by Swagger.1459)

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

Heh Star Trek would have gotten my vote here, they permanently added an entire new faction, new races, new ships, new zones, new story lines, updated their ui. How does a temporary couple zones update win over that? I guess Star trek needed to add a megaman zone in order to win this huh.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

As much as I like SAB getting the recognition it deserves. That competition line up was again pretty poor.

But the consolation is. If it wasn’t for SAB. Guild Wars 2 probably wouldn’t have received that award as the rest of the living story has been pretty poor and poorly received.

Posted by: CryxTryx.9208

CryxTryx.9208

I played the crap out of SAB, love it.

I am actually taking a break from guild wars right now. Not even the wintersday update was enough to bring me back.

If they released a surprise SAB patch tonight, I’d be calling in sick the next two days.

Posted by: Elbegast.6970

Elbegast.6970

I hated the SAB. I couldn’t get past the turtles at the falls in world 2-1. I tried for days and days.

CryxTryx.9208

I hated the SAB. I couldn’t get past the turtles at the falls in world 2-1. I tried for days and days.

Should have kept an eye on the forums. They ended up nerfing that part so that you could basically walk through it.

I don’t consider an update with a temporary mini game an expansion..

Heh Star Trek would have gotten my vote here, they permanently added an entire new faction, new races, new ships, new zones, new story lines, updated their ui. How does a temporary couple zones update win over that? I guess Star trek needed to add a megaman zone in order to win this huh.

Pretty much this.

~Sincerely, Scissors

CryxTryx.9208

Pretty much this.

Quality over quantitiy?

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

You know, if they bring back these “expansions” we can’t play anymore, they might be able to win this exact same award with the exact same expansions in 2014.

I was just thinking the same thing.

If Darksouls 2, Elder Scrolls Online, Wildstar, Warlords of Draenor, Destiny and The Division turn out to be crap, maybe GW2 can win again with recycled content.

Pretty much this.

Quality over quantitiy?

This isn’t about the quality of sab (which is subjective to begin with). This is about a temporary mini game not being worthy of being called an Expansion. Eye of the North, now that was an expansion.

~Sincerely, Scissors

CryxTryx.9208

Pretty much this.

Quality over quantitiy?

This isn’t about the quality of sab (which is subjective to begin with). This is about a temporary mini game not being worthy of being called an Expansion. Eye of the North, now that was an expansion.

Well I hate to bring the bearer of bad news but the whole award process is subjective, and your opinion of SAB is no less subjective then my opinion of it.

So lets get pointing out that all of our opinions here are subjective.

SAB is reoccuring. So sure you can call that temporary, because it is not available all the time, but it is not gone for good. It comes back, and each time it does it comes back bigger and better.

The rewards it adds to the game, achievment points, titles, skins and minis are permanent. Considering that horizontal progression is suppose to be the name of the game here, that is considered content for many players.

With the introduction of Tribulation mode there was a new teir of skins which I very much enjoyed aquiring.

All subjective opinions and preference? Absolutely.

All that being said. Who are these guys anyway? No awards have been ‘won’. From what I can tell this is just a single websites review.

They list no criteria for these categories. I wouldn’t get to upset if you don’t agree with these reviews I don’t see their subjective opinions being worth any more then any of ours.

(edited by CryxTryx.9208)

Pretty much this.

Quality over quantitiy?

Well I hate to bring the bearer of bad news but the whole award process is subjective, and your opinion of SAB is no less subjective then my opinion of it.

SAB is reoccuring. So sure you can call that temporary, because it is not available all the time, but it is not gone for good. It comes back, and each time it does it comes back bigger and better.

The rewards it adds to the game, achievment points, titles, skins and minis are permanent. Considering that horizontal progression is suppose to be the name of the game here, that is considered content for many players.

With the introduction of Tribulation mode there was a new teir of skins which I very much enjoyed aquiring.

All that being said. Who are these guys anyway? No awards have been ‘won’. From what I can tell this is just a single websites review.

They list no criteria for these categories. I wouldn’t get to upset if you don’t agree with these reviews I don’t see their subjective opinions being worth any more then any of ours.

Well then in my opinion, an expansion does not involve a mini game that’s only available when the devs want it to be. An expansion (to me) is new zones, story, professions, skills, weapons etc. But that’s just how archaic my thinking is..

~Sincerely, Scissors

(edited by Windu The Forbidden One.6045)

CryxTryx.9208

Pretty much this.

Quality over quantitiy?

Well then in my opinion, an expansion does not involve a mini game that’s only available when the devs want it to be. An expansion is new zones, story, professions, skills, weapons etc. But that’s just how archaic my thinking is..

I would tend to agree with you. As others have mentioned, there were pretty slim pickings in this category to begin with.

The Star Trek expansion was mentioned but again, the reveiwer may simply have not enjoyed or even played it to begin with.

Personally I didn’t even know there was a Star Trek mmo..

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

For me, SAB gets my thumbs up not because of what it played like, because frankly, I would boot up my old N64 for a platformer with low polygon count and very basic game mechanics.

What was amazing about it was the principles behind it. You get the achievements and loot from pulling your kitten through the content and actually doing challenging stuff instead of repeatedly press F or hoping the RNG gods would smile on you.

And tribulation mode was kitten ed tough. So when you get that skin from it, it isn’t like dungeon skins where you just go ‘oh, another set to my collection’, you felt amazing about it, and others will congratulate you and respect that achievement because it was hard, and there was no back doors like buying a path for it.

We need that to translate into the ‘actual’ game.