Gwynefyrdd, the Halloween miniature

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Aerinndis.2730

Aerinndis.2730

At this point, the only option for those of us who are at tens of thousands of bags opened with no result is simple. Write an actual support ticket. Make ANet spend time and money dealing with this bull. Ive lost almost 2,000g trying to get this mini and have less to show for it than before I started farming. Before halloween I was so excited for this content to come back, but now I just want to quit playing entirely. Their RNG system at its core is garbage and until it gets reworked this kind of situation will not stop. I’m a hypocrite though as I still sit here on the last day farming, buying, and opening more freakin bags just like they want.

I agree the RNG is beyond sucky but no one is forcing anyone to spend anything on bags – that is a personal decision to do that. I think everyone is frustrated with this and the event has only amplified an ongoing issue and reactions to it.

I chose to just farm through this event as did hubby. I got the cat in the first 500 bags. One endless tonic somewhere in the 2k bags and several runes which I gave the duplicates to hubby. I am somewhere in the area of 5k bags opened now…. Hubby on the other hand has gotten nada. No cat, no dog, no tonic. He also did not farm as long as I did. He earned enough corn cobs to just buy the danged cat. Between us out of all the bags we got I don’t think we got 200 wrappers either.

Do I have less than I started the event with? No. I sold what I could, salvaged what I could and even got 3 exotics out of the labyrinth. Will I get a weapon skin – probably not especially if your chances are more based with how many you turn in. Do I care? Not really. I do admit to experiencing a rising frustration level as I opened bag after bag to TP, eggs, Custard etc. ad nauseum for stuff I will either trash or try to sell on a flooded market. For folk that these things matter it has to be horrible which is not a nice way to spend an event.

This whole thing strikes me as such a Pavlov’s dog thing. Ring a bell and everyone starts salivating. You see it with telephones, lol. One rings and watch folk kill themselves to answer it. No one says you HAVE to answer that phone or buy that bag but you do feel compelled to. If this event was designed to have this reaction then I would say it was a big success for ANet.

I think u are missing the point, from wat u saying I presume u are not a mini collector, or at least not a proper mini collector that collect every single mini, so ofc u wouldnt care less if u get the mini dog or not, but for the rest of us in this thread, we have collected pretty much every mini up till now, which is why not being able to collect this particular mini is so extremely frustrating, this mini wouldnt mean a thing to u, but for us it means completing our set of collection.

Trust me, I do understand and sympathize. I am not a mini collector but what I am saying is the circumstances of this event are playing on the frustrations and probable predictable actions (buying lots of bags) as a result of those frustrations by those who do. A brilliant psychological move by ANet I am thinking. All of us are affected by it even if the wolf was not our goal. They stuck a carrot out and we ran for it.

Posted by: Megis.9264

Megis.9264

If they wanted players to never spend another dime on gems, they’ve done a kitten good job.

Posted by: PiTheMathGod.3742

PiTheMathGod.3742

I mentioned this earlier, but I have high doubts it is 1 in 20,000 odds. If that were the case, then we have the following probabilities:

P(getting mini) = 0.00005
P(not getting mini) = 0.99995
P(not getting mini in 156k tries) = (0.99995)^(156,000) = 0.00041 = 0.041%
P(getting mini in 156k tries) = 99.959%

So either I hit the reverse lottery (well let’s face it, I probably would :p), or the odds are not 1 in 20,000. I think a more likely scenario is 1 in 100,000, in which case a repeat of the above calculation for 156k tries gives a 79% chance. This thread shows a few people opening more than 100k bags and not getting the mini, so I think this is more than likely.

I would be interested in knowing how the wiki got that figure, but I just have high doubts about it.

Posted by: Soinetwa.5193

Soinetwa.5193

yeah giving one Gwynefyrdd for everyone who has given more than 250candy wrappers would be fine
but i doubt theyll do it >_<

more than 80k opened for me and nothing..
dont we love this rng?
btw i had one zuzu…
one!!
no gwey..
nothing but mf
i mean i like magic find but…
its getting ridiculous… -.-

Posted by: Kamikae.9536

Kamikae.9536

So I’m sure many people here will bite my head off for saying this but I believe Gwynefyrdd is a great thing for the majority of the player base. When you calculate how much wealth has been transferred from the trades of ToT bags I think it provided a valuable service for the economy. The ghastly low drop rate of a very appealing collectable that is account bound has led to the wealthy spending exorbitant amounts of gold to get the bugger. Since bags are super easy to farm in bulk most players can earn a few gold an hour running around in the labyrinth. I believe more “redistribution of wealth” items should exist, since the majority of players will benefit from the increased earning potential. Just my two cents on it.

rMBP 15-inch, Late 2013 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

Posted by: Soinetwa.5193

Soinetwa.5193

I mentioned this earlier, but I have high doubts it is 1 in 20,000 odds. If that were the case, then we have the following probabilities:

P(getting mini) = 0.00005
P(not getting mini) = 0.99995
P(not getting mini in 156k tries) = (0.99995)^(156,000) = 0.00041 = 0.041%
P(getting mini in 156k tries) = 99.959%

So either I hit the reverse lottery (well let’s face it, I probably would :p), or the odds are not 1 in 20,000. I think a more likely scenario is 1 in 100,000, in which case a repeat of the above calculation for 156k tries gives a 79% chance. This thread shows a few people opening more than 100k bags and not getting the mini, so I think this is more than likely.

I would be interested in knowing how the wiki got that figure, but I just have high doubts about it.

your math is right(i think.. too late to do the math on my own..) but..
just because there are not that many players who opened 100k + bags and got one do write here because those who get the mini
usually are happy and keep quiet
whilst if we others dont get it
we go whining on the forums (yeah including me …)

i think the 1 : 20k calculation is not too far off
i could imagine that it is impossible for some accounts to get it.. dont ask me why but a lot of strange things did happen in the past as well..
(fixing fractal high level rewards several times so that the correct chances occur…. for example..)
or the other thing i could imagine is that we just are… reallly.. reallly..really unlucky
and the chance my be about 1 : 25000 or 1 : 30000 (about that size..)
but not tooo far off

surely what wiki calculated could just be reallly lucky as well so…
who knows
1 : 100 000 may be right as well..

@anet… please tell me why?.. srsly… >___>

Posted by: Klonex.4562

Klonex.4562

i didn’t even bother, with how rng is in this game… i just opened whatever i did while doing the maze. i turned in 5 tickets and that’s was pretty much everything.

~Krystal <3 Angela ~
~ I taught cows how to Moo! ~

Posted by: OmniPotentes.4817

OmniPotentes.4817

It wouldn’t surprise me if they pulled the same thing they did last year a month from now, which is spend $50 in the gem store and get yourself a free mini Gwynewatchamacallit. And most would bite.

This turned out to be a brilliant money sink, and kept people logging in over the entire Halloween event with no added content whatsoever.

I didn’t bite fortunately. In total I only farmed and opened about 2,5k bags, and I got myself an endless batwing tonic. Haven’t logged in since Thursday.

(edited by OmniPotentes.4817)

Posted by: Aerinndis.2730

Aerinndis.2730

It wouldn’t surprise me if they pulled the same thing they did last year a month from now, which is spend $50 in the gem store and get yourself a free mini Gwynewatchamacallit. And most would bite.

This turned out to be a brilliant money sink, and kept people logging in over the entire Halloween event with no added content whatsoever.

I didn’t bite fortunately. In total I only farmed and opened about 2,5k bags, and I got myself an endless batwing tonic. Haven’t logged in since Thursday.

Do they have a psychologist on staff? This could be one heck of a doctorate paper for someone, lol….. We be lab rats!

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Despite being a miniature collector I didnt even open 1k ToT bags in total if I had to guess. I am not going to gamble away thousands of gold for a slim chance on an account bound mini. I will just vote with my wallet and dont buy the gemstore minis anymore.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Posted by: Kronos.3695

Kronos.3695

Despite being a miniature collector I didnt even open 1k ToT bags in total if I had to guess. I am not going to gamble away thousands of gold for a slim chance on an account bound mini. I will just vote with my wallet and dont buy the gemstore minis anymore.

We’re two. I’ve simply opened about 10k bags (all farmed) and stopped when I’ve got enough cobs to get 20 slot bags for many chars.

I don’t think I’m going to buy anymore anything from the gemstore with real money, and my minipet collection will be stucked at 270/273.

Thanks ArenaNet for letting me hate one of the few things I was still loving of the game.

Now please, ruin achievements too.

Signed: one of maybe your most active players.

Kronos Ledaloth, Leader of Bloodstone Keepers [BloS] - Far Shiverpeaks (EU)

YouTube Channel

(edited by Kronos.3695)

Malediktus.9250

They already ruined achievements with black lion collections

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

? Can you elaborate?

I still feel that if Gwynefyrdd were tradable, it would solve so many of these complaints. We have the ability to farm the ToT bags all year round thanks to the Maize Balm, so with a guaranteed supply, and the ability to trade the mini, players could at least have the knowledge that they CAN eventually get the mini, even though the price might be atrocious. They have a tangible goal to work towards, rather than just gambling everything away and hoping against hope.

Posted by: Paradox.1380

Paradox.1380

Welp, I played every moment I could spare in Lab, and bought countless stacks of ToT bags. I am having to be done with halloween event since I must sleep soon and then by the time I am able to play tomorrow Event will be gone. in that time I got 1 ZuZu, Some Pillows and 1 Endless Halloween Tonic. No Puppy, and no other unique reward. I am sad but mostly because I tried so kitten

the plus side every one of my alts now has 100 slots of inventory space and once I stopped buying more bags like the first week I was able to outfit my newest alt with all the Corrupted Weapons, and a nice set of gear from the money I made. Not an entire loss, but I really would have loved Gwyn. =(

-It’s Lady Paradox- Sweet Adrenaline
“What Part Of Living Says You Gotta Die?
I Plan On Burnin Through Another 9 Lives”

Posted by: ErikLeifsen.8421

ErikLeifsen.8421

? Can you elaborate?

I still feel that if Gwynefyrdd were tradable, it would solve so many of these complaints. We have the ability to farm the ToT bags all year round thanks to the Maize Balm, so with a guaranteed supply, and the ability to trade the mini, players could at least have the knowledge that they CAN eventually get the mini, even though the price might be atrocious. They have a tangible goal to work towards, rather than just gambling everything away and hoping against hope.

If it were tradeable this thread would not exist. That’s the entire problem. Account bound items should be from things you can work for yourself like ascended/legendary gear. Making Gwyn bound would be as stupid as making pre’s account bound. That’s the bottom line. If they only wanted to redistribute wealth having her tradeable would have had the same effect. 400g on a mini via the tradepost would still have put a literal boatload of gold into the hands of the lucky few and some of us idiots would still have been buying bags trying to get her to drop.
I just hate that I busted my kitten for 2 weeks working 20x harder than 99% of the population and have jack kitten to show for it. Yay now I’m broke and I missed all the gem store skins and minis because my gold was squandered on something that has a nearly 100% failure rate.
FYI: From an ANet employee – the real profit from the gem store doesn’t come from gem to gold conversions, but actual gems spent, so they seriously boned themselves with this. The money they make on gems comes from people actually wanting stuff bought with gems, but they effectively killed the entire supply of gold that keeps gem-to-gold transactions going. They nerfed their own gem store sales by making us waste gold on bags that end up making people ragequit the game for extended periods of time. I adore living story and even I’m not sure if I’m going to play the new content this week just because I’m so mad.

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

ErikLeifsen makes very valid points. I sincerely hope ANet makes the puppy available as either a gift this Wintersday or buyable next Halloween.

Sadly, I don’t think most players will have the patience to wait for next Halloween.

That maize loophole isn’t going to cut it.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: Jaggedrain.6923

Jaggedrain.6923

Event’s almost over and no mini.

I’m going to go spend a couple of gold on ToT bags (so far I’ve just been farming like a mad thing) and if I don’t get it, so be it. I only really want it because it looks like Classified from Penguins of Madagascar and would give me a giggle.

ETA: nope. lots and lots of luck though, ironically enough…

(edited by Jaggedrain.6923)

Posted by: Mistress Elemental.3750

Mistress Elemental.3750

Well, with the event coming to an end, and me having no more money, I am left with having opened 280,000+ ToT bags. These last two weeks have made me feel sick to my stomach.

The ONLY bright side is I got:
4,000+ Shiny Foil Candy Wrappers turned in
Maxed my magic find(With an extra 17% that does not count)
2 x Oontz’s Necklace of the Cat
1 x Oontz’s Necklace of the Ghoul
1 x Oontz’s Necklace of the Pumpkin
34 x Mini Zuzu, Cat of Darkness

…and lets not forget:
NO MINI GWYNEFYRDD……….

I would trade EVERYTHING for the mini (I basically have) but noooooo, it has to be account bound and have a .0000001% chance of dropping. Thanks again for fun event Anet! Cant wait till Christmas when I have to give a kidney for slim chance in hell for another rare mini.

(edited by Mistress Elemental.3750)

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

This one mini turned what was supposed to be a fun Halloween event into one big grind. And what do I have to show for it? Nothing.

Thats what they do nearly every holiday/patch. Prince the second halloween and the three needed to make Festivoo(?) from gemstore boxes for Wintersday.
Normal patch I can see putting some grind in it, but holidays are supposed to be fun. Yet Anet always makes the holidays a kittening chore/job. They just won’t listen to us. Each holiday theres complaints about the grind/rng, yet each new holiday they keep putting the same (if not more, like this year) grinding in due to stupid low rng drop rates.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Megis.9264

Yeah, had to buy 70 mysterious boxes the first wintersday to complete that mini collection, but that was nowhere near as agonizing as the ToT bags, this Halloween.
At least the prince mini last year was something you could work towards, and make actual progress, gathering the cobs, this is just endless clicking and hoping the stars miraculously align.

Posted by: johnkolbert.5186

johnkolbert.5186

Absolutely worst RNG ever, I am disgusted by what a terrible decision it was to make this mini so awfully rare. I do not collect minis but have several friends who are and they will not be able to complete their collection even after spending thousands of gold.
Anet You absolutely need to play your own kitten content and you will quickly realize that the drop rate for this in unrealistic and you need to change is asap.

Shame on you for not realizing this on your own.

Megis.9264

No mini, no skin from all the wrappers, just the biggest waste of a grind, in any game, ever.

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

It’s funny to think of how many people complained about mini polar bear. I’ve even seen it brought up on these forums to justify the RNG of GW2. It’s funny because the polar bear was sooo sooo much easier to get than this miniature. The difference is huge.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I didn’t get one either.

But when I ran out of gold to buy them and time to farm them I did have 250 Maize Balm – exactly the amount I was planning to save for farming bags later on. I think the game is trying to tell me something…

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: AlienMenace.7516

AlienMenace.7516

I just wanted to post my experience with Mini Gwynefyrdd and RNG here.

This post is relevant to the topic of the Mini Gwynefyrdd, because my issue is with obtaining the mini.

Almost every day during the recent two-week Halloween event, I farmed the Labyrinth until I had at minimum 1-2 complete stacks of Trick-or-Treat bags. Every day I opened them, I hoped to see the Mini Gwynefyrdd’s cute puppy face staring back at me from my inventory. Every day, I was disappointed to find I had failed in accomplishing my personal goal of having the mini.

The problem is that this mini is both 1) account-bound; and 2) very rare and completely RNG-based.

I have heard of some users getting multiples of the mini when they might not have even wanted the first one they got. Meanwhile, many other users (myself included) worked hard daily to try to get the mini, but no amount of effort was sufficient.

I have no gripe with “hard” or “challenging” content (got my Mini Liadri the right way and feel pretty good about that), but this is just a matter of facing astronomical odds with no end in sight.

“The next bag could be the one with Mini Gwynefyrdd in it” can only entice a person for so long before it simply seems hopeless.

I’m not saying I expect or feel entitled to a Mini Gwynefyrdd. I’m only letting the team know that my interaction with the system of trying to get one was not fun and wound up very disappointing even after a whole lot of work on my part.

(and no, I didn’t get any of the other valuable items out of the Trick-or-Treat bags either, so I didn’t really end up that well off from having done this).

I had my eye on one item. The Mini Gwynefyrdd. And I was not able to obtain it. The process was not fun for me.

It is an account-bound unlock so there isn’t the same level of concern there would be if the mini was sellable, and there isn’t another way to get it other than Trick-or-Treat bags.

…just adding my voice to the choir of people who think the RNG is getting a bit too harsh and taking the fun out of things like this…

Megis.9264

This mini compares more to Gaile’s own little Frog minis, than it does the ‘elusive’ polar bear mini. No matter what I try, I just can’t get it.

Posted by: Followedbyrocks.8751

Followedbyrocks.8751

I’m not saying I expect or feel entitled to a Mini Gwynefyrdd. I’m only letting the team know that my interaction with the system of trying to get one was not fun and wound up very disappointing even after a whole lot of work on my part.

Exactly my feelings as well. I appreciate that they want to have some rarity and prestige to this mini, and I don’t feel I should just be given one for logging into the game. I would however, have been grateful for being given a bit of a fairer chance at getting it.

Posted by: Fowidner.6930

Fowidner.6930

In my opinion Anet did a good job some of the minis were easy to get while others needed ‘a bit of’ rng. The combination of these items was good. Opened myself 5000-6000 bags without results, but I opened and collected them for a reason which made it more enjoyable.

Now some players really have some item that others don’t have. I would like to see more unique / rare items that others don’t have (and not from gem store). Don’t say a legendary is an unique item because like everyone has at least one.

And after all its just a mini :P

Megis.9264

In my opinion Anet did a good job some of the minis were easy to get while others needed ‘a bit of’ rng. The combination of these items was good. Opened myself 5000-6000 bags without results, but I opened and collected them for a reason which made it more enjoyable.

Now some players really have some item that others don’t have. I would like to see more unique / rare items that others don’t have (and not from gem store). Don’t say a legendary is an unique item because like everyone has at least one.

And after all its just a mini :P

Now imagine there’s this game you really want to play.
You’ve seen others play this game, people praising it to high heaven, others forgetting they have it without even playing it. Now imagine you’d have to walk into the store to get it. but when you do get it, it turns out it is just a code in a box, a code that has only an infinitesimal small chance of working. And you can’t play someone else’s game, because it is registered to them.

Posted by: insomniaproject.1348

insomniaproject.1348

i have nothing against some RNG but if the RNG is that only People with lots of Money can optain it then it is a bit unfair.
so far i looked the People estimate it drop rate 1/20000.
I was able to Farm like 3-4k bags myself and that was alot of work but even with that lots of ingame farming the Chance to get it was quite low(i did not got it)
And i really ask myself howmany People have been able to farm more then 10.000 bags themself without buying them?

I really dont like to use my Money for that because that is not fun for me(and if you dont get it also with spending all your Money you are really really really angry)
I liked it earn it with playing the game and many of my guildmates thought the same, in the end my whole guild did farm serveral houres a day and in the end non of my guild members was able to get one.

I just dont get how it can be that if like 10 People farm 3-8h a day for 2 weeks and in the end all of them are Kind of sad because they did not get it(the only Thing we got in the end was a nice amount of zuzus , we also got non of the unlimited potion or necklases) and then come the Statement it Drops like it should be -.-’ then im like you really wanted to make many People sad

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I wouldn’t mind farming all halloween for it if it was a guaranteed reward. As other people suggested earlier in the thread have Sonder the Seller offer it for 50 or 100 or even 250 candy corn cobs and it’s not a problem.

It would still require farming a lot of ToT bags. which is exactly what it takes now, but there would be a definite goal to work towards instead of one person getting it on the first day when they’d barely started and other people spending all halloween farming and opening thousands of bags and not getting one at all.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Tentakelkatze.9317

Tentakelkatze.9317

Well, yay. Or not. Not at all.

I’m one of those people who used to simply enjoy the game and never post in forums or complain about anything. This Halloween event, however, made me break with this habit because it just feels wrong. Horribly wrong.

I’m just another “crazy cat lady” a.k.a. miniature collector who feels screwed, exploited and very, very sad. I understand the concept of RNG and also know this feeling of excitement when something really rare (like a precursor) happens to drop. There is, though, a fine but distinct line between reasonably rare and absurd.

I opened about 500k bags during the Halloween event. To do this, I had to click for several hours every day or to let my boyfriend click for me because it was physically too much for me. I spent my entire gold and sold nearly everything I had stored in my bank (except for really worthless stuff like tin lumps). So did my boyfriend, who kindly gave me 2000 gold so I could get that cute mini. Two accounts completely drained of savings – for nothing.

Observing my own drops and those of other players who posted theirs, I assume there is a 1:50k or 1:60k chance for a “rare” drop like Oontz’ necklace, Gwyn etc. And since there are 9 or so of those “rare goodies”, the chance for Gwyn has to be somewhere around 1:500k. This is just absurd, for anyone who doesn’t use macros or have thousands of gold to begin with. Heck, I had tons of gold and stuff I could sell, and I spent the last two weeks clicking like crazy instead of playing the game and enjoying real content. For what – for a statistical chance of 63ish % that yielded me nothing in the end.

Sure, the strategy behind this seems obvious. It is working as intended. Some random people get this mini to prove it exists and is super rare, while all those collectors who really care about it spend tons of money (i.e. tons of real money in some cases). Now, with Halloween being over, they can hope to open a few bags every day for a sliiiiiiiiim chance to finally get it, thus keeping playing GW2 and remaining vulnerable targets for other “marketing decisions”.

This makes me really, really sad. As I stated above, I always loved this game, but the habit of using cute minipets and dedicated collector mentality for dirty manipulations like this Halloween feels disgusting. Normally, I hate QQ, I don’t do QQ. I don’t rant about stuff I don’t like. This time, I can’t help but QQ. Because holiday events (and video games in general) are supposed to be fun, and it was the opposite of fun. It made the game taste bad for me, taste like smug grins of all those statisticians and economists who pooped in my favourite cuddly world and now rub they hands giggling because everything goes according to plan a.k.a. “working as designed”. Designed to make sad kitties sad, after more than two years of excellent gaming experience. An evil asura in Mount Maelstrom used to say, “Your failure is only funny if you try”. Well, I can easily imagine those guys who really had their fun with this event.

I have no idea if our concerns really reach those responsible (although with Gaile’s kind help, I might still have some hope, kinda like “a slim chance for an epic drop”). I just felt the urge to post a comment. For that slim chance.

Sincerely,
a sad kitty

Posted by: Followedbyrocks.8751

Followedbyrocks.8751

^ This. Basically.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

i have nothing against some RNG but if the RNG is that only People with lots of Money can optain it then it is a bit unfair.
so far i looked the People estimate it drop rate 1/20000.

It’s nowhere as high. Late estimations place it at 1:100 000 or lower. Possibly much lower.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: GreyMouser.1235

GreyMouser.1235

If it were tradeable this thread would not exist. That’s the entire problem. Account bound items should be from things you can work for yourself like ascended/legendary gear. Making Gwyn bound would be as stupid as making pre’s account bound. That’s the bottom line. If they only wanted to redistribute wealth having her tradeable would have had the same effect. 400g on a mini via the tradepost would still have put a literal boatload of gold into the hands of the lucky few and some of us idiots would still have been buying bags trying to get her to drop.
I just hate that I busted my kitten for 2 weeks working 20x harder than 99% of the population and have jack kitten to show for it. Yay now I’m broke and I missed all the gem store skins and minis because my gold was squandered on something that has a nearly 100% failure rate.
FYI: From an ANet employee – the real profit from the gem store doesn’t come from gem to gold conversions, but actual gems spent, so they seriously boned themselves with this. The money they make on gems comes from people actually wanting stuff bought with gems, but they effectively killed the entire supply of gold that keeps gem-to-gold transactions going. They nerfed their own gem store sales by making us waste gold on bags that end up making people ragequit the game for extended periods of time. I adore living story and even I’m not sure if I’m going to play the new content this week just because I’m so mad.

I ran around with Erik for a gigantic portion of the event this past 2 weeks, and the amount of work put into this was ridiculous. Personally, I probably farmed about 15k bags, and didn’t get a single tonic, amulet, or Zuzu, never mind Gwynefrdd. Yeah, not as much as Erik, but enough that I’m in GW2 burnout now.

Once the patch hit yesterday, I logged off. I logged back in for 5 minutes today and logged back off. After this Halloween, I have become completely de-motivated, just like Erik. Making the drop super-rare was bad enough, making them account-bound on acquisition is just stupid. If this is the trend of rare items in the future, I’m not going to bother any more.

[SOF]
Servants of Fortuna
Yak’s Bend

Posted by: Icy Death.3214

Icy Death.3214

I have opened over 75K Bags and no Gwyn…. I am starting to feel sick after spending my gold that I was saving for so long for my legendary.

(edited by Icy Death.3214)

Posted by: ZilentNight.5089

ZilentNight.5089

I am actually very surprised that no change has been made to this mini. How much feedback do you need before something will actually be done?

This is the worst decision made by Anet since launch.

Edit: This thread has more views than the Guild Raiding CDI, many players are looking forward to this change, they may not post here but they share similar views.

(edited by ZilentNight.5089)

Posted by: Maxite.6102

Maxite.6102

I liked the uber rare drop rate. Having super rare things adds an interesting dynamic to an otherwise standard event. I hope to see more like it in the future, and like with GW, Mini pets are a pretty good venue.

Bring back the Polar Bear Cub, next. (No, it doesn’t count without the ribbon.)

Posted by: ZilentNight.5089

ZilentNight.5089

I liked the uber rare drop rate. Having super rare things adds an interesting dynamic to an otherwise standard event. I hope to see more like it in the future, and like with GW, Mini pets are a pretty good venue.

This isnt GW1 and even the Polar Bear from GW1 was tradeable….
Also they never sold minis on the cash shop in GW1, its a completely different game.

Posted by: AlienMenace.7516

AlienMenace.7516

Exactly my feelings as well. I appreciate that they want to have some rarity and prestige to this mini, and I don’t feel I should just be given one for logging into the game. I would however, have been grateful for being given a bit of a fairer chance at getting it.

Like I said, I like a challenge you can work hard at (like learning and conquering the Liadri fight) or where you slowly work toward a goal (like collecting a big number of tokens, with some way to regularly get tokens).

If the challenge of getting this mini was to get enough cobs equivalent to (throws out a crazy-high number) of Candy Corn, at least every piece still would feel like progress, even if only a tiny increment of progress.

(although this is still not great design – I’m looking back at how much work it was to get Mini Bloody Prince Thorn back in 2013. I think the new price for him this year was much more reasonable, and having personally got it back in 2013, I still feel like it’s better to let newer players get it at the newer reasonable price than to perpetuate insanity, but I digress…)

But with these Trick or Treat bags there is no sense of progress. Just like you are not “overdue to flip” a tails after flipping fifty consecutive heads in coin tosses (next toss remains an even 50/50 chance), each subsequent bag carried the incredibly low chance the previous bag had when aiming for this mini. Which left a lot of people, myself included, empty-handed even after opening so many.

In the setting of a video game, it’s hard to see how the system this Halloween contributed to the “fun factor.” My personal experience interacting with the system was not fun, and I could not accomplish my goal because of pure low-odds RNG.

Posted by: Cormac.3871

Cormac.3871

About the longest odds I will grind something for are 1 in 20, maybe 1 in 50 if the bags are dropping as often as ToT bags. Things like Gwynerfyrdd and Chaos of Lyssa are far too long odds to go in with any sort of expectation. Ironically it is the sort of person who will collect 50,000 bags hoping to get that rare drop that ensures that this type of content will keep getting put in.

Posted by: papry.8096

papry.8096

This thread has more views than the Guild Raiding CDI, many players are looking forward to this change, they may not post here but they share similar views.

Incredible no ?
They keep giving us the cold shoulder.

Posted by: Tentakelkatze.9317

Tentakelkatze.9317

Ironically it is the sort of person who will collect 50,000 bags hoping to get that rare drop that ensures that this type of content will keep getting put in.

It is, but they’re still victims of predatory marketing if I may put it somewhat dramatically. And there’s a huge difference between 50k and 500k. A 1:50k chance would still be kinda mean for many casual players, I guess, but 1:500k is a straitforward “screw you” to even those ones who’ve invested thousands of hours into this game.

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Just got my 2nd Gwynefyrdd out of a ToT Bag, pretty useless i thought as its account bound.
But i was able to forge it with 13 nougats/fangs/skulls and got a candy corn cob!

Made my day.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Malediktus.9250

Just got my 2nd Gwynefyrdd out of a ToT Bag, pretty useless i thought as its account bound.
But i was able to forge it with 13 nougats/fangs/skulls and got a candy corn cob!

Made my day.

Imagine your profit if it was tradeable. Probably like 1000g if not more.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Even higher, I’d say. Given how rare this mini is, I’d fully expect it to cost as much as some Legendaries. If not more.

Out of curiosity, Wanze, how many ToT bags did you open to get those 2 Gwynefyrdds?

Posted by: Icy Death.3214

Icy Death.3214

My updated total is at 108,000 ToT bags now with no mini Gwynefyrdd… I think I am going to take a break for a month or so after that (I will still be doing tpvp with friends) good luck everyone.

(edited by Icy Death.3214)

Kronos.3695

Are you kidding, right?
In GW every single mini was tradable EVEN AFTER dedicating them to the Hall of Monuments.

Account Bound minis are the most awful idea they could bring into this game.

YouTube Channel

Megis.9264

Well, there’s one mini you can’t trade, but that one can easily be earned from the Wayfarer’s Reverie.

Kronos.3695

Best gold sink ever if you fall into their trick.
I didn’t, even if i was a minipet collector.

Just start to play as you want, don’t buy anymore any mini from the gemstore, and you’ll see that everything will be good

YouTube Channel