I would pay to play

I would pay to play

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Fortus.6175

Fortus.6175

I would pay a 6 monthly expansion ($40-$50) in order to ahve less RNG and more fun and play-what-you-want-and-still-get-fully-rewarded stuff.

Dont get me wrong, I love the game, I love the LS, the lore to certain extent, voice acting, have recommended to game to several people and they play it and love it.

But I have a couple problems that are completely understandable, Anet have workers that have family and they need to be paid, and Im ok with that, Im tight with money but I would gladly spend it like I already am, but the proble isnt me, the problem is people who do not think like me, anmd to certain extend me myself.

Let me explain:

RNG: Nothing is more frustrating than throwing countless amount of weapons and gold into forging an item totally dependent on luck. Sure I could buy gold with gems and then the precursor, but here is my problem: I made a vow;

“The moment I make a gold purchase (a virtual currency) with real currency it is the moment I know I became an addict and Im hereby require to unistall the game before I do the same mistake [I did in the 2 previous Korean MMOs I played which I wont mention]”

The other reason being that gold value changes overtime and thus money cant really be a good measure of gold unless you base it on current market.

Example of RNG well done; the Zephyr. I bought about $40 right off the bat first day because I knew that I was paying for scraps rather than a ticket, the ticket was a plus. I got my 2 zephyrite helemts and 2 wind catchers. I was happy, you got money, nobody got screwed over by RNG, everyone wins.

RNG badly done ; Precursors for both open world drops and Mystic Toilet, fractal weapons, T6 mats, weapons ticket system.

Second problem; people with alts and acc/soul bound items, aka legendaries, dungeons rewards, dungeon story, map completition.

This is to a lesser extent; I was playing a main for 11 months, ele, was about to finish bifrost, got frustrated with the poor balancing in this game and switched to guardian. Could you imagine if now I had a Bifrost sitting on a character I shelved without any hopes of ever using it again, negating 11 months or hard work? I would pay gems for an item that lets me de-souldbound something and make it account bound. I dont want to have it available for all stuff other wise we would have people migrating one single set of gear around several characters, but certain items shouldnt even be soulbound to begin with, like really exotic (as in really hard to craft) weapon skins.

Pace of content is too fast; Im a full time college student with a part time job and a family to attend, my spare time I play but I now have the pressure of doing content in the first 2 week before the new patch is added and my hopes to get people to do the content before they move on is over. THATS STRESFUL! I have to make decisions; work on stuff like getting some gold from dungeons, do daily or run all the meta events which have been very grindy lately (13 invasions?!) because if I dont do it, the rewards and hope of ever getting those cool skins will be gone FOREVER (normally I buy store minis, and collect weapon skins, so thats the way I play).

Please slowdown, as much as I love the SAB I cant keep p with it and have decided to not do it, it is too overwhelming and I need gold to buy all the t6 mats and precursor I need.

Lastly, the main reason why I gave up completely in PvP and have not set foot on it for 4 months except to travel to LA for free or try a new build on golems;

*Balance. *

It is just terrible, Im sorry, I love the game but the balance is terrible. You have seriously strong classes in ALL aspects of the game; warriors. Then you have classes that used to be good and now are beyond trash in all levels of the game; eles. You have blatant issues like stealth which isnt all that OP now but it is as annoying as always and used mostly to troll. Condition running rampant with almost no way to counter other than having 3 cleanses and 9999 vitality, leaving classes like eles and guardian with small hp pools having to give up a lot of damage in order to just be able to cleanse stuff. Also, check the holy trinity Warrior/mesmer/guardian, I rolled a guardian myself since if you cant beat them….

Anyways, Anet, if resources is what you need then Im willing to fund them with expansions rather than see you suffer from those greedy bosses that just want to milk their costumers based on gambling issues. Im sure Colin is trying and I hope he succeeds!

/cheers
- From a GW2 lover!

[GoM] Gate of Madness Server Elementalist|Guardian
Legendary SoloQ

I would pay to play

Posted by: Kuzzi.2198

Kuzzi.2198

I would pay $200 for an expansion that made guilds feel like guilds.

I would pay to play

Posted by: SpehssMehreen.5897

SpehssMehreen.5897

your working on assumptions and fallacies, this wont end well

I would pay to play

Posted by: Amadan.9451

Amadan.9451

well said, i too decided not to step foot on the sab, no matter if they nerfed it.
i miss the achievement list we had back in the last less grindy festival (wintersday) everything after wintersday with maybe flame and frost living story as the only exception, became overwhelming. you can still complete it in time, but only if you focus on that part alone. i hardly find party for whatever other content need party these days, people are way to busy farming, jumping, clicking crafting, complaining, burn outing etc etc. i’m not playing that much myself because despite so much to do i have nothing to do in game but always the same boring grinding dailies…

Looking for a gay friendly guild?
Join the Rainbow Pride

I would pay to play

Posted by: Daywolf.2630

Daywolf.2630

Sooo… pay to win and everyone wins? Still to this day I have not dumped tones of time and money into a gamble on having a legendary that only looks more interesting than “most” other weapons (some non LW’s are really nice e.g. Inferno). I’ve spent the greater part of the year leveling all eight classes, all eight crafts and all races. I did my own thing, as many have done, and you are not forced to go after legendaries. Really, imo anet should have just made all/most weapons look good (and armor), rather than just a few and that people will even dump into RMT to buy part or all to get. But I’ll leave it at that, time is a ticking.

Content pace, again, you are not forced to do it. I’ve skipped a couple living stories entirely, and even the previous one once I finished the achievements half way through the LS’ run, I went back to other things rather than zerg farm it out for all it’s worth. I’ve gone to college, worked full time and interacted with family while playing an mmo in the past, including leading weekly guild events for my guild which became one of the largest guilds in the game. I would have never told the devs please change the game for everyone because it didn’t fit my schedule.

As for balance, you must be a soloer? Balance mostly only effects people that play solo. When you get into a group, you become a cog in the machine. Such as my ele, it’s becoming my second favorite class in the game, not because it’s a mighty soloer and all glass cannon like, but it does well in group situations. There are many things my warrior cannot do compared to all the other classes I play, so I don’t just run around using my warrior 24/7. Like, my warrior cant stealth in and revive a group-mate when he is last standing, but my stealth thief can do that with ease. Too many examples where I can say the warrior lacks, but in solo pve I see why it’s a choice by many. For the soloer, balance becomes a serious topic because a group oriented game shows the differences more profoundly when soloing. This isn’t a solo game, even though many have cried for content nerfs and got their wishes fulfilled like with Orr because solo glass cannon player builds had a hard time surviving there while farming gold. Stick to groups and contribute, balance issues will melt away.

(edited by Daywolf.2630)

I would pay to play

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

I would pay a yearly expansion for sure if it had content that isn’t the kind anet been adding to gw2 all year but wouldn’t pay a monthly fee ever and that goes to any game and genre.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

I would pay to play

Daywolf.2630

I would pay a yearly expansion for sure if it had content that isn’t the kind anet been adding to gw2 all year but wouldn’t pay a monthly fee ever and that goes to any game and genre.

Well yeah, paying for an expansion + paying for a sub is really more of what fell out of favor in the West. I have no problems paying for a sub with included expansions. The only reason expansions were so popular was due to the publisher wanting to get a new box on the shelf to attract more sales and subs. You can hardly find PC boxes on any shelves any longer, most people download the content since bandwidth is cheap now. That’s why some games that still go with a sub no longer charge for expansions.

Really, I see a sub as better in that the whole game world can be expanded and not just added onto at distant locations where only those that buy the expansions can find. That’s what Anet set out to do I think, but charging for the expansion and not the sub. Still ends up the same that way though; distant content. But thus far they seem to focusing more on gem sales etc. I’m not sure if that is any better a solution, since then content may more become reliant on interacting with gems rather than what the best fun/content development could be.

I would pay to play

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

I understand where you are coming from but TBH I wouldn’t be saying that a subscription system would be better. In all honesty all they need to do is take out the RNG for any new Skins they bring into the game. People would probably spend MORE on them if they did this. Who cares if x amount of players don’t feel special anymore because “too many” people now have that same skin.

As for the mystic forge and the RNG I do not think that there should be any way ever that any player can get these items by spending real life cash like you are asking for with a subscription. Soon they are bringing in crafting of precursors I’m sure I have read on these forums so perhaps that can help you with that issue.

I would also like to say that this game going to a subs service would not ease the issues you have right now with keeping up to date with the content that comes out. If anything people would be demanding MORE content since they would be paying a subs.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

I would pay to play

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

The alternative to a lack of reward for play is not an expansion, but rather the subscription model. I learned this with D3 which was non-sub with a cash shop—just like GW2. I quickly realized that I would be responsible for any reward I received for playing that game. I have the same sense with GW2 (though not as bad). The RMT model, at least in the games I’ve played, leave reward pretty much to the player. You can keep a bowl of M&M’s next to your computer and reward yourself periodically, or you can follow the yellow brick road to the cash shop. It will be interesting to see how this works out as players are used to being rewarded for play. I’m looking forward to seeing how ffxiv does as a sub-model. My son is playing it as we speak. Personally, I would prefer, by far, a sub model if that’s what it truly takes to make a rewarding game.

I would pay to play

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

You know the saying “you get what you paid for”. Free content = not so good. Bought/paid for expansions = more and permanent content.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

I would pay to play

Daywolf.2630

Personally, I would prefer, by far, a sub model if that’s what it truly takes to make a rewarding game.

Same here, but we know how that would go over if they said “hey guys, lets convert to sub model!”. Protests, rage quits, riots, cars burning in the streets heh.

There are (a people that would be fine with it if RMT and expansion costs removed. B) people that have subs to other games (cough WoW cough) that drop in and out of other games over boredom in between their games expansions. C) players that are hardcore freemium players and only broke down to buy the GW2 box …and may raise kitten when Anet announces a paid expansion, but will probably buy it.

As the game started out in this model, it’s pretty much stuck with it no matter what. Their only two choices seem to be 1. start releasing paid expansions, or 2. incrementally make RMT more of a driving point for the game. Add B to C and you get #2 most likely, which seems to be how they are playing it for now.

I would pay to play

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

So what you are saying is that the game is not any good for you because you do not pay every month. Somehow they will change strategy because you personally are going to pay then some amount of money per month. Very strange thought process there. They have already stated that they get enough via sales (box and gems) to be equivalent to getting a lesser number of people paying per month. What don’t you grasp about this? They have their goals and they work for the majority of people playing or else they would have different goals. It is how businesses work.