Is this game really just about who tags more?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Metavahn.7293

Metavahn.7293

Its not the person healing, not the person tanking all the mobs, not the person doing a million damage per hit, no its the guy using the weakest attack in the game that has a huge aoe radius so you can recieve loot from everything that dies

Isent it time to change the way loot gets distributed? like if you do a certain amount of damage or heal people then all mobs in a large radius around you will still give you loot rights, be creative, because the sole reason most staff guardians are crying is because the mechanics of recieving loot in GW2 are broken.

Posted by: Abakk.9176

Abakk.9176

I’ve made a post a while ago that during the daily zergs the massive AOE on low level maps can prevent you from beeing eligible for participation credit in the event. Stuff goes down so fast that you can miss any tagging when short before events ending due to late arrival.

It happened to me a great number of times.

When there are a lot of people present the mobs should be increased in health instead of number. That way they’d be slower to kill and less of a loot piƱata.

That said, i don’t mind mass looting. I’m actually a fan off much loot

But i still think that is where the problem lies and the solution. To compensate, maybe the value of the loot could be upped a bit when a map is up for the events daily.

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Healing gives you credit fyi. Not that anyone ever needs healing when farming events. The reason most people try and do little damage to large groups of mobs when event farming is so that everyone can get a chance to tag. There really is no point doing a million damage per hit, because then you are just killing everything before the others get a chance to get credit.

Posted by: Shirlias.8104

Shirlias.8104

And then, no more bosses will be brought down, because players refused to stop dps to rezz other players

Posted by: Cyprien.4208

Cyprien.4208

AOE attacks can be best for tagging however single attacks do work well too just have to switch targets and know more when you hit the damage limit. Every class tends to have some type of aoe or multi hit as well.

A lot of players will limit them self so others can tag bosses etc… as well heal others when down I use runes of mercy to help and Rez others.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

What content are you doing where you need tanks and healers and where the DPS players are all about tagging massive numbers of mobs while doing minimal damage?

No joke, I am unaware of any such content in the game. In content where damage dealers can focus on low damage aoe for tagging, healers and tanks are largely useless and so not really contributing to victory.

Im not sure why players who are actively choosing to scale enxounters up while not actually contributing to victory should get rewards.

Posted by: wrathmagik.3518

wrathmagik.3518

I love my engineer flamethrower! AKA the loot vacuum B-)

Posted by: Trinnitty.8256

Trinnitty.8256

On trash mobs you got to tag for the most part or they die too fast if there is a large group of people farming. If I remember correctly anet changed participation to include rezzing, boons, and healing. Atleast it’ll work on larger events and champion creatures.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Tagging has largely been devalued outside of Central Tyria since trash mobs no longer drop much and the rewards are centered around compleition. For example, you’re not going to be hitting those HP sponge frogs in Tarir for loot.

HoT/LS maps I generally focus more on killing the boss as opposed to tagging things.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

The game is all about tagging only if you’ve already chosen to make it all about loot.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

HoT/LS maps I generally focus more on killing the boss as opposed to tagging things.

This problem is much bigger than simple tagging. The game doesn’t reward you for your effort at all. I can hit that boss once and get the same rewards as you. I can hardcore solo one of the lanes in the meta, but will ultimately fail because it’s a dead map and get nothing, vs I can taxi into a full one, AFK and get the max rewards.

This will never change because requiring actual contribution is too complex, can be unfair and discourages helping. As is however, it heavily rewards leeching, which increases the burden on others.

Posted by: tairneanach.8427

tairneanach.8427

I can hit that boss once and get the same rewards as you.

Unless they changed it, that’s not true. You do need to deal a certain amount of damage.

Posted by: GreyWolf.8670

GreyWolf.8670

This problem is much bigger than simple tagging. The game doesn’t reward you for your effort at all. I can hit that boss once and get the same rewards as you. I can hardcore solo one of the lanes in the meta, but will ultimately fail because it’s a dead map and get nothing, vs I can taxi into a full one, AFK and get the max rewards.

This will never change because requiring actual contribution is too complex, can be unfair and discourages helping. As is however, it heavily rewards leeching, which increases the burden on others.

Event rewards are based on participation. If you whack a boss then stop you’ll get something, but not much.