Legendary of choice for 1st place pvp tourney

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Travis the Terrible.4739

Travis the Terrible.4739

So I take it you all think that there shouldn’t be esports in any game. Because those players like in LoL win millions of dollars for winning a large tournament. Or should you be able to win millions of dollars for not being competitive and playing only the PvE part of the game? Should you win millions of dollars for completing the Call of Duty campaign? You guys are ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous. 5 players from the whole entire sPvP community get a chance at a legendary and people think it’s unfair? LOL

Don’t be to mean. They grew up in the era of everyone getting a trophy even if they lost.

Follow the darkness into the depths, it’s more fun than the light can provide.

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

At least the people who are winning this are winning based on merit/skill, rather than time/luck/grinding like they have the whole time.

So doing work has no merit now????#smh gg, young people

You call farming champ train for endless hours work? you realize people just bot it right?
There is no TRUE work.. I can watch movies and do homework while farming a champ train to get my legendary

So not only does work have no merit, neither does honest work I see. Ok, well… there are those of us whom actually DO NOT cheat the game. We actually are actively playing the content, not botting it. Love how the “hard core” player whine like children over passive play yet, passive is all good when it comes to making gold.

Anyway, I have no issues with a Legendary for first. I wish WvW would get even a fraction of this kind of reward.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Posted by: Locuz.2651

Locuz.2651

I wish WvW would get even a fraction of this kind of reward.

You get alot more gold, more lootbags, and a new series of really cool looking skins. Dont think you have anything to complain about.

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

I think it’d be more fair if a WvW was also privileged with something like that, but it’s WvW and yeah. :c

I ? Karkas.

Seven Star Stalker.1740

You get alot more gold, more lootbags, and a new series of really cool looking skins. Dont think you have anything to complain about.

That’s only on the tournaments.

Really, if you’re going to play WvW for profit, you’re doing it wrong. Aside from this tournament, WvW is pretty unrewarding as a whole.

I ? Karkas.

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

Yes, and a LOT of cost to go along with it too. Most probably aren’t even aware of it because others are picking up the tab.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Posted by: Vanthian.9267

Vanthian.9267

Are some of you people seriously complaining that Spvpers are finally getting some type of reward? Not to mention, you literally have to be the best at it to receive this reward.

So much hypocritical nonsense. At least they have to use skill to acquire their rewards. Swipe those credit cards faster guys.

Posted by: Shadowrainer.8321

Shadowrainer.8321

When I first seen a legendary was a 1st place reward, I was like what? Seriously? How over the top!

But then I realized how many hours people like 55 HP monks, Cheese Mode players (RIP), or the rank 70 players, who have dumped thousands of hours into the game, with no major shiny to gloat about except a finisher…wow.

MEANWHILE! Jimmy the Warrior who farmed the most utterly braindead content, that required absolutely no skill, effort, or pre-thought to it walks around in multiple gear sets, multiple legendaries with half of the total played time of the sort of people who actually stand a chance of wining this tournament.

I don’t want to be “that guy” but the high end PvP requires far more effort, and skill than standing in a corner slapping an npc.

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

Part 1)
Never seenbefore so much pathetic arrogant answers over an posting that has an other opinion about rewards, like in this thread..seriously get your self beloved noses out of the high thin air, maybe you can think then a bit clearer again …sheesh

1) Other players also have to do alot of things “they” don’t like to do.
Working on Legendary Weapons is a complex task and nothing that you just get put for basically free up your butts just for participating a few days in a tournament and winning it. The time/effort relationship is a completely different when you just win a legendary of choice, compared to working months over months on your legendary doing all kinds of things in the game (and surely among them also stuff that you don’t like, thats why alot of people kept complaining about having to do WvW exploration), from exploring the world to 100%, doing WvW, collecting lots of very rare and RNG based items and so on …
You can’t compare all this effort of doing alot of different things in the game, with just participating in a tournament successfuly. That are 2 absolutely completely different things.

Its somethign totally different, if you spent like 3000-5000 hours only in PvP doing nothign else, than just playing only 1 character and killing tons of players again and again in the same maps, compared to a player, who spent 3000-5000hours in all kinds of game modes and basically has experienced everything of the game to work on getting everything that is needed to receive a legendary weapon, what I personally respect far more, than getting put a cheap legendary basicsally for nothing as a reward into the butt and getting for its sell like 2500+ Gold …. with that this player, totally regardless of how many they are, be it 5 people, or be it 50, I don’t care.
A financial advantage ingame over others stays a financial advantage over others, regardless of how many people get rewarded. Its the principle, thats not ok here.

2) There are other ways to reward PvP players, than rewardign them instantly with the best equipment in the game that makes them instantly rich basically …

- Unique Finishing Moves
- Unique Back Piece Items (you remember the unique Bronze, Silver, Gold Rim Capes?)
- Unique Titles
- Statues of their Characters in like the Hearts of the Mists hall of Monuments -Style
ect pp.

Just cosmetical stuff, that shows what these people that won the tournament have done… but not something, that can give the players an insane amount of financial profit over other players by selling the tournament reward in the TP…

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Orpheal.8263

Part 2)

3) I act not as if PvP is some kind of piece of cake and that just everyone can win such kind of tournaments. All I did say is, thats it not ok, to put rewards into PvP, that give players insane financial advantages over others, like Legendary items would definetely do. Thats not the kind of rewards, that PvP players deserve at all over PvE Players…

Who the hell are people thinking that they are of a kind of elitist players, that they think, they deserve such kind of insane rewards for doing something in the game, that just requires only a different kind of “skill”, compared to a PvE playe,r whose method of obtainign the same item, also requires alot of skill and far more time, than just winning that item in a tournament??

Seriously, reduce this arrogance. Every player, regardless if now PvE player or PvP players deserves the same treatment.
If you believe its ok to just win the best items of the whole game by winning tournaments, oh boy, how deep has fallen “ESports” then since GW1 and getting in a tournament rewards for personal frofits in the game is “professional” – then this is the only real thing here, thats disgusting

Real professional ESports participants are in these tournaments just for the fun and the competition to prove their own gaming skills against others, not for the personal profits to win something, for that tons of other people have to grind their butts of basically maybe their whole life, due to the RNG gods not being good to them.

As said, there are more then enough ways to reward PvPers properly with cosmetical unique rewards, without there being any need to give them with the rewards financial advantages ingame.

Because its basically the same like gifting them directly with 2500 Gold as rewards for winnign the tournament directly, only that this would be far worser, as generatign that money would harm the game economy, while giving them free legendaries of their choice, that moves money, that is already in the game from one account to another over the TP.

4) Those arrogant snobs, who think, legendaries of pve are worthless and meaningless compared to one, that is won by doing a tournament shouldn’t think of of PvE/WvWers, that we are hating, thats nonsense
I’m not complaining about these rewards, because IÄm not granting Pvps to get legendary weapons too.
They shall have as many legendaries, as they wish, I don’t care, but if they get them, then thex should functionate as unsellable accountbound SKINS

Thats a huge difference and rewards PvPs still more than enough for their gaming skills.

EoM.

Posted by: daemon.1387

daemon.1387

I don’t really care that PvPers get legendary for winning first place. They probably deserve it if they win.

But to quell all the whiners, maybe ANet should make some new legendary skins that can ONLY be obtained through winning PvP.

Posted by: cranked.3812

cranked.3812

You all have been complaining for ages about a new way to obtain a legendary that actually requires skill rather than mindless farming and now you got it and you are complaining because you aren’t good enough at the game. Give me a break

I think this pretty much sums it up right here.

Seven Star Stalker.1740

So I take it you all think that there shouldn’t be esports in any game. Because those players like in LoL win millions of dollars for winning a large tournament. Or should you be able to win millions of dollars for not being competitive and playing only the PvE part of the game? Should you win millions of dollars for completing the Call of Duty campaign? You guys are ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous. 5 players from the whole entire sPvP community get a chance at a legendary and people think it’s unfair? LOL.

You all have been complaining for ages about a new way to obtain a legendary that actually requires skill rather than mindless farming and now you got it and you are complaining because you aren’t good enough at the game. Give me a break

The first I’m so and so about, but the last part you said is laughable. You, me and the rest of the forums both know well enough that that’s not what people have been referring to. Heck, unless you’ve forgotten, it’s the issue with precursors more so than the rest of the legendary acquisition.

I ? Karkas.

Locuz.2651

Seriously, reduce this arrogance. Every player, regardless if now PvE player or PvP players deserves the same treatment.

Youre pretending as if pvp players got the same kind of attention as pve players. As if they are and where rewarded equaly. As if Anet dedicated as much dev time/resources on PvE as they did on PvP. We both know the direct opposite is true.

A lot of pvp players where lured in with the promise that anet would focus on a lot of quality, esports worthy content. Its one of the main reasons what got me hyped and what made me decide to buy this game. It never happened.

Some players pvped for 4000-5000 hours and the only reward they got is a phoenix finisher. While PvEers with the same dedication would end up with 1000s of gold which is exchangable for gems aswell (lets not forget that) and multiple legendaries.

So I guess your euros/dollars are worth more than mine. Right? Youre type of content is worth more than mine right?

So lets not start talking about arrogance. Well i guess egotism would be a term that is better suited in this situation.

(edited by Locuz.2651)

Posted by: Coldtart.4785

Coldtart.4785

Are people in this thread seriously trying to say that the time investment required to obtain a legendary is in any way comparable to the investment of the people that have a serious shot at winning this tournament? One does not simply win a world championship. Nobody here is just participating for a few days and winning a tournament. Legendaries can be gotten with about 200 hours of just watching the game playing itself. Even the players that are going to get humiliated in the first round of this tournament will have spent over 2000 hours of playing pvp.

If we were to compare the dedication of someone with one legendary vs a player from the team that wins this tournament, the legendary holder wouldn’t even measure up to the tournament winner’s ankles. Additionally, as this reward is only being issued to the best team in the world, these will be the only legendaries in the entirety of GW2 that actually deserve the title of legendary.

Posted by: SkiTz.4590

SkiTz.4590

snip

Lol wow, i’m shocked at how you actually believe this is going to hurt the “game economy”

you realize PvE bugs/exploits have caused waaay more damage to the economy than 5 ppl getting free legendaries??

TP flippers make thousands of gold a week.

Why are you so bent out of shape over this??

I seriously hope they anet gives them even more legendaries just to rustle you’re jimmies some more… get over yourself

This tourney requires ACTUAL SKILL and TEAMWORK to win…. theres thousands of PvE players that can go out and grind like zombies at champ trains and get a freaking legendary. They are NOT that special period. Their are better skins out there anyways lol.

PvP players should get something way more unique imo than a crappy legendary.
The PvE in this game is absolutely some of the easiest i’ve ever played in an MMO. Its built for extreme casuals and requires very little competence to excel at.

Awarding skill is something this game should have done a long time ago instead of this casual lala land zerg/get carried your way to victory

(edited by SkiTz.4590)

Posted by: Precursor.3845

Precursor.3845

IM QUITTING GW2 BECAUSE OF THIS !!!! JUST OUTRAGEOUS!!!!!

Posted by: stobes.9254

stobes.9254

Lol the drama is real. If youre all so upset because of how “easy” it will be for pvpers to get a legendary, then form a team and see how easy it will be for you. Whoever wins deserves it. Doesnt matter if it took them less time, its going to be a LOT more challenging than getting one in pve. Theyre not competing in a kitteng hotjoin here, its a tournament with the best pvpers. Some of you need to stop being so emotionally attached to this game.

Pandaz

Posted by: RockSteady.7123

RockSteady.7123

I’ll just form a squad of level 70 fractal dungeon masters and show these pvp’ers who’s boss. Pfft, this will be easy.

Posted by: Precursor.3845

Precursor.3845

Fractals do take more skill then “pvp matches” so thats prob a good idea

Posted by: IVIUIEI.9631

IVIUIEI.9631

No one cares.

vvuevv

Seven Star Stalker.1740

No one cares.

I think he was making a joke about people who actually react like that >>;

I ? Karkas.

Posted by: Harbinger.8637

Harbinger.8637

I can’t believe some people are actually complaining about it. I have multiple legendaries and also +60r in pvp, so I know that amount of dedication that goes into both of these. People always complain about how they want legendaries to mean something, this shows who is the best in the tourney.

It’s an open tourney, anyone can join. Nothing is stopping you from making a team, and competing. I’d actually love to see more team playing.

The top team definitely deserves it.

Guardian WvW Guide!
Heavens Rage

Locuz.2651

A financial advantage ingame over others stays a financial advantage over others, regardless of how many people get rewarded. Its the principle, thats not ok here.

You mean like the financial disadvantage of being a PvPer for the last 1.5 years? Here is a nice example of the reward chest rank 71. Where going from 70-71 means earning 450.000 rank points. Thats a couple of weeks of doing rated games … and this is what you get as reward for it:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/Rank-71-Awards/first#post3794557

(edited by Locuz.2651)

Posted by: Vargamonth.2047

Vargamonth.2047

This thread is quite funny, I must admit it.

I honestly think they shouldn’t be rewarding winners with a Legendary. Not because it’s unfair for the people who have got it the regular way, but because of what it actually represents.
It would be much better to give them some exclusive cool skin that, unlike a Legendary, could mean something for the playerbase that values what they do (or give them a bunch of money so they can buy the Legendary if they want, which I doubt). To each his own.

Seven Star Stalker.1740

This thread is quite funny, I must admit it.

I honestly think they shouldn’t be rewarding winners with a Legendary. Not because it’s unfair for the people who have got it the regular way, but because of what it actually represents.
It would be much better to give them some exclusive cool skin that, unlike a Legendary, could mean something for the playerbase that values what they do (or give them a bunch of money so they can buy the Legendary if they want, which I doubt). To each his own.

This.

I mean, You’re five people that got this skin. Can you be more exclusive than that..?

I ? Karkas.

Orpheal.8263

snip

Lol wow, i’m shocked at how you actually believe this is going to hurt the “game economy”

you realize PvE bugs/exploits have caused waaay more damage to the economy than 5 ppl getting free legendaries??

TP flippers make thousands of gold a week.

Why are you so bent out of shape over this??

I seriously hope they anet gives them even more legendaries just to rustle you’re jimmies some more… get over yourself

This tourney requires ACTUAL SKILL and TEAMWORK to win…. theres thousands of PvE players that can go out and grind like zombies at champ trains and get a freaking legendary. They are NOT that special period. Their are better skins out there anyways lol.

PvP players should get something way more unique imo than a crappy legendary.
The PvE in this game is absolutely some of the easiest i’ve ever played in an MMO. Its built for extreme casuals and requires very little competence to excel at.

Awarding skill is something this game should have done a long time ago instead of this casual lala land zerg/get carried your way to victory

If you believe the opposite, then you should have absolutely no problem with it, if Anet would change the rewards into legendary unsellable accountbound skins, right ?

Posted by: bOgz.7263

bOgz.7263

Im surprised they are giving away PVE rewards to SPVP players. I mean they have separate sets of gears, trinkets etc. AFAIK they cant use legendaries in pvp. The rewards doesnt suit the event.

Anyway as early as now, I would like to congratulate whoever will win in the tournament. Get to WvW and pvp with your legendary.

Posted by: Esmee.1067

Esmee.1067

Like bOgz said, it’s a PvE reward for a PvP tournement, that’s the only thing I find odd. Being the top 5 players in a PvP-tournement deserves something more unique and more PvP-like such as GW1 had gold/silver/bronze. I just find it lazy that they didn’t make an unique reward.

I hope the winners are happy with the Legendary or gold nonetheless and an early congratulations from me!

Posted by: Distaste.4801

Distaste.4801

Lol the drama is real. If youre all so upset because of how “easy” it will be for pvpers to get a legendary, then form a team and see how easy it will be for you. Whoever wins deserves it. Doesnt matter if it took them less time, its going to be a LOT more challenging than getting one in pve. Theyre not competing in a kitteng hotjoin here, its a tournament with the best pvpers. Some of you need to stop being so emotionally attached to this game.

This problem is that it incentives one portion of the game as greater than the rest. I agree the winners should be rewarded with something awesome, but not something that tons of other people in other areas of the game have put in 1500+ hours to obtain and STILL haven’t gotten even the precursor. I realize that SPvP takes a certain set of skills and dedication, but so does WvW and fractals. By giving out legendaries in a SPvP match they are effectively saying that all other facets of the game are worthless compared to SPvP. Heck in PvE you have like a 1% chance of getting an ascended item. The people who have killed the 3 wurms should at the very least get a precursor but instead it’s junk loot and some coin.

I know why they are doing it though. It’s purely to get more people into SPvP in an attempt to make it an Esport. The problem with that is as soon as the event is over the “new” people will just go back to ignoring it. If they actually put some effort into actually balancing things and producing some new game modes it might actually take off. I’d love to play with my PvE character in different matches like all the other MMO’s and earn some unique skins. SPvP is just disjointed from the rest of the game, if it doesn’t advance MY character in some fashion(skins/items) there isn’t much point doing it.

I wish they would convert SPvP into regular MMO battlegrounds that people can queue for. Then produce a completely separate F2P game that is just SPvP with tons of skins, of course GW2 players can still play it.

Posted by: danielrjones.8759

danielrjones.8759

Really like this idea, I know I will never have a chance at it. But certainly feel those who have spent 1000’s of hours in pvp learning this aspect of the game deserve it.

I didn’t read all the complaints on this thread. Seen some say its not fair they should be able to get this reward in such a short amount of time.

If you truly believe they can get this reward in such a short amount of time that clearly means you have plenty of time to go to pvp learn what they know and take it from them. Then you will quickly find out your several thousand hours behind on pvp to snatch it up.

If anything they should give them a pick from the new skins they are suppose to be working on. Make them really stick out from the crowd.

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

It’s still 5 people who are getting a weapon that symbolizes (or is supposed to symbolize) mastery of ALL aspects of the game….5 people who may or may not have ever stepped outside of PvP.

Yeah because right now legendaries symbolize mastery of all aspects of the game. Like I don’t know, train-farming and all the related and very complex skillsets that you need for it to work.

These forums I swear.

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

Posted by: GonzoNeo.4965

GonzoNeo.4965

Its funny to people react “Hey they win a Legendary for win a EU/NA Continent Tournament” its no fair.

Seriulsy i have 2 legendaries, and almost the third one complete, and i think that is totally fair, is 1000X times most hard be the best Eu/Na Team to win this tournament that farm a legendary.

I dont knot if people only read the part of “win a legendary” and think that this is a nourmal tournament that people playing a 1 week of PVP could win or they give legendaries every week or something.

Seven Star Stalker.1740

It’s still 5 people who are getting a weapon that symbolizes (or is supposed to symbolize) mastery of ALL aspects of the game….5 people who may or may not have ever stepped outside of PvP.

Yeah because right now legendaries symbolize mastery of all aspects of the game. Like I don’t know, train-farming and all the related and very complex skillsets that you need for it to work.

These forums I swear.

Except what he said is true, and the game backs it up. You need to run dungeons, an aspect of the game, you need to have luck which is a nuisance but pretty much the whole game in a can, you need to do WvW which is another aspect of the game, and then you need to craft a component or two.

The only thing you don’t need to do is PVP to get a legendary, but PVP itself is segmented from the game as a whole on a major level.

So realistically it’s not a false statement.

I ? Karkas.

Posted by: Hyperion.6027

Hyperion.6027

{part 1/2}
Thanks for your posts, Orpheal.8263. You made me want to reply so badly, that I’m posting here after months of absence from the game. Thankfully, I still follow developments in PvP and PvE closely, so let’s challenge some of your points, shall we?

TL;DR: Winners of the tourney have played at least as many different aspects of sPvP as a PvE’er has played different aspects of PvE + the rewards are not financially unfair.

Let’s start with:

1) Other players also have to do alot of things “they” don’t like to do.
Working on Legendary Weapons is a complex task and nothing that you just get put for basically free up your butts just for participating a few days in a tournament and winning it. The time/effort relationship is a completely different when you just win a legendary of choice, compared to working months over months on your legendary doing all kinds of things in the game

I think we agree that the people who win these legendaries have indeed spent at least as much time playing the PvP side of GW2 as a PvE’er with at least 1 legendary has played “all kinds of things in the game”. Therefore, they have played through probably all the metas and systems that changed in PVP since the game released (and even before that).

sPvP is not just ONE “thing” in the game. Sorry to break it to you all, but there is no chance on earth a winner of this tourney has played one profession, one build, one kind of team matchup, one map, used the same two weapon sets or used the same strategy and tactics till the time he/she won a legendary.

sPvP has been game of its own since launch, both in design and implementation (you didn’t have to sPvP to get your legendary, did you? You didn’t even have the same equipment setup, or skills- in some cases)

And I’m being very realistic here: To win, you have to do all kinds of things in the game, including stuff you don’t like. I can easily compare getting a precursor, doing map exploration, gathering mats, tirelessly bashing on doors in WvW and farming karma to learning to play against(and with) all other professions in the game, effectively using strategy and tactics based on team comps/map/experience lvl of the opponent, finding and maintaining a winning team and adapting to meta changes. And I know * I * didn’t like doing all that (sheesh!).

And all of this while facing human opponents, and NOT exploitable sub-optimal AI. Except the petting zoo (oops you got me ), but even then there’s no comparison to PvE levels of difficulty, especially in high-end sPvP. Not to mention that, while a big portion of the content can be done solo in PvE, in sPvP you do not have that luxury.

I’m not being elitist here, I’m being realistic. We are talking about the winners of the tourney, therefore some of the best players in sPvP. All the above are required.

Do you still think the level of effort/time invested is that much different for the end result (legendary)?

{end part 1}

(edited by Hyperion.6027)

Posted by: Hyperion.6027

Hyperion.6027

{part 2/2}
And if you do, let’s move on to …

Indeed, getting a sellable legendary for successfully performing a task in about 20 “work”-hours is around 1000000% more efficient than anything else you can do in GW2 for the same amount of time invested. Agreed. I’m sold.

But we’re not really looking at the big picture, are we? See, this was your experience in PvE, up to the point where you got your legendary:
The early days: “HA! Level up! More skill points!” | “Wow, that’s a cool drop!” | “Heeey we just defeated the most difficult dungeon ever! Died like 50 times, but still made it – thanks guild! And now I have this cool armor set to show off for it

The later days: “Legendary is so difficult, but I managed to do map completion! 1 down, 5 to go!” | “Holy smokes, I have enough to make the gift of fortune! 2 down!” | “Pfff, this is so grindy …”

The future: “Haha behold my legendary, folks! And did you hear I’ll be able to show it off in the mists soon? I’ll teach these fellas to envy the fruit of my hard work”

You have progression. You have goals. You can have fun. And then there’s the grindy part. You get to the legendary after hours upon hours of rigorous (and tedious) work. Getting it is the culmination of your efforts, and you are rewarded. But, sPVP has had:
- Little to no progression
- Our goals (achievements) were/still are badly implemented, to the point of someone being r70 without a marauder title (?!)
- Very hard to get into at first and especially not fun until you’ve committed a huge investment (compared to PvE)
- a single game mode, and skins not even worth the effort (you could get them all from dungeons after a couple of days)
- And since we’re talking about tournament winners, zero meaningful progression while honing your skills to win a tournament. Which usually takes months.

The level of commitment and psychological wear is huge and comparable to PvE. I didn’t make it and quit a few months back (serves me right!)

As for financial incentives, I invite the most rigorous of PvE’ers to tell us how much value they’ve accumulated since launch (liquidize your assets!), and calculate the average monthly gold gain up to this day. I am willing to bet that none of the winners of this tourney will even come close, even if they were given 2 legendaries for winning, and a 3rd one just for participation.

For these reasons, I believe a legendary at the end of that journey is at least a fair financial incentive, especially compared to the effort and time invested in PvE.

And you know what? Even if it was unfair, I think necessary. Perhaps the only feasible thing for ANet to promote sPvP (due to lack of resources to implement your suggestions – although they are golden)
So roll with the punches

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

These forums I swear.

Except what he said is true, and the game backs it up. You need to run dungeons, an aspect of the game, you need to have luck which is a nuisance but pretty much the whole game in a can, you need to do WvW which is another aspect of the game, and then you need to craft a component or two.

The only thing you don’t need to do is PVP to get a legendary, but PVP itself is segmented from the game as a whole on a major level.

Except it’s not, and you are “forgetting” some details

Realistically speaking:

1) You need 500 tokens of a single dungeon per legendary weapon. That’s far from “mastering” dungeons. That’s like, doing less then 10 times the same dungeon. Impressive isn’kitten

2) You need 500 Badges of Honor per legendary weapon. The smallest achievement chest gives you 100 badges. If my math is correct, as soon as a new account hits 2000 achievement points (few months of playing?), the player in question has enough for a legendary. So this requirement is easily met by doing only PvEasy, as seen with some of my legendary-bearing guildmates that have never set foot in WvW. Impressive again.

3) These easy-peasy requirements that pale in comparison to the massive gold grind you need for the different gifts are skippable with even more gold-grind. The “mastery-showing” legendary the guy next to you is proudly wielding might as well have been bought with a credit card from the TP

If I were one of the best EU/NA PvP players (and I’m very far from it) I’d be insulted to receive a gift that any bot can get. Not the other way around, like it’s happening in this thread, lol.

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

Posted by: Lux.7169

Lux.7169

Even the players that are going to get humiliated in the first round of this tournament will have spent over 2000 hours of playing pvp.

Exactly, almost everyone I am teaming with has over 3,500 hours in pvp (I have 4,200) and we have no chance of beating the top NA teams but we are still entering just to be a part of the experience and enjoy ourselves. I think for players outside of our pvp realm it’s hard for them to fathom how difficult and unforgiving the system is.

[SoF]

Posted by: Kaos.9162

Kaos.9162

Honestly, I think it would be better if they made a full set of new legendaries, and only gave them out to the winners of tournaments like this. It would give them meaning, but the amount of QQ on the forums would be insane.

Posted by: Lux.7169

Lux.7169

Honestly, I think it would be better if they made a full set of new legendaries, and only gave them out to the winners of tournaments like this. It would give them meaning, but the amount of QQ on the forums would be insane.

Could you imagine the outrage? People seem mad now but oh man I but they would be furious, especially if we could sell them on the TP.

Then you’d have pve players literally begging and crying for pvp’ers to get legendaries as a prize and make the new unique skins accessible to ‘all’ players.

This is why we can’t have nice things.

[SoF]

Posted by: Fuji.6284

Fuji.6284

Ok ok. So PvP gets one of the best reward ever in the game. There’s no other reward in either PvE or WvW that has ever come close to this. It’s nice but pretty ridiculous when you think about it. I can probably understand a choice of a precursor for first place but just getting the legendary itself is overwhelming disappointing for people who don’t PvP.

(edited by Fuji.6284)

Seven Star Stalker.1740

These forums I swear.

Except it’s not, and you are “forgetting” some details

Realistically speaking:

1) You need 500 tokens of a single dungeon per legendary weapon. That’s far from “mastering” dungeons. That’s like, doing less then 10 times the same dungeon. Impressive isn’kitten

2) You need 500 Badges of Honor per legendary weapon. The smallest achievement chest gives you 100 badges. If my math is correct, as soon as a new account hits 2000 achievement points (few months of playing?), the player in question has enough for a legendary. So this requirement is easily met by doing only PvEasy, as seen with some of my legendary-bearing guildmates that have never set foot in WvW. Impressive again.

3) These easy-peasy requirements that pale in comparison to the massive gold grind you need for the different gifts are skippable with even more gold-grind. The “mastery-showing” legendary the guy next to you is proudly wielding might as well have been bought with a credit card from the TP

If I were one of the best EU/NA PvP players (and I’m very far from it) I’d be insulted to receive a gift that any bot can get. Not the other way around, like it’s happening in this thread, lol.

You completely missed the point by focussing on numbers. /Facepalm.

But really, on your last point, if that’s the case than I would say what someone else did – Give each place a unique skin for that team. And make it a good skin. I don’t think you can be more exclusive than being 1 of 5 people who got a unique skin that can never be acquired again. Meanwhile, everyone and their mother will be swinging their Twilights, Frostfangs and Moots.

Oh, and they’re TP safe.

I ? Karkas.

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

This thread is awesome. Janitor whining that golf pro have better car and bigger house.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

Posted by: Vargamonth.2047

Vargamonth.2047

Ok ok. So PvP gets one of the best reward ever in the game. There’s no other reward in either PvE or WvW that has ever come close to this. It’s nice but pretty ridiculous when you think about it. I can probably understand a choice of a precursor for first place but just getting the legendary itself is overwhelming disappointing for people who don’t PvP.

People shouldn’t be disappointed just because they don’t PvP. It’s not a reward for sPvP players, but fot the best NA/EU active teams.
The PvE equivalent would be something like giving it to the group that achieves the fastest completion for an Urban-Cliffside-Dredge-MaiTrin lvl50 fractal series. The majority of the PvE playerbase, even if they played fractals, could not even dream on winning it.

Posted by: IVIUIEI.9631

IVIUIEI.9631

No one cares.

I think he was making a joke about people who actually react like that >>;

And joke he got

vvuevv

Posted by: Ritt.3069

Ritt.3069

I completely agree with you about the buying them off the TP making those of us that work for it insignificant too…..which is why they should have been account bound when the game launched.

And how is the current means of obtaining one any better? One could obtain one of these “legendary” weapons without ever stepping into the world of PvP. What was that, mastery of ALL aspects of the game? And don’t even go there comparing WvW into PvP. WvW is just casual PvP on steroids in terms of actual PvP involved.

I’m all in for a variety of ways of achieving a legendary. PvP has barely got any love in terms of rewards, so this is a good change, even if it’s only for a marginal of people. Besides, actually excelling in terms of skill and team coordination against the best of the best certainly sounds more legendary to me than mindless mobbing against pve champs for hundreds of hours.

I do agree, however, that legendaries should be account bound. At least if you buy a precursor you still have to pass the rite of completing the legendary.

TL;DR An incredibly small marginal of PvP players getting a legendary won’t invalidate the efforts of the masses that play PvE.

William Van Dine/Aria Entreri/Weaver of the Dream
Thousand Lakes Alliance [TLA], Desolation
4 Champion titles, solo/duoq Legend, best old LB rank 64.

(edited by Ritt.3069)

Orpheal.8263

Rym’s postign is again the perfect example for what a kind of disgusting arrogance alot of PvP’ers have. (not all, but really alot to be more precise)
Most of them think they are so superior, really Rym.. grow up!

Your time efforts are absolutely 0 more worth, than the time efforts of a PvE Player on obtaining a legendary.

The same thing could a very experienced PvE Fractal50+ player for sure say over any PvP player, that hasn’t played until today any Fractals at all and has 0 Experience with the Game Mode.
The same does it look, when experienced PvP’er hold their arrogant noses up into the air, when they talk over PvE’s, that haven’t played Pvp until today.
Its natural, that these kind of players are alot better in what they do, because they have more experience in it what they do in the game by playing their preferred playstyle.

@ Hyperion: By reading your posting I really start to believe, that ANet did just choose out legendaries as rewards, because it was clearly the 100% most lazy and quickest makeable thign for them with 0 Effort to add as rewards, because we talk here naturally about somethign, thatalready exists, where naturalyl my suggestions would have meant more effort and required ressources for them to give PvPs such alot better NON-TP able cosmetical rewards, which should be the kind of rewards, that should be everywhere in the game ESSENTIAL.
That was also the spirit of GW1, that rewards are cosmetical, that the whole game is based on cosmetical stuff and gives not financial rewards over other players ingame.

Thats why in GW1 theere were either real money prices or just cosmetical rewards like receiving Bronze/Silver/Gold rims for the Guild Capes to have something thats cosmetical and unique to show off, that they did something special in the game, what most other players did not…

Thats why I say, I’m absolutely ok with it, that PvPers should get rewarded with Precursor7legendary Weapon Skins.
The freakign only thing that disturbs me alot is that this crap would be sellable in the TP.

The god stupid solution to make instantly all PvE complainers silent is so simple, by making finally, what also alot of PvE’ers self are wishing since the existance of legendaries, that these items need to become finally accountbound and unsellable.

Anet would make both sides happy with this change. They’d just hit two birds with one stone.

It just irritates me, that ANet self seems not to be able to come up with that brilliant idea, that again first the community has to make some huge negative backlash first, before they maybe change something, that should have been changed already ages ago.

With this tourny startign so soon and the Feature Patch being so near.
Would it be so freaking hard to change on the 15th April with the Feature Patch also legendary equipment to accountbound ??
I guess not, its just a super simple change in the item code that lets the game treat these items differently and anet removing those then now accountbound items from the TP. More it isn’t.

However, my hope is still up, because theres an yet unreveiled point in the feature patch list about accountbound thigns in the game, that we will see on the 27th March!!
Really, ANet, if you read this thread so far, anyone of you Devs, include them with the Blo,g make legendaries accountbound.
Don’t let that blogpost be only about assumingly Dyes, and W-Exp. include legendaries with your plans and everyone would be happy !!

Posted by: holodoc.5748

holodoc.5748

No offense to whoever came up with this idea but in my honest opinion its very bad and not very thoroughly thought through. The winners should not be awarded with general stuff like legendary weapons or precursors but uniquely designed weapons which will be obtainable only through this tournament. What unique recognition does a legendary weapon have when every fifth person encountered on more populated servers already has a legendary. Make the winners distinguishable by awarding them with weapons which are not already in the game – even if its a Wintersday wooden sword skin glowing with a unique color indicating which place the player won. Or even better a special finisher which will display a distinctive animation for every place won (its not like you don’t already have a ton of finishers in the gem shop). Make the people want to participate just for the sole purpose of making them distinguishable from the crowd.

As for the rest of the prize, give them a fair amount of gold or gems with which people can actually choose what they want to buy. I.e. 1000g for every player that won the first place, 800g for second etc.

Posted by: echo.2053

echo.2053

Lol so much cancer in so few number of pages.

Instantly rich lulz it costs 125 gold to list in the first place at 2500. They’ll spend a month grinding for just the listing fee gold ( because 15 g a day is soooo much more efficient then pve) and then wait for some pve hero to swipe his cc months later…… Cuz instant.

So what the kitten ever if 5 spvp players become rich. What then? * In a mocking voice* well then they pay 20 gold for armour that we pvers effortless get for free. They then play a salvage rng game I’m hope for a token to then play the mf rng game for a weapon that pvers yet again only need to pay 3G to buy. Spvpers have so much favoritism in this game /mocking

That being said I’m against this idea because alot of them don’t care about legendaries. I’d rather the winners be given the choice to design their own weapon…… But sadly we all know how that would end with current armours being re released .

Ending note: lol all these complainers complaining about a reward yet they would not hesitate for a second to accept one if it was in game mailed to them. They don’t mean a kitten thing.

Lol people giving up and complaining before the sign ups have even opened up. Winning a measly tourney has got to be easier then the soul crushing pve requirements right?

Bender the offender – Proud violator of 17 safe spaces –

(edited by echo.2053)

Posted by: Steel Fenrir.2791

Steel Fenrir.2791

Make them work for that Legendary. A group of people could game this tournament. Those in charge should be wary of this.