Karma Gifts -> Orphans. Horrific design.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Ashadow.6874

Ashadow.6874

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3wzk12/karma_gifts_traded_into_orphans_for_karma_very/

If you were going to put in a way to get Karma for old wintersday item trade-ins.

• Why are you limiting how many Gifts can be turned in at a time to 1 per Orphan.
  • Why are there only like 10 Orphans (perhaps there is more but point is still valid, there are hardly any and they are massively spread out.)

If the point was to allow us to earn Karma during Wintersday… why gate it to make it impossible to earn the Karma?

#SAB 2014 plx

#OccupySAB2014

(edited by Ashadow.6874)

Posted by: Ashadow.6874

Ashadow.6874

Do not use your Karma on this vendor to wrap presents. Here is why. (Because Anet is horrible at designing things.)

-

• 1 Wooden Dagger + 506 Karma = 1500 Karma when turned in to Orphan
  • Orphans accept only 1 Gift at a time (it’s been 20 minutes no reset on Orphan accepting new Gift.)
  • Total # of Orphans found in DR so far: 7 Orphans.

-

Watch the reset on Orphans is going to turn out to be 24 hours. So you can turn in around 7-10 or however many Orphans exist per day.
-

Thanks Anet…

#SAB 2014 plx

#OccupySAB2014

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

or… they’re awesome at designing things and it’s not intended to be a massively profitable and endless karma farm, but rather a way to remove excess wintersday stuff and karma from the game in an effort to increase the value of those items and karma, while simultaneously giving a reasonable temporary karma boost so players can more easily get the karma items they want for wintersday if they don’t already have massive unused stacks of karma.

You know.

Because maybe they have some bigger non-wintersday plans for karma, and they knew that affording the gift items was really cheap on the player base.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

Well i have over 1000 gifts to give….See you guys in 3 years.

Wonder if i can contact support and just have this nonsense reverted. I’d rather have the raw karma back sans the junk at this point.

Posted by: Arlee.7038

Arlee.7038

Also there are more than 10 Orphans. They said on Guild Chat Orphans can be found all over Tyria not just in Divinity’s Reach.

Posted by: nottsgman.8206

nottsgman.8206

there’s at least 15 in DR. I grabbed 15 there today, just running around. there might be more of them, but I stopped looking after I got the achievement.

70 ‘mains’ and waiting for more slots
| 61 Asura | 5 Charr | 2 Norn | 1 Human | 1 Sylvari |

Posted by: Lucent.8906

Lucent.8906

but rather a way to remove excess wintersday stuff and karma from the game in an effort to increase the value of those items and karma

Let’s face it, removing 10-20 per day(?) per player, and accounting for the fact that most players won’t even bother, means it’s not a big enough sink to affect their value at all. So basically it’s not going to do what it was meant to do.

(edited by Lucent.8906)

Posted by: warbignime.4610

warbignime.4610

There are at least 17 Orphans in DR, I know right Horrific design indeed, I mean it took me 10 whole minutes to find all those orphans, 10 WHOLE MINS OMG ANET HOW DARE YOU.

Some must fight so that all may be free.

Posted by: Renkencen.6127

Renkencen.6127

While I was able to find all 15 orphans require for the daily (1-2 orphans per disticts and the rest in Crown Pavillion) but still, how the heck am I suppose to trade 1000+ socks I got from getting the wintersday tree from the home instance since last Wintersday???!!! There’s nowhere to trade them all for the karma gift if there’s only 15 of them to trade per day!

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

but rather a way to remove excess wintersday stuff and karma from the game in an effort to increase the value of those items and karma

Let’s face it, removing 10-20 per day(?) per player, and accounting for the fact that most players won’t even bother, means it’s not a big enough sink to affect their value at all. So basically it’s not going to do what it was meant to do.

I’m guessing it’s more about the karma TBH.

Here’s a massive karma sink.

Don’t worry, here’s a temporary and cheap way to earn extra karma that’s kind of a pain.

The result: People with massive stacks of karma just buy the stuff. The people who need to earn the marks gift some orphans cheap stuff for a bump to afford that stuff.

The end result is less people with massive stacks of karma, but more people able to afford the wintersday karma items.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Posted by: Crunk n monkey.3749

Crunk n monkey.3749

There are 20 Orphans in DR. I started out at 250 wrapped gifts. After spending an hour running around DR, I had 230 left. And I probably ran around that place a good 3 or 4 times.

Gifts can be given to orphans around DR. I guess that also means outside of DR. Though I can’t think of very many orphans outside of DR. It’s not like you can go to Rata Sum or Hoelbrak and find another 20 human orphans standing around.

There needs to be a better timer on these orphans or at least make it where we can turn these in bulk. I shudder to the thought of how long it could take to get rid of stacks of Wrapped Gifts.

Ascended Phoenix [ASH] – Gates of Madness

Posted by: warbignime.4610

warbignime.4610

There are 20 Orphans in DR. I started out at 250 wrapped gifts. After spending an hour running around DR, I had 230 left. And I probably ran around that place a good 3 or 4 times.

Gifts can be given to orphans around DR. I guess that also means outside of DR. Though I can’t think of very many orphans outside of DR. It’s not like you can go to Rata Sum or Hoelbrak and find another 20 human orphans standing around.

There needs to be a better timer on these orphans or at least make it where we can turn these in bulk. I shudder to the thought of how long it could take to get rid of stacks of Wrapped Gifts.

Actually there are 24 found Orphan in DR, there is a thread on Reddit.

Some must fight so that all may be free.

Posted by: Aerinndis.2730

Aerinndis.2730

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3wzk12/karma_gifts_traded_into_orphans_for_karma_very/

If you were going to put in a way to get Karma for old wintersday item trade-ins.

• Why are you limiting how many Gifts can be turned in at a time to 1 per Orphan.
  • Why are there only like 10 Orphans (perhaps there is more but point is still valid, there are hardly any and they are massively spread out.)

If the point was to allow us to earn Karma during Wintersday… why gate it to make it impossible to earn the Karma?

I found beggers who will take gifts but they don’t give anything back so beware of the panhandlers!

I have over 5 million karma so this is a useless event for me…..

Posted by: Sthenith.5196

Sthenith.5196

Players have to understand that it is, in fact, a Karma sink. Do the event, spend some, gain some, get achievement(s) where possible, end event.
If you’re lucky, you might end up with something good, if not, you wasted your time, and probably money trying to get something out of it.

Same old, same old.

Posted by: KhouRiAS.7615

KhouRiAS.7615

haha – Anet has designed an event where the players wish there are more orphaned children.

• It’s the most wonderful time of the year- *

Posted by: Crunk n monkey.3749

Crunk n monkey.3749

I said it before. If you have millions of karma, I would honestly burn it by purchasing the Festive Bags of Materials and selling the mats on the TP.

Ascended Phoenix [ASH] – Gates of Madness

Posted by: Farming Flats.5370

Farming Flats.5370

Actually there are 24 found Orphan in DR, there is a thread on Reddit.

nop . i have at least 26 orphan locations memorized . i do the run on my 3 accounts
The right answer is 30 orphans total.

(edited by Farming Flats.5370)

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

If it were trivial to find orphans, then everyone would spend 1 karma to get 2 and if that was ANet’s goal, why not just give us the karma? Instead, they are offering a moderately amusing activity with a substantive reward: counts for daily, provides a karma-boosting item (with a pretty icon), and allows you to increase karma is small amounts.

Further, if all you had to do was dump all your gifts on one hapless orphan, everyone would complain about how boring that is.

I don’t think it’s the game’s most exciting pastime. I do think it’s a reasonable reward/time, without potentially destabilizing bits of the economy.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Charrbeque.8729

Charrbeque.8729

I don’t know about orphans being outside Divinity’s Reach, but it looks like there are 30 in DR.

Dulfy has a map showing their locations in DR. Happy gifting! http://dulfy.net/2015/12/16/gw2-donation-drive-orphan-locations-guide/

There’s something charming about rangers.

Posted by: Kentaine.4692

Kentaine.4692

Players have to understand that it is, in fact, a Karma sink. Do the event, spend some, gain some, get achievement(s) where possible, end event.
If you’re lucky, you might end up with something good, if not, you wasted your time, and probably money trying to get something out of it.

Same old, same old.

How is this a sink? Did you do any math or just decide it must be a sink?

I’m buying everything and making Karma bank.

15 wrapping papers : 7560
15 toy ‘x’ : 7560

15 orphans gives me (with consumables from wintersday presents) 27000 karma

Net Karma is 11880

To OP, if you want a never ending Wintersday Karma farm, hop in the bells. I get 1.6K for each song.

(edited by Kentaine.4692)

Posted by: Miss Lana Too.5794

Miss Lana Too.5794

I spend 504 karma per orphan.

I get 3360 karma back with boosters – per orphan.

That’s over 600% karma I’m getting back.

I see no issue here but user error.

To OP, if you want a never ending Wintersday Karma farm, hop in the bells. I get 1.6K for each song.

Yep. I’ve been getting up to 2160 per song, as long as I have the booster that – funnily enough – the orphan daily gives me. Unfortunately the karmic infusion doesn’t work there though.

45 characters, 20 level 80s, 11 impersonal story completions and counting.

(edited by Miss Lana Too.5794)