Hat wearing baldness disease

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Arobain.8274

Arobain.8274

So apparently everytime someone puts on a hat, our hair completely disappears, this really just makes players not want to wear said hats, for example, the ringmasters hat is cool, but my asura loses his great hair when i put it on, i’m sure this isn’t that difficult to do so the hair stays where the hat doesn’t touch or something?

Posted by: JediYoda.1275

JediYoda.1275

Anet will not fix this and they are well aware of this issue and players request to fix it since GW1,. It’s just something we have to live with, I know life is so harsh

“If only ANet had some kind of forum they could use to communicate with us……”
“ANet. They never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity to not mess up.”
Mod “Posts created to cause unrest with unfounded claims are not allowed” lmao

Posted by: krzygum.4028

krzygum.4028

They fixed it with Dwayna outfit. You should buy it.

Posted by: Eponet.4829

Eponet.4829

They used to have hair drawn on with hats at release that seemed to work fine. I don’t know why they changed it

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

So apparently everytime someone puts on a hat, our hair completely disappears, this really just makes players not want to wear said hats, for example, the ringmasters hat is cool, but my asura loses his great hair when i put it on, i’m sure this isn’t that difficult to do so the hair stays where the hat doesn’t touch or something?

The “it’s not that difficult” comment… have you ever tried to do it? Have you ever seen it done well in some game, namely one with this game’s level of graphics?

To do it they’d have to somehow block out just the hair that would clip, well then we move, so that changes.

It’s not so easy.

Posted by: Arobain.8274

Arobain.8274

The “it’s not that difficult” comment… have you ever tried to do it? Have you ever seen it done well in some game, namely one with this game’s level of graphics?

To do it they’d have to somehow block out just the hair that would clip, well then we move, so that changes.

It’s not so easy.

well, Team Fortress 2, Skyrim, Lord of the rings online ( with some hats ) and my friend that knows about mmo making, assured me that its not too difficult

Posted by: Cherokeewill.7504

Cherokeewill.7504

“It’s not that difficult.”

Each headgear item is a seperate object in the game as is each hair-style. Each object must be created seperately by a modeler. Once hair is involved, each peice of headgear must have a seperate hair model created for each hairstyle… for each race. Discounting the number of peices that have no effect or are complete covers you still have a large number.

2 sexes X 5 races X 12 hairstyles(or more) X n armor styles. I’ll let someone else actually do the math but I hope you can see why it’s easier for the characters to be bald.

Posted by: Prototypemind.4026

Prototypemind.4026

It’s not so easy.

Vindictus, Aeon, Tera, even SWTOR. And Black Desert, Blade & Soul, Bless, Kingdom Under Fire 2, and many upcoming/possible releases also do this without issue.

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

If I’m not mistaken, FF14 doesn’t have this issue and the graphics there are much higher than GW2.

Posted by: ArchieD.6972

ArchieD.6972

As someone who has some form of 3d modelling experience, I can say it doesn’t seem as if it should be that hard.

Create a parameter that only affects the hair, and create a void mass surrounding the headpiece in the area you want to clip (namely from the inside face of the headpiece out) then lock that mass to the headpiece itself, so that when the headpiece is resized for whatever reason, the void shifts with it. Whatever hair doesn’t fall within that void still shows.

Now I don’t know what modelling program they use, but this seems to be well within reason.

10 Level 80s | http://tinyurl.com/oj4e9hr
1900+ Hrs Played | http://tinyurl.com/ppq4ksz
No Precursor | http://tinyurl.com/njgsg3l

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Yet if it was that easy they wouldn’t design hats that have parts that hang around the back and sides to hide the fact you now have no hair.

Remember character models using armor are built on the fly when needed.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: L Step.8659

L Step.8659

Kind of ironic in a game all about cosmetic progression that they have one of the most hideously cosmetic displeasing things you can have in a game when you wear a hat.

ReRolled [Re] GvG Hero/Wannabe

Best NA rallybot on EU

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

It wouldn’t be so bad if they just gave us a few default or very basic hair styles that would work with all hats.

How it could work is next to the headgear slot there is a button that we click to “open hair styles for hats”. Doing so would preview the hat and give us a few basic hair options. All they would need to keep from our already chosen hair style would be the colour.

If Anet can’t figure out what I mean, go play sims 3, create a char and choose a hat and you will see what I mean as they give a few hair options per hat. :P

I wouldn’t say that Anet has been “lazy” as such over this issue up to this point more like not so motivated or willing to spend the resources there perhaps. Well, now people are asking for such things more and more and more hat items coming to the gem store perhaps its time they look at addressing it? It could mean more sales for them so that should be incentive enough now. I know I would start to buy more hat items as I have been tempted lately but the no hair has been a real issue there.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Tere.4759

Tere.4759

It’s not so easy.

Vindictus, Aeon, Tera, even SWTOR. And Black Desert, Blade & Soul, Bless, Kingdom Under Fire 2, and many upcoming/possible releases also do this without issue.

SWTOR does not do it without issue. SWTOR does bald which is why I will never put hats on my characters.

Guild Leader of The Black Court, we’re small, friendly and active.

Posted by: Westwater.1095

Westwater.1095

You’re acting like this game is something impressive to look at.

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

i’m sure this isn’t that difficult to do so the hair stays where the hat doesn’t touch or something?

You couldn’t be any more wrong.
Put a hat over a hair model without changing the hair is almost impossible, or you’ll get terrible clippings at best.
Change the hair based on the hat that is covering is an amount of work you can’t imagine, the simplest solution would be to make a different hair model for each hat for each hair model, for example, if there was 6 hats that makes the head bold you would need to make 6 new hair models for every possible hair in the game.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

(edited by Belzebu.3912)

Posted by: Kanek.5472

Kanek.5472

This video is the only thing that came to mind when I read the title.

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

You’re acting like this game is something impressive to look at.

It’s not quality I was talking about, or not mainly, it’s that we have a decent level of diversity and a non cartoonish/blocky graphics. It would take a system that can intelligently alter the hair only at the points it needs to be. With how much clipping we have here, well it’s obvious they don’t have a system and I stand by the idea that it’d surely not be an easy task.

I am impressed so many games have done it, I wouldn’t count TF2 in there though because it’s not that level of graphics, mentioning to give an example of what I was talking about. Not surprised on Black Desert either, that game is going to be beautiful.

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

i’m sure this isn’t that difficult to do so the hair stays where the hat doesn’t touch or something?

Put a hat over a hair model without changing the hair is almost impossible, or you’ll get terrible clippings at best.
Change the hair based on the hat that is covering is an amount of work you can’t imagine, the simplest solution would be to make a different hair model for each hat for each hair model, for example, if there was 6 hats that makes the head bold you would need to make 6 new hair models for every possible hair in the game.

Just 1 hair model per hat would work for each race/gender. As long as you can see hair under the hat. The baldness is weird as hell. Try putting the celebration hat or whatever its called on, you look like kitten patient trying to hide your baldness with a baseball cap.

Posted by: JNetRocks.3652

JNetRocks.3652

Easiest fix would be to make two ‘hat hair’ models
- short hair
- long hair

When you put a hat on it uses the hat hair model which just has the hair tucked up under or removes bangs/ponytails/etc. Use the color of the default hair and you’re done. All they’d need to do is add a tag/label to each hair style (long/short) that toggles the appropriate short/long hair model when a hat is on.

10 models (long/short for each race) – 1 week of work
Implementing tagging of existing hair models – 1 day
Implementing programming to toggle – like 1 week~

Posted by: Nick Lentz.6982

Nick Lentz.6982

Seeing as this has always clipped beards since before day one, you should not hold your breath for anything to happen :P

Attachments:

Guardian of Maguuma
Grand Warden of I Crit Under Pressure.
message me for an invite ^_^

Posted by: Tabootrinket.2631

Tabootrinket.2631

Yeah, I really think people should drop the :
“Can’t you imagine how difficult it is”, “Why don’t you try doing it yourself”
arguments.

It’s not OUR job to provide decent content, or to find a solution for it.
Putting hair underneath the hats has been done and is still done by MANY mmorpgs. And MANY pulled it out satisfyingly. I won’t make the list as it has already been done in this thread (and I’m sure there are other examples not mentioned).
Clipping problems ? That’s a false excuse considering all the already existing clipping problems that haven’t been adressed so far.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

10 models (long/short for each race) – 1 week of work

So 4 hours to do all the hats/helms in game per race/hair length? What’s that, like 5 minutes each?

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: ReV.6097

ReV.6097

I can understand with hair issues on the head models.
Each helmet covers a certain amount of the head, so for each race/hairstyle and helmet, you’d have to make sure the clipping doesn’t occur between the items position on the head and the hair’s shape and bulkiness. I haven’t a clue how long that’d take to complete. I haven’t done modelling in a while since KotOR 2. -.-

You could c lone a few of the non-unique hair pieces (short, medium, long, ponytail) to use as alternative hair models (that are used once helms are equipped). You’d be better off removing certain areas of the upper hair that is often unseen while an item is equipped, to avoid clipping.

I am kinda surprised this hasn’t been done at some point by their game devs, but I guess time is not easily spared lately.

GW2 Role Play Deviant art -
Legacy of Kain:
[link]http://fav.me/d8kgamy[/link]

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

Yeah, I really think people should drop the :
“Can’t you imagine how difficult it is”, “Why don’t you try doing it yourself”
arguments.

Lol it isn’t even “hard” within the scope of the skill set needed to model the hair in the first place.

All it requires is more manhours of work to model out hairs for each helmet.
It’s a significantly easier thing to pull off than making dynamic capes work on hunched over Charr.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Posted by: Gotejjeken.1267

Gotejjeken.1267

Asura are kinda safe from this for the most part, since they look most natural bald. The rest…yeah.

Doesn’t this issue tie into why we can’t have capes anymore? Something about clipping being Anets worst nightmare?

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

Asura are kinda safe from this for the most part, since they look most natural bald. The rest…yeah.

Doesn’t this issue tie into why we can’t have capes anymore? Something about clipping being Anets worst nightmare?

The major problem with capes is the most practical way to implement them is with a dynamics system similar to what you can see in the game with things that have dangley bits like ribbons or tassels. The Winter’ Day toy daggers are a great example.

This would normally not be an issue and wasn’t in GW1. The cape would just hang straight down in a resting, static pose. No muss, no fuss. There might be some clipping with some armors that jut out, but that would be the extent of it.

The problem arises when you realize the Charr don’t stand in a perfect humanoid pose. They are severely hunched over with a good portion of their back almost parallel to the ground plane. This creates a major issue because now the capes need to be able to flow like simulated cloth but still come to a resting pose on the back of the Charr in a way that looks natural. This is something that would almost certainly require collision detection, something they don’t have turned on for any other dynamic object that I’ve seen. Not only is that more resource intensive, but the cape would almost certainly look like crap resting on a the wide range of armor meshes that a Charr can wear without a very high poly count which just ramps up the power needed to make it all work.

Essentially, they can pull it off from a technical perspective but it will probably not look good at all. If they release capes the amount of clipping will just cause a flood of “why’s my cape clipping/glitching?” or “why does my cape look like crap? I paid $10 for this!” threads.

For a great example of how fidgety real time dynamics are in a game environment, go play around in a Bethesda game or any other that makes heavy use of the Havok Engine.

Basically they can’t win either way.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Posted by: Basandra Skye.4031

Basandra Skye.4031

Just 1 hair model per hat would work for each race/gender. As long as you can see hair under the hat. The baldness is weird as hell. Try putting the celebration hat or whatever its called on, you look like kitten patient trying to hide your baldness with a baseball cap.

1 model wouldnt work at all. Particularly with Sylvari, what with people wanting to use that god awful mushroom head.

Posted by: SirDrygan.1823

SirDrygan.1823

I would love they do something about the bald heads when wearing caps or helmets or something, but I would rather they fix critical bugs first above all else.

However, if other MMO’s don’t have this problem, I don’t see why it can’t be address. Probably a resource not enough situation.

Posted by: BrooksP.4318

BrooksP.4318

I would love they do something about the bald heads when wearing caps or helmets or something, but I would rather they fix critical bugs first above all else.

Unless it is graphical bugs, the same people who would work on hat hair, usually aren’t the same people who fix bugs.

The difficulty of this depends really on how GW2 is made, if they can do scaling and layers in regards to head peices it shouldn’t be that hard. If they have to manually create each model then yes it would be time consuming. However as others have stated there is a simple middle ground if the latter is true, just making a long/short version for each race and be done with it would be much better than the current baldness.

Its interesting that GW2’s business model relies heavily on cosmetics, yet they seem to skimp on it any chance they can get.

Posted by: Belenus.9132

Belenus.9132

You think you have problems with baldness? At least two of my Charr lose their horns when helmets and certain other items are placed on the head. I appreciate that this is a game mechanic and rendering issue, but if a Charr has some tremendously large and ornate horns surely they count as major body parts and well … vanishing as they do makes the character change significantly.

Besides, and as one of my characters is fond of mentioning, “I’ve always been suspicious of warriors who wear helmets … for it suggests that they’re worried about having their heads caved in.” (and yes, that’s intended as observational comedy).

Posted by: JNetRocks.3652

JNetRocks.3652

So 4 hours to do all the hats/helms in game per race/hair length? What’s that, like 5 minutes each?

Sorry, to be more clear I meant have two models per race total.
- Short tucked hair.
- Long tucked hair.

Not per hat! That would be… a lot of stuff. Just doing short/long tucked hair per race is only 10 models for the entire game and would at least give us -something-. I have a degree in game art & design and have worked on several hair models. 10 models like this wouldn’t take more than a few days, especially since they are designed to be under hats and won’t be fully shown. Doesn’t need a lot of details or physics.

Programming implementation can be a little more complex but they already have a check for when a hat is equipped that hides the default hair. All they would need to do is add a check “was that hair short or long” and SHOW the appropriate hat hair underneath the hat. It’s literally like 10~ lines of code.

I think the most time consuming part would be implementing a way to determine whether they should show short or long hair model. Need to tag each hair style as short or long.

Posted by: Marge.4035

Marge.4035

As someone who has some form of 3d modelling experience, I can say it doesn’t seem as if it should be that hard.
/snip
Now I don’t know what modelling program they use, but this seems to be well within reason.

Then why not just revert to the old method of drawing hair on the scalp texture, like we had few years ago? I know it’s not quite the same, but it made a difference.

Attachments:

No, No, No! Mummified flesh on the left! Dried bones on the right!

Posted by: Basandra Skye.4031

Basandra Skye.4031

Not per hat! That would be… a lot of stuff. Just doing short/long tucked hair per race is only 10 models for the entire game and would at least give us -something-.

You… do realize that’d work for only 4 of the 5 races, right? Sylvari hair isnt actually hair you know.

Posted by: Prototypemind.4026

Prototypemind.4026

Honestly, it doesn’t matter how difficult it is, it needs to be done. It’s the job of those who do the modeling to produce something pleasing for players, and losing you locks every time you don a hat isn’t pleasing anyone. It happens in other games, it needs to happen here.