Impact to casual play and long term play.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: nachodragon.8159

nachodragon.8159

Some perspective on me and my playing. Played GW1 since beginning to days before GW2 dropped. Bought all expansions and all costumes for GW1. I supported a game I loved to play.

My issue with this is for casual play it comes down to the rest of the community. I am able to play more than my fiance is able. When she gets on we play together. This is fine for most things. The problem comes when we want to do something else, like dungeons. I consider dungeons to be part of casual play. Previously, they could be done at your leisure for the cosmetic look and potentially for the gear. Now, it will be hard to get people to run those dungeons when we have time because the rewards are not there for those other players.

It comes down to the long term aspect of casual play. If someone is only able to play every other weekend, they will have that much more to do to catch up. And by catch up, I mean, when there is more gear there is that much more to do to get it. When other games release expansions it invalidates their older content and it is not run anymore. GW1 did not do this and it was glorious. You were not just grinding to hit top level so you could play the small percentage of the game where everyone was playing.

For gear we could stomach the 252,000 karma for Orr gear for a long term goal. I am about halfway there, she is not. But since I won’t be more powerful, it didn’t matter if I got it first. When other methods of acquiring new gear come in to play what is the point of getting Exotics anymore. I am not going to drop 252,000 karma on gear that is useless, when I will probably have to spend (just guessing) 504,000 karma. Crafting, sure, so now I need 50 ectos per piece of gear, up from 5! Well, that seems wrong. Not counting the T6 items or anything else. Now, I have to try and get I don’t know how much gold for all of that unless I want to farm, which takes away from the fun that i was planning to have. Or, by paying money for the gold and that is seriously wrong for a stats increase. Also, my numbers may be off for Karma.. it could be 2,520,000 for a full set, if the crafting for the back piece is any indication.

I have a number of friends that have lives and other things they need to do right now. The reason they bought this game was because they could stop for 6 months if they needed and come back to the game and be right where they left off, just more areas to explore. This was wonderful in GW1. I took over a year off from the game. Came back and didn’t need new armor at all. There was new armor I could acquire, but it was not better and I did not need it for anything. I could go to Underworld, FoW, The deep, Urgoz, Sorrow’s furnace, and Mallyx area (can’t recall name right now) and all of the other dungeons and not be at a disadvantage. Sure, there was the PvE skills that got better with more rep. BUT, the best part, you did not have to use them. They made some bosses/events maybe somewhat easier but I could and did do those things without them. That was a huge part of the game, playing as you wanted to play without being force to get certain gear.

Infusions in GW1 was only for the storyline in Prophecies and is not the same thing in GW2. It was part of the storyline and you would get your armor infused while playing the game (1 mission and 1 other area in the game). But it had no stats increase and was a 5 minute gate (You could get someone to run to the spot in about 5 minutes). This was not part of Factions, Nightfall or GWEN.

None of the mechanisms in GW1 invalidated previous content. With ascended gear and FotM it will invalidate the other dungeons and only be run sparingly, with difficulty in finding a group, for the skins themselves.

I am still playing right now, but am losing enthusiasm for the game and am questioning if I want to give money to a company that does not deliver what they have promised.

Posted by: Mountain Man.7901

Mountain Man.7901

I agree. The whole notion of “Play however you want and don’t worry about getting left behind” has been tossed to the curb.

Posted by: Corvindi.5734

Corvindi.5734

And to think I was foolish enough to play alt after alt and never worry about getting to 80 in a hurry even for WvW because I knew when I did get there it would be a simple matter to get my exotics and be on par with everyone.

Now I’ll never get to experience WvW as an on par player. I’m so sad. I should have power leveled my first character to 80 and geared her up in a hurry instead. So much for playing my way.

“…we don’t expect you to be forced into dungeons at endgame.”

~ArenaNet

Posted by: NaughtyProwler.8653

NaughtyProwler.8653

I’m in the same boat. I was happy with the old system. Now I fell completely behind in a single weekend and will only fall further behind because I am a casual player. It won’t be long until I’m 2-3 tiers behind just like I always was in WoW.

Posted by: Oorjuwa.1682

Oorjuwa.1682

Being a GW player for years and a big fan, I never thought that quitting GW2 would even occur to me. Suddenly am forcing myself to take a break from all the shocking disappointments by Anet handling GW2 and not keeping their word. Just not to actually quit. I am tired of this. I love the game and hate to see such amount of anger and disappointment towards it…Not everyone has the time and not everyone has the money. You promised us a fair game play and experience; so far I have been witnessing the total opposite.
I am loosing all the excitement I had once for the game, I don’t like this feeling. Please give us GW back…Now am just afraid of what next event/content release would be…

“You’ve got some really nice toys there. Mind if I break them?”
— Gwen

Posted by: MorceluLebeau.5109

MorceluLebeau.5109

Being a GW player for years and a big fan, I never thought that quitting GW2 would even occur to me. Suddenly am forcing myself to take a break from all the shocking disappointments by Anet handling GW2 and not keeping their word. Just not to actually quit. I am tired of this. I love the game and hate to see such amount of anger and disappointment towards it…Not everyone has the time and not everyone has the money. You promised us a fair game play and experience; so far I have been witnessing the total opposite.
I am loosing all the excitement I had once for the game, I don’t like this feeling. Please give us GW back…Now am just afraid of what next event/content release would be…

Same boat you are in, I played several different alts trying to find my way in this game as I was used to playing support/tanking roles and was trying to find my niche in the game..highest character isn’t even 70 yet… I followed this game for so long, it was like it was vaporware at times. Now I’ve uninstalled the game and just so disheartened at Arena net and by word of mouth telling others to not even bother playing it.

One thing was promised, now it’s destroyed. GG anet. (practicing my WoW lingo for pay day)

Posted by: Oghier.7419

Oghier.7419

It won’t be long until I’m 2-3 tiers behind just like I always was in WoW.

Let’s hope ANet does not continue to move in this direction. It will sweep out a lot of us.

Snit Dirtnap (Thief)
Ratbag Dogsticker (Guardian)
…Yak’s Bend

Posted by: Rhialto.8423

Rhialto.8423

I’m in the same boat. I was happy with the old system. Now I fell completely behind in a single weekend and will only fall further behind because I am a casual player. It won’t be long until I’m 2-3 tiers behind just like I always was in WoW.

Right there with you. I keep wanting to play the new fractals dungeon, but everyone is already looking for people who are several fractal levels higher than 1. At this point I’m not even going to try… if I find one, cool, and if not then I’ll just keep on dicking around and exploring the map. The dungeons have been out for what? 4 days now? And I’m already behind? No thanks.

Sad thing is, I really enjoyed doing dungeons up until this point.

At least the game doesn’t have a sub.

Posted by: pilfro.2307

pilfro.2307

Can someone tell me what they added to the game to make it a gear grind? I dont visit the forums much and just play with some friends for fun. If I need to be grinding gear again Id rather quit playing now. I hate the gear grind, and equipment score BS. Please point me to the release notes or something on what changed…

Posted by: judgement.9842

judgement.9842

only reason I will continue to play is the fact that there is no subscription. Not giving them a penny on the gem store now.

Posted by: Mountain Man.7901

Mountain Man.7901

Can someone tell me what they added to the game to make it a gear grind? I dont visit the forums much and just play with some friends for fun. If I need to be grinding gear again Id rather quit playing now. I hate the gear grind, and equipment score BS. Please point me to the release notes or something on what changed…

Read this:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/linsey-murdock-unveils-new-high-end-ascended-gear/

Short version is that there is a new tier of more powerful equipment that will be required to tackle new end-game content, and acquiring that gear requires fairly significant time and effort.

Posted by: Merthax.5172

Merthax.5172

And to think I was foolish enough to play alt after alt and never worry about getting to 80 in a hurry even for WvW because I knew when I did get there it would be a simple matter to get my exotics and be on par with everyone.

Now I’ll never get to experience WvW as an on par player. I’m so sad. I should have power leveled my first character to 80 and geared her up in a hurry instead. So much for playing my way.

Exact same m.o. I too was looking forward to having several alts to be able to change up my style of play at the drop of a hat.

I do not want to be locked into playing one character.