List of Paid GW2 Influencers?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

Q:

Hey all. Is there somewhere I can find a list of GW2 Influencers that are paid by ArenaNet? Is there any transparency with that at all? Does ArenaNet provide info as to who has been paid to do content so a person can differentiate between sponsored promotion and created content that isn’t backed by ArenaNet dollars?

Thanks in advance for any links or officially sanctioned lists showing who is paid to influence or promote and who just loves the game and wants to provide objective criticism.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

A:

Anet knows full well that if folks like Woodenpotatoes or Dulfy talk, their customers listen – so I don’t personally take offense to them getting access to content a day or two in advance so we can get the tl;dr version more quickly. In comparison, would it be considered improper for a well known movie critic to receive an advance copy of a new film for review, even if the critic was not being directly paid by the studio?

/cinematic

I don’t think it is things like early access the OP is talking about. Let’s look at it like this.

Say there is a game, we’ll call it Not New World produced by Not Amazon Gaming. You start making videos about the game or streaming on Twitch talking about how awesome the game is. Because you provide a lot of online content you are invited to be a content partner and by doing so Not Amazon Gaming gives you a special link to use. Every time someone follows that link and buys Not New World you get $5.

Not New World releases an expansion and as a content creator with a lot of followers maybe you really don’t like it for the most part. What are you going to do? If you talk about how bad it is and why you don’t like it, you won’t generate sales from referrals. However, if you highlight the few good things you found in it, add a bit of hype, and maybe talk about how much potential it has you may generate sales.

So you are either going to hinder your potential revenue through referrals by being honest or your going to try to spin it in the best way possible to continue to earn referrals.

I think this is the main thing the OP is looking for. Content creators that may not be biased by potential revenue. I’m not saying that all the GW2 partners are biased based only on referral revenue but you have to look at it honestly. Most of the top gaming streamers/Youtubers/content creators are not doing it just for fun or to be nice. They are making money off their efforts which affords them the time to make all those videos, guides etc. That of course will come with a bit of bias. I can’t blame them for that because who doesn’t like making money off their efforts? It’s business after all. It’s just that a lot of their viewers don’t even notice it because they don’t know what a referral code looks like or what it means.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

I’m not sure what you mean by “influencers”, do you mean media promotion?

If so, ANet has regularly has banner advertisements running on various sites and of course makes promotional sites and videos of their own for most everything they do. But from what I’ve seen, they do not usually pay anyone for interviews or reviews of their content.

Dulfy and Woodenpotatoes, for example, are the two biggest promoters of GW2 and neither of them are on ANets payroll.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

I don’t think there are any. If there were, it’s not publically listed and I doubt the vbloggers would admit to it otherwise they’d lose subscribers.

Posted by: Chyanne Waters.8719

Chyanne Waters.8719

Anyone can be an Anet promoter using this if they would like

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/media/asset-kit/

Iason Evan.3806

Thanks for the responses. The reason why I’d like to see some transparency with this stuff is that with the next expansion promotion, I’d like to know which content creators and/or video game websites are receiving funds for promoting this game from ArenaNet and who likes the game but isn’t being paid and just want to give the public an objective opinion as to what they think about it. I’ve noticed with MMOs it’s better to look at opinions from people that actually like MMOs than it is to look to the regular video game websites I usually frequent for reviews because it takes someone who likes the MMO genre to give the most educated opinion.

Influencers have become a real issue. They don’t have to say they are paid and a lot of times make it look like they are being unbiased which is terrible. I hate having to be this cynical, but there are some really insidious practices with game companies paying content creators to promote their games without any transparency that they are doing that. I am NOT saying ArenaNet does this. I am merely wondering IF ArenaNet does this and if so, do they provide transparency about whether or not they pay influencers, promoters, and/or content creators. Would be nice to see some above board transparency in the industry.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

For expansion reviews, you can assume that anyone pushing a referral link is more likely to put a positive spin on things, since they get a 10% cut if you buy it through them.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

There was, before the release of HoT, a list of affiliates with referral links that pay a bounty for each paid and even P4F account opened with those links. But those most were long time GW2 content creators, YouTube or streaming, who already devoted quite a bit of their coverage to GW and GW2.

I wouldn’t say they were influencers, more devoted fans with pre-existing communities that ANet provided a means for them to get a cash thank you, amount determined by their followers, rather than just a T-shirt or fancy night light.

I would list the ones I know but I’m getting a vibe from the OP that they are compiling a list for a witch hunt, especially anyone who ever says anything positive about the game.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Any criticism provided is subjective, not objective, regardless of the critic’s payment status.

Posted by: MashMash.1645

MashMash.1645

Do Anet directly pay content creators in that way? Not sure.

That being said, I don’t think it’s unreasonable for those content creators or ‘influencers’ that are financially benefiting from selling the game via their media sites be required to disclose that.

Look at the problems non disclosure created on YouTube recently. Not sure we need a list of them, but they should definitely be required as part of any agreement to promote the game, to disclose clearly that they are making money off of their relationship with Anet.

I have noticed many put it in the description, but no where else. And who reads the descriptions? Exactly.

Pre-Ordered HoT | Recently started to get what I paid for – may spend $$$

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

That being said, I don’t think it’s unreasonable for those content creators or ‘influencers’ that are financially benefiting from selling the game via their media sites be required to disclose that.

Look at the problems non disclosure created on YouTube recently. Not sure we need a list of them, but they should definitely be required as part of any agreement to promote the game, to disclose clearly that they are making money off of their relationship with Anet.

I have noticed many put it in the description, but no where else. And who reads the descriptions? Exactly.

Just wondering…where else would the You-tube content creators put the notice? Most don’t post, or rarely post, on the forums.

I know WP has a link for purchasing the game, and I also know he has stated that ArenaNet does not pay him, otherwise. The perk he does get, is a couple of days early access to some content.

Posted by: Derdhal.6908

Derdhal.6908

I’ve noticed with MMOs it’s better to look at opinions from people that actually like MMOs than it is to look to the regular video game websites I usually frequent for reviews because it takes someone who likes the MMO genre to give the most educated opinion.

Considering GW2 was announced at its launch as an MMO those who don’t like MMOs should try, I’m not sure this is really relevant for this game…

Behellagh.1468

Just wondering…where else would the You-tube content creators put the notice? Most don’t post, or rarely post, on the forums.

I know WP has a link for purchasing the game, and I also know he has stated that ArenaNet does not pay him, otherwise. The perk he does get, is a couple of days early access to some content.

I looked at 4 content creators with referral links and 3 include a shout out to ArenaNet for supporting them in the description section below the video. Sometimes above the “fold”, sometimes not.

• Many thanks to Arenanet, as please be aware these links support my channel!
  • This video is created with the support of ArenaNet.
  • This video was made with support from ArenaNet.

And support means assistance rather than a paid promotion to put out a pro-friendly video.

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Thanks for the responses. The reason why I’d like to see some transparency with this stuff is that with the next expansion promotion, I’d like to know which content creators and/or video game websites are receiving funds for promoting this game from ArenaNet and who likes the game but isn’t being paid and just want to give the public an objective opinion as to what they think about it. I’ve noticed with MMOs it’s better to look at opinions from people that actually like MMOs than it is to look to the regular video game websites I usually frequent for reviews because it takes someone who likes the MMO genre to give the most educated opinion.

Influencers have become a real issue. They don’t have to say they are paid and a lot of times make it look like they are being unbiased which is terrible. I hate having to be this cynical, but there are some really insidious practices with game companies paying content creators to promote their games without any transparency that they are doing that. I am NOT saying ArenaNet does this. I am merely wondering IF ArenaNet does this and if so, do they provide transparency about whether or not they pay influencers, promoters, and/or content creators. Would be nice to see some above board transparency in the industry.

They haven’t become a real issue" since the practice of paying “influencers” as you tag them has been happening since I started gaming with an Amstrad, when magazines and such older, traditional formats were being paid for better reviews and greater promotion space. It’s just part of the course with home gaming and always has been.

In fact it is arguably less of an issue now with the rise of youtube and independent reviewers and bloggers who are far more numerous than they used to be.

I’d doubt a list exists though. Such allegiance change regularly, whether it is because of broken embargoes, policy changes etc.

Posted by: Jon Olson

Jon Olson

Programmer

I’m not sure how up to date it is (or accurate it is in answering your question), but this page may be of interest.

Beta, Character Select/Create, Enhanced Squad UI, Play for Free, Raids, Streaming Client, & Mac

(edited by Jon Olson.8439)

Iason Evan.3806

I’m not sure how up to date it is (or accurate it is in answering your question), but this page may be of interest.

Thank you! That is precisely what I was looking for. Good to see the transparency. It’s very reassuring. Many other game companies are doing this without the transparency so that content creators and influencers look like they are offering up glowing praise for a title and aren’t being paid by said game maker but really are.

Huge kudos ArenaNet on being up front! I really appreciate it. With the game industry sliding downhill where honesty and integrity are concerned, it’s good to see you all are still trying your best to be transparent and up front with this kind of thing.

Behellagh.1468

Except they aren’t being directly paid to provide content. Just afforded certain courtesies and access because they are already a source of information for the game with a following. ANet uses them to help distribute accurate information across the fan base, rewarding (some) of them with a bounty for new/upgrade HoT and P4F accounts.

That’s totally different than what you are implying.

RIP City of Heroes

Iason Evan.3806

Except they aren’t being directly paid to provide content. Just afforded certain courtesies and access because they are already a source of information for the game with a following. ANet uses them to help distribute accurate information across the fan base, rewarding (some) of them with a bounty for new/upgrade HoT and P4F accounts.

That’s totally different than what you are implying.

Except I wasnt implying anything dude. I was asking a question and it was answered.

Posted by: Killthehealersffs.8940

Killthehealersffs.8940

Player: Woodenpotato is that true that you wont buy an other GW2 x-pack if has so low ammount of maps ?
Woodenpotatoe : Yes

Player :What your opinion about this x-pack ?
Woodenpotatoe : Its good, we have to see the ongoing content althought
Player: I am sorry , you have have partenership with Arenanet , you cant make objective reviews …

Player : Look on how many ppl are saying that the x-pack dont live up to 50 dollars ….exept the ones from the partnerships …
They must lower the price!

me : report for duty , sir ! :P
(oh oh new/old targets i can have bookmark and have ’’conversations’’ 24/7 +365 days :P
I might buy an mobile conection and let thiefs/chaos run rampart at work , just for that:P)

(edited by Killthehealersffs.8940)

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

You didn’t imply it, you outright stated it.

Hey all. Is there somewhere I can find a list of GW2 Influencers that are paid by ArenaNet? Is there any transparency with that at all? Does ArenaNet provide info as to who has been paid to do content so a person can differentiate between sponsored promotion and created content that isn’t backed by ArenaNet dollars?

Thanks in advance for any links or officially sanctioned lists showing who is paid to influence or promote and who just loves the game and wants to provide objective criticism.

The content creators is the list provided are not paid by ArenaNet. Thus, I’m not sure the list satisfied your request.

Regardless, if you are now happy, I guess the issue can be dropped. Good luck.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

You didn’t imply it, you outright stated it.

The content creators is the list provided are not paid by ArenaNet. Thus, I’m not sure the list satisfied your request.

Regardless, if you are now happy, I guess the issue can be dropped. Good luck.

I guess it depends on how you consider being paid. Many on the list Jon provided (if not all, I didn’t check every one) if you look at their YouTube videos and Twitch channels have links to buy the game that include referral codes. It is something Healix pointed out early in this thread.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/List-of-Paid-GW2-Influencers/first#post6356931

The way that works is they earn a small amount if someone follows the link with the code and buys the game. I think perhaps this is one thing the OP was considering as content providers earning a referral off of sales may have a bit of an agenda. Maybe not all the time but I can see where that would factor into their content if they are trying to generate sales.

So if you look at it like a lot of sales and marketing jobs they are being paid on commission by Anet. Just my 2 cents.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Posted by: Major Domo.9250

Major Domo.9250

Anet knows full well that if folks like Woodenpotatoes or Dulfy talk, their customers listen – so I don’t personally take offense to them getting access to content a day or two in advance so we can get the tl;dr version more quickly. In comparison, would it be considered improper for a well known movie critic to receive an advance copy of a new film for review, even if the critic was not being directly paid by the studio?

/cinematic

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

I don’t know about other countries, but in the US they do have to give information they are being paid. It is an FTC law for them to say if they are getting paid for the endorse through their video. They can either mention it during the video, or they can put it in as a part of the description.