Honoring Priest Graidy, a true hero

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Veron.8645

Veron.8645

In today’s Lion’s Arch naming poll, one of the proposed names for the rebuilt lighthouse is Graidy Lighthouse.

Priest Graidy was a kind and generous man and beloved father who believed in the strength of the people in Lion’s Arch to overcome adversity. He had strong faith in the Six Gods, but he respected the religious freedom of others. After the historic lighthouse was destroyed in the Karka attack, he stood nearby and offered visiting players swiftness boons.

Priest Graidy: Six watch over you, my friend. Have you come to see the last, battered remnant of Old Lion’s Arch?
Priest Graidy: Disaster and attack may have raised [sic] it to its ancient foundations, but we’ll always maintain this treasured monument.
Priest Graidy: The Six have preserved the foundation as a gift to all who walk the face of Tyria, regardless of their beliefs. In the name of the Six, I bless you with the swiftness of the gods.
Priest Graidy: Such is the awe-inspiring power of the six gods. Take their blessing to hasten to your next destination."

(http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Priest_Graidy#Dialogue)

During Scarlet’s attack on Lion’s Arch, he sent his daughter with the other lighthouse workers away to safety, while he himself stayed at the newly rebuilt lighthouse in order to warn approaching ships away from the devastation and violence happening in the city.

Ellyna Graidy: Dad. Forget the lighthouse! We need to get out of the city.
Priest Graidy: Not yet, honey. Approaching vessels need to be warned off.
Ellyna Graidy: Dad…
Priest Graidy: Just go. I’ll be right behind you. Until then, may Dwayna keep you in her arms.
Priest Graidy: I love you, bunny.
Ellyna Graidy: I love you, bear.
Ellyna Graidy: All right. Get me out of the city, and then come back for my father.

(http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Lion%27s_Arch_(Under_Attack!)#Ambient_dialogue)

Because of his selfless act to prevent the battle from claiming more lives, he did not reach safety himself and made the ultimate sacrifice.

Ellyna Graidy: I still think I’m going to see my bear, but then it strikes me that he’s gone.
Ellyna Graidy: When Scarlet attacked the city, my father stayed behind and used the lighthouse to warn ships to stay away. He sent me away, for my own safety.
Ellyna Graidy: My father used to tell me stories about a bear and a bunny having adventures. Since then he’s been my bear, and I was his…Oh, why did he have to die?

(http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ellyna_Graidy#During_the_Battle_for_Lion.27s_Arch:_Aftermath_release)

Priest Graidy was a true hero of Lion’s Arch, a kind and gentle father who had the courage and heart to put himself in danger and save lives during terrifying attack on his beloved city. I think it would be appropriate for his life, his values, and his sacrifice to be memorialized in the naming of the lighthouse, a building whose purpose is to keep sailors safe and the place where he made his last stand.

(Mirroring a Reddit post.)

Veron Oakguard | Wiki: Veron | Reddit: /u/OaksFromAcorns | Vintage Gaming [VG] (JQ) • Attuned [Att]

(edited by Veron.8645)

Posted by: Syrpharon.7491

Syrpharon.7491

Sorry, already gone for the more generic Phoenix something.
So much for the memory of the priest.

Posted by: Bensozia.8071

Bensozia.8071

Almost voted for Graidy till I remembered how racist Ellyna is.
She had to get that attitude from some one.

Guardians of the Light [GOTL]
The Dragonfly Effect [Phi]
DragonBrand

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

I suspected it was for him, but I went for the other other choice.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: Jornophelanthas.1475

Jornophelanthas.1475

His daughter Ellyna Graidy walks around Lion’s Arch spouting racist slurs to any sylvari who dares to approach her.

Using the Graidy name for a city landmark will only bring associations with Ellyna and her intolerance. Ellyna’s attitude is so contrary to the general tolerance of Lion’s Arch, that it taints the Graidy name for the city.

Veron.8645

Ellyna went through a tragic time, and it’s very unfortunate and saddening that her loss has led to hate and racism. I think that makes it even more important that we make a positive gesture to honor her father’s selfless sacrifice to save lives. We want the memory of him to be associated with love and life, not with hate and blame.

Veron Oakguard | Wiki: Veron | Reddit: /u/OaksFromAcorns | Vintage Gaming [VG] (JQ) • Attuned [Att]

Posted by: Jornophelanthas.1475

Jornophelanthas.1475

Having a Graidy lighthouse attended by Ellyna Grady only gives her a stage to spread her message of hate.

Veron.8645

This isn’t about Ellyna, this is about her father. Just because her loss has led her to hateful feelings does not diminish the heroism and selflessness of her father.

As a a completely separate thought, I think reminding her about her father’s tolerance and love for other people through the naming of the lighthouse is the best way to help her heal and get away from the hatred.

(edited by Veron.8645)

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

I voted for the Graidy option. <3 that NPC.

Posted by: CrimsonDX.4821

CrimsonDX.4821

I voted for Graidy as well

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

Wasnt here for Scarletts attack, stopped playing because the episodes where going to fast for me to do them, so i went with phoenix because i have no idea who Graidy was.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Veron.8645

It’s unfortunate that a lot of people did not know about or had forgotten about Priest Graidy when they took the poll. I hope that if the poll ends up being close, there will be a runoff to give the people who were reminded about Priest Graidy after they had already voted to make a more informed decision.

Posted by: Mikal Dynath.6195

Mikal Dynath.6195

I voted for Graidy as well. Doesn’t seem to make sense to judge a clearly selfless man by the actions of his daughter …

Considering what we now know about the Sylvari …

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

Hmm, I haven’t heard any good recommendations for the other choices and thanks to your post, I think I’ll choose Graidy’s Lighthouse. Always good to keep history known for those that weren’t there to experience it for themselves.

The other options don’t seem to have any context at all.

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

I voted for Graidy as well. Doesn’t seem to make sense to judge a clearly selfless man by the actions of his daughter …

Considering what we now know about the Sylvari …

are you judging :P

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

Posted by: Jumpin Lumpix.6108

Jumpin Lumpix.6108

Think I saw priest Graidys leg in the compost heap the other day… oh well RIP PHEONIX RISING REBORN FIRE LIGHTHOUSE HYPE!

aka. “The Complainer”